THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
the_king
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Barnett has signed with Strikeforce!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Barnett has signed with Strikeforce! Empty Barnett has signed with Strikeforce!

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Great news Strikeforce have just signed the biggest free agent in MMA!

Barnett said

"Strikeforce is the home of the best heavyweight division in the world and I’m proud to be able to call it my home now. I’m looking forward to competing amongst the greatest fighters in the world and fighting my way to another world title."

Great to hear! My thoughts is that Barnett and Fedor will fight for the number 1 contender spot

Overeem will sit out after the K-1 GP and wait on his fight with Werdum. I dont want to see Fedor jump the queue and get a shot I want him to earn it like anyone else.

I think they should give Bigfoot a fight with Sergei or Rogers.

Id love them to snap up Ricco or the winner of Sylvia/Rizzo

cheers cheers cheers

Well done SF, Fucking great signing!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Barnett has signed with Strikeforce! Empty Re: Barnett has signed with Strikeforce!

Post  the_king Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

lets just hope he stays away from the roids so we get to see just how good he really is.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Barnett has signed with Strikeforce! Empty Re: Barnett has signed with Strikeforce!

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:32 pm

When everyone is fit and at their best, there's a realistic argument that Strikeforce now have the top 4 HW's in the world. cheers
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Yeah,no doubt,Strikeforce now have 4 of the best HW's in the world on there rosta now and add bigfoot,Arlovski,Sergei and Rogers,they can have some great match ups.

Not having a pop just because I'm a UFC fanboy Wink but I just hope they all do fight each soon and stay fighting in Strikeforce,instead of drawing these match ups out over the next few years,while taking on bums elsewhere between fights.

I'd like to see

Fedor v Barnett
    Werdum v Overeem for the belt

with the winners facing each other in their next fights for the title

then Bigfoot v Rogers and Arlovski vs Sergei

If these all stay competing against each other,there is posibilities for the next few years in Strikeforce to have some really good top draw HW fights with those 8 fighters.

Then you have Del Rosario,Cormier and Lavar to add to the mix,though personally I don't think Lavar has a chance against any of them,Cormier maybe,but personally i think he's to small and would be better suited for 205,Del Rosario would be my pick of the new comers,who would have the best shot at being competative with the top 8,but no matter how you look at this,these should be some exciting times for the Strikeforce HW division,it is now looking just as strong as the top end of the UFC's HW division,no doubt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:21 pm

You've forgotten Lashley! Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:38 pm

i hope they make them all fight too but non of them will i think.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Erm isnt Barnett still banned (Doesnt have a license) ?????
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:You've forgotten Lashley! Laughing

and Hershal and Batista,I don't know what I was thinking Smile

They must have sorted out his ban,whether it's over or not,I don't know(his debut may have to wait untill it's officailly over),but they must have gotten around it and are sure he will get re-licensed to come out with this anouncement.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:18 pm

This is great news! Some really good fights in the HW division. I'm guessing his ban must be over with? Or would Strikeforce maybe arrange fights out of the USA, or has he finally stopped trying to grow his chin?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Strikeforce have also signed up Jorge Masvidal

From Masvidal:

“I signed a 6 fight, 2 year deal with Strikeforce. Let the world know I am going to knock out everybody they put in front of me. I don’t have an opponent yet but I want a big fight; you know. I want Melendez or the next big name. No B level fighters. Beerbohm is good but nobody really knows him. I would like to get Kawajiri, that would be great.

That fight with Daley was bullshit. I am ready to get back in there and kick some ass.”

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Paul Daley signs with Strikeforce!

A long-rumored deal between Paul Daley and Strikeforce has officially been finalized.

MMA Fighting has confirmed with Strikeforce director of communications Mike Afromowitz that the former UFC and EliteXC welterweight contender has signed a multi-fight contract with the organization.

The organization has yet to decided when the British fighter will make his Strikeforce debut.

The news comes just days after Strikeforce finalized deals with lightweight Jorge Masvidal and heavyweight Josh Barnett. Coincidentally, Daley defeated Masvidal via unanimous decision last Saturday at Shark Fights 13 in Amarillo, TX.

Daley (25-9-2) is 2-0 since getting released from the UFC moments after he punched Josh Koscheck right after the final bell at UFC 113 in May.

At the post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White said that, as a of a result of Daley's actions, "Semtex" would never fight again inside the Octagon.

"He's done," White said. "I don't give a [expletive] if he's the best 170-pounder in the world. He'll never come back here again.

"There's no excuse for that. These guys are professional athletes. You don't ever hit a guy blatantly after the bell like that, whether you're frustrated or not. It was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen because he is a talented guy, and he is one of the best 170-pounders in the world."

So Daley moved on, and picked up a win in July at Impact FC 2 in Australia against Daniel Acacio.

The former Cage Rage champion rose to prominence in the North American MMA scene when he fought Jake Shields for the EliteXC 170-pound belt on CBS in October 2008. Unfortunately for Daley, was submitted in the second round by Shields.

The 27-year-old's highest profile wins came against Martin Kampmann and Dustin Hazelett in his first two UFC fights.

The current Strikeforce welterweight champion is Nick Diaz. He'll defend his title Oct. 9 against KJ Noons on Showtime.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Some great fights in Strikeforce for Daley.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm

yeah a contender match with Cyborg is pencilled in for November.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Should be a good one,Zaromski's would be a fun one also,I only want to see Daley matched up against strikers really at the mo,because otherwise I just see him in boring fights with guys just taking him down and basicly sitting on him.I might be wrong but his last few fights have left that impression on me.

Diaz would sub him whenever he felt like it,but we all know Diaz would start off the fight trying to prove he is the better Striker and would go toe to toe.So I still think this would be fun fight also,but the instant this fight hits the deck,then IMO,it's fight over.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Diaz doesnt have great takedowns, but i guess you don't need to to take Paul down...even then i fancy Pauls chances of stopping them and making is primarily a striking battle.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I would really hope that turned out to be the case,if those two do end up fighting.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Barnett wants Arlovski...

You know, one thing that just seems to keep following me around like a bad small is a match-up with Andrei Arlovski, I don’t know why. It doesn’t matter whether he’s on a losing streak or a winning streak or Japan or the US, his name keeps popping up consistently. So I imagine he’s probably going to be the first on the list.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:00 pm

"I spoke with several other companies prior to this, and what kind of visibility they were able to offer, and what they could offer in terms of opponents, and just keeping me active, my ability to do work outside of fighting, or even just fighting outside of that company, or professional wrestling work, or if I wanted to do any TV or movie work... When it comes down to it, the thing that matters most to me is being able to fight. I just want to make sure I can get out there and crack as many heads as possible... [Strikeforce's visibility] matters big time, cause when I dislocate and tear somebody's head completely off their shoulders and spew blood all over the ring, and then drink it, I want the whole world to see it. I'd love to fight on CBS. Punch somebody so hard that their eyeballs pop out of their head... In due time. There's not too many people all that chomping at the bit and so ready to meet their death."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 3:58 am