THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
sunthunder
the_king
The_Axe_Emperor
manschesthair_utd
mikeyboybisping
9 posters

Bisping v Akiyama

mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Bisping v Akiyama Empty Bisping v Akiyama

Post  mikeyboybisping Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:33 am

Michael Bisping is a man that is always in the spotlight. Since he won The Ultimate Fighter 3 back in 2006, the Wolfslair star hasn't had a minute to look back and reflect on his successful career. He stands at a record of 9-3 in the Octagon, having entered the UFC undefeated as a former Cage Rage, and Cage Warriors, light heavyweight champion. It's a CV that many in the sport can only dream about.

Today, the thirty one year old is one of the most recognised fighters in the UFC and was one of the men who kick started the spike in the sport's popularity in the UK. He has a "Fighter of the Year" trophy in the bag from Nuts Magazine in 2008, a "Coolest Man in the UK" award from Zoo Magazine and despite his last fight being over four months old, his name is all over Twitter and the internet, as his war of words with middleweights Chael Sonnen and Patrick Cote escalates online.

In between filming scenes for several future episodes of Hollyoaks, signing autographs for fans in various GameStation stores and spending time at home, Bisping has to find time to prepare for a fighter who has only lost once in five and a half years. Yoshihiro "Sexyama" Akiyama is his opponent on October 16th at the O2 Arena in London.

"It's seven and a half weeks out from the fight now and now the proper camp will start and I'm at a good starting point" he said when we caught up with him last week. "You know, sometimes you can let yourself go after a fight, but I've managed to maintain an overall decent level of fitness and conditioning".

The fight with Akiyama is expected to be a great battle for both men, with Bisping coming off the back of a good unanimous decision victory over Dan Miller at UFC 114. Akiyama, who fought Chris Leben in a potential fight of the year candidate at UFC 116, is known for his judo ability having won two gold medals as a competitor. It's something Bisping is already prepared for, despite rumours of a Vitor Belfort fight earlier in the year.

"I've never questioned an opponent once, and the UFC will back me up on that, but there was talk of it being Vitor Belfort originally and I thought - "that's a tasty one", you know?" he admits.

"But obviously, I said I wasn't going to turn it down and then low and behold the opponent was changed at the last minute to Akiyama. I think he's very dangerous, but it's certainly a fight that I should win. I see myself as the favourite in this fight and if I don't win, then I'll be very disappointed.

"As I've said, he's dangerous, he's an exciting fighter, but I do think that if I fight to the best of my ability then I should be able to deal with him".

The fight with Akiyama is Bisping's third main event fight - and his first at the O2 Arena in London. The thought of headlining the event excites Bisping, who admits that fighting at that particular venue will be a fantastic experience.

However, some UK fans have voiced their displeasure over the fight card, as well as the headline attraction, despite the event almost selling out in record equalling time. Bisping remains disappointed at some of the comments made on various forums about himself and the fight, but concedes that it is to be expected once you put yourself in the public eye.

"To be honest, you've got to have thick skin in this business - you put yourself in the public eye and you're going to get negative comments" admits Bisping.

"I think now it's become the cool thing to slag me off - I don't know where it's come from a lot of it to be honest. You know, I'm an approachable guy, I always have time for everyone and yeah, sometimes I say some things sometimes that might piss people off a little bit, but most of the time it's tongue in cheek and I'm having a laugh and they don't get that" he adds.

"To see if from some of the UK guys pisses me off. I've been a proud ambassador of UK MMA, I've worked hard and I've helped grow the sport to where it is. I haven't disappeared off to America, like some Mohican wearing people and lived there and trained there, but then come back here and pretend I'm English.

"My roots are here in England and I stay here and I train here and I'm proud to be English. You know, I don't go training in America because the trainings better, but then come here and try and get all the UK fans on my side. I'm English and this is where I'm from and this is where I train".

Whilst the fight with Yoshihiro Akiyama is firmly on Bisping's mind, he's been forced to watch on as various middleweights have commented on a potential fight with the Wolfslair fighter in the future. First up was Patrick Cote, who recently said that Bisping was "arrogant" and "over-rated" in an interview on the Fighters Only website. It's something that Bisping has taken offence to.

"Patrick Cote is a piece of (expletive)" says Bisping "I've met Patrick Cote a couple of times. I've always found him to be okay, we've shook hands and I've had no issue with Patrick Cote and then out of the blue, he's talking (expletive) about me.

"He's just trying to make himself relevant again and he's trying to talk himself into a fight with me, which I'm not going to oblige" he continues. "I know I'm talking about him now because you asked, but I've just distanced it. I think I'm above Patrick Cote and he's beneath me. He needs to stop talking (expletive) about me and get his arse in the gym and try and win a fight".

Another middleweight who has been linked to a fight with Bisping is Chael Sonnen, with the latter saying on the MMA Live show that he will "bury Bisping where he stands" if he addresses him in public again. That hasn't settled too well with the thirty one year old, despite Bisping being impressed with his recent performances.

"Recently, he's looking phenomenal. I mean, (in) his last three fights he's been very dominating and he's been great" says Bisping. "I think personally he's a bit of a tool to be honest. Okay, he's great at what he does and I've definitely laughed my arse off at some of his comments. I think he's great, he's awesome at promoting a fight, he really is, but he's delusional and he's so far up his own arse it's unbelievable".

"I'd love to fight Chael Sonnen" he continues. "He said on MMA Live that if I ever address him in public again that he'll bury me where I stand. It's big words and I take offence. I mean I'm laughing now, but he's got a cheek to go on international television and say that.

"That's basically threatening me. He's not saying he'll fight me in the cage, but he said he's going to bury me where I stand, which obviously, I take issue with ever so slightly. But whatever, leave him to it".

Whilst the fight camp is well under way for most of the fighters competing at UFC 120, Bisping has spent the last few weeks of his preparation in and out of the gym as he films his acting part in Hollyoaks. It's something that the middleweight has enjoyed doing, and whilst he admits that he is a fighter first, he would love the opportunity of more acting experience in the future.

"I did a movie last year, which is just being released actually. I've read some reviews on the internet and it's not too bad" he laughs. "I did some acting lessons leading up to that obviously. Anything I do I take seriously, so I did some acting lessons, and really enjoyed that".

"We came back here and we had some talks with Lime studios - who make Hollyoaks" says Bisping. "They presented me with an opportunity to be in Hollyoaks Late Night. It's five, one hour long episodes, and it's a very gritty storyline shall we say. I play a bad guy in it and it's good, I enjoyed it. I think I've done a good job and again, I really enjoyed it".

For Bisping, the fight camp for Akiyama is now fully on his mind. Having put aside all the distractions, he is less than eight weeks away from another big fight in his career. With all eyes on the O2 Arena, he is preparing himself for a huge test when the cage door shuts.

Without looking too far past his opponent, Bisping feels a rematch with Wanderlai Silva could be on the cards after this fight, or possibly a fight with Chael Sonnen. Either way, he just wants to fight the top guys.

"I think if I beat Akiyama well, I think either a rematch with Wanderlai or Chael Sonnen or Marquardt or whoever the top guys are in line for the title - I want to fight one of them contenders and then hopefully get a shot".

With all eyes on the middleweight division over the next few months, you can be certain Michael Bisping will be in the mix.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/wrestling-wwe-ufc-mma/2010/09/mirrortko-world-exclusive-mich.html
    {
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bisping v Akiyama Empty Re: Bisping v Akiyama

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Bisping v Akiyama Sexy-y
    Bisping v Akiyama Down_imagejo
    Bisping v Akiyama Akiyama
    Bisping v Akiyama Ctmpphpokibeuws4
    Bisping v Akiyama 2d0mdqc
    Bisping v Akiyama 1263843054Bisping v Akiyama %EC%B6%94%EC%84%B1%ED%9B%88
    Bisping v Akiyama 00akiyamasilver
    Bisping v Akiyama Akiyama
    Bisping v Akiyama Akibipbttf
    Bisping v Akiyama Danhendersonmichaelbisp
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:57 pm

mikeyboybisping wrote:
    With all eyes on the middleweight division over the next few months, you can be certain Michael Bisping will be in the mix.

{

No, no he wont.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 pm

whats with all the people who hate bisping. he hasnt ran his mouth any more than anyone else. he is english and a succesful mixed martial artest we should all get behind him.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 pm

the_king wrote:whats with all the people who hate bisping. he hasnt ran his mouth any more than anyone else. he is english and a succesful mixed martial artest we should all get behind him.

Picking on and poking fun at people who are deaf, boasting about fights you won and how easy they were even though the whole world knows you should have lost, disrespecting legends of the sport, trash talking and calling out fighters much better than you and therefore fighters you have no right to slander, the list goes on and on. Hes an arsehole and just because hes English doesn't mean he deserves respect.

Oh, and he isn't even that good.

Fighters like Dan Hardy, Paul Kelly and Terry Etim are fighters we should get behind because they're good fighters with good personalities, Bisping is a prick.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm

the point im getting at is when people just say he is a prick cos he runs his mouth, i have never heard him talk trash more than any other whats he supposed to say before a fight that he will lose no chance.

as for picking on deaf people that was stupid but other fighters like sonnen called lance armstrong for cancer.

personally i like bisping and its just down to opinions but everyone seems to hate him yet when he fights everyone loves him in the arena. (uk arena's not usa they hate him.)
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeah, Bisping's all class.

http://www.mmaresolutions.com/michael-bisping-calls-patrick-cote-an-irrelevant-piece-of-sht

Seriously King, Bisping is just a turd. He's the most coddled fighter in the whole sport. He gets given easy fights against very beatable opposition or the very top level guys. That way the UFC can say "oh look he only loses to the very best guys" even though his best wins are Leben and Kang.

He frankly has no right to even talk about guys like Sonnen, who has done more in the past 12 months than Bisping has done in his entire career. He was a dick to Hammil who was nothing but gracious in bullshit defeat, disrespected Henderson and Wanderlei, then goes off on Cote and Sonnen who didn't start anything against him.

Honestly, I hope Akiyama KO's him and leaves him fish-gulping on the canvas.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:56 pm

i see your point, one thing that gets on my nerves about bisping and im a fan of his. is when he wins a couple of fights and rogan says how about a title shot next he says no not ready but then when he loses he says he is going to re-build and go for a title fight. but apart from that i think he is a good fighter.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:00 pm

He's not a bad fighter, but he thinks he's far more than what he actually is.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:02 pm

yeah he is a good fighter he comes out with something different everytime, just wish his striking was more solid he has promised a KO for quite sometime.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

I want Bisping to win,the same way as I want all English fighters to win,when they are fighting,but thats just me.

I don't care for his attitude or arrogance though,I personally think he's a prick,but I thought the exact same about guys like Naz and Eubanks in the past,it never stopped me wanting them to win there fights either.(Now if Bisping was fighting another English guy,then I'd hope he gets sparked)

But thats the thing with Bisping,his persona rubs people up the wrong way and his attitude towards other fighters stinks,thats why most people really want to see someone shut his mouth,he's a villian of the sport and the majority of fans always want to see a villian get his comeuppance.If he means to play this role or not is a totally differant subject.(plus UK fans are hardly the most patriotic fans in the world,when it comes to our own sports stars and teams are they Rolling Eyes ).

I think Bisping has good allround skills,but sometimes his game plans can be effective but fail to entertain,he becomes to cautious,which for a stand up fighter,is not what fans want to see,especially after listening to his prefight speil about how he's going to do this that or the other to his opponents.

He's not championship contender material,but he's good enough to beat the majority of the MW's out there,for me he's probably good enough to break into and maintain a UFC's top 10 MW's position.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:12 pm

lol thanks payne thats what i was trying to say. you are right uk fans are not patriotic i think i feel the same about dan hardy as many people on here feel about bisping.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 pm

the_king wrote:lol thanks payne thats what i was trying to say. you are right uk fans are not patriotic i think i feel the same about dan hardy as many people on here feel about bisping.

Why?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:32 pm

just the opinion i have mate iv never liked him its nothing to do with what he does or says. just dont like him as a fighter.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Thats fair enough mate.

The reason i love Dan and hate Mike is cos i see Dan's trash talking as just that, trash talking, sort of tongue-in-cheek digs like calling Marcus Davis' Irish fetish a "gimmick" and the like.

Whereas i see Bisping's trash talking as just pure arrogance and self-centeredness (if thats even a word).
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 pm

yea lol that is a word. its all down to opinion at the end of the day. you like hardy so you see his trash talk as playfull and bispings as offensive because you dont like him. im the otherway round with them two.

the origional point i was on was im amazed how many brits hate bisping its unreal the stick he gets from his so called ufc fans. maybe its time for dana to change his uk poster boy.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:57 pm

i dont dislike him. i will cheer for him in most of his fights due to him being british, such as Kang or Miller or Leben, but when i actually like the opponent such as Wandi, Sexyama or Hendo then i will not.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:58 am

For the record.

I've never made a secret about my intense dislike for Bisping. Initially it was more aimed at UFC and Dana White. I didn't like the idea, that I was meant to like a fighter, based purely on his nationality. Now before folk start questioning my patriotism. I am ex-forces and spent time in both The Gulf and Ireland.
    Then it seemed that Mike wanted in on the hatred. The Hamill incident. His all round lack of respect for other fighters. His apparent loss of memory regarding his own career. Someone had said earlier that Sonnen gets away with exactly the same....Not in my book. A nob is a nob regardless of where he comes from. I can handle arrogance and gamesmanship, as long as the person can back this up with actions, but for me, Bisping is an average fighter, that's been given shots he never really warranted, simply because of his nationality. He's chinny, has very little punch power and is fighting at a weight lower than he should (I would imagine to avoid the bigger hitters in the sport).

Rant over
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I dont hate Bisping at all. Im not British, so there is no patriotic feelings about him whatsoever. Fair enough im not exactly his biggest fan, but i do like a fighter who can stir shit up before a fight to add excitement and try to improve his marketability etc.

Now before someone tells me to go watch WWE then Laughing , i just dont understand peoples full reason in absolutely despising the guy. Fair enough he was a prick to Hamill, but surely that doesnt warrant this sort of heat?

The rest of the stuff people are pissed about, cos he's disrespectful to opponents, to legends,etc.... I really dont mind that, cos trash talking does help an MMA fighters career, there is no doubt about that.

Also its not his fault, he is Dana's and Joe Silva tool, to get people MMA more main stream in UK. Infact most British fighters would consider it an honour
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:56 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:I dont hate Bisping at all. Im not British, so there is no patriotic feelings about him whatsoever. Fair enough im not exactly his biggest fan, but i do like a fighter who can stir shit up before a fight to add excitement and try to improve his marketability etc.

Now before someone tells me to go watch WWE then Laughing , i just dont understand peoples full reason in absolutely despising the guy. Fair enough he was a prick to Hamill, but surely that doesnt warrant this sort of heat?

The rest of the stuff people are pissed about, cos he's disrespectful to opponents, to legends,etc.... I really dont mind that, cos trash talking does help an MMA fighters career, there is no doubt about that.

Also its not his fault, he is Dana's and Joe Silva tool, to get people MMA more main stream in UK. Infact most British fighters would consider it an honour

He deserves the heat because of everything Pete has just said. Hes a crap fighter, thinks hes the best. Hes arrogant, thinkes hes honest.

As for the British fighters considering it an honour statement, yes, fighters like Hardy, Pearson etc would consider it an honour, but not The Cunt, he considers it his destiny. Rolling Eyes
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 am

You will all be surprised to hear, I HATE MICHAEL BISPING.

I hate him as a person because he's a dickhead and i say that having met him a number of times and trained in the same gym as him. I have ALWAYS SAID he was a dickhead, people refused to believe, then they saw him on TUF and realized.

I hate him as a fighter because he's average. No groundgame, average striking, no power, no chin. UFC wrapped him in cotton wool and fed him cans to make money in the UK and expected us to believe he was legit.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:11 am