THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Toquinho
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
7 posters

Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned Empty Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Bellator Fighting Championships concluded its hugely successful second season with two more thrilling upsets on Thursday as middleweight Alexander Shlemenko scored a stunning TKO and featherweight Joe Warren won a hard-fought split decision to emerge as the Season 2 Tournament Champions in their respective divisions.

The sold-out event at Louisville’s Fourth Street Live downtown entertainment district tied a ribbon on Bellator Season 2 in fitting fashion as fans were once again treated to a full card of electrifying fights that also included shocking upsets at bantamweight and in a Women’s Feature Fight.

But the night undoubtedly belonged to Warren and Shlemenko, whose victories earned them $100,000 in prize money and the chance to fight reigning Bellator World Champions Joe Soto and Hector Lombard, respectively, in world title fights this fall.

Shlemenko, a 26-year-old army combat fighter known for his reliance on spinning back-fists and leg kicks, came out swinging in his typical style from the opening bell. But it was a far-more-conventional right hook to the jaw that eventually finished the heavily favored Bryan “The Beast” Baker roughly mid-way through Round 1.

The devastating punch left Baker (13-2) dazed and slowly crumpled him to the canvas before Shlemenko moved in for the finish with a flurry of punches. Referee Jason Herzog stopped the fight due to unanswered blows at 2:45 into Round 1.

It was just the second time that Baker had suffered a loss as a pro with the other coming at the hands of UFC star Chael Sonnen more than two years ago.

“We had heard that Alexander Shlemenko was one of the best middleweights in Europe and he definitely proved that here tonight,” Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney said afterward. “He beat a very, very talented fighter in Bryan Baker and he’s more than earned the right to face our champion Hector Lombard later this year.”

Shlemenko, for his part, said the win was also a statement on behalf of all pure strikers in MMA today.

“This victory means that strikers soon will be all over MMA and that Bellator Fighting Championships will be owned by the strikers,” he said through his translator.

(Baker looked awful to be honest and the punch that rocked him just before the finish,proved to me that he has no chin at all,he is huge for this wieght,yet doesn't have a clue how to take advantage of his reach and kept coming in with his hands low and chin straight up in the air,I originally thought he would piss this fight but I called this stoppage after about 40 secs into the fight to the wife.)

Warren, meanwhile, took a far-more-circuitous route to his title. The 33-year-old former NCAA all-American and Greco-Roman wrestling world champion, appeared to be all but finished near the end of Round 1 when his opponent, the previously undefeated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Patricio Pitbull, dropped him to the canvas with a right cross and then began a vicious ground-and-pound and then locked in a deep rear naked just before Warren was saved by the bell.

But Warren rebounded in remarkable fashion during Rounds 2 and 3, digging deep and using his world-class wrestling skills to score points with a series of takedowns that were each followed by relentless ground-and-pound attacks punctuated with sharp elbows and stiff forearms to Pitbull’s head.

The split decision victory was even more impressive given that Warren spent much of the day battling a stomach virus that left him unable to keep food down or maintain his balance.

“I feel tired but I’m very happy now,” he said after the fight. “I fought a great fighter in Pitbull and now I’m the champion. I’m the baddest man on the planet!”

Rebney agreed, saluting Warren’s resilience and his will to win even in spite of his illness.

“He showed up tonight with a sickness that would have put a lot of people in the hospital and beat a world-class fighter and put on the kind of performance that you just can’t script,” he said. “What he did tonight was just epic and very, very impressive.”

(I'm not saying that there was any dodgy in this fight,but It was very wierd,Pitbull destroyed warren in the first and seemed at times he was just toying with him and at the end I wasn't even sure warren would be coming out for the 2nd,but from the second onwards,Pitbull did absolutely nothing and got took down with ease and just stayed on his back for about 3 mins with out really even attempting to try a sub or to get up and then the exact same in the 3rd,when all the 1st rd ,no matter what warren did,he didn't look close to taking him down also in the 1st Pitbull was schooling him with some clean boxing but again there was zero of that after the 1st,I just couldn't get my head around it.Still can't take anything away from Warren,especially after he was supposed to of been as Ill as he was,he very,very raw but he is one tough little son of a bitch and has a great personality to market himself,he's one of those arogant but funny characters that you either love or hate,he reminds me abit like a mini matt hughes with a sense of humour.
    After his last fight while getting his head stitched up,he introduced his wife to Karakhanyans (his last opponent) trainer,who said you already introduced us,warrens reply,sorry you'll have to forgive me,my memories not so good after your boy kneed the shit out of my head.Laughing

Earlier, in the first televised fight of the night, Fresno, Calif.-based striker Zoila “The Warrior Princess” Frausto scored a huge upset with a first round knockout of the world’s top-ranked 125-pound female fighter, England’s Rosi Sexton.

At just two minutes into Round 1, Frausto (7-1) landed a left knee to Sexton’s chin, knocking her unconscious and dropping her to the canvas before finishing her with three straight right hands to the jaw. It was just the second career loss for Sexton in 12 pro MMA fights.

“I saw the opening and I just threw the knee up,” Frausto said afterward, adding that she thinks she now deserves to be ranked No. 1 in the world at 125. “I’ve been shooting for No. 1 since I got into the sport. This is exactly why I got into MMA.”

(poor Rosie got KTFO,while she shot in for a takedown and ate a monster knee,the way she hit the canvas was near enough identical to what Rashad looked like after Machida sparked him,Rebney also mentioned after that he will have to check into how long she will have to be medicly suspended for and she might not make the up coming tourney now,I think he would love to replace her with Frausto,since Frausto's sister Stephenie got choked unconcious last week by Lisa ward for a spot in this tourney and it would set up a great family revenge match)

Also Thursday, in what was billed as an “Eliminator Bout” to determine the latest entrant into Bellator’s forthcoming Season 3 Bantamweight Tournament, two-time Wyoming state high school wrestling champion Nik “Garfield” Mamalis scored his second consecutive Bellator victory to improve his pro MMA record to 10-4 and punch his ticket into the tournament’s eight-man field. The soft-spoken Mamalis used an aggressive attack to neutralize L.A.-based rising star Albert Rios (12-5) via TKO at 4:40 into Round 1.

Afterward, Rebney said that Mamalis had more than earned his place in the Bantamweight Tournament draw.

“That’s what Bellator’s all about,” Rebney said. “it’s about giving a guy like Nik who hasn’t had a chance on the big stage the opportunity to that and then he takes that opportunity by the throat.”

Bellator returns to TV in August for its much-anticipated third season, which will feature eight-man tournaments at bantamweight and heavyweight as well as a first-of-its-kind Women’s Tournament showcasing eight female fighters ranked among the top 10 in their respective weight classes.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned Empty Re: Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:54 pm

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned Empty Re: Bellator 23 Results, Two Tournament Champs Crowned

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 am

Shocked

Wow that was a bit Brutal! Laughing KNEE!!!!!

Were any of the other fights good havnt got round to watching it yet. Bought Red Dead Redemption the computergame... glued to it! Ive wasted about 5 hours in the last 2 days pretending to be a cowboy! lol!
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:55 pm

I finished that game a couple of days ago, loved it. Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

How did u finish it allready? Takes me ages to complete those games, im taking my time over it... ive 3 months to kill till EA MMA comes out! Seriously good craic. I dont usually have time for more than a game of fight night or guitar hero or something, I like games you can just pick up play 5 mins and put down but this is awsome! Really enjoying it...

Here is that canibal you kill at the start the only one? or is it a bigger mission? Im kind of hoping for a complete "Hills have eyes" level! Laughing
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:55 pm

i had just finished uni for the summer and only working 3/4 days a weeks so have had quite alot of time on my hands to get addicted to it. Very Happy

I havn't quite reached 100% complete yet but done all the story missions and the stranger missions. I think the cannibal is just a one off unfortunately, but the game is awesome.
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:16 am

Toquinho wrote:i had just finished uni for the summer and only working 3/4 days a weeks so have had quite alot of time on my hands to get addicted to it. Very Happy

I havn't quite reached 100% complete yet but done all the story missions and the stranger missions. I think the cannibal is just a one off unfortunately, but the game is awesome.

In the same boat, cracking game, just got a couple of strangers left then collect some more trophies. Just gave it to my friend so he can have a go at it.

ON TOPIC: Sexton getting KO'd was brutal. Rough, but it happens. Schlemenko was awesome, very entertaining fighter.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:22 am

i really want that game but short on funds lately Sad just going to have to stick to my beloved fight night Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 am

Trade in a few old ones if u got any Shane, I only buy about 2/3 game a year and still spend 90% of my time on fight night!! Roll on EA MMA!

But this is seriously addictive too.

Also listening to Hank Williams III while gunning people down is just fun!

Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:46 am

my cousin usually gets all the latest games so i just get a loan off him once hes done with them got a good deal going lol you got fight night for xbox or playstation ben?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

Xbox mate, though my Router and Xbox are in different rooms at the min and havnt a wireless connetcion for the Xbox so cant get online yet. U Xbox too?
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 am

i am we should play sometime when you get all that sorted out whats your gamer tag and il add you
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:24 am

rudeboyben84! Laughing Aye deffo mate, ill get it sorted next week and let u know. Who is you charagter? Gatti?
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:33 am

i usually use the guy i made but yeah i use gatti when im using characters or de la hoya who do you use?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 pm

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 am

whoa!? talking about red dead redemption, how did i miss that?

I completed that game a few days ago (the story anyway, cant be arsed after that).

the best part is the multiplayer, anyone got it on PS3?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:11 pm

All Ive heard is good things about it so im seriously considering buying it in the next few days.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:13 pm