THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
ChelseaQuinsfan
pinsman
Moose Stuff For Money...
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
11 posters

News on Lesnar!!

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

News on Lesnar!! Empty News on Lesnar!!

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Just read this on MMA Junkie after a UFC post on Facebook:

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) says through a "miracle" of medicine, he will avoid surgery and return to the octagon this summer.

Lesnar, along with UFC president Dana White made the announcement on this morning's addition of ESPN's "SportsCenter."

The appearance was the heavyweight champion's first interview since being forced out of action with a series of ailments.

The ailment, which Lesnar confirmed was initially diagnosed as mononucleosis and then diverticulitis (or as Lesnar clarified in layman's terms, "a hole in my stomach"), has kept the champion out of action since July 2009 and forced the massive wrestler out of a scheduled November UFC 106 headliner with Shane Carwin.

Lesnar said he lost nearly 40 pounds after missing nearly three weeks of training camp and during an 11-day hospitalization and was told by multiple doctors that surgery was unavoidable. The champion said he continued to hold out hope that he could avoid an invasive procedure – which he says would have been career-ending – and through what he classified as "a miracle," a follow-up appointment on Jan. 5 showed his body had begun to heal itself.

"[The doctors] were dumbfounded," Lesnar said. "They couldn't find any problem in my stomach. It's just a miracle to me.

"I actually had to go to the doctor yesterday before I came out here and get another CT scan on my stomach because I just still can't believe it."

While an exact date for Lesnar's return was not announced, White said he hope to have his champion back in the octagon "this summer."

As Lesnar recovers, the UFC has booked an interim title fight at UFC 111 between former champion Frank Mir and top challenger Carwin, who was slated to face the champion before his illness struck. White said the winner of that contest would be in line for the first crack at Lesnar.

Should the winner of that fight prove unable to compete, White said the UFC 110 bout between fellow contenders Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera would serve as a backup plan.

Both Lesnar and White will take part in a media conference call later today to further discuss the situation. Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) for the latest on Lesnar's impending return
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

News on Lesnar!! Empty Re: News on Lesnar!!

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Do they really need an Interim fight then, if he's coming back in a few months? I dont like Interim belts.

I'm pretty confident Mir will beat Carwin in a few months, so the likelihood is Mir and Brock will be having the third rubber match in the summer. Maybe they should look into another opponent for Brock because he would have faced Mir 3 times in his first 6 fights!!!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm

No an Interim title is Pointless, and Nog diserves it as much as Mir, he just beat Couture and Mir beat Vera??? Anyway A year and a half off and they need an Interim title? I suppose its because someone lost out on a title shot so he was not ready to defend his belt. Then again how long did BJ get between defences? Theres plently of champs who havnt defended in over a year OVEROID anyone?? Couldnt agree more Red, Minowa's "Super HLUK" belt, although misspelt carries more weight as a real belt for me Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 am

Strange. He says he avoided surgery yet Dana said months ago that he did have surgery.

Was Lesnar on the show or just on a conference call does anyone know?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:26 am

Video released from Lesnar's training camp...

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:33 am

His "ju-jitsu/ground game" is untouchable apparently! Haha! Lying on someone and punching them in the face does not constitude a Ju-Jitsu game!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 am

Lesnar is going to become a one dimentional fighter and will be found out sooner or later, sooner would be nice!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:55 am

By who?

The only one at HW who I think would beat Lesnar is Fedor, Mir, Barnett, Velasquez and Carwin could beat him but they wouldn't start favourite. He isn't that well rounded but he is still a very good wrestler, has a lot of power, by far the best athlete in the HW division, very quick,explosive and probably the strongest and biggest fighter as well.

His Jiu-Jitsu game being untouchable is a laughable statement though, has he ever even trained in BJJ?
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:40 pm

I rely on you guys and youtube for footage (before Zuffa take it down), has Lesnar even attempted a submission before??? I thought he just takes you to the floor and mashes you?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm

ppozma wrote:I rely on you guys and youtube for footage (before Zuffa take it down), has Lesnar even attempted a submission before??? I thought he just takes you to the floor and mashes you?

well he won by submission due to strikes in his mma debut in Heroes but i guess that doesnt count.

shame, he would have a mean neck-crank if he could be bothered to do it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:57 pm

ppozma wrote:I rely on you guys and youtube for footage (before Zuffa take it down), has Lesnar even attempted a submission before??? I thought he just takes you to the floor and mashes you?

Mir 1...... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Frank_Mir_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_81?vid=10000995

Herring..... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Heath_Herring_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_87?vid=10001032

Couture...... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Randy_Couture_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_91_HQ?vid=10002153

Mir 2....... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Brock_Lesnar_vs_Frank_Mir_UFC_100?vid=10005555

These are all Lesnar's UFC fights, you shouldnt have to rely on youtube, try mma-core, mmalinker and mmashare for videos. If you need anything else just ask.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:59 pm

He actually used the neck crank against Mir in the second fight but used it more as more of a platform to set up punches.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:01 pm

He also used the rape choke against Mir also at 100, the guys BJJ is second to none Exclamation
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:09 pm

If he learned to do a guillotine he would be terrifying!
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Mir 1...... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Frank_Mir_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_81?vid=10000995

Herring..... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Heath_Herring_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_87?vid=10001032

Couture...... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Randy_Couture_vs_Brock_Lesnar_UFC_91_HQ?vid=10002153

Mir 2....... http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Brock_Lesnar_vs_Frank_Mir_UFC_100?vid=10005555

These are all Lesnar's UFC fights, you shouldnt have to rely on youtube, try mma-core, mmalinker and mmashare for videos. If you need anything else just ask.

Thanks man, do use mmalinker, mma-core is a new one for me! I can see the mrs being not very happy.....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:18 pm

I love were Lesnar sends Herring head over heels with a right straight and charges him... really cool moment!!!

I cant wait to see who will fight him between Mir/Carwin. Im looking forward to finding out how this will all play out.

If Mir looses I think he should fight Nog in a rematch regardless of if Nog wins or looses. Cain can fight the winner of JDS and Gonzaga for the next shot.

Lesnar vs Carwin is Deffo one I want to see. I think id rather see that than Mir vs Lesnar 3 right now. I want to see it down the line sometime but I want to see Brock matched up with someone now next.

What will Carwin do in a fight with Mir though? Mirs standup looks a lot crisper and I dont think Carwin could dominate him on the ground like Lesnar did since him and Mir are about the same size now.... Does anyone see Carwin winning? I cant picture it, its not unthinkable with his power and Mirs chin but I think Mir is a massive favorite.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Can't see Carwin winning, he seems a brawler from what I've seen-please don't shoot me down! Is it ok for a newbie to like Frank Mir? Seems to be more humble now and respectful-and enormous!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I wouldn't say massive favourite, but I agree with what your saying, he is a pretty big favourite and I have him winning. I think he will win by a knee bar or something like that, but he could potentiolly KO Carwin. We haven't seen that much of Carwin because all his fights have finished quick, we haven't seen much of his ground game or conditioing yet.

I think Mir will be bigger than Carwin in this fight, Mir has always been the bigger man but before he was just fat. Now he is all muscle unless he has joined Overoid in the horsemeat diet but I don't think so.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:52 pm

I like Mir, i know he is arrogant and likes to belittle some of the other HW's. But he was very respectful after 100, gave Brock full credit (even after Brock behaved the way he did), didnt come up excuses (He could have mentioned his knee which he had surgery on, and had heavily strapped)

Also after 92, he was very respectful of Nog, saying he was afraid before the fight, and not even he, really believed he would beat Nog....

People got on his back harshly, because he talked alot trash pre-fight to Lesnar and lost horribly, he also reacted poorly when news of Nog illness came up but people were trying to belittle his victory over Nog !!!!

He's very talented and still young, even though it seems like he has been around for ages now. Also had to come through adversity during his career after the horrific motor bike accident.

War Mir cheers
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:59 pm

ppozma wrote:Can't see Carwin winning, he seems a brawler from what I've seen-please don't shoot me down! Is it ok for a newbie to like Frank Mir? Seems to be more humble now and respectful-and enormous!

Carwin can bang on the feet for sure, not a total Brawler though as he is a good wrestler, he was the NCAA devision 2 champ in amature wrestling, he can basically just Throw fists and Wrestle... two dimentional! Laughing

I hate Frank Mir personally, I think he acted like a prick to Lesnar and was very disrespectfull to Nog. But each to their own! Then again I think he is a great fighter and really improved. I think he has a good chance of beating Lesnar and Carwin, though its a big ask, Mir has been KO'd by lesser fighters before and getting past two 280lbs+ powerhouses in a row is a big ask.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    ppozma wrote:Can't see Carwin winning, he seems a brawler from what I've seen-please don't shoot me down! Is it ok for a newbie to like Frank Mir? Seems to be more humble now and respectful-and enormous!

Carwin can bang on the feet for sure, not a total Brawler though as he is a good wrestler, he was the NCAA devision 2 champ in amature wrestling, he can basically just Throw fists and Wrestle... two dimentional! Laughing

I hate Frank Mir personally, I think he acted like a prick to Lesnar and was very disrespectfull to Nog. But each to their own! Then again I think he is a great fighter and really improved. I think he has a good chance of beating Lesnar and Carwin, though its a big ask, Mir has been KO'd by lesser fighters before and getting past two 280lbs+ powerhouses in a row is a big ask.

Agreed, but surely Mir wont try and stand up with this one??
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 pm

I dont know mate, he just dropped Kongo who UFC hype up to be the best striker in the devision (he clearly isnt!) Mir's Boxing looked great in the Nog fight as well. Sure Nog was a sitting duck as he was seriously ill but Mir's striking looked very crisp.

Mir was a bit hesitant to stand with Brock and rolled for a leg lock when they were throwing on the feet, but I think he has more confidence in his own standup now, why would you stand with Kongo insted of just taking him down where he has little to no groundgame? Mir showed balls by standing there and I can imagine him standing with Carwin too...

Mir now is a 280lbs+ heavy with crisp boxing and he can throw kicks... something Carwin hasnt demonstrated so far. Anyone that size who can throw headkicks has another big threat in their arsenal...

What do you see this playing out like ppozma? In one way, Carwin is wose in the ground than Lesnar and better on the feet so maby Mir wants this fight on the ground... on the other hand he just got dominated on the ground my a big wrestler and may want to avoid being in that situation again, I dont know how strong Mir is with his extra size but Id say the power advantage goes to Carwin and with his Wrestling background he might be able to "Lesanr" him!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 pm

I think Mir will try to stand with Carwin, people didnt think he stand with Kongo but he did.

Carwin although is not as technical at striking as Kongo, but he does have that silly KO power.

How long do you think Carwin-Duffee fight would last? lol!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Jesus that would be a good one, Duffee is a Monster as well.... I think there are so many good heavys around 265lbs its really time of another weight class... Maby hershal walker can make 205... Kimbo can make 205... Crocop cant make 205... Barry cant make 205...

In MMA some Superheavy sized guys have showed how much of an advantage being bigger is, Mir felt the only way to beat Lesnar was to bulk up. With more and more heavys trying to make the top of the weight class I think we could see a Cruiserweight weight class very soon.

Off Hand doesn anyone know how many Heavys there are near 265 or are cutting to make the weight?

Lesnar
    Carwin
    Mir
    Rogers
    Bigfoot
    Gonzaga
    Rothwell
    Nelson
    Syliva

Overeem and Aleks Emelianenko both came in at 260 for their last two fights.

Josh Barnett is usually between 255 and 260lbs

Most of the top 20 are made up of fighters who are 260lbs or over.

Does anyone think that we will see a Cruiserweight devision in MMA soon or at all?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

If they do bring one in i could see Fedor wanting to fight in both HW and CW!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:33 pm