THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
the_king
Once Mohawked Pete
ChelseaQuinsfan
MMA
9 posters

Anyone with fighting experience?

MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Anyone with fighting experience? Empty Anyone with fighting experience?

Post  MMA Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi All,

Im intrested to know how many of you do any sort of Martial Arts?
    How many of you have competed, whether it be: Light Contact, Points fighting and Full contact.

The reason i ask is ive been doing Kickboxing for 15 years and to be fair i am fairly bored of it, Ive done points fighting, Semi contact fighting and Full contact fighting for a Welsh Kickboxing organisation called KKAW (Korean Kickboxing Association Wales). My full contact record stands at 3 Wins 1 Lose via brutal KO.

I have never had a problem fighting Stand up, ok i get nervous as hell before a fight but who doesnt.

I want to try fighting MMA but to be honest i am a little petriefied of being beaten up on the floor, Being beaten up standing up is ok for me by the way!

What i want to know is have any of you gone from fighting in just kickboing fights to MMA fights and how did you find the transition!

Obviously I would get the training its just the mental bit i would like to get your views on!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Anyone with fighting experience? Empty Re: Anyone with fighting experience?

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Ive had two amatuer bouts, winning both. Im the opposite of you actually, ive trained submission wrestling for a long time. Standing up im actually kind of scared, when I first started sparring I kept ducking my head and backing off. After I took a few shots I kind of accepted it, my game actuaaly improves after I get hit because I kind of go insane Twisted Evil

Still, ive recently started training in Muay Thai because I have the right body shape, im a lanky guy so I thought I could adapt, ive taken a few lessons but still new a lot more before I even have a remotley decent standup game. Id like to train in BJJ and Judo as well.
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  MMA Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Lol I just find it strange that I dont mind being punched standing up, On the floor though i'm not to keen. I normally have to get punched before i wake up and realise im in a fight, the problem with that is ive been knocked out before so it could happen again.

Do you know any good wrestling schools in the UK? Preferably Wales but I am willing to travel!

Just out of curiousity what is 70kgs in lbs?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Im fairly certian its 155 lbs, or just under.

Sorry I never have trained in the UK, but im sure you can find something online somewhere.

Its common that fighters don't like being hit on the floor because standing up you can always hit back. On the floor you can be controlled and have your head beat in, especially the crucifix position which is a personal favourite. There is no espcaping that, a perfect execution of that is Velasquez on Jake O Brien and Joe Stevenson on Fisher and Marcus Davis.

My chin isn't the best either, ive never been KOed clean but in sparring I do get dropped more than I should.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:06 pm

70kgs = 154lbs or 11 stone.

I used to Box (15-1 as an amateur, primarily through Forces), Judo background, but, only sparred so far in MMA. Age is a factor, as I'm 42 now (probably missed the boat really), currently looking for a JJ school in Newcastle (checking out a couple after the new year, so, who knows). Despite the Boxing background, in sparring, I've always felt more at home, on the deck.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:36 am

complete opposite from anyone lol (im not like brock) but i did pro wrestling growing up but also did prize fighting on the street. i made the move to mma 7 years ago and im currently 3-0 in mma, im a stand up guy hate being on my back, the reason i havent fought so much is i had a life threatening injury 5 years ago now im fit to go again, truth is mma has changed so much from when i used to compete.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 am

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:70kgs = 154lbs or 11 stone.

I used to Box (15-1 as an amateur, primarily through Forces), Judo background, but, only sparred so far in MMA. Age is a factor, as I'm 42 now (probably missed the boat really), currently looking for a JJ school in Newcastle (checking out a couple after the new year, so, who knows). Despite the Boxing background, in sparring, I've always felt more at home, on the deck.

Let Herschal Walker be your inspiration!!

I've been doing martial arts all my life. I have black belts in Karate and TKD(despite not being great at either). Judo is my main discipline though. 4th Dan BB from the Kodokan Judo Institude in Tokyo. I've trained in many other aspects over the years but never had the heart or will to fight. I prefer to coach. My longterm goal is to set up my own fulltime academy teaching my own system of MMA.
    MMA
    MMA
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  MMA Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 am

Didnt realise there were so many people who were doing it! Alot of the time on MMA forums alot of the people havent done any sort of martial arts but feel fully qualified to talk about it!

Thanks for the posts anyway guys. Looking forward to starting the new year with a martial arts. Hopefully fingerscrossed ill have shit hot take down defence to rival Liddell. Cant see it happening though!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:54 am

MMA I started off Striking as well, I did Kickboxing when I was a kid for a bit (In Prokick) Ive since done Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Thaijutsu and MMA.

Grappling came fairly natural to me as I took off at Wrestling and Judo, Ive usually no problem getting dominant positions because Ive a realativley low centre of gravity but I suck at Subs!

Ive never fought competitivley (offered a fight but wasnt going to make 155lbs!!) Ive had some serious Sparring sessions though, One I nearly got my lights turned out by a headkick from a Shw! and one I stopped someone by 3 Konckdowns with Bodyshots! (Those Karate boys need to tuck in their elbows!)

Ive been out of full time training 2 years this Feburary. I havnt even been arsed to go out and hit the heavybag. Im sure like most people on here ill start the new year with good intentions though! Ill have to start hitting the weights and heavybag at least, maby back to BJJ or Judo.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:00 am

the_king wrote:complete opposite from anyone lol (im not like brock) but i did pro wrestling growing up but also did prize fighting on the street. i made the move to mma 7 years ago and im currently 3-0 in mma, im a stand up guy hate being on my back, the reason i havent fought so much is i had a life threatening injury 5 years ago now im fit to go again, truth is mma has changed so much from when i used to compete.

I trained as a pro wrestler too! unfortunately never got on a show as the guy that was training me ran out of money!

Have also done some basic lessons in sport karate and jiu jitsu
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Let Herschal Walker be your inspiration!!

I've been doing martial arts all my life. I have black belts in Karate and TKD(despite not being great at either). Judo is my main discipline though. 4th Dan BB from the Kodokan Judo Institude in Tokyo. I've trained in many other aspects over the years but never had the heart or will to fight. I prefer to coach. My longterm goal is to set up my own fulltime academy teaching my own system of MMA.

I decided a few years ago, that I wasn't a huge fan of getting punched in the face, so leaving it to the young ones. I pass on my experience to those guys and live vicariously through them. Seriously though, enjot the training/banter and sparring, but competition now? Nope. Hope it all goes well with the longterm plans though.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 pm

i have had 7 muay thai fights started it early 2008
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:40 pm

snap as above, except im long retired, 7 muay thai fights, oner more than i lost is my claim to fame with one draw thrown in the mix (thats tonights math queestion sorted Very Happy )

started v late in life, kinda mid thirties panic that stuff i wanted to do was gonna get missed, there was def a point tho when it didnt matter how i trained fitness went off on its holidays so im gonna reckon that mohawk is right at missin the boat at 42

as for mma, i reckon u need a different brain to stand up, dealin with someone goin psycho on u in stand up is easy, keep movin and meet it head on when its right, but despite flirtin with bjj i never felt i wanted someone sittin on me goin psycho Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:49 pm

I think as a 4th Dan you have to be pretty decent Laughing

Happy new year lads.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:51 pm