THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight. Empty Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 am

Love to see this happen because surely that toe is going to make Jones sit out for a bit. Anderson seems willing to fight him so when he returns if Weidman loses I see Bones vs Anderson. Gus and Machida might as well fight because they are the 2 clear top contenders. Im backing Machida, I give him more chance to beat Bones too. All top contenders are matched up so im hopefull this will happen. Machida UD.
    AlanVanDamme
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight. Empty Re: Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight.

Post  AlanVanDamme Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 am

Makes sense. I've got Machida in this one too. I'm a big Machida fan but I think he has the best shot of the current LHW's against Jones. Machida seems to want the fight badly too. I'm not sure how many other LHW's actually want to get in the octagon with Jones at this stage. He is destroying people. I actually feel a bit worried for some of his opponents longterm health at times.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight. Empty Re: Gus and Machida both up for number 1 contenders fight.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 pm

I think Machida being a rare guy who covers distance faster than Jones is a huge deal. If you Tie up with Jones you get taken down no matter who you are. Staying at striking range is hard given his reach but I honestly think Machidas speed would allow him to stay standing and avoid Jones getting a hold of him.

Gus im still not confident in, he needs to beat someone like Evans (When he wants to wrestle) Davis in a rematch or someone of that level who is a wrestler to see if he has any chance of avoiding Jones smashing him with elbows from the top. If he had Gus in some of the positions Davis did he would be a lot less forgiving.

I give Glover the 2nd best chance. He is a HUGE lhw with great wrestling who might have a hope of keeping a fight standing and landing a KO blow because he has some good stopping power. Lets hope Te-Huna doesnt throw a spanner in the works of him going after the title.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I'd back machida over gus,but I still think Jones comfortably beats Machida in a rematch.Personally,I'd hope Gus would take it,just to become a fresh opponent for Jones.
    though I'm pretty confident Jones,even though gus evens things up when talking size and range,would take him down and destroy him.I just can't help but think of the Phil Davis fight.

I've been on the Glover bandwagon for a good while and think he will becomes the clear #2 LHW and the most interesting challenger for Jones,but it could still take him a year plus to get there.

Cormier could be the one,if he can get down in weight,which by the way he's talked about his previous weight cut problems,makes it seem more unrealistic.I thinks it's more likely jones and Cormier wait and fight each other down the road at HW.

I know you should never say this in MMA,but It just seems very unlikely to me that any of the current guys at LHW can take the belt off Jones.
    He'll not lose the belt,he'll relinquish it when he moves up to HW.

I want to see Jones try and set the record at 10 defenses,then move up to HW,that gives him 5 more fights.

Gus,because he's a new,young,similar sized opponent.
    Machida,because so many think he is the toughest opponent for Jones still.
    Hendo,because i was looking forward to that one in the first place and it would make the perfect retirement fight for Hendo.
    Glover,and one of Mousasi,Feijao,Davis or Te Huna,or who ever is the most relevant opponent at the time.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Cormier vs Glover for the number 1 contender would be great. Glover has really good wrestling himself and his BJJ and Striking are on a different level to Cormier, I think he would beat stop Cormiers run.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 13, 2013 3:49 pm

I'd rather see Cormier, Gus and Glover be Jones' next 3, rather than see them fight each other.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm

That said, I think Cormier beats him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah id rather see them all get a fight with him, They should keep the champs as active as possible. I hate seeing a queue of deservicing contenders building up.

Cormier hasnt really blown me away, I think Jones has as good MMA wrestling as Cormier does. Maby not as good wall and stall but his trips make his takedowns as good and his TDD as good because I havnt seen anyone take either down.

Cormier needs work on all aspects of his MMA game other than wrestling and he might be too old to close the gap.

I think Glover would beat Cormier head to head.

Machida > Glover > Cormier > Gus

Thats how I think the Lhw challengers really stack up to each other and Jones.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:49 pm