THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
6 posters

Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option. Empty Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option.

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Weidman is out for a year and Anderson will likely defend his belt in spring but who against?

Id say these are the likely challengers

1. Evans (if he beats Nog and drops down)
    2. Lombard (if he beats Okami)
    3. Rockhold - although id say he needs a win in the UFC. Philippou or Belfort are the most likely fights to get him that shot.

Id also like to see Jacare in a big fight because I feel he is reasonabally close to the title shot. He should get Philippou/Belfort as well.

When Munoz is back id like to see him fight Bisping.

There are a lot of exciting fights left for Anderson, I hope he fights more frequently in 2013.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option. Empty Re: Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option.

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Actually Lombard fights in March... not likely he will be the man getting the shot again.

Could Rockhold walk into a title shot without a UFC win? His name has stopped being talked about as much because he was too "injured" to fight on the last SF cards.

Rashad fights Feburary so to beat Nog and then cut to 185 to fight Anderson in 2-3 months might be a big ask.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option. Empty Re: Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option.

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I'd like to see Rashad drop and take the fight,Rashad has the style to be a serious challenge for Silva I think,but I think timing wise,it looks like Rockhold just might get the Champion vs Champion fight now.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 pm

UFC are putting togeather Belafort vs Rockhold aparently, Costa wants Bisping next. No idea who he will fight.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 am

Silva's camp are wanting the Rockhold fight

With the knock out loss to Vitor Belfort , Michael Bisping lost the chance to face Anderson Silva and hence embolou the middleweight category (up to 84kg) UFC. Now, they appear as leading candidates are the very Belfort, Chris Weidman , Luke Rockhold and Rashad Evans , who is heavyweight (up to 93kg), but has said he would come down in weight if it were to face the Spider. The business owner's belt, Jorge "Joinha" Guimarães, reviewed the names and showed preference for Rockhold, Strikeforce middleweight champion and you just move to the UFC from other athletes extinct event:

- All of these are accredited, but we'd like a fight against Luke Rockhold is, what is the current Strikeforce champion. He is accredited to fight Anderson. It would be champion against champion. It's a good fight to promote - told SPORTV.COM.

translation by Google...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Hmmm looks like UFC are as in the dark as we are. I wouldnt have a problem with Rockhold getting the title shot. He is young enough to rebound from a loss anyway.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Anderson I bet is livid Bisping lost that fight to Vitor that was the dream/easy fight for him.

I think Rockhold is the option that makes most sense a Champion v Champion fight always appeals to fans and It should do well at the box office. I hate to say but It seems very obvious Anderson and his camp are flat out ducking Weidman they want no part of that fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 am

Weidman has beat Munoz, Maia and Tom Lawlor.
    Rockhold has beat Kennedy, Jacare and Jardine.. as well as Jesse Taylor

Id say he is about as worthy of the shot than Weidman. Weidman was supposed to be in a number 1 contenders fight with Boetsch before he lost so I dont think he is above other people in the devision. Rockhold has a belt as well as similar wins so if he gets Anderson insted of fighting Vitor id be cool with it.

Id have Lombard over him with a win over Okami. He is a legend who should get his shot over a 28year old guy with 9 MMA fights.

Id agree he is a threat to Anderson, more so than Rockhold even because no one will outstike Anderson, especually not with Rockholds style and without the wrestling to threaten a TD with front footed striking. Id say Weidman has a good style to beat Anderson but he hasnt earned the shot.

Lombard IMO is still the biggest threat and id back him over Weidman. Let Weidman fight, even beat someone like Cung Le. Id dont care but after injury and not exactly hall of fame wins id want to see him get another one before Anderson should be excited about fighting him.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am

I don't know when Weidman is back or if Rashad is dropping in weight class but I can easily see those two matching up for a #1 contenders fight while Silva deals with whoever....

I can see Silva giving it away this year too - he has about cleared his weight class and I think he should keep his legacy intact
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 am

Ed Soares has talked about the potential for a title defence against Cung Le!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Cung likes the Idea

"I was definitely surprised by it. I'm honored by it. If the UFC wants the fight, then, you know, after our discussion, I am totally open for it. I wouldn't be ready for him tomorrow or next couple of weeks, but if I have the proper amount of time to train and get in the right mind set, then let's do it. I didn't do any campaigning. My name got thrown in the mix and I'm honored, so whatever happens from here is going to be up to Anderson and up to the UFC. For me, I open to it and I'm excited to hear that my name is in the mix."

But honestly,

Vitor
    Weidman
    Lombard
    Rockhold

there are too many people a level above him. He is a figher with only a handfull of fights and lost to Scott Smith and Old Shot Wanderlei... He isnt a top figher any more. I think he should try to get a fight with Bisping or the likes and work his way up. He would jump far to many fighters ahead of him for a shot to be realistic.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Did someone say Cung Le vs Anderson Silva ?.

Anderson defending his belt in Spring, Weidman isnt an option. 31459-330-0
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 pm

No doubt Shields will want Cung if he stays at 185? Think he is going to 170 but Jacare or Stann if he beats Wand might fancy a fight with him. His profile is high after the franklin fight but Andersons camp have been the only noise about that fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Dana though Weidman was out longer that he was...

"I actually thought that Weidman was going to be out a lot longer than he was because of his injury, but he's claiming he'll be ready to start training again in a couple of months. We're looking at a couple of different options right now, some options that we like, and Weidman is one of them."

Weidman said if Anderson will fight him 4th July weekend he will even give him an imediate rematch if Anderson looses. I admire Weidmans confidence! I dont have a big problem getting a title shout but after injury id like to see him earn it again.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Judging by Dana's recent comments about "waiting to see how something plays out next month" it's going to be Rashad dropping.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah Rashad has said he is going after Anderson if he beats Nog. Im dieing for Nog to knock him out. One thing is for sure Nog looks in the best shape ive ever seen him at the weigh in's. Id really love to see him do a Machida and turn Shads light out.

Even if Rashad looses Id still like to see him move to 185.

Weidman is really pushing for the shot and Ed Sores said if he fights in Brazil they would consider him. I think he should stop doing a Sonnen and talking himself into a shot off the back of a Munoz win ages ago.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:20 am