THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
sunthunder
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7 Empty Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

How do you beat Frank Mir? Being a good wrestler who can throw hands... on shit ol Mir is in trouble here.

On paper you have 2 top 10 guys fighting, it works that way but style wise Cormier could be the worst matchup around for Mir. I cant see him not doing a Carwin, Cormier is crazy strong and although he will likely give up 25lbs to Mir he is the one who will do the pushing around.

Now I do think Cormiers striking is overrated especially his punch power (Which IMO is the most over rated part of his game) but havng said that I dont see him having trouble putting Mir into the cage and landing at will. His strengths are Mirs biggest weaknessed. I dont like Mirs chances in this one. Its a bit like Barnett vs Cormier. Yeah sure he can maby win a grappling match but Cormier is only going to the ground when he wants to.

Now Mir is a better striker than Barnett no questions so will fare better standing but he is also physically weaker and will get pushed about more as well as Barnetts chin being much more solid. Id be supprised if he made it the distance even if its a 3 rounder.

Anyone giving Mir a chance?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7 Empty Re: Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Ive become a bit of a fan of Cormiers by him saying this abot not wanting to fight Hendo...

"I've kind of got a man crush on Dan Henderson."

Laughing

Cant blame him, its the smile for me

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7 Dan-henderson-teeth_display_image

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7 Empty Re: Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7

Post  sunthunder Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Anyone giving Mir a chance?

Nope.

Just out of curiosity Ben, what do you see as over-rated about Cormier's striking beyond his power?

I think there's a lot of great stuff Cormier does standing that few other heavyweights really do. He actually uses a jab to get inside, which most shorter fighters in MMA tend to entirely ignore, as well as left hooking off the jab.

Also, whenever Cormier engages, he pretty much always angles off when he exits, which is something very few heavyweights other than a prime Cro Cop have ever done. Also whenever he ends up getting clinched upon getting inside, he off balances his opponent with his wrestling and spins out, quite often throwing punches when he breaks the clinch. He's also shown great head movement.

A lot of that stuff is why I think Cormier is a more engaging heavyweight than he is as a prospective light heavyweight. His wrestling and power, combined with his surprisingly nimble and versatile boxing is something that is obviously going to fox most heavyweights, but at 205 he probably won't enjoy the same relative speed advantage.

In regards to him facing Mir, I think he wrecks him. I actually think there are aspects of Barnett's striking game that are superior to Mir's. He's lighter on his feet, utilizes better head movement, and is far more durable. I think Mir is an all round better offensive striker, but he's plodding, with porous defense.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am

Technically not a lot wrong with him at all mate, he does tend to overcommit to punches in a way a lot of Wreslters do that leave them open (Hendo or Cain for example use those wild looping ones that can leave them open to counters) but this isnt a massive flaw as it sets up a TD or Clintch off the back of them.

Your right he is quite hard to hit when he does wade in with bombs he does slip off to the side quite well.

For a wrestler learning striking late in the game he isnt bad at all. And to his credit for a shortarse he can throw those headkicks!

I think its the power why I think he is overrated mostly. People see him as a power puncher after the Bigfoot fight and Id also say fighting Monson and Barnett who really cant hang with many people standing made his Striking seem better by comparison.

I would see Mir outstriking him at distance, if they arent locked up, Mir has much more 1 shot stopping power IMO and he can use Angles when boxing to tag Cormier when he overcomits. As well as being decent enough with Kicks against a short guy the threat of the headkick is always there.

Its a bad matchup for Mir because there is a blueprint to beating Mir and Cormier is designed to follow it. I think if they start kickboxing people are going to find out exactly where Cormier stands striking wise. Mir outstruck Kongo and Crocop... something that I dont see Barnett or Cormier being able to do.

Mirs striking gets overrated a bit but Id favor him K-1 rules over Cormier bad chin or not.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am

This will end up bad for Mir I can't see how he wins this, TBH It seems more of a showcase fight for DC as bad as that sounds.
    we are all juan
    we are all juan
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  we are all juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 am

Cormier has this because his body is like Fedor's.
    Detroit Dave
    Detroit Dave
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Detroit Dave Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 am

we are all juan wrote:Cormier has this because his body is like Fedor's.

agreed . after all , NOGUEIRA said it was the best body type for Mma .
    The Samurai Life
    The Samurai Life
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  The Samurai Life Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 am

Detroit Dave wrote:

Nogueria....... Nogueria....... isn't that the guy who got his arm broke by Frank Mir?
    Detroit Dave
    Detroit Dave
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Detroit Dave Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:45 am

The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:

Nogueria....... Nogueria....... isn't that the guy who got his arm broke by Frank Mir?

ummmm... first off he was winning , second , hes a Mma legend . ever heard of PRIDE ? freaking tuf newbs disrespecting legends Rolling Eyes
    The Samurai Life
    The Samurai Life
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  The Samurai Life Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 am

Detroit Dave wrote:
    The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:

ummmm... first off he was winning , second , hes a Mma legend . ever heard of PRIDE ? freaking tuf newbs disrespecting legends Rolling Eyes

LOL'ING hard at PRIDE. Remember Takada vs Coleman? Fake like pro wrestling. Fedor got owned by Arona. Nogueria couldn't beat that guy? I call work.
    Detroit Dave
    Detroit Dave
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Detroit Dave Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:09 am

The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:
    The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:

LOL'ING hard at PRIDE. Remember Takada vs Coleman? Fake like pro wrestling. Fedor got owned by Arona. Nogueria couldn't beat that guy? I call work.

wow , ur a fucking idiot dude

1. coleman needed the $$$
    2. fedor vs arona wasnt even in pride
    3. nogueira is a warrior

where the fuck is paddy to ban this trash ?
    The Samurai Life
    The Samurai Life
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  The Samurai Life Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 am

Detroit Dave wrote:
    The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:
    The Samurai Life wrote:
    Detroit Dave wrote:

wow , ur a fucking idiot dude

1. coleman needed the $$$
    2. fedor vs arona wasnt even in pride
    3. nogueira is a warrior

where the fuck is paddy to ban this trash ?

Mir vs Cormier confirmed for UFC on Fox 7 1162121_o
    Detroit Dave
    Detroit Dave
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Detroit Dave Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 am

Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 am