THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+13
redmeanie77
1972-casual
manschesthair_utd
p4pnumber_1
payneNglory1
Sheldan
efils_god
ChelseaQuinsfan
Mryzyz
sunthunder
Moose Stuff For Money...
Cowboys From Hell
Anfields5thKing
17 posters

UFC 151 CANCELLED!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 151 CANCELLED! - Page 3 Empty Re: UFC 151 CANCELLED!

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:45 am

For all we know Sonnen was training to fight Jones for last few weeks when he knew Henderson was injured. Thats probably what Greg Jackson was thinking. 8 days notice against a guy from same camp doesnt make sense. And Sonnen trains every day he is always in shape.

This is mainly UFC's fault event got cancelled, other than main event no other fight was worth watching. Main events have been cancelled in the past and event still went on PPV.
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

For all we know Sonnen was training to fight Jones for last few weeks when he knew Henderson was injured. Thats probably what Greg Jackson was thinking. 8 days notice against a guy from same camp doesnt make sense. And Sonnen trains every day he is always in shape.

This is mainly UFC's fault event got cancelled, other than main event no other fight was worth watching. Main events have been cancelled in the past and event still went on PPV.

That's a great point regarding Sonnen, you never know Hendo may have informed the UFC of his injury so late to give bones less time to prepare for him. Still I do think if your the UFC champ and they've looked after you, you should do all you can to help them. Let's say bones lost, I'm sure he'd be granted a rematch, and the PPV numbers on a rematch with chael along with the trash talk etc would have been huge.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:32 pm

That sucks for Belcher,he just gets over one career threatening injury and seems to be in the form of his life,then this,poor bastard.

Lets hope he comes back 100% healed and healthy,and can hit the ground running in the form he showed against Palhares.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:44 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

Sonnen's girlfriend's father had a stroke, he's been out of West Linn for over a week. Henderson got injured a week ago.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:39 am

If Dan has been injured for 3 weeks, why did we hear about it so late? I think he should have told them that he was a doubt so that they could line up a replacement. I agree with Payne, ZUEFA haven't dealt with the situation very well.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 am

Rashad Evans makes some very good points on the whole saga in my opinion:

Rashad Evans on Jon Jones ~ "You want to always keep it right for the fighters. It's great for the fighters to have the right to choose a fight. That is one of the liberties we do have, the option to say yes or no to a fight. But then on the other hand, you have a tremendous responsibility as the champion. You are the champion of the UFC. Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this. You had the opportunity to fight for someone that was injured. He stepped into a fight, after I got hurt, so he stepped in for me to fight Shogun. So, he was rewarded by the very process of somebody stepping in to take a fight. So, he owed it to the UFC to take the fight. Not only that, he owed it to all the other fighters on this card who are going to be missing paydays because of that. And lets not talk about how the UFC has done so much to make him the face of the UFC. They sponsored him. Everything he's gotten is because of the UFC, the whole Nike endorsement and everything else like that, has all been because of the UFC. When he got in trouble a few months back, it was the UFC who stood behind him and kind of made it go away relatively quickly. So, for him to turn his back on the UFC is very hard to believe, for one, but it's just disappointing. I'm sure one day, when he has the time to understand the ramifications of his decision, he's is gonna think, 'Wow. What did I really do?'"
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:38 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/29/3277825/ufc-151-jon-jones-asked-dana-white-chael-sonnen-stop-calling-out-mma-news

Jones was very upset after Chael began calling him out and mocking him on Twitter, going as far as to contact White and ask him to tell Chael to stop

How can such a dominant talented fighter be such a bitch???
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 am

Would have thought it was pretty obvious that he was a bitch all things considered.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Jon Jones really knows the right things say doesn't he?

[img]UFC 151 CANCELLED! - Page 3 19904610[/img]

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Allright lads ive been away for a bit cause im moving house and no interweb till the 10th... JJ pulling out of a fight with Sonnen shows his imaturity.

Jones is paid per fight, 450K isnt it? He could fight Anderson or a guy from the crowd and still get 450K the opponent shouldnt matter... infact a lesser opponent should make him happy.

Sonnen is still the number 1 Mw, and Just because the number 1 P4p fighter beat Sonnen doesnt mean he is below Jones because Jones hasnt proven he is on Andersons level. So if Jones thinks Sonnen is below him he overrates himself.

If he didnt want to fight Sonnen because of the Smack talk he needs to grow up.

Or the 3rd option, and probabally the one I think is most realistic. Sonnen is a much tougher fight than Hendo and he ducked him plain and simple.

I heard one of Jones managment say he was going to pay all the other fighters salaries but because someone badmouthed him on twitter he didnt! Laughing Thats total bollox and just an attempt on damage controll.

I love Jones as a fighter but the guy is a complete ballbag, UFC shouldnt sponsor a fighter like him. Granted there are fighters that havnt wanted to fight certain guy throughout the history of MMA but UFC shouldnt sponsor a fighter than turns down a fight full stop. I guarentee there are guys like Aldo and Junior who havent so much as needed a second to think about the fights offered to them.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Jones hasn't come off well from all this but if it's anyones fault it's the UFC's for making their cards so thin that one fight being called off due to injury means the WHOLE card gets cancelled.

Also I'm 99.9% sure that Dana didn't say to Bones, "Take the Sonnen fight or we're cancelling the card".

AND a lot of the blame should be with Hendo, he was injured for a while before it actually came out that he was. Hence why out of nowhere Hendo's training partner Sonnen started smack talking Bones, knowing he'd get the chance to put his name forward if/when Hendo can't compete.

It is bizarre though that Jones would turn down Sonnen (fair enough, he doesn't deserve the fight at all), yet then go and accept a fight against Vitor who deserves one less... scratch

I honestly think if Sonnen didnt try his usual tiresome trash talking with Bones then Bones would have had no beef with taking the fight. Because before Chael started his shit, him and Bones were on quite good terms.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Jones hasn't come off well from all this but if it's anyones fault it's the UFC's for making their cards so thin that one fight being called off due to injury means the WHOLE card gets cancelled.

Also I'm 99.9% sure that Dana didn't say to Bones, "Take the Sonnen fight or we're cancelling the card".

AND a lot of the blame should be with Hendo, he was injured for a while before it actually came out that he was. Hence why out of nowhere Hendo's training partner Sonnen started smack talking Bones, knowing he'd get the chance to put his name forward if/when Hendo can't compete.

It is bizarre though that Jones would turn down Sonnen (fair enough, he doesn't deserve the fight at all), yet then go and accept a fight against Vitor who deserves one less... scratch

I honestly think if Sonnen didnt try his usual tiresome trash talking with Bones then Bones would have had no beef with taking the fight. Because before Chael started his shit, him and Bones were on quite good terms.

For me the puzzling bit is why he would turn down a fight because someone was talking trash... Sonnen sells PPV's with his trash talk and Jones is all about the Money or so he says...

Can anyone confirm this, I remember there being talk of Jones having ducked Lil Nog earlier in his career because he though Nog was a bad matchup for him... anyone confirm?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 pm

I heard he ducked that fighter after the Bonnar fight where Bonnar outstruck him.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 am

It seems White is now shifting the blame towards Hendo for being injured !. Shocked

To me It seems very harsh to blame Hendo, He is going into a Title fight at the age of 42 knowing very well this could very well be his last chance for a Title. Personally I think you have to give him some leeway on the situation, It had to be a hard decision for him to pull out he probably felt like a lot of people not just athletes that It's nothing and can work through the injury.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Henderson was still hoping to fight, even with the injury, up until the day before he called Dana.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Shifting the Blame away from his goldenboy! Laughing

Jones ducked Chael so the blame is 100% with him. (Or with the UFC if you want to say the card was too weak) but the point still stands if Jones had of maned up and fought the event would have gone ahead with or without Hendo... You cant ever blame an injured guy fuck sake.

Im busting to see Belfort KO Jones. Dont get me wrong I hope Bones is always part of the UFC because I enjoy watching him but im itching to see someone spark him.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 pm

No just shifting the blame as many places as he can to divert attention from the Fact that this was a PPV card with one fight on it.

U shouldnt be cancelling a whole card because you have lost one fight, thats Affliction level shit and UFC have been going for 20 years now without ever having to do this,

We was all mocking the card for Nottingham but when you look at it now I would much rather pay for that than 151 last week even with Jones vs Hendo on it,

The blame has to be at there door for blatantly ripping people off in the first place, if you put one fight on a card then people are not going to pay anyway, they will stream it instead.

I wonder what the PPV figures would have been if this had gone ahead,
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm

UFC PPV sales have (unofficially) been down this year compared to previous years.

It's probably all the free shows on FOX, Fuel and FX lowering demand for PPVs whilst thinning out PPV cards at the same time.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 am

Mryzyz wrote:UFC PPV sales have (unofficially) been down this year compared to previous years.

It's probably all the free shows on FOX, Fuel and FX lowering demand for PPVs whilst thinning out PPV cards at the same time.

The Snake that eats itself???

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:03 pm