THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Sheldan
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Empty Machida considering the drop to 185lbs

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 am

Machida weighed in at 201lbs last night, he stated he walks around at 205-210lbs, Which doesnt even make him a big Mw, Anderson, Sonnen and others being about 10lbs heavier.

Now Id expect he could rule the devision Mw after Anderson retires but I dont know if I want to see him drop because in my head he is the biggest challenge to Bones (Sorry to overlook Hendo but I cant see him winning)

I believe Machida is the only fighter I can say for certain would beat Bones standing and I think he is the biggest threat to Bones title.

He said he would drop for the right fight, Id love that fight to be Belfort. I wonder if we could see Evans and Machida both at 185? Could leave Lhw short on tallent!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Empty Re: Machida considering the drop to 185lbs

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm

It's surprising that Machida makes weight so easily at LHW,to me,he looks very thick at that weight,he's definitely not one of the smallest LHW's

It sounds like it could be an easy transition to MW,with him saying he walks around at 205-210lbs,but he also says he diets all year around,so maybe the drop won't be as easy as it sounds.

I think Machida's plan is to have one more run at the LHW belt and MW will be his back up plan if unsuccessful.

I Think Silva will probably call it quits in 2-3 fights,so even if Machida fails at LHW tonight or in his next fight,Machida can still have a run at the MW belt without having to fight Silva,as he'll have to have a couple of fights at MW before he'd get a title shot.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Empty Re: Machida considering the drop to 185lbs

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:49 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Machida weighed in at 201lbs last night, he stated he walks around at 205-210lbs, Which doesnt even make him a big Mw, Anderson, Sonnen and others being about 10lbs heavier.

Now Id expect he could rule the devision Mw after Anderson retires but I dont know if I want to see him drop because in my head he is the biggest challenge to Bones (Sorry to overlook Hendo but I cant see him winning)

I believe Machida is the only fighter I can say for certain would beat Bones standing and I think he is the biggest threat to Bones title.

He said he would drop for the right fight, Id love that fight to be Belfort. I wonder if we could see Evans and Machida both at 185? Could leave Lhw short on tallent!

Yeah Machida's pretty small compared to most LHW's, he's about the same size as Rashad so the two of them cutting to 185 isn't really surprising. It's an awful shame there's not a 195 division in MMA, would suit so many fighters.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Machida is 6"1,Rashad is 5" 11.

Machida is overall much bigger than Rashad.

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Evans_machida_weigh_ins2

Rashad is probably the smallest LHW in the UFC along with probably Nedkov,while Machida is bigger than the likes of Shogun,he was also much bigger than Randy.
    Machida is of a similar to Hamill,Rampage,Lil Nog,the Janitor,Silva etc,when it comes to size in the LHW division,there pretty big LHW's.

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Couture+machida2

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Rampage_machida_weigh_ins

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs Lyoto-machida-and-thiago-silva-weigh-in

I would say bader is classed as a big LHW,yet he didn't look that much bigger than Machida at the weigh ins.

Machida considering the drop to 185lbs 038_Lyoto_Machida_and_Ryan_Bader_gallery_post

I do see the problem for some though Very Happy .

If Machida drops to 185,then he'll be doing the exact same,as what Jon Jones gets shit for at LHW,he'll be dieting all year around and then cutting the neccersarry weight to fight in a lighter division than he could.

I doubt he'd get the same abuse somehow though Wink

I don't see a problem with it,if he makes weight,I think machida would be a welcome,exciting addition to MW division.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am

Quite clearly smaller than each of the men he was facing with the loan exception of Rashad. Body turned to the side because of his stance throws off the ability to compare for some. Hilarious claim that Machida is bigger than Shogun and the same size as Rampage. You should just stop talking about fighters size.

Machida doesn't diet all year round in the same manner Jones does. Machida's diet is aimed at putting all the best things in his body, it's an age old tradition that he has been exposed to since childhood as a result of his father. It's similar to the Gracie diet. It's nothing like what Jones does.

Machida has been fighting at the weight class he walks around at without cutting weight, it's a standard cut for him to go to 185. Most MW's walk around at similar weight to Machida. Machida will be fighting men his own size. In no way comparable to the cowardly Jon Jones fighting men who weight who are 20lbs lighter than him when fully hydrated.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:16 am

BIG size difference evident in this fight. Bader's about 15-20lbs heavier than Machida. So much broader, and thicker.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 am

Still didn't matter.... POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:26 am

Machida clowned him in the first round and finished him brilliantly in the second. Looks like he'll be staying at 205 for now.

Wasn't at all impressed by Shogun tonight, thought he looked pretty awful. Vera is poor and he gave Shogun everything he could handle. The beating Hendo gave him after the beating he took against Jones after the injuries and life at Chute Boxe have finished Shogun. Jones/Hendo or Machida would beat him easily at this point.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:46 am

Sonnen just made a great point on the aftershow. When Machida weighed in at 201 he was wearing shorts and had been drinking water. Could easily have come in under 200.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Shoguns body has failed him. Such a shame, could've possibly been the GOAT were it not for his knees.

On the subject of Machida at 185... I don't want to see it, not until he has one more shot at Jones. He is the only fighter who has the skill to comprehensively beat Jones at 205 (he was in their first fight until he became uncharacteristically agressive).

Unless Hendo manages to beat Jones, then I want to see Machida go to MW, Jones go to HW and Hendo v Shogun II for the LHW title.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:25 pm

its really depressing to watch Shogun fight these days, he's not half the fighter he was.

Machida was on fire.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:29 pm

bloody camera angles Laughing

Machida looked brilliant last night,he just looked like Silva when he goes into that confident mode.
    He thoroughly deserves and earned his title shot after that performance.

The whole card from top to bottom was great,well apart from our HW boys,but who expected any different in that fight.

Shoguns got the heart and power still,but his cardio is shocking.

His heart and spirit allows him to somehow keep plodding through on fumes,but his tank was nearly on empty after the first rd and that just won't cut it at the top of this division.

Still it made for an entertaining fight and I think Vera came out of that fight with his head held high.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Anyone notice, right before the stoppage, Vera just stopped fighting. His mouthpiece got knocked loose and he just stopped fighting and fixed it and after Shogun hit him he just sort of turned away. Almost like he quit.

Shogun needs to considering quitting. I'd like to see him fight Machida once more, just so Machida can hand him his ass. I'd sort of like to see him fight Ramplod again too. He'd still beat Ramplod. Other than those two fights, I've no interest in watching him. This Shogun is still in better shape than the one that fought Jones but was coming off getting beaten up by Hendo -broken jaw, broken nose, cracked rib etc, and seemed hesitant to engage at times.

If Machida does face Jones again then the blueprint of how to avoid getting caught by Jones was putting in place by Evans. Evans found the right distance to keep to avoid most of Jones' shot but didn't have the striking ability to land his own. Machida's a much better striker than Evans or Jones so he can move in and out and land his shots. He won the first round easy in the last fight, there's no reason he can't beat the HW and take his belt back. Finally put some meaning in the belt again.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Damn Machida looked good this reminded a bit like his performance against Thiago Silva he was just on another level to his opponent he looked motivated (Insert BJ Penn joke here). Got to say how foolish Bader was rushing in eyes closed that was suicidal.

I really don't like this version of Shogun he's just plods forward with none of the movement shown in the Machida fights or variety in his attacks, his knees are completely fucked 2-3 years ago he would blown Vera out of the water early instead having a 4 Round war.

What a bloody good Main card that was action packed card with 4 great fight and finishes I bet Zuffa wished this card opened the FOX deal for them instead of the Evans v Davis card.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Did JDS vs Velasquez not open up the FOX deal? Even still this card has been the best FOX card to date in my opinion.

Lauzon vs Varner was a great fight. I really enjoy watching Lauzon, and the fact that this is his 11th bonus in 13 fights, 8 bonuses in his past 8.. means he holds the record, above Chris Lyttle who got 10. Great submission, and fair play to Varner. He deserves a full camp before his next fight now, after taking two short notice ones.

Good to see Swick back, but Johnson is hardly top level competition. Perfect oppenent for him after two years out. Needs a step up now.

Machida looked quality. But I don't think anything will change in his fight with Jones. I think he'll move to 185 after. The only way possible Bader was going to win that was with wrestling, and he made little effort in that aspect!

As for Shogun, I think he's finished. The smart thing to do would be retire, because when he comes up against further elite competition (I would not consider Vera elite competition) he will lose. He would lose to Jones, Hendo, Machida, Evans, Gustaffson,Glover and probably even Bader. I hope Sonnen calls him out, I think Sonnen would beat him fairly easily.
    Crazy to think that was his first UFC win the US.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm

The JDS - Cain fight was done before the Fox deal started.

apart from our lumbering poor HW's and the Davis - Prado eye poke,the undercard was pretty good aswell.

That Moraga had a great debut,Manny and Omigawa wasn't bad,Yahya sub on Grispi was sweet and Phan and Miller was a really fun fight.

Overall it was a really good night of fights.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on who they would like the Fox fighters to fight next?

I think Vera vs Maldanado could be a good fight,lil Nog could be another option.

Rua vs Rashad,I think that fight makes sense,since neither are in the current title picture(depending on Rashad staying at 205 that is).

Bader vs Gustaffson

Lauzon vs Jim Miller

Varner vs Guida

Swick vs Matt Brown or Dan Miller

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:54 pm

I think Rashad should drop down now. I'd like to see Shogun vs Gustafsson
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:25 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on who they would like the Fox fighters to fight next?

I think Vera vs Maldanado could be a good fight,lil Nog could be another option.

Rua vs Rashad,I think that fight makes sense,since neither are in the current title picture(depending on Rashad staying at 205 that is).

Bader vs Gustaffson

Lauzon vs Jim Miller

Varner vs Guida

Swick vs Matt Brown or Dan Miller

Rashad will drop I reckon he wont take the 205 belt again and he is lucky Machida isnt following him down... yet. I reckon he has to view Anderson as a more winable title fight for him.

Shogun should fight Gus for sure, he didnt want Glover so Id love to see him fight Gus though youd wonder if Shogun wouldnt see Nog as better fight maby as TUF coaches?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Bader should fight Davis next I reckon balls to rematching Prado.

Lauzon vs Guida would be good, even if Greg Jackson has ruined Guida a bit.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm