THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
rudeboyben84
Once Mohawked Pete
Sheldan
payneNglory1
8 posters

The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced Empty The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced

Post  payneNglory1 Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 pm

The Ultimate Fighting Championship®️ has confirmed it will film an Australian edition of its hit reality television series, The Ultimate Fighter®️ (‘TUF’), giving Aussie and British mixed martial artists the opportunity to secure a lucrative contract with the world’s preeminent mixed martial arts (MMA) organization.

Registration is now open to all aspiring UFC fighters from Australia and the UK. Prospective competitors should visit http://au.ufc.com/TUFForm (Aus) or http://uk.ufc.com/TUFForm (UK) for registration forms, rules and qualification criteria. The live tryouts, scheduled for June 12 in Sydney and June 15 in London, will be open to fighters ranging in weight from 61kg to 77kg. Participants must be between 21 and 35 years of age and have had at least three verified professional fights (having won two).

The Australian series, dubbed The Smashes™️ – a play on the 130 year-old cricket rivalry, will see undiscovered professional MMA fighters from Australia and the United Kingdom live together in The Ultimate Fighter House in Australia and compete against each other for a prized UFC contract. This is only the second time in TUF’s seven-year history that teams will represent their country of origin, the first taking place in 2009, during the ninth series, as Team USA took on Team UK.

I wonder what weight class or classes they will be doing,since they are auditioning lads from 135lbs to 170lbs.

Who are the coaches going to be?

It'll we more than likely be coaches from Australia and the UK,but I'm not bothered if they do it that way,I just want to see two big names that can bring in a great team to train these lads and build up an interesting fight between the coaches at the end of it.

If it is to be a country man representing his team,then I can see it being Bisping again,but the only Ozzie at MW is Noke,that fight isn't going to happen,but since OZ is Lombards home away from home,that fight would make sense.

What about Hunt cheers but having one of Broughton,De Fries or Thompson coaching opposite him doesn't get you to excited.(suppose we could claim Reem,and have Hunt vs Reem 2)

Goergie Sotiropoulos vs Etim,sass or Taylor maybe.

Or you can bring in another adopted Ozzie,Ebersole as there is quite a few Brits plying their trade at WW.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced Empty Re: The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced

Post  Sheldan Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 pm

I think they'll go down the Ebersole route like you said Payne and make Ebersole VS Hardy (if he beats Ludwig). I think that's the best possible fight they could make in terms of both high profile names and ranking wise. If not then Sass VS Sotiropolous would be my next guess.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced Empty Re: The Ultimate Fighter UK vs. Austrailia: The Smashes officially announced

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri May 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Ebersole and Dan Hardy would be a decent pick IMO.

Not sure that I could stand another show 'starring' Bisping, nowt to do with his fighting, cos he's certainly impressed more, in his recent fights, but I think that Hardy would certainly stir things up.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 pm

That's depending on Hardy still having a job after the Ludwig fight that is.
    I doubt he stays around on 5 back to back losses.

Hardy has the personality and following to be the coach(I really hope my fellow Nottingham lad can find some form and start wracking up the wins as well),but on results and current rankings,Hathaway should get the job really.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:That's depending on Hardy still having a job after the Ludwig fight that is.
    I doubt he stays around on 5 back to back losses.

Hardy has the personality and following to be the coach(I really hope my fellow Nottingham lad can find some form and start wracking up the wins as well),but on results and current rankings,Hathaway should get the job really.

I wouldn't imagine he'll be in a job, should he lose to Ludwig. TBH I think he wins that fight with ease, and yeah, Hatthaway would be a decent choice as well, however, he hasn't got quite the following that Dan has, and there's no doubt that Hardy is the more exciting of the two.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

I agree completely,Hathaway is a really good fighter but he's a bit of a boring sod,so I can't really see him being the personality,ZUFFA,FOX or what ever Australian TV company is picking this up,want fronting this new Australia vs UK show.

I think Hardy vs Ebersole would make for a good show.
    Hardy's got the personality,he could probably bring with him a good team,and I think he'd be a good coach and Ebersole and his hairrow,have already built himself a good following,he's based in Australia and he's obviously a character.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri May 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I heard a lot of talk about Pickett being coach on this show, Funily enough there is an Auzzie BW called Gustavo Falciroli who is actually ranked one place ahead of Pickett on fightmatrix. Currently fights for OneFC.... Long shot but maby they will sign him? Or 9-1 Auzzie Richie Vaculik, currently a free agent... I dont remember where but I heard a load of people talking about Pickett coaching UK vs US
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri May 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Oh Yeah,didn't Pickett ask or say something about coaching on TUF at his post fight press conference after he beat Page in Sweden?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri May 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Ive just heard a few mates into their MMA say Picket was going to coach TUF on this UK vs Australia, and I think I remember an interview with him saying he wanted to do it. There look to be 2 soild fighters they could sign to throw in with him but Im thinking that they like the coaches to be established guys...

I dont know how they could have a coach that hasnt fought in UFC. Unless they just do coaches who wont fight like wasnt id Franklin and Hughes or something did an early season?
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 pm

PayneNglory1, whereabouts in Nottingham are you from? I'm from Long Eaton and am looking to join a local MMA gym.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 pm

I live in North Carolina now,but bloody small world mate,I'm originally from Long Eaton too.

I haven't been back home for about 10 years,from what I've heard from people I've spoke to back home,I'd hardly recognize the place anymore,never mind know of a gym to recommend.

1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 am

Blimey, nice one Payne. Long Eaton aint changed that much although the pubs aren't quite as good these days and there's a few too many charity shops.

Depending how old you are I may know you then? I'm 40 and am really looking to keep fit as opposed to get into actual combat side.

There is a kickboxing gym above Tracy Maid cycles where Potters snooker hall used to be and there is a Martial Arts Gym in Beeston that does do some MMA.

Anyway mate North Carolina eh, capital is Raleigh largest city Charlotte. I love my American geography.

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Sun May 13, 2012 10:28 am

When I read the title, I immediately thought Lombard v Bisping but surely even the Brits are tiring of Bispings heel act. And if they want to play on the Ashes rivalry, then surely they would want a true blue aussie boy....

If Pickett is coaching and the show is just for local audiences, then maybe Richie "Vas" Vaculik could be a starter. He already has semi-celeb status in Aussie as a big-wave surfer and has starred in "Bra Boys", doco about crazy Aussie surfer gangs or something like that, and had his own documentary made about him called "Fighting Fear", which is about his surfing and fighting.

Hopefully a few kiwis sneak in - reckon there be at least one 'mozzy' to keep me interested....
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun May 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Lombard VS Bisping is the most lucrative option but Bisping has said he doesn't want to coach TUF again so I doubt it will happen. I'm still sticking with Hardy VS Ebersole if Hardy beats Ludwig.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun May 13, 2012 4:02 pm

1972-casual wrote:Blimey, nice one Payne. Long Eaton aint changed that much although the pubs aren't quite as good these days and there's a few too many charity shops.

Depending how old you are I may know you then? I'm 40 and am really looking to keep fit as opposed to get into actual combat side.

There is a kickboxing gym above Tracy Maid cycles where Potters snooker hall used to be and there is a Martial Arts Gym in Beeston that does do some MMA.

Anyway mate North Carolina eh, capital is Raleigh largest city Charlotte. I love my American geography.

Is that kickboxing gym anything to do with Richard Svirski (ski) as I remember him and his little brother steph were big into their kickboxing before I left?

Tracy maids and potters,haven't heard those names for a while,I used to work at the gym they had above there for a few months,New Wave.

What school did you go to,Wilsthorpe or Roper?
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sun May 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Payne, I went to English Martyrs and Friesland in Sandiacre but spent most of my life in Long Eaton so know most people.

Yeah Ski does the Kickboxing in LE and he lives behind the Wheatsheaf. Do you know any of the football lot, Goughy, slacky etc?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

yeah those names ring a bell.

It's a bloody small world.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 pm

The latest rumor is G-Sot is dropping to 145 and will fight apposing coach Ross Pearson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:The latest rumor is G-Sot is dropping to 145 and will fight apposing coach Ross Pearson.

Cracking, Crazy the amount of 155ers dropping weight, He has fought Siver, who has fought Pearson, all at 155.

Pearson will make good TV im sure!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 pm

The options for coaches are quite poor aren't they? I say they do a season like season 2 with Hughes and Franklin where the coaches didn't have to fight at the end of the season. Maybe take Lombard and Hathaway or something. Daley would actually be pretty fun to watch but that probably won't happen anytime soon.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue May 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Stephan Bonner is wanting to fight Forrest again.

Let's go full circle and have Forrest and Bonner fight a 3rd time after they coach this TUF.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 pm