THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Cowboys From Hell
rudeboyben84
sunthunder
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
11 posters

UFC 145 results

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 145 results Empty UFC 145 results

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Marcus Brimage vs. Maximo Blanco

I was quite disappointed with this fight,probably because I had quite big expectations for Blanco at FW.
    Blanco showed flashes of good skills,but there just wasn't enough of it,and I think Brimage came out the deserved winner,through work rate alone.
    The best thing about this fight was the flip competition they had with each other at the end,it made me smile,but it also pissed me off.They have a slow tentative fight,then they want to show how much energy they have left at the end,if you want to show off,leave it all in the fight,then I'll be impressed with you.

UFC 145 results 3.1
    UFC 145 results 3.3
    UFC 145 results 3

Marcus Brimage def. Maximo Blanco via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28).

CHRIS CLEMENTS VS. KEITH WISNIEWSKI

Mario Yamasaki's brother,Fernando,didn't do himself any favours in this fight,what the fook was that stand up all about in the first round?(that probably cost Wisnieski the decision)
    Anyway,this was quite an entertaining fight between a striker and a grappler.
    I can't see a great future for either in the UFC,Clements has some fun strikes in his arsenal,and Wisniewski can grapple,but they both need lot's of improving to do if they want to hang around in the UFC.
    I liked Clements,look up at the big screen and land some elbows when Wisiewski had his back.

UFC 145 results 3
    UFC 145 results 5

Chris Clements def. Keith Wisniewski via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27).

MAC DANZIG VS. EFRAIN ESCUDERO

This was a disappointing,boring fight,Efrain started early with a heel hook attempt,Danzig spun and escaped from it and controlled the majority of the first round.round 2 hardly anything happened,apart from abit of clinching,but Danzig was the slightly more aggressive of the two standing and in the final round of this thriller,nothing really changed,apart from the boos from the crowd became slightly louder.
    I gave Danzig all 3 rds,but I'm struggling to remember much about the fight really,while I'm typing this to be honest,(and I only watched it a few hours ago.)

UFC 145 results 2
    UFC 145 results 5

Mac Danzig def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28).

JOHN MAKDESSI VS. ANTHONY NJOKUANI

This was a good,technical stand up match,Njokuani used his reach and speed advantage plus his tight combinations to win this fight,he mixed his kicks and punches up great.
    Makdessi was game and tried his best to be competitive,but Njokuani just had him beat in all departments and ended up cruising to a UD.

UFC 145 results 4
    UFC 145 results 5

Anthony Njokuani def. John Makdessi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

MATT BROWN VS. STEPHEN THOMPSON

This was a good test for Thompson,a highly decorated,and extremely good kickboxer put to the test against an always game,Matt Brown,who just happens to have never been knocked out in his career.
    Thompson showed flashes of crisp striking as well as showing his power.He wobbled and hurt Brown a few times,but brown also exposed some big holes in Thompson ground game and takedown defense,which became even more evident,the longer the fight went and the more Thompson cardio started deserting him.
    Brown turned this into the kind of dog fight that he loves and one that Thompson,I'm sure has never been through.
    Thompson should take alot away from this fight,and Brown is just a tough SOB,that can test the will of many a fighter.

UFC 145 results 3
    UFC 145 results 6

Matt Brown def. Stephen Thompson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-27, 30-27).

TRAVIS BROWNE VS. CHAD GRIGGS

This is the most impressed I've been with Browne,he showed so much more to his game,flying knee,Thai clinch,to body lock takedown,looks for the side choke,doesn't just go for it when it wasn't there,he mounts,gets better position,then dismounts when he's got it set.very impressed with his movement and his set up to get that lovely finish.

UFC 145 results 1
    UFC 145 results 2

Travis Browne def. Chad Griggs via submission (arm-triangle choke) - Round 1, 2:29.

JOHN ALESSIO VS. MARK BOCEK

Bocek looked good in this fight,obviously his stand up is never going to be that good,but he managed to aviod to much of a stand up battle with Alessio and he showed in this fight,why so many fighters have a ton of respect for his ground game.
    Every round he managed to eventually get Alessio into his world and he showed great control for the majority of every round.
    It was a tough fight for Alessio to come back to the UFC on,but I thought he showed enough in that fight,to make me want to see him in the UFC again.

UFC 145 results 2
    UFC 145 results 3

Mark Bocek def. John Alessio via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27).

MARK HOMINICK VS. EDDIE YAGIN

I disagreed with this result,but can see how the judges scored it that way.I personally think there is to much put into the knock downs,yes hominck got dropped twice,once in round one and once in the second,but I thought he out landed Yagin by quite alot with clean punches to the head and body.
    Yagin certainly has some pop on his punches though.
    Hard times for Hominick lately,obviously there's the personal tragedy he and his team have been through,but his game and chin are being tested alot,and he doesn't seem to be passing the tests.
    This on paper should of been an easyish fight to get himself back on track and even though I thought he should of won this,he failed to convince the judges,whats next for him?

UFC 145 results 4
    UFC 145 results 7

Eddie Yagin def. Mark Hominick via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

MICHAEL MCDONALD VS. MIGUEL TORRES

McDonald started this fight like a fighter trying to take his opponents head off,and that's exactly what he ended up doing.
    That was a sweet uppercut.
    I thought this fight might of been to early for Mcdonald if I'm being honest,but shit was I wrong.At 21 years old,it's pretty insane what he's already done,what a future this kid has.

UFC 145 results 1
    UFC 145 results 2

Michael McDonald def. Miguel Torres via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 3:18.

BEN ROTHWELL VS. BRENDAN SCHAUB

Kicking myself on this one,Had Big Ben to win early but changed my mind when doing my predictions.
    Schaub might be athletic have ggod movement and speed on his side,but if your chin is going to keep letting you down,it's going to be hard to do anything in this HW division.
    Thought it was great watching schaub trying to cuddle that imaginary ghost while he was in slumberland Laughing

UFC 145 results 1
    UFC 145 results 2

Ben Rothwell def. Brendan Schaub via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:10

RORY MACDONALD VS. CHE MILLS

poor,poor Che Mills,it's not often I feel sorry for a fighter,but shit,I was tapping out for mills at one point.
    Rory is a beast,that was an absolute demolition job,I thought a few times that he was going to put Mills out of his misery and just sink in the easy choke,but the sadistic bastard was having none of it.he just kept turning Mills back and forth into range so he could smash him into submission.
    Wow is the word to describe that,I can't wait to see the next step up in the career of rory Mcdonald.

UFC 145 results 1
    UFC 145 results 5

Rory MacDonald def. Che Mills via TKO (punches) - Round 2, 2:20.

JON JONES VS. RASHAD EVANS

Well what can you say apart from,easy night,job done,Jon Jones is the best fighter on the planet at the moment.
    He took a few shots but overall,this was an easy night for him,he dictated the whole fight.
    Shogun,Rampage,Machida and now Evans back to back,he's certainly making a good case for being the GOAT.

UFC 145 results 4
    UFC 145 results 6
    UFC 145 results 8UFC 145 results 13

Jon Jones def. Rashad Evans via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 50-45) to retain the UFC light heavyweight title.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 145 results Empty Re: UFC 145 results

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 pm

How did Griggs not get knocked out from that knee?? affraid Browne should get a spot at UFC 146 he deserves it. Cain-Browne or Cain-Bigfoot and Browne-Nelson would work fine.

Agree with everything else.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 am

Now Cain is fighting Bigfoot,Browne should get the Nelson fight at 146.

There's always Hunt,but I think Roy is a really bad fight for Hunt.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Now Cain is fighting Bigfoot,Browne should get the Nelson fight at 146.

There's always Hunt,but I think Roy is a really bad fight for Hunt.

They can't pull the card apart even more.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:35 am

True

They could bring Werdum in and have either Browne or Rothwell fight Russow in Brazil,but I'd think Werdum would want to fight in front of his home crowd on the Brazil card,ahead of fighting Nelson.

So I think having Browne or Rothwell fight Nelson at 146 would be a more obvious choice,and out of the two,I would say Browne is more deserving to fight Nelson and to be on that card.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 am

Great assessment of each fight mate. Agreed with pretty much everything you said Smile
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am

I like many have my problems with Jones as a character, but he drops my jaw in every fight. That elbow he staggered Rashad with is just insane. Even when Anderson has made that elbow work, it's been when guys have been coming in at him or he's had them clinched/against the cage. I've never seen someone step in with an elbow from the outside, whipping it in like that with that much power, even with Jones' reach, the technique and audacity of it is just unprecedented.

Plus this:

UFC 145 results 12

Reminded me a lot of Hearns - Duran.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Jones was incredible, people say Rashad showed he is beatable etc.. but I think the exact opposite, I think more of Jones as a fighter after that performance. He showed some good hands in the GIF Sunthunder posted as well as those lovley elbows. Certainly takes the number 2 P4P spot behing Anderson for me... couldnt be too far behind either.

Ive like Mcdonald for a while now, Hurt to see Torrest put to sleep like that but he lived up to his hype, McDonald is a future champ.

Browne should fill in for bigfoot for sure, they really need to put Nelson in with a genuine 265er who will ragdoll him and make him realise he isnt a Heavy. Maby a rematch with Rothwell makes sence too... ill be interested to see who fills in for bigfoot after these guys both got quick finishes.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Payne im usually on the other side of thinking when it comes to knockdowns in MMA, Really if you floor a guy your a punch away from victory. Its the biggest thing that can happen in a round, however it shouldnt be a guarenteed round winner. Hominic loosing wasnt right it love to show those judges some punch stats for this one, id bet he outscored him at least 2 or 3 to 1
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Half decent card but the Main Event sucked yes Jones did a great job but I was so disappointed in Evans he never took his corners advice and just stood there the other thing I will say is the size difference was staggering Jones should man up and fight at HW I don't want to see a Hendo a fight sure I'll be praying Hendo gets the job done I just don't see it I think he gets subbed at some stage of the fight.

While the bitterness is with me I was so delighted Schaubb got sparked again It's awesome watching him get sparked out and how can I not forget Miguel "I make Jason Reinhart's record blush" Torres getting layed out nice to see him knocked out.

Super disappointed in Blanco he would have one that fight if pushed more it was a baffling display from him and what about Griggs that was terrible performance I might be wrong but soon as It the ground It looked like he wanted out.

MacDonald did what was expected looked impressive the UFC need to push him ASAP hell in fact give him a Condit rematch throw him right in there. Sad to see Hominick fade like the way he is to be honest I think he is done well at the Top level any way.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm

[quote="rudeboyben84"]Jones was incredible, people say Rashad showed he is beatable etc.. but I think the exact opposite,

I thought machida showed jones can be beat, Evans just seemed happy to go the distance and see if he cud land that one game changer.

Hendo will at least try and get up close, will take a few elbows doing it but he will look to win.

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think the Rashad or Machida fights show a clear path to beat Jones, I just think that's people reaching a bit, and seems to stem from this idea that Jones was going to be a fighter who could potentially fold Brendan Schaub style once he gets hit.

Those fights showed Jones could be hit like, a handful of times by two of the best fighters in the division. And although he probably doesn't have the most composed reaction to getting hit, he's clearly not going to just fold up to any guy who can punch in the division, and Rashad and Lyoto can both hit.

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Forgot to say, what the fuck was up with Jones pulling guard? What a Face

Oh and what round did Rashad win exactly for the judges? I had it a pretty clear 50-45.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Round 1 was pretty close. Jones was winning it but Evans landed the biggest shot at end of round that wobbled Jones.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm opening myself up criticism here but I find Jon Jones fights boring. I appreciate he is an awesome MM Artist but he's that good that an event he is headlining is just predictable.

Nothing for him in terms of competition at LHW so for me the short term at LHW is dull in terms of competition. Just my thoughts but the sooner he's at HW the better.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:26 pm

i wouldn't say he is boring although as a person i find him boring but each to their own i suppose. What is noticeable tho is how jones reacts when he is hit machida and evans caught him and he does back off quite rapidly .If he mans up and steps upto heavy i personally think he is gonna get knocked tha fook out!!!

feed him kongo!
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah he'd murder Kongo. I'd like to see how he'd handle someone more his size with the power like Big Nog or even Rothwell.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:20 pm

1972-casual wrote:I'm opening myself up criticism here but I find Jon Jones fights boring. I appreciate he is an awesome MM Artist but he's that good that an event he is headlining is just predictable.

Nothing for him in terms of competition at LHW so for me the short term at LHW is dull in terms of competition. Just my thoughts but the sooner he's at HW the better.

I agree with you I do find him boring too, I'm not saying It's all due to size for all his success (If It was all about size Kendall Grove would have wrecked everyone at MW) as he is a hell of a talent I just want to see him fight someone his own size (not weight) and HW is the only option.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Forgot to say, what the fuck was up with Jones pulling guard? What a Face

Oh and what round did Rashad win exactly for the judges? I had it a pretty clear 50-45.

its just the way he is, its why people really dislike him.

when he pulled guard i thought its typical jones behaviour (even though he has never done it) ...pulling guard with 5 seconds left, whats the point?
    its his perogative, but he was just being a twat really.

About the fight itself, Rashad is a good striker, but the size was the difference..he looked about 2 weight classes apart from Jones.
    Jones isnt the most skilled striker, but he has great control of his limbs (as weird as that sounds, a lot of lanky people dont) and of course he is very lanky...thats why he wins. He isnt the best defensively and in terms of footwork, not that im any kind of expert though.

I still think Machida could have beaten him, as he was really outpointing him with the strikes, which cant really be said for Rashad, who was on the back foot even though he was able to land a few big shots.

for some reason watching that fight really made me want to see Spong vs Jones Laughing

other things i noted:

they really fed Mills to McDonald, lets face it Mcdonald is potential champion material, and Mills is decent but couldnt make it past the TUF 9 prelims. Neutral

Schaub is really really chinny, Nogueira was known for a decade as having pillow fists, i knew it couldnt change into a KO artist over night, although im sure he is more powerful now.
    Mir and Schaub are CHINNY!! and Schaub is at least on Arlovski's level, potentially a Collosus beater.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:53 am