THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
efils_god
Mryzyz
kavik2
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
15 posters

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 Empty Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 pm

What's funny is I think Mark Hunt would probably last a good bit longer than most of the other heavies. I'd love it to be Hunt or Hendo, just to roll back the years. Though they would have about 1% chance of winning.

Having said that, I stand by my prediction that Overeem will still fight at UFC 146 Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 Empty Re: Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:What's funny is I think Mark Hunt would probably last a good bit longer than most of the other heavies. I'd love it to be Hunt or Hendo, just to roll back the years. Though they would have about 1% chance of winning.

Having said that, I stand by my prediction that Overeem will still fight at UFC 146 Smile

How will Overeem fight? I know he can give a B sample but what timescale has he got to give it? I dont know about the science but 14:1 ratio was close to what Sonnen had and got banned for. I cant see him fighting.

I think Dos Santos would beat Hunt Standing, Hunt got KO'd by Manhoef and id say Junior hits about as hard. Its actually a really interesting fight because Hunt isnt easy to take down and Junior isnt a Wrestler. I would expect he would pick a gassed hunt off over 5 rounds though but I want to see it happen. People love hunt and it could be MMA cinderella man story.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:17 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:What's funny is I think Mark Hunt would probably last a good bit longer than most of the other heavies. I'd love it to be Hunt or Hendo, just to roll back the years. Though they would have about 1% chance of winning.

JDS takes Hunt down and taps him within 2 minutes IMO. Can't imagine him standing with Hunt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:

How will Overeem fight? I know he can give a B sample but what timescale has he got to give it? I dont know about the science but 14:1 ratio was close to what Sonnen had and got banned for. I cant see him fighting.

I think Dos Santos would beat Hunt Standing, Hunt got KO'd by Manhoef and id say Junior hits about as hard. Its actually a really interesting fight because Hunt isnt easy to take down and Junior isnt a Wrestler. I would expect he would pick a gassed hunt off over 5 rounds though but I want to see it happen. People love hunt and it could be MMA cinderella man story.

The ratio is irrelevant. People need to get it out of their head that Sonnen was banned for the ratio in his body. He was banned for not properly disclosing his usage. If Overeem finds a doctor who says he prescribed it then there's a good possibility he'll get off. He doesn't have to worry about disclosure because the fight is still a while away and he's not required to disclose until the days leading up to the fight.

Junior took Carwin down with ease. He'd take Hunt down even easier.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Dos Santos took Shane "1 round and done" Carwin down after 14 minutes 55 seconds of punching his face in to the point where he couldnt see, and still managed to get caught in a guillotine choke and swept
    Laughing
    Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 99

the truth is that Dos Santos hasnt ever displayed grappling prowess, with the exception of getting up from his back.

anyone remember the fat slob version of hunt doing this?
    Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 Ogf4f9

Hunt's last few opponents have really struggled to take him down, i think you would need to shoot a power double to have the best chance to get him down.

In terms of a striking battle it would at the very least be interesting! Hunt would test Juniors chin, after all hunt is a great puncher and JDS gets hit very often, that said i think Junior's length and power with those small gloves might be too much for Hunt.
    I would love to find out!

Hunt is the most interesting option with Reem out, in my opinion.

The story is great too, something like an MMA Rocky, a guy who faded into obscurity badly, got himself back in top shape, and got a title shot!
    not to mention he was one of the victims of roidereem which makes it more fitting.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Let the speculation start Suspect

Fedor videoed wearing UFC gloves during his workout at the Vital Skills MMA Clinic in Amstelveen, Netherlands.

(0:50)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:23 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:Dos Santos took Shane "1 round and done" Carwin down after 14 minutes 55 seconds of punching his face in to the point where he couldnt see, and still managed to get caught in a guillotine choke and swept
    Laughing
    Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 99

Might be relevant if that wasn't his SECOND takedown, and if the bell hadn't gone BEFORE the apparent "sweep".
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 am

Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight - Page 3 57894411
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

Lol @ 1'18, Josh Barnett really saying 'You aint talked to me', as if to state that he has never taken PEDs? I also found this http://www.fightopinion.com/2010/04/07/transcript-josh-barnett-interview-inside-mma-steroids/ To be highly amusing.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 pm

FrontrowBrian has said that Overeem's defense will be the use of TRT. Evil or Very Mad
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd like to see Hunt get the shot because, well, who doesn't love Mark Hunt? But I do think it's well within the realm of possibility that Junior does just take him down and Kimura him. Hunt is still a guy who has at times in his career been submitted in ways that you don't see many fighters with his experience fall prey to, and I just don't see Dos Santos being unable to do the same things.

Still much more interested in seeing Hunt get the shot than Mir though. Mir would just get absolutely smashed by Dos Santos. With Hunt there's atleast the chance that he can force a stand-up fight with Junior and be successful.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 am

redmeanie77 wrote:FrontrowBrian has said that Overeem's defense will be the use of TRT. Evil or Very Mad

Hate that twat, he thinks he's in the know. Mayhem's comment to him made me laugh.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 am

I dont like him either but he has gotten a few things right over past few weeks.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 am

sunthunder wrote:I'd like to see Hunt get the shot because, well, who doesn't love Mark Hunt? But I do think it's well within the realm of possibility that Junior does just take him down and Kimura him. Hunt is still a guy who has at times in his career been submitted in ways that you don't see many fighters with his experience fall prey to, and I just don't see Dos Santos being unable to do the same things.

is there any evidence to support this? Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:24 pm

JDS vs Hunt is a huge mismatch IMO. I know it's a nice story and Hunto is a legend but at this stage it's not a fair fight, JDS could win the fight wherever he wanted. There's no way Hunt stands a better chance than Mir, Hunt has one big right hand and that's it. Mir is at least a better grappler than JDS so he could have a chance although I reckon he would get smashed as well.

Against Hunt JDS would win standing easily and I think he could take Hunt down easily as well, he took Carwin and Nelson down with ease and when he took Nelson down he was very comfortable. If Sean McCorkle can sub Hunt, surely JDS can do the same?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:31 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Hunt has one big right hand and that's it.
    -----
    If Sean McCorkle can sub Hunt, surely JDS can do the same?

Is this a serious post?

I don't know what evidence you are basing these 2 comments on, but we are talking about Mark Hunt not Roy Nelson...he is one of the best boxers in MMA who hits very hard. We have seen its not too challenging to land punched on Dos Santos too.
    Hunt has more in his arsenal then a big right hand, and most importantly he has superb timing.

---

Say whatever you like about McCorkle, i have no time for the guy, but he is mostly dangerous with submissions and thats how he has won most of his fights...I don't know why you assume Dos Santos has a better submission game than McCorkle, has he shown it?

Furthermore, I don't know why you assume he would easily be able to take Hunt down..is he a better wrestler than 265 lb all american wrestler Tuscherer?
    He has shown a couple of good looking takedowns but so did Kongo.
    (note this isnt the same hunt who fought Mousasi)

The things that Dos Santos can do well are boxing and defensive grappling, such as takedown defence and getting up from his back...apart from that he hasnt had to show us much, so im wondering where the confidence in his abilities comes from.

Hunt looked a lot better beating chasing prime Mirko Crocop around the ring in PRIDE than Dos Santos did punching shot crocop in the eye and making him quit.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm

got it!!

you must have gotten hunt confused with mighty mo Smile
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:26 pm

hunt doesnt deserve the shot ahead of mir, cain and werdum imo, needs a bigger recent scalp than kongo and tusch. suppose this is a scenario no one expected and i want to see the mir vs cain fight and tbh they both should have a fight or two before getting another chance. i think barnett cud cause jds problems but its hard to judge as jds hasnt been tested to date, and barnett is also not available. l was thinking the ufc hw div was starting to get some depth. of the fighterd available imo werdum shud get the shot however although werdum has improved his striking he hasnt beaten a top tier fighter in the ufc and didnt fair well last y time against jds and it isnt a very sellable fight. can c why they waiting for overeem hearing.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Heard an interesting point from someone which is very unlikely but imagine if it happened! With UFC waiting until Overeem's hearing on April 24th, and while it may have been heat of the moment, Dana has initially said that Cain VS Mir will happen, JDS VS Jones at UFC 146?!? Jones will have a 35 day turnaround from his Evans fight so it could be possible albeit very unlikely.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Sheldan wrote:Heard an interesting point from someone which is very unlikely but imagine if it happened! With UFC waiting until Overeem's hearing on April 24th, and while it may have been heat of the moment, Dana has initially said that Cain VS Mir will happen, JDS VS Jones at UFC 146?!? Jones will have a 35 day turnaround from his Evans fight so it could be possible albeit very unlikely.

Yeah I heard a few people mention that. I honestly think it's more likely to be Mark Hunt than Jones to be honest, I just cant see it happening at all this soon, but I do think it will be a fight we will eventually see in the future. Though, imagine it did, it would be hilarious just due to the fact that Rashad will have been fucked over for the title so many times.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 pm

...I don't know why you assume Dos Santos has a better submission game than McCorkle, has he shown it?

I thought that was a given to be honest. Although we havn't seen Junior submit anyone in the UFC, we have seen his grappling on display, and I can say im 100% sure he's a higher level grappler that McCorkle. The only reason we havn't seen much of it is because he's flattening his opponents before it even reaches the mat.

Although, I do agree that Hunt has more than "a big right hand". He's one of the best technical strikers in the HW division, if not the entire organisation itself.
    uly
    uly
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  uly Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Ferreira subbed JDS a long time ago, and Carwin came somewhat close so I dont think he is an especially high level grappler. I cant see him changing his game around and fighting in a completely different way that he has ever fought before vs Hunt.

JDS does seem good at getting back to his feet though like he did vs Gonzaga and is super athletic but that doesnt mean he would be able to submit Hunt. I mean Chuck and other fighters are good at that, but it's not like he was ever seriously going to try and sub the strikers he faced.

I dont think Hunt deserves the shot but it'd be a fun fight and for me more interesting than giving it to Werdum or Mir. I still kinda hope Overeem-JDS continues somehow
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Ferreira subbed JDS a long time ago, and Carwin came somewhat close so I dont think he is an especially high level grappler.

This is your assessment on JDS' grappling ability? That Carwin "came somewhat close" means JDS has a poor ground game? First of all he didnt really come close let's face it. JDS dominated that fight on the mat, showing superior takedowns and takedown defence against a very strong wrestler. Second of all, although he was submitted early in his career, so was Anderson Silva. Does that too make him a poor grappler. Im not calling him Roger Gracie or anything here, but what I am saying is that he is undoubtably a better grappler than McCorkle, and of course Hunt for that matter.
    uly
    uly
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  uly Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Didnt realise Ferreira fight was 5 years ago in my head I had it as like 2-3. Time flies Razz

takedown defense =/= submissions

I didnt say he has a poor ground game either. I said he isn't an especially high level grappler. I dont know how youd get that mixed up

Imo we've not seen anything to suggest he would look to take Hunt down and I can't recall him ever attempting a submission. Maybe he could, but that theory is not based on anything we've actually seen from him in a fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:08 pm