THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
threeofclubs
efils_god
pinsman
2brutal
manschesthair_utd
Ginginho
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
payneNglory1
KalDog
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
16 posters

Rumble Johnson needs to be cut

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rumble Johnson needs to be cut Empty Rumble Johnson needs to be cut

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm

He moved up to 185 because he was having trouble making 170. Today he weighed in at 196. How he can move up in weight and miss the cut by 11 pounds is beyond me.

Win or lose against Vitor, he deserves to be cut. Incredibly unprofessional.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Rumble Johnson needs to be cut Empty Re: Rumble Johnson needs to be cut

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 pm

He weighed 197lb but i dont think he bothered to cut much weight at all. I sure hope not in his case because he has to weigh in at 205lb tomorrow before the fight!!

He will be in no condition to fight if 197lb is the maximum he was able to cut.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Unprofessional and disrespectful. There are 100's of fighters that would sell there left nut to be in his position yet time and time again he fucks it up!!!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I was really looking forward to this fight,but this shit has certainly taken some of the gloss of it.

You just couldn't make this kind of shit up,6lb and 7 1/2 lbs over at WW,now 12 lbs over at MW,after excepting this fight ages ago.
    How many chances does this kid want,terribly unprofessional and what a smack in the face for Vitor.This is completely disrespectful to Vitor,the UFC and us fans.

I hope Vitor sparks him out in under a minute.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 am

I've said it before,20% deducted from your show purse,for me just isn't a big enough deterrent.
    I think if you don't make weight,then you shouldn't be entitled to get your win bonus either.

he got 20k and a 20K win bonus in his last fight against Brenneman.
    If he's on the same and wins,he'll still walk away with 36k.
    where's the deterrent,if anything,having the advantage of being the bigger guy and coming in nearly a stone heavier than your opponent,when you are stepping up to fight a guy of vitor's calibre,could be considered a smart gamble.(not for his career in the UFC,but for this fight)

gamble 4k,to get gain an advantage to win 36K,and shit,if you lose,you still walk away with 16K.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 am

That's a great point Payne. He's gambling 4k against a 20k return if the weight advantage helps him win this fight. I can honestly see him wrestlefucking Vitor for 3 rounds.

It should be 50% of the purse, no win bonus and a 6 man period without a fight for this type of repeat offence and this type of ridiculous amount over the limit.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 am

From MMA Weekly:

Needless to say, Friday was a tough day for UFC middleweight Anthony Johnson.

On the eve of his debut fight at 185lbs against Vitor Belfort in the co-main event of UFC 142 in Brazil, Johnson woke up on Friday morning feeling good and ready to go for his bout on Saturday.

Johnson has fought most of his career at 170lbs, but had struggled in the past to make the welterweight division limit so most believed a shift to 185lbs would be the perfect move.

It all backfired for Johnson on Friday as he cut weight for the fight.

According to Johnson’s manager Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management, who spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Friday, ‘Rumble’ woke up on Friday morning weighing 191.5lbs, only 5.5lbs away from the 186lb weight limit for middleweight.

With three hours to go until weigh-ins, Johnson was only a pound and a half away from making weight when his body started feeling off.

Robinson says that Johnson started feeling sick and unstable, and so the UFC doctors came in to check him out to see what exactly was going on.

The doctors gave Johnson fluids to see if it would improve his condition, and within a couple of hours, the Blackzilian fighter started to come back to life. Unfortunately, at this point it was too late to cut the weight back down to 186lbs.

“It was medical reasons, it wasn’t for lack of effort,” Robinson said. “The UFC was extremely supportive and said health comes first.”

Johnson was extremely apologetic to both the UFC and to his opponent Vitor Belfort prior to the weigh-ins, but after getting sick just hours before and the doctors giving him fluids to rehydrate, there just wasn’t much else left to do.

Robinson did say however that there will be no risk of the fight not happening at UFC 142 on Saturday. He states that Johnson will make weight for the second weigh-in on Saturday at 205lbs, and he expects fireworks when Johnson and Belfort finally meet.

“AJ will be at 205, it will be a great fight tomorrow in Brazil and the fans will get to see a tremendous, tremendous battle between two amazing athletes,” Robinson said.

Johnson faces Belfort in the co-main event on the card that kicks off at 10pm ET/7pm PT on pay-per-view.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 am

Hmmmm I think all the weight cutting to 170lb has taken its toll on AJ's body. To be fair everyone was saying this will happen to him if he kept cutting 40-50 lbs.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am

I'm not buying that article as strictly true, if it was due to an illness and his weight gain was caused due to a UFC doctor, why did he still have 20% of his purse taken?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:56 am

Nothing more disrespectful than not making weight in my opinion. I was going to pick Rumble to win, but im now gonna pick Belfort to take his head off in the first Very Happy
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 am

He should be sacked - the sickness was related to the weight cutting by the sounds of that article so that excuse is pretty soft.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:35 am

i thought this was a joke when i heard about it.

i hope vitor destroys him.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 am

sack the dick
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 am

Is normal for fighters to try and cut 5-10 pounds on weigh in day? I find this unbelievable if true???
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Nothing more disrespectful than not making weight in my opinion. I was going to pick Rumble to win, but im now gonna pick Belfort to take his head off in the first Very Happy

Ditto, changed my pick!

Niot sure i buy that article. ,If it's true, give him another shot. If not, cut him.

Also agree with Payne, there isn't enough of a deterrant at the moment.
    threeofclubs
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  threeofclubs Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 am

Maybe he hasn’t had access to his usual diuretics and other weight cutting “supplements”
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Hahaha What an absolute prick. 11 POUNDS! Dana's not happy about it either.

Dana White said that he's "beyond pissed" that Anthony Johnson drastically failed to make weight today for UFC 142. White said that Johnson came within a pound and a half of the 186 pound limit but was forced to rehydrate by a doctor because he couldn't make the weight.

"His job is on the line," White said of Johnson. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

White said the reason for the inability to cut weight was simple. "Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened. There's no other way it can be explained." Johnson's manager claims that Johnson became sick three hours before weigh-in and was told by UFC doctor Jeff Davidson to put fluids back into his body, which pushed him back to 197 pounds. Johnson must weigh in tomorrow and must come in below 205 or the fight is off.

Credit: MMAjunkie

He should be fired, no two ways about it. I've always thought he was a LHW and this does nothing to change my mind that he is a coward afraid to fight people his own size. I hope Belfort destroys him like he destroyed Lindland.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 pm

"His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

Does this mean he'd be better off losing a 3 round war than winning a 30 second KO?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Rumble weighed in at 204.2 pounds today, so the fight with Belfort will take place.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Sick of Rumbles shit TBH, and have been for a while. Completely agree that there needs to be tougher penalties for missing weight. He's shown zero respect for anyone, least of all Vitor. Hope he gets smashed and shown the door.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:39 pm

pinsman wrote:Is normal for fighters to try and cut 5-10 pounds on weigh in day? I find this unbelievable if true???

Yeah and it's pretty easy to do in fairness because most of it is just water weight.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:41 pm

I think the weight cutting penalties need to be equivalent to how much over you are at the weigh in, e.g. 4% of your purse per lb for the first 5lbs over, 8% for every lb after that.

Also... has Rumble been officially cut? Haven't seen anything about that yet.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

MMA Junkie have reported that he has been released.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26982/anthony-johnson-released-from-ufc.mma
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Haha great to see him cut. Some people aim to be the best Striker, AO going to K-1 to sharpen his Standup, fighters like Maia in ADCC etc.. but Rumble he just wants to be the biggest guy, bullyboy tactics. Size over Skill got disproved in UFC 1.

At 170 he was the size of a Big Mw. Insted of staying that size and actually being a farily big Mw he BULKED UP to move to 185!! Theres a fucking head scratcher.

Weighed close enough to the Mw limit when he was missing the cuts at 170 so to bulk up he was just trying to keep his Size advantage while movign up a devision and got what he diserved. Gassed -> Choked out -> Fired Laughing

He starts his cut from 220. Now that doesnt sound mad for a Mw but Id bet a lot of his training camp is loosing weight and getting in shape because off season Rumble probabally walks around as big as Rampage or some of the bigger Lhw's.

Dream would be the best move for him if he wants back to the UFC but Id reckon he would rather stay in the States. All I would say if he wants to stay at 185 and not move up to Lhw where he should be he sould Avoid Bellator because Lombard would wipe the floor with him.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm

did anyone else see the pre fight weigh in where belfort weighed in at 205.6 and rumble 211?!?!?!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:20 am