THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
Sheldan
The_Axe_Emperor
1972-casual
GSPfan11
Bulldog67
rudeboyben84
thebadgersbits
p4pnumber_1
pinsman
15 posters

COME ON UBERKNEE!!!

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

COME ON UBERKNEE!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: COME ON UBERKNEE!!!

Post  Sheldan Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 am

pinsman wrote:What upset you sheldan?

Everybody discredting Brock's achievements simply because they don't like him.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:27 am

Sheldan wrote:

Yeah I agree. Its the same with Bisping on here. And the Diaz bros (not so much on here but on other sites I see them bashed a lot.)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:49 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Yeah I agree. Its the same with Bisping on here. And the Diaz bros (not so much on here but on other sites I see them bashed a lot.)

Not sure how you can put Bitchping in with Lesnar and the Diaz brothers. Bitchping has a total of ZERO wins against top 10 opponents. Lesnar has beaten 2 and a half UFC champs, Nick Diaz just beat an all-time great, and Nate is coming off a win against Cerrone who was one of the form fighters in the LW division and a definite top ten fighter.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:59 am

I don't see Uberoid beating JDS. JDS is much quicker and better conditioned and can take him down if need be. JDS is clearly better but Overoid probably has a slight edge standing because of those knees. JDS has a much better chin though, Overroid can't take Junior's punches. If it turns to a brawl, Overoid is going to sleep.

The fight was disappointing IMO, it was a complete non-performance from Lesnar. He looked unusually weak and only went for one takedown.

I was expecting his retirement and I think it's for the best. It's a shame we never saw him work his way up like a normal fighter would and fight some mid level Heavies. In his short career he has fought the best in the division (and Herring and Min-Soo Kim) and I guess it's part of his personality to only ever want compete at the highest level. Credit to him for giving it a go, he won some fights, won a belt, made a ton of money and gave the sport a lot of exposure and love him or loathe him you have to give him respect. Especially after coming back from a serious illness twice. He'll probably be at the Royal Rumble in a couple of weeks.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Not sure how you can put Bitchping in with Lesnar and the Diaz brothers. Bitchping has a total of ZERO wins against top 10 opponents. Lesnar has beaten 2 and a half UFC champs, Nick Diaz just beat an all-time great, and Nate is coming off a win against Cerrone who was one of the form fighters in the LW division and a definite top ten fighter.

Bisping is a top contender in the middleweight division whether we like it or not and, in my opinion, doesn't get enough credit for it.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:28 am

To a degree lesnar is a promtion product of dana white and the ufc org. A household name in america through wwe makes good business sense for them to promote him and most fell for the hype untill the carwin fight.
    Was hardly surprising to see diaz break compu strike record either his punch rate was epic.

As for the diaz brothers bad attitudes i dont think they are quite as bad as some fighters look at tyson prize prick .
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Bisping is a top contender in the middleweight division whether we like it or not and, in my opinion, doesn't get enough credit for it.

He's a "top contender" that has never beaten anyone in the top 10 and fights in the weakest division the UFC has to offer.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:36 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't see Uberoid beating JDS. JDS is much quicker and better conditioned and can take him down if need be. JDS is clearly better but Overoid probably has a slight edge standing because of those knees. JDS has a much better chin though, Overroid can't take Junior's punches. If it turns to a brawl, Overoid is going to sleep.

The fight was disappointing IMO, it was a complete non-performance from Lesnar. He looked unusually weak and only went for one takedown.

I was expecting his retirement and I think it's for the best. It's a shame we never saw him work his way up like a normal fighter would and fight some mid level Heavies. In his short career he has fought the best in the division (and Herring and Min-Soo Kim) and I guess it's part of his personality to only ever want compete at the highest level. Credit to him for giving it a go, he won some fights, won a belt, made a ton of money and gave the sport a lot of exposure and love him or loathe him you have to give him respect. Especially after coming back from a serious illness twice. He'll probably be at the Royal Rumble in a couple of weeks.

I think if the Reem fights against JDS the way he fought against Brock, he'll get knocked out. Hands held low, no real intention to throw punches. JDS has very quick hands and great power. He'll tag Overeem for fun unless Reem brings his hands up, and if he does that, with his kickboxing stance, JDS will take him down with ease.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 am

Do you not think his hands were low because of brocks takedowns? Can't believe you guys are saying jds will out strike overeem so easily! This is the K1 world champ!
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 am

Dont think anyone saying he is going to do it easily more a case of a very dangerous fighter with heavy hands . The reem can gas and has been ko'd on a few occasions to heavy hitters.Can go either way IMO but will stick with JDS as i think he will be top dog for a while .
    Not that its anything to go off but look at JDS vs WEWERDUM then REEM vs WERDUM,nothing concrete in it i know but an insight .
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 am

Anfield you must have liked the Judokas fights at the last event, was good to see a few hip throws even if one was cocked up.

I dont know how people didnt spot Overeem adapting his style. As well as Hands by his sides his stance was rediculously low set. Through the fight he was a head shorter than Lesnar because his feet were so wide set and his knees so bent, he was intent on stopping a takedown.

Against Junior he will fight it like his K-1 fights because I dont think JDS will shoot at all. I dont think he is anywhere near Physical enough to take and keep Reem down.

I reckon there a decent chance that he KO's Overeem if they stand at punching Range. JDS is the only man at Hw Reem cant bang it out with but I think he will brutalise Junior in the clintch and not play to Juniors strengths.

As a striker would JDS hold his own against Bonjasky, beat Aerts and Badr etc.. I cant see it. Overeem is a better overall striker and K-1 > Boxing in an MMA fight.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:02 pm

pinsman wrote:Do you not think his hands were low because of brocks takedowns? Can't believe you guys are saying jds will out strike overeem so easily! This is the K1 world champ!

Tend to agree Reem is not going to fight like that against JDS, The threat of the takedown and Brock's rudimentary stand up was his reasoning for his hands down.

Got a feeling Reem might actually get JDS down and stop him on the floor.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I think Lesnar's getting a bit too much flack for his performance. He actually tried to set up the takedown a couple of times but Overeem was just a step ahead of him, out whenever Lesnar got close. He went for it when Overeem countered his second jab of the fight with an over hand right, and he was trying to set it up with a following straight right. Also you could see he was trying to time Overeem stepping in with knees, which was pretty much countered by the fact that when Overeem led with knees he did so with his arms low ready to grab double underhooks.

For some reason there seems to have been this attitude expressed that Lesnar should have gone for the bullrush of old he used. I think this is kind of perplexing because it's almost unanimously advocated to all other wrestlers that they try to set up their takedowns. Even though charging in like a Rhino worked in the past(on occassion) for Lesnar, it's always better to try to set up and time your shots.

Plus I'm unconvinced he could have shot from distance successfully anyway. Overeem is an absolute monster with his underhooks and Lesnar doesn't shoot particularly low.

Lesnar has nothing to feel ashamed of, he's not a guy who has the natural inclinations of a fighter, but he is a gifted athlete who decided to give the sport a go and by god he added a little extra flavour to the division for a few years. His wins over Mir and Carwin will go down as classic modern heavyweight fights. Glad we got to see him fight.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 pm

The full list of UFC 141 medical suspensions included:

-Brock Lesnar: Suspended until June 28 due to an abdominal injury, though he can be cleared early by a physician

-Alistair Overeem: Suspended until Feb. 14 with no contact until Jan. 30 due to lacerations near his right eye

-Nate Diaz: Suspended until June 28 due to a right-eye injury, though he can be cleared early by an ophthalmologist; regardless, suspended until Jan. 30 with no contact until Jan. 12 for precautionary reasons

-Donald Cerrone: Suspended until Feb. 14 with no contact until Jan. 30 due to a lower-lip cut

-Jon Fitch: Suspended until Feb. 29 with no contact until Feb. 14 for precautionary reasons

-Vladimir Matyushenko: Suspended until June 28 due to a possible left-knee injury, though he can be cleared early by an orthopedic doctor; regardless, suspended until Feb. 14 with no contact until Jan. 30 for precautionary reasons

-Alexander Gustafsson: Suspended until Jan. 30 with no contact until Jan. 21 due to right-tibia contusion

-Nam Phan: Suspended until Feb. 29 with no contact until Feb. 14 due to a right-eyebrow cut

-Junior Assuncao: Suspended until Jan. 30 with no contact until Jan. 21 due a right-cheek cut

-Dong Hyun Kim: Suspended until Jan. 30 with no contact until Jan. 21 due to left-foot contusion

-Manny Gamburyan: Suspended until June 28 due to a possible right-shoulder injury, though he can be cleared early by an orthopedic doctor and X-ray; regardless, suspended until Jan. 30 with no contact until Jan. 12 for precautionary reasons

-Diego Nunes: Suspended until Feb. 14 with no contact until Jan. 30 due to a cut near left eye
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:30 am

pinsman wrote:Do you not think his hands were low because of brocks takedowns? Can't believe you guys are saying jds will out strike overeem so easily! This is the K1 world champ!

Mark Hunt was the K1 world champ as well mate. A number of people would outstrike him. Reem's a very good striker but he's not a Badr Hari level striker. He won the K1 GP in a weak year. No Hari, no Bonjasky. JDS has better hands than Reem and can outbox him.

And as for his hands, he kept them low against Rogers too if memory serves.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:29 am

Hari and bonjasky are beasts but schillt had beaten hari in previous GP's and he was involved, spong was there I thought it was a decent turn out... although when I saw the final was aerts v overeem I knee overeem had it easy.

It's all about how JDS deals with the clinch and weather overeem can get in close enough... I'm desperate for alistar to win!

What's hari doing these days? I heard he was thinking about boxing.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Hari's having his last kickboxing fight against Gokhan Saki on the 28th of this month. He's then focusing on boxing.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Hari's having his last kickboxing fight against Gokhan Saki on the 28th of this month. He's then focusing on boxing.

too bad he is going to boxing, but that fight is gonna be fireworks!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 am

I think Anfields on to something here (for once Razz )

If Overoid keeps his hands low then JDS will punch him in the face and knock him out. However if he keeps his hands up then it leaves him vulnerable to a take down. JDS isn't known for his wrestling but he has one of the most successful take down ratios in the HW division. He's taken down big strong men before.

The most dangerous thing for JDS is the clinch. Overoid is a beast in the clinch and no one can take too many of his knees. If it turns to a brawl, I honestly don't think Reem has the chin to take JDS punches. It's not going to be a war like people are saying because if does one will go down quickly and it will probably be Overoid. He has to fight smart, more Lyoto Machida and less Leonard Garcia. He has been battered by boxers in the past like Segei and Lil Nog.

Yes he is a K-1 champ IMO a weak year but it was an impressive win all the same. Everyone talks about that win over Hari.I don't want to say he got lucky because that's unfair but he threw a shot, it landed and with his power he's always going to knock his opponent out no matter who they are. If you look at there second fight Hari absolutely wiped the floor with him. It wasn't an impressive KO but he completely destroyed him. Would JDS beat Hari? Probably not but if he landed a punch on Hari's chin he would KO him as well.

On another note, Hari vs Saki is going to be epic! Now that will be a war.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:JDS isn't known for his wrestling but he has one of the most successful take down ratios in the HW division. He's taken down big strong men before.

Are you referring to Carwin there I'll be honest I think a slight breeze could have took him down at the end of the 3rd Laughing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:00 pm