THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times? Empty Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times?

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I recently read a post about Legends of the sport who just didnt move with the times. No matter what they did in their training camps they went out and did the same thing in the ring. They pointed out a few, I remember Fedor and Wanderlei as examples.

Fedor spent a training camp with Ernesto hoost before one of his Strikeforce fights, since then he really hasnt thrown a Kick. Fedors style always got the job done but when it didnt he hasnt changed the way he figths at all.

Wanderlei was the same, No matter what, its arms at 45 degrees swinging hooks, chin in the air, do or die. In Pride he was a physical moster, back when he was fighting at Hw the force of him on the front foot was too much for anyone. Now he is older he has lost the recovery he used to have. When he gets into those toe to toe exchanges with the bigger hitters in the devision like Stann, Leben etc.. he will get his lights turned out. Wand never had the best chin in MMA, Tito and Sakuraba have buckled him knees with a punch but he recovered well, I think now hes older that gameplan will have to go out the window.

Wanderlei has really stepped his training up, he has been training his striking with Anderson Silva and Jerome Le Banner is there too...

Found this other video He was training with Mark Munoz, Brendan Schaub, Krzysztof Soszynski, and Jake Ellenberger. And every Clip I see of him in Kings Babalu and Werdum are there.

People always talk about a guy being out of a good camp, a Greg Jackson fighter or hes a AKA, and its an advantage. There are great sparing partners at AKA and Jacksons boys will teach you how to Shoot your "Supliments" propperly and the art of greasing.

Kings MMA is an absolutly great Gym, Rafael Cordeiro is a great coach you can see in the clips he teaches Wanderlei to play to his strengths too Anderson is goin there with Munoz and they are both a big part of Blackhouse.

Wanderlei is a veteran, he knows his career is on the line and wants to fight on. Look at Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le. Shamrock lands good punches on him, Cung walks about with Low hands, Wand isnt going to be at Kicking range looking at him training with Anderson he is specifically trying to get in, use Elbows, be ready to close him.

If it comes to Grappling. It sounds weird but im fairly confident Wanderlei wil dominate him,

Arona is a world class grappler, he took him down, landed GnP... Wouldnt Cung Le be a lot easier than that?

The only way Cung wins is if Wanderlei stands and slugs it out to make s pretty fight, I dont think pleasing Fans or KO or fight of the night will be on his mind. I reckon he plays this one smart and wins. Having a great chin isnt as essential to an MMA fighter as it is to a Boxer, if Wanderli can mix in his groundgame and Clintchwork we know he has he will win this and I reckon be successfull again, one fight at a time but I reckon he is going to be ranked again in the devision.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times? Empty Re: Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times?

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:51 pm

What do you guys think? Will he come out all guns blazing chin in the air or because his UFC Career is on the line will he mix things up like he did before?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times? Empty Re: Is Wandereli a legend willing to move with the times?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Rafael Cordeiro on trying to get Wanderlei to calm down

“Wanderlei always fought with pressure, for five years he was Pride champion he was number one in the world at 205, no different now, he loves to fight with pressure. For sure he is going to change this result,” Cordeiro says.

“Its about preparing Wanderlei to fight with his head not his heart, take his time, beat Cung Le over three rounds… Like he says, ‘I have control of the fight until the guy hits my face. When the guy hits my face I am blind, I just want to kick his ass, I want to cut the head off my opponent.’
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm hoping Wandi can find a good balance of aggression and patience tonight,and basically beat Cung with his own game plan.
    I really don't want to see him do a Leban and go gung Ho on Cung le(that was fun to say) and be put to sleep early.

I want him to keep the pressure on Cung in the first,keep him on the back foot,but without planting his feet and having a wild slugfest standoff.
    Break him down abit and look to take him out in the 2nd or 3rd,where I'm hoping Cung's cardio will be about done by then.

I'm backing Wandi,but I'm not overly confident about it.
    I just want him to put on a good performance,as I really don't want this to be the last we see of Wandi in the Octagon.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Win or lose I hope he retires. He's been my favourite fighter for as long as I've liked MMA, so if he loses tonight then for obvious reasons he should hang up his gloves. However from a purely selfish point of view, even with a win I think he should consider quitting while he's ahead, and retiring on a win.

I think Le will school him though Sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:49 pm