THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
manschesthair_utd
hendos_right_hook
wilksdaman
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
Paolo_73
10 posters

Fedor against the cage

Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Fedor against the cage Empty Fedor against the cage

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:43 pm

One thing I'm interested in studying this weekend is how Fedor carries himself inside the cage, and whether or not he takes a significantly different approach with his footwork etc.

Inside the ring he tended to allow himself to be backed into the ropes without too much concern, most recent example would be the Arlovski fight, where he took the shot which backed him up, almost allowing himself to spring off the corner in winding up the KO. I wonder if he'll be more defensive of his position in the cage? I can't imagine him wanting to be pressed up by Rogers, it's the difference between a few ropes keeping you on the mat, and a cage wall limiting your movement and providing leverage for your opponent.

My guess is that if the standup is too close for Fedor's liking he'll look to take it to the centre of the mat and avoid the extremeties. How do other people think he'll handle it?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Fedor against the cage Empty Re: Fedor against the cage

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Fedors cornerment said they want him on the front foot pressing the fight so I think the Cage will have no bearing on the fight. Expect Fedor to be moving forward throwing punches from unusual angles and using his far superior upper body movement to avoid Rogers' easily telegraphed shots. Rogers drops hishands when he throws, Fedor can do hte same but Fedor moves his head and bobs and weaves a lot more than Rogers.

Look at how Fedor Drops Zulu or Tim Syliva so easily, Id expect him to come out all guns blazing and do the same to Rogers. I dont expect his back to touch the cage.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:05 pm

So do you think his goal is to knock him out then Ben? Or will he come out and shoot for the takedown straightaway to tap him out?

I think the second is more likely, I don't see why he would bother trading with him when he can handle him with much more ease on the ground. How's Rogers' sprawl? Have we ever seen it?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm

I think Fedor is going to put on a quick submission masterclass and maybe escape this fight without even being hit.

Quick takedown,full mount,armbar,job done or
    quick takedown,gets Rogers back,quick squeeze,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Rogers.

Fedor should be looking to make a huge impact on the US audience,so I think he would be daft to try and stand with Rogers,where Rogers has a punches chance,when he can have an easy night and look fantastic doing it.When he gets Rogers down and taps him in under a minute,he will show the US audience just how great he is,an intellegent,emotionless fighter,a true cerebral assasin.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:26 pm

"a true cerebral assasin"

Great tagline mate! Now is about the time where I start shitting myself that some no name is going to beat Fedor and we all have to hear about how the 'myth' was overhyped etc. Imagine how smug the fools backing Rogers would be?

If Fedor gets knocked out then he's still #1 for me, everyone gets clipped eventually. If he gets dominated for the full length of the fight that's different, but I'd bet my grandmother that it'll never happen. The haters won' recognise a difference though.....
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Fedor's been hit, lots. He's not as elusive as someone like Machida, primarily because of their completely different styles. However, he's obviously never been knocked out. He looked to be in BIG trouble when Fujifilm cracked him with that massive right hand to the temple. That proved he isnt unshakable, Imagine if Rogers were to catch him with a similar punch, with the extra 50 pounds of weight behind it. Might be just enough to put Fedor down.

Anyway, purely speculation. I think this one is going to the ground, and that can only end one way...
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm

My head is telling me that there is absolutely possibility of Fedor losing this fight, but I have that sort of nervous feeling you get before an exam, what happens if he, somehow, makes a mistake.

You have to take into account the distant possibility the Fedor actually makes a mistake, but I can't see Rogers taking advantage of that, he'll swing wildly, maybe land a few, get taken down and played with.

Sorry if the end of that sentence sounded rude Razz
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:19 pm

IT would make sence to get Rogers down ASAP and tap the Mr T wannabee... But Every time ive seen Fedor recently he looks to be working on his Boxing... I think he will try to stand with Rogers and its not as dangerous as some say. Rogers doesn have great technique or handspeed or accuracy for that matter. I think Fedor can give him a sound beating on the Feet... Wether he chooses to is up to him. Rogers has a good sprawl, Ive only seen him defend TD's a handfull of times but due to his Size he is touigh to ground.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Rampage is the wannabe Mr T, Rogers turned down a chance to audition for the role of BA!

anyway having a good sprawl wont help you much against Fedor he doesnt shoot for the legs very often, how he defends throws is more important.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 pm

wilksdaman wrote:Fedor's been hit, lots. He's not as elusive as someone like Machida, primarily because of their completely different styles. However, he's obviously never been knocked out. He looked to be in BIG trouble when Fujifilm cracked him with that massive right hand to the temple. That proved he isnt unshakable, Imagine if Rogers were to catch him with a similar punch, with the extra 50 pounds of weight behind it. Might be just enough to put Fedor down.

Anyway, purely speculation. I think this one is going to the ground, and that can only end one way...

Fedor is actually more elusive than Machida:

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=3085

Frank Mir: 2.7 SApM
    Rashad Evans: 1.39 SApM
    BJ Penn: 1.23 SApM
    Georges St. Pierre: 1.01 SApM
    Anderson Silva: 0.71 SApM
    Lyoto Machida: 0.64 SApM
    Fedor Emelianenko: 0.59 SApM

Anyway, Fedor has said in a recent interview that he has done some work against the cage, and he didn't find it that different, and said that the main thing to worry about is judging distance, which is the same in a ring or a cage.

I don't really think that's the case, I think there's a big difference between the ring and cage, particularly in regards to clinch work, however Fedor has always spoken in quite a simple manner about fighting, which is utterly at odds with the cerebral way in which he actually approaches fighting.

I know Rogers has said that his plan is to bang and try to take Fedor's head off, but I think his gameplan will involve pushing Fedor up against the cage, leaning on him, making him expend energy, and then trying to unload when breaking from the clinch whilst Fedor's back is against the cage. I think evasive movement would be a lot harder backed up against a fence rather than against the ropes in a ring, and Rogers would be stupid to not try to exploit the environmental differences that Fedor has yet to actually experience.

On the other hand, the shape of the cage can play into Fedor's hands. He's always had good lateral movement, and it's harder to get cornered in the cage. In the fight camp videos, Fedor was working on combinations on the bag followed by a sidestep which he could clinch from, a lot like some of the takedowns he used against Herring.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:35 pm

It's just Fedors size and the length of his undefeated run,I mean it's common knowledge,this is MMA and everybody loses a fight don't they?????
    I think it's always these two things that makes people have doubts just before Fedor fights,which just goes to show how impressive he is at Heavyweight to keep beating,and usually convincingly beating his bigger opponents,so his skills are undoubted.
    Rogers is huge like alot of the heavyweights now,cutting to make the 265 limit.They are not like alot of the big guys Fedor has fought,these actually are atheletes,they have good cardio and can hit hard and acurate.

I don't really see Rogers to be the kind of fighter that should really worry Fedor except for an early one punch KO,which to be fair Fedor has fought and beat lots of fighters that brought the same threat(this fight reminds me of Fedors Hunt fight to be honest),I personally want to see how Fedor matches against the new bigger genaration of Heavyweights that not only have a size advantage and maybe hit harder but also have the cardio and ground game to challenge him there.

Thats why it would be absolutely gutting if we don't see him in the UFC before he's finished as the UFC has the monopoly on these kind of fighters at the moment,thats where all the fighters that Fedor should be fighting to finish his carear off in style,this M1-UFC bullshit is denying us fans of what we want to see,Fedor fighting the likes of Brock,Mir,JDS,Cain and Carwins,even your Kongos and Gonzagas not your Rogers,Werdums and Overeems,also I know I would love to see him fight Nog again before he retires.

Oh and I don't think the cage will make much of a differance against Rogers if anything it may even help Fedor to trap Rogers and finish him,but it will be interesting to see if it has any affects on him when he crosses paths with one of the huge wrestlers.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:It's just Fedors size and the length of his undefeated run,I mean it's common knowledge,this is MMA and everybody loses a fight don't they?????
    I think it's always these two things that makes people have doubts just before Fedor fights,which just goes to show how impressive he is at Heavyweight to keep beating,and usually convincingly beating his bigger opponents,so his skills are undoubted.
    Rogers is huge like alot of the heavyweights now,cutting to make the 265 limit.They are not like alot of the big guys Fedor has fought,these actually are atheletes,they have good cardio and can hit hard and acurate.

I don't really see Rogers to be the kind of fighter that should really worry Fedor except for an early one punch KO,which to be fair Fedor has fought and beat lots of fighters that brought the same threat(this fight reminds me of Fedors Hunt fight to be honest),I personally want to see how Fedor matches against the new bigger genaration of Heavyweights that not only have a size advantage and maybe hit harder but also have the cardio and ground game to challenge him there.

Thats why it would be absolutely gutting if we don't see him in the UFC before he's finished as the UFC has the monopoly on these kind of fighters at the moment,thats where all the fighters that Fedor should be fighting to finish his carear off in style,this M1-UFC bullshit is denying us fans of what we want to see,Fedor fighting the likes of Brock,Mir,JDS,Cain and Carwins,even your Kongos and Gonzagas not your Rogers,Werdums and Overeems,also I know I would love to see him fight Nog again before he retires.

Oh and I don't think the cage will make much of a differance against Rogers if anything it may even help Fedor to trap Rogers and finish him,but it will be interesting to see if it has any affects on him when he crosses paths with one of the huge wrestlers.

i dont see how Carwin is any better than Rogers, or Mir than Werdum, and i dont see how Lesnar is any better than Overeem either. We will see how Cain fares against Nog.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:It's just Fedors size and the length of his undefeated run,I mean it's common knowledge,this is MMA and everybody loses a fight don't they?????

i dont see how Carwin is any better than Rogers, or Mir than Werdum, and i dont see how Lesnar is any better than Overeem either. We will see how Cain fares against Nog.

I think it's a question of how styles match-up. I don't think Carwin is "better" than Rogers in terms of accomplishments, but Carwin is a more compelling fight for Fedor because he can take people down and he's got vicious ground and pound. Likewise, Lesnar. Fedor has been taken down by smaller wrestlers, Coleman, Randleman and even Nogueira scored a clean double leg on him. The question is how Fedor deals with monstrous wrestlers who far outweigh him and have a good base/submission defense taking him down. Mir doesn't exactly have the best defensive guard, but I think the fact he could get nothing going off his back against Lesnar is pretty significant.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:25 pm

I'd say most sites rankings and even our own Armbar rankings would say other wise.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:52 pm

dunno about the armbar but sherdog have rogers ranked higher than JDS, Cain, and Carwin.
    Lesnar is 4-1...
    Barnett is 24-5!

there is no way Mir is a better fighter than Werdum, he is only ranked so high because of his staph-Nog win.

anyway i dont know why i am saying this, because most rankings dont rank fighters in order of "whos a better fighter" rather "what was your last fight"
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Fedor+Takedown=Sub in 30 seconds. Thats how I see it really. Fedor isn't going to lose to this guy unless he makes a terrible mistake.

Carwin is better than Rogers because he isn't one dimensional like Rogers. He hits hard and has wrestling. Rogers just hits hard. Mir is better than Werdum as well, Werdum has better BJJ but Mir is much better standing up. Ye Mir is a dick but he is a good fighter as well. Mir is a former UFC champ, Werdum struggles to beat Mike Kyle.

dunno about the armbar but sherdog have rogers ranked higher than JDS, Cain, and Carwin.
    Lesnar is 4-1...
    Barnett is 24-5!

Not sure how that is possible to be honest. JDS has three good wins in a row, one against a top 10 HW, one against a fellow up and comer and one against one of the greatest of all time. Rogers has won against an AA who had his head up his ass. Velasquez has beaten Kongo and Rothwell now, Kongo would KTFO of AA. Carwin beat Gonzaga who I think would have beat the AA that fought Rogers.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 pm

sunthunder wrote:
    wilksdaman wrote:Fedor's been hit, lots. He's not as elusive as someone like Machida, primarily because of their completely different styles. However, he's obviously never been knocked out. He looked to be in BIG trouble when Fujifilm cracked him with that massive right hand to the temple. That proved he isnt unshakable, Imagine if Rogers were to catch him with a similar punch, with the extra 50 pounds of weight behind it. Might be just enough to put Fedor down.

Fedor is actually more elusive than Machida:

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=3085

Frank Mir: 2.7 SApM
    Rashad Evans: 1.39 SApM
    BJ Penn: 1.23 SApM
    Georges St. Pierre: 1.01 SApM
    Anderson Silva: 0.71 SApM
    Lyoto Machida: 0.64 SApM
    Fedor Emelianenko: 0.59 SApM

Anyway, Fedor has said in a recent interview that he has done some work against the cage, and he didn't find it that different, and said that the main thing to worry about is judging distance, which is the same in a ring or a cage.

I don't really think that's the case, I think there's a big difference between the ring and cage, particularly in regards to clinch work, however Fedor has always spoken in quite a simple manner about fighting, which is utterly at odds with the cerebral way in which he actually approaches fighting.

I know Rogers has said that his plan is to bang and try to take Fedor's head off, but I think his gameplan will involve pushing Fedor up against the cage, leaning on him, making him expend energy, and then trying to unload when breaking from the clinch whilst Fedor's back is against the cage. I think evasive movement would be a lot harder backed up against a fence rather than against the ropes in a ring, and Rogers would be stupid to not try to exploit the environmental differences that Fedor has yet to actually experience.

On the other hand, the shape of the cage can play into Fedor's hands. He's always had good lateral movement, and it's harder to get cornered in the cage. In the fight camp videos, Fedor was working on combinations on the bag followed by a sidestep which he could clinch from, a lot like some of the takedowns he used against Herring.

I stand corrected!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Has anyone seen the latest episode of MMA live?? Brett Rogers is a muppet! Two quotes:

"Fedor doesn't have strong stand-up"

Are you kidding me?? He did with one punch what it took Rogers 8 to do against Arlovski!

"If you see me out there letting him touch me, i'm just waiting"

Waiting for what?? To get knocked out??

Enjoy your sleep and your time in the spotlight you fool.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:23 pm

To be honest, even though fighting in a ring is his bread and butter, i'm sure he has put in plenty of fight time in a cage, after all Fedor does nothing by halves........ Or they have just implanted a "kick ass in a cage" chip into his t1000 terminator circuit board. Either way, Fedor takes it in the 1st round by RNC.

That being said, i always get a wee bit worried when i hear he is fighting, but then he wins and i'm like "yeah, i knew he would" lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:00 am