THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
2brutal
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
11 posters

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury. Empty GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Post  Sheldan Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Hot off the press:

Dana White:
    I just land in NYC and what do I always say!? I have to deal with bad shit everyday!! GSP is out with an injury!!! #oneofthosedays

Not sure what they could possibly do now, maybe just pull Condit from the card and have GSP VS Condit further down the line, surely they can't alter the Penn VS Diaz fight now, I think that fight will just become the main event, that makes the most sense. Gutted that GSP is out, it would have been interested to see how Condit did against him.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury. Empty Re: GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Post  Sheldan Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 pm

Dana just confirmed on his Twitter that Condit will face GSP at a later date, and that Penn VS Diaz is the new main event. Sadly it will only be 3 rounds and not 5.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm

FFS!!! Well that's shit! Evil or Very Mad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 pm

When are the 5 round non-title main events meant to kick in?

This really is a big blow and it fucks up the WW title picture because Diaz vs Penn can no longer be considered a number 1 contender fight. Whoever wins will have to have at least one more fight unless they fancy sitting out for about 9 months after this fight so that GSP can fight Condit which probably won't take place til late Jan or early Feb now. And GSP only fights about once every 6 months these days so you're looking July or August before Penn or Diaz gets a title shot. Penn might sit out that long, but Diaz definitely won't.

137 just went from being a great card to a nothing special card IMO.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:When are the 5 round non-title main events meant to kick in?

This really is a big blow and it fucks up the WW title picture because Diaz vs Penn can no longer be considered a number 1 contender fight. Whoever wins will have to have at least one more fight unless they fancy sitting out for about 9 months after this fight so that GSP can fight Condit which probably won't take place til late Jan or early Feb now. And GSP only fights about once every 6 months these days so you're looking July or August before Penn or Diaz gets a title shot. Penn might sit out that long, but Diaz definitely won't.

137 just went from being a great card to a nothing special card IMO.

Munoz v Leben is the first one i think.

Yeah this is terrible news! Unless they bring in somebody to fight Condit but don't see that happening.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 pm

I can't help but feel that if Munoz vs Leben goes 5 rounds it'll be a terribly boring fight.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Koscheck just tweeted "Hey dana Smile Duty calls again?"

Apparently he wants Condit!! Would be great to see it!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Gutted absolutely gutted!

I get the same feeling about the Munoz fight Anfield, neither strike me as a championship calibre fighter and you need championship calibre stamina for a 5 rounder, Munoz and Leben can barely last fifteen minutes!!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Conditi vs Koscheck would be a worthwhile scrap and a good replacement IMO, I think Condit would KO him though. At least I'd hope so
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm

I'd hope for the Condit KO aswell.

Siver/Cerrone now on main card !
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 am

Sorry that's not actually official that they're on the main card, but let's hope so
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 am

I doubt Siver/Cerrone will be moved off Spike, it was like 136 when Garcia/Phan was moved off the prelims onto the main card and Maia/Santiago and Pettis/Stephens was kept on Spike. I think Vera VS Marshall will be moved to the main card.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 am

GSP has just sprained his MCL. It usually just 4 weeks max to get better, i sprained mine 2 weeks ago and im all better, but im not an athlete ofcourse..... Im really hoping they put Condit-GSP this year but i really doubt it, unless they put Bones and GSP for Toronto?? But that would probably be a waste as its not even in Rogers Centre.

Looks like January next year at the latest, BJ-Diaz will probably have to fight Fitch (if he wins) or Ellenberger if he beats Sanchez.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 am

Yeah Kos vs Condit makes more sence than Pulling him, or Fitch vs Condit, make him Earn his title shot. If Diaz gets past Penn he should get the shot ahead of Condit.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Gutted absolutely gutted!

I get the same feeling about the Munoz fight Anfield, neither strike me as a championship calibre fighter and you need championship calibre stamina for a 5 rounder, Munoz and Leben can barely last fifteen minutes!!

Agree. And I fancy Munoz to lay and pray his way to a decision so we're looking at 25 minutes of dross.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am

Kos vs Condit is ideal. Fair play to Kos for stepping up to the plate time and again. It's odd that people felt GSP would beat Condit because of his wrestling but are backing Condit to beat an even better wrestler with more power in his hands and a better chin.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

GSP has just sprained his MCL. It usually just 4 weeks max to get better, i sprained mine 2 weeks ago and im all better, but im not an athlete ofcourse..... Im really hoping they put Condit-GSP this year but i really doubt it, unless they put Bones and GSP for Toronto?? But that would probably be a waste as its not even in Rogers Centre.

Looks like January next year at the latest, BJ-Diaz will probably have to fight Fitch (if he wins) or Ellenberger if he beats Sanchez.

They could put it on New Years Eve I suppose. Reem vs Brock is lasting only as long as it takes Reem to land a punch so there'd definitely be time for a GSP snooze-fest on that card.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Kos vs Condit is ideal. Fair play to Kos for stepping up to the plate time and again. It's odd that people felt GSP would beat Condit because of his wrestling but are backing Condit to beat an even better wrestler with more power in his hands and a better chin.

I think the reason for that is GSP's Striking is better than Koschecks and Condit's Striking is also better than Koschecks. Also GSP is a much better fighter than Koscheck. I actually don't think Kos is a better wrestler either, maybe on paper he is, but he has been dominated twice by GSP and the first time was due to better wrestling.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Kos vs Condit is ideal. Fair play to Kos for stepping up to the plate time and again. It's odd that people felt GSP would beat Condit because of his wrestling but are backing Condit to beat an even better wrestler with more power in his hands and a better chin.

Kos offered to take the fight but It looks like Condit is wanting to wait on GSP.

I dont know that Kos has a better chin than GSP, people brand GSP Chinny too quickly, they both have 1 KO loss, Kos' P.Thiago and Serra both only have 2 KO's to their name so if Kos has a better chin its barely worth mentioning.

Also look at the Alves fights, GSP could get him down, Kos couldnt. GSP has a higher TD rate, his shot is a lot quicker and harder to stop because he is rediculously explosive. Best TD's in UFC so I dont see why Kos is better. If its about Controll on the ground thats all GSP does most fight, Smothers people boring ass wrestling contoll.

But Kos offers nothing except heavier hands than GSP, not to knock him as a fighter but anything he can do GSP can do better.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 am

rudeboyben84 wrote: anything he can do GSP can do better.

Sums it up perfectly.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 am

Diaz camp says they want the fight against Penn to be a 5-rounder. Waiting for Penn to respond.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:35 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:

Kos offered to take the fight but It looks like Condit is wanting to wait on GSP.

I dont know that Kos has a better chin than GSP, people brand GSP Chinny too quickly, they both have 1 KO loss, Kos' P.Thiago and Serra both only have 2 KO's to their name so if Kos has a better chin its barely worth mentioning.

Also look at the Alves fights, GSP could get him down, Kos couldnt. GSP has a higher TD rate, his shot is a lot quicker and harder to stop because he is rediculously explosive. Best TD's in UFC so I dont see why Kos is better. If its about Controll on the ground thats all GSP does most fight, Smothers people boring ass wrestling contoll.

But Kos offers nothing except heavier hands than GSP, not to knock him as a fighter but anything he can do GSP can do better.

Kos has far better wrestling. He went through a phase of not training it and it cost him victories. Look at his two fights prior to fighting GSP the second time. Dominant wrestling. Rumble is an excellent wrestler, and he's huge with very very good takedown defence. Kos took him down with ease. GSP's wrestling is hugely over-rated. Look at their second fight when Kos was back training wrestling every day. GSP tried to take him down, failed miserably, stopped trying. Kos took GSP down with ease. He was limited in his ability to shoot in that fight because he was fighting with one eye and from a takedown point of view, that makes judging distance and avoiding punches very difficult. Kos is more powerful and explosive in his shot. Take out the fights he wasn't training wrestling for. The Alves fight was taken on two weeks notice and he came in drained having cut down from 191 in two weeks. Take out fights taken on short notice and the time he spent focusing purely on his hands and not his wrestling, and Koscheck's TD success percentage is right up there with GSP's.

GSP got KO'd by a fat lightweight who was much smaller than him. Kos got KOd by a guy that has fought at MW and has a shitload of power. He may only have 1 career KO with his hands but he's got 4 or 5 subs set up by punches that put guys on the verge of a nap. GSP has only 1 KO loss because he stopped fighting in a manner that left his chin exposed after the Serra fight and became a lay and pray and jab and jog merchant. Other than against Hughes who has no power, and Serra against whom he was proven a point and in reality didn't take any risks, GSP has been the safest fighter in the UFC in terms of taking risks. Koscheck also took that Thiago fight on short notice and it was a pretty questionable stoppage. GSP was knocked silly and had months to prepare.

GSP is a better fighter, no question but Kos has heavier hands, better wrestling and a better chin. GSP has better striker, moves better and has better head and foot movement and he's better at BJJ.

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

I think the reason for that is GSP's Striking is better than Koschecks and Condit's Striking is also better than Koschecks. Also GSP is a much better fighter than Koscheck. I actually don't think Kos is a better wrestler either, maybe on paper he is, but he has been dominated twice by GSP and the first time was due to better wrestling.

Kos is a far better wrestling. He didn't train wrestling for a year, during which time he fought and lost to GSP the first time. GSP didn't dominate the first fight either. Kos won the first round comfortably. Second time around, Kos's wrestling was clearly better than GSP's, even with one eye. Kos is one of the 5 best wrestlers in all of MMA. GSPs not even in the top 10.

GSP's striking is better than Koschecks, but nobody in their right mind had GSP outstriking Condit. Everyone was predicting another display of takedowns and lay and pray with Greg Jackson telling him not to pass the guard. If GSP can take him down and control him, then Koscheck can certainly do it.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

Condit didnt earn his shot, he was given it because Diaz didnt go to a press confrence. I dont think he should be allowed to wait it out.

Why not put Condit back in with Penn and allow Diaz to make it up to UFC and do press confrences this time and get the fight with GSP he was supposed to?

Im a big Condit fan he is exciting but he is 4th in line for a title shot in my books.

1. Fitch
    2. Diaz/Penn winner
    3. Ellenberger
    4. Condit

Probabally right behing him are Kos and Shields, if Kos is offering to step up to the plate he should have been given the chance, Condit vs Fitch or Kos makes sence to see if he could stand up to GSP's wrestling.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Anfield no way Kos Takedown Percentages on offence or defence are on power with GSP's I think youd find it hard to get anyone here to back you on the Idea that Kos is the better wrestler. Infact I went to that website fightmetric and

GSP TD% : 78%
    GSP TDD : 86%
    GSP TD per 15 min : 4.3

Kos TD% : 54%
    Kos TDD : 56%
    Kos TD per 15 mins : 2.73

On Paper GSP just looks the much better fighter and considering being the champ he has been in with the better opposition its hard to argue that Kos is a better wrestler.

Like I say the Chin thing is splitting hairs, Serra and P.Thiago arent big punchers at all but Serra has twice the amount of KO's, I said it was 2-2 but one of P.Thaigos TKO's was opponent injury. Evidence points to GSP having the better chin if anyone.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Kos is a far better wrestling. He didn't train wrestling for a year, during which time he fought and lost to GSP the first time. GSP didn't dominate the first fight either. Kos won the first round comfortably. Second time around, Kos's wrestling was clearly better than GSP's, even with one eye. Kos is one of the 5 best wrestlers in all of MMA. GSPs not even in the top 10.

GSP's striking is better than Koschecks, but nobody in their right mind had GSP outstriking Condit. Everyone was predicting another display of takedowns and lay and pray with Greg Jackson telling him not to pass the guard. If GSP can take him down and control him, then Koscheck can certainly do it.

I think Jackson will either be coaching Condit or neither of them. Tristar guys will be in GSP's corner probably.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:36 am