THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Sheldan
pinsman
efils_god
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
2brutal
The_Axe_Emperor
p4pnumber_1
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
14 posters

UFC 135 review

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 135 review - Page 2 Empty Re: UFC 135 review

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Fuck me Payne did you really do that by yourself affraid

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:The Greg Jackson effect. Other than Condit, Cerrone and Carwin, it's a gym full of spoilers. Oh and Guillard. He's there too isn't he? He's too stupid to spoil a fight, doesn't understand game plans.

You forgot Jones, Stann, Schaub, and of course Sanchez is always fun to watch. I actually think the whole Greg Jackson boring theory is a bit overrated if im honest.

Same here, I always laughed at the theory personally.

Georges St-Pierre (UFC)
    Jon Jones (UFC)
    Gina Carano (Strikeforce)
    Nate Marquardt (BAMMA)
    Clay Guida (UFC)
    Keith Jardine (Strikeforce)
    Karo Parisyan (UFC)
    David Loiseau (Tachi Palace Fights)
    Joey Villasenor (Shark Fights)
    Jason MacDonald (UFC)
    Julie Kedzie (American Fight League)
    Brian Stann (UFC)
    Carlos Condit (UFC)
    Shane Carwin (UFC)
    Joe Stevenson (UFC)
    Donald Cerrone (UFC)
    Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC)
    Leonard Garcia (UFC)
    Andrei Arlovski (Strikeforce)
    Roger Huerta (Bellator)
    Melvin Guillard (UFC)

Whose boring from that lineup? Guida is one but thats only very recently where strangely he's also started WINNING fight he wouldn't have bêfore, and the other obvious one I can think of is of course GSP who just coincidentally happens to be one of the greatest of all time...
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm

nah I stole the info from elsewhere and just updated it with the last event.

I created the bloody table all by myself though Smile
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:46 am

They should keep Gomi to help boost up the submission stats.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:The Greg Jackson effect. Other than Condit, Cerrone and Carwin, it's a gym full of spoilers. Oh and Guillard. He's there too isn't he? He's too stupid to spoil a fight, doesn't understand game plans.

You forgot Jones, Stann, Schaub, and of course Sanchez is always fun to watch. I actually think the whole Greg Jackson boring theory is a bit overrated if im honest.

I forgot Sanchez had gone back there to be honest. He's a spoiler under Jackson. Look at his last two fights.

I did forget Stann from the Jackson fights. So Stann, Condit, Cerrone, Guillard and Carwin.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Fuck me Payne did you really do that by yourself affraid

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Georges St-Pierre (UFC) - Lay and Pray, slap and sprint, the most boring champion the UFC has seen in a long time.
    Jon Jones (UFC) - Wall and Stall merchant but I suppose if you listen to what the UFC tells you, he's just "super exciting"
    Gina Carano (Strikeforce) - Hasn't fought from there yet
    Nate Marquardt (BAMMA) - Greaser who doesn't train with Jackson anymore and just uses him for strategy
    Clay Guida (UFC) - Boring since moving
    Keith Jardine (Strikeforce) - Boring.
    Karo Parisyan (UFC) - UFC? Seriously?? Have you seen him fight recently?? Boring as fuck! Even if he was exciting it would have nothing to do with Jackson.
    David Loiseau (Tachi Palace Fights) - Crap and just tags along with GSP in case GSP needs someone to carry his bag.
    Joey Villasenor (Shark Fights) - Scraping the barrel much? Established his style elsewhere, not with Jackson long enough to change it.
    Jason MacDonald (UFC) - Boring
    Julie Kedzie (American Fight League) - Never seen her fight
    Brian Stann (UFC) - Not boring
    Carlos Condit (UFC) - Not boring
    Shane Carwin (UFC) - Not boring for 3 minutes. Boring after 3 minutes
    Joe Stevenson (UFC) - YAWN
    Donald Cerrone (UFC) - Not boring
    Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC) - If he had the intelligence to listen to Jackson, he would be boring. Same situation as Smokin' Joe though
    Leonard Garcia (UFC) - Like Guillard, too stupid to fight any other way.
    Andrei Arlovski (Strikeforce) - Are you really trying to use him to back up your argument?? Same situation as Smokin' Joe.
    Roger Huerta (Bellator) - Doesn't train at Jackson's. Hasn't for a while now.
    Melvin Guillard (UFC) - Too stupid to fight any other way.

Whose boring from that lineup? Guida is one but thats only very recently where strangely he's also started WINNING fight he wouldn't have bêfore, and the other obvious one I can think of is of course GSP who just coincidentally happens to be one of the greatest of all time...

Big yawn.
    Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Mannpagejackson Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Nate Marquardt (BAMMA) - Greaser who doesn't train with Jackson anymore and just uses him for strategy
    Karo Parisyan (UFC) - UFC? Seriously?? Have you seen him fight recently?? Boring as fuck! Even if he was exciting it would have nothing to do with Jackson.
    David Loiseau (Tachi Palace Fights) - Crap and just tags along with GSP in case GSP needs someone to carry his bag.
    Joey Villasenor (Shark Fights) - Scraping the barrel much? Established his style elsewhere, not with Jackson long enough to change it.
    Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC) - If he had the intelligence to listen to Jackson, he would be boring. Same situation as Smokin' Joe though
    Andrei Arlovski (Strikeforce) - Are you really trying to use him to back up your argument?? Same situation as Smokin' Joe.

Big yawn.

I know you were trying to prove a point about greg jackson but there are a couple of holes in your arguments.

Georges St-Pierre (UFC) - Lay and Pray, slap and sprint, the most boring champion the UFC has seen in a long time. - george st-pierre has been involved in quite slow fights, but if you dont appreciate gsp, you dont appreciate mma. He changes his style on a fight by fight basis. His ability to change his entire skills set and pick up a win is a testement to him. Why wrestle with koscheck when you can stand at arms length, ask koschecks orbital bone how that went, why stand and brawl with hardy when you can wrestle him into nothing. As well as this, it takes two to fight, y do gsp's oponents not charge him to make the fight a brawl?? cos they know he has the knockout ability if they do, and dont wanna get stopped, a decision hurts alot less than a ko or a sub. If the fact that he finds any way to win isnt exciting when a man has 24 fights, 22 wins 8 by stoppage, 5 by sub and 9 by decision, i think he is exciting and i for one enjoy every gsp fight.
    Jon Jones (UFC) - Wall and Stall merchant but I suppose if you listen to what the UFC tells you, he's just "super exciting" - this is the biggest piece of crap ever, "wall and stall" - there aint much stall in 8 stoppages and 4 submissions in 14 fights. What that means is johnny bones jones finishes the fight, i believe that is a trademark of a damn exciting fighter.
    Shane Carwin (UFC) - Not boring for 3 minutes. Boring after 3 minutes - you counter yourself with this one, if someone is exciting for 3 minuetes of a round and not after, then that aint boring. No to mention all this guys wins have been either stoppage or sub and his only losses came in an unbelievably exciting fight v brock and a decision which was a good fight against A good jds.
    As well as these 3, any fighter where you quote "doesnt know any better" or something similar, is you admitting they are exciting. A stupid fighter is not generally a boring fighter. So now we can say
    Melvin Guillard (UFC)
    Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC)
    Leonard Garcia (UFC) .
    Plus the ones you actually find exciting.
    Brian Stann (UFC)
    Carlos Condit (UFC)
    Donald Cerrone (UFC).

Thats 9. 9 of greg jacksons team that are damn exciting and great fighters to watch, out of the 21 fighters named above, some of which we can say dont train with jackson anymore or havent fought under his gym yet, that stands at all upon 50% of his top level mma fighters that are exciting. Making jacksons gym probably one of the most enjoyable set of fighters camps that there is, there will not be many gyms that 50% of the top fighters there are exciting to watch!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 am

I agree with you guys that the Jackson thing is overdone, but you cannot claim that recently GSP is damn exciting to watch. I appreciate what he does, but honestly it's really boring.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Didn't we have a huge argument about this a while back, with me saying Parysian was boring? Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I can't believe I was stupid enough to put a trump on Rothwell. The man has a great chin but nothing more. Great win for Hunt though.

Jones looked impressive again in a very comfortable win. Won standing and grappling, he truly is developing into a top, top fighter. Should be a good fight with Evans next who will test him, but I can't see him losing.

Sad to see Hughes get KOed, but it was a fairly good performance. Has one or two fights left in him before he should call it a day.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:48 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I can't believe I was stupid enough to put a trump on Rothwell.

Tell me about it!! Mad
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Allright lads was just back from holidays last night and watched the event, Hunt winning was great to see and the sub attempt with Rogan screaming for it was class! Ben Rothwell is a decent fighter too, this really raises Hunts profile I hope they resign him, Pat Barry vs Hunt = Epic

Knew Diaz would get the job done against Gomi, Gomi has swung for the fences every fight in UFC and has a terrible connection rate. He wasnt any different than any other recent fight, he has had his day and Diaz is good enough to be a title contender at 155.

Jones vs Rampage was disapointing, far too few moments with Rampage risking everything and charging at him flinging hayemakers which was probabally his only shot at winning. Jones tried a few flashy techniques its just a pitty most of them didnt come off.

Really disapointing event to watch, But im interested to see Bones vs Evans, I think its too early to think the man can walk on water and Evans is a step up from Rampage or the Shogun he fought.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Knew Diaz would get the job done against Gomi, Gomi has swung for the fences every fight in UFC and has a terrible connection rate. He wasnt any different than any other recent fight, he has had his day and Diaz is good enough to be a title contender at 155.

Gomi really has been awful in the UFC, technique wise. Just goes out swinging and hopes for the best. Only worked out once. I think he might think about calling it a day now.

Diaz is frustratingly inconsistent at both LW and WW. He needs to find a way to deal with wrestlers and strong grapplers better if he is to be successful in a division filled with top wrestlers and grapplers.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Gomi really has been awful in the UFC, technique wise. Just goes out swinging and hopes for the best. Only worked out once. I think he might think about calling it a day now.

Diaz is frustratingly inconsistent at both LW and WW. He needs to find a way to deal with wrestlers and strong grapplers better if he is to be successful in a division filled with top wrestlers and grapplers.

Choked out Guilard and was so close to beating Maynard.. I reckon he gets a title shot, his BJJ is good enough to tap a lot of wrestlers, the boxing BJJ combo without physical strength works for Nick and I think it will work for Nate as his boxing improves.

People might beat them with Wall and stall or dryhumping the odd time but they are never going to be physical enough to match the bigger guys in their devisions by learning them some good ol wrastling.

Diaz beat Guilard who is near a title shot, I reckon he should go after the looser of Maynard vs Edgar and put himself in contention, there are a load of great fights for him with all the Lw strikers matched up, Petis is one id love to see.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:45 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Choked out Guilard and was so close to beating Maynard.. I reckon he gets a title shot, his BJJ is good enough to tap a lot of wrestlers, the boxing BJJ combo without physical strength works for Nick and I think it will work for Nate as his boxing improves.

People might beat them with Wall and stall or dryhumping the odd time but they are never going to be physical enough to match the bigger guys in their devisions by learning them some good ol wrastling.

Diaz beat Guilard who is near a title shot, I reckon he should go after the looser of Maynard vs Edgar and put himself in contention, there are a load of great fights for him with all the Lw strikers matched up, Petis is one id love to see.

Guillards grappling has always been a weak point of his. The Maynard performance was good though. I'm talking more about performances against the likes of Joe Stevenson where he couldn't do much of his back.

Nate still has to prove he can get boxing skills like his brother. If he can, he might begin to cause some serious problems.

Jim Miller might be a good next opponent.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Welcome back Ben! Very Happy how was the holidays mate?

I agree with everything you said on Diaz. Despite the hate for him from alot of people, I actually like him and hope he gets a few wins at lightweight.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Like Chelsea said, I think we'll see Jim Miller VS Nate Diaz next, and i'd back Diaz in that fight.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Jim Miller is a good shout. The problem for Diaz here though is aswell as being a great wrestler, Miller's also an exceptional grappler. Combine them with solid stand-up and this is the perfect type of fighter to beat Nate imo.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Welcome back Ben! Very Happy how was the holidays mate?

I agree with everything you said on Diaz. Despite the hate for him from alot of people, I actually like him and hope he gets a few wins at lightweight.

Was great mate bar near us had a band playing Skynard, acdc, Thin Lizzy etc.. went to a strip bar with the missus and a double rum cost 1.50 at the bars! As well as people were selling white widdow like it was mixed herbs! Perfect wee getaway... even got watching a bit of bulgarian MMA

Yeah Diaz bros get a lot of hate because of their personality, people get set in their ideas about them. I reckon any Wrestler that doesnt have great standup is in danger of getting their head boxed in and any without great sub defense is in danger of getting subbed when Diaz is on the bottom.

Nate is getting more like Nick, that boxing is hugely under rated, Goldie was a knobend talking about the stockton slap. Diaz is just wirey so people assume he doesnt pack a punch but id point out him dropping Gomi a couple of times and the damage Marcus Davis took against him. Skinny doesnt always mean no power, his straights seem hard enough to me.

Im loving the Miller vs Diaz idea. 155 is a total and utter traffic jam, I find it really hard to pick a front runner after the Bendo vs Guida winner but I think Diaz is lucky not to be fighting either of them, both are probabally the 2 most dangerous contenders he could take on.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Nate Diaz really impressed against Gomi. He should stick to 155 though, i thought he beat Maynard so should probably have fought Edgar for title in January.

Diaz's do have big weaknesses in their game though, its silly to assume all wrestlers get subbed if they take them down. Just look at Rory Mcdonald fight he completely shut down Nate and exposed weakness in strength and wrestling. 3 german suplexes!!! he went Chris Benoit on Nate's ass and just toyed with him.

I remember saying that Rory fights alot like GSP and thought Nate-Rory would be similar to GSP-Nick....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Didn't we have a huge argument about this a while back, with me saying Parysian was boring? Laughing

He wasn't then, he is now. Awful decline.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 am

Mannpagejackson wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Big yawn.

I know you were trying to prove a point about greg jackson but there are a couple of holes in your arguments.

Georges St-Pierre (UFC) - Lay and Pray, slap and sprint, the most boring champion the UFC has seen in a long time. - george st-pierre has been involved in quite slow fights, but if you dont appreciate gsp, you dont appreciate mma. He changes his style on a fight by fight basis. His ability to change his entire skills set and pick up a win is a testement to him. Why wrestle with koscheck when you can stand at arms length, ask koschecks orbital bone how that went, why stand and brawl with hardy when you can wrestle him into nothing. As well as this, it takes two to fight, y do gsp's oponents not charge him to make the fight a brawl?? cos they know he has the knockout ability if they do, and dont wanna get stopped, a decision hurts alot less than a ko or a sub. If the fact that he finds any way to win isnt exciting when a man has 24 fights, 22 wins 8 by stoppage, 5 by sub and 9 by decision, i think he is exciting and i for one enjoy every gsp fight.
    Jon Jones (UFC) - Wall and Stall merchant but I suppose if you listen to what the UFC tells you, he's just "super exciting" - this is the biggest piece of crap ever, "wall and stall" - there aint much stall in 8 stoppages and 4 submissions in 14 fights. What that means is johnny bones jones finishes the fight, i believe that is a trademark of a damn exciting fighter.
    Shane Carwin (UFC) - Not boring for 3 minutes. Boring after 3 minutes - you counter yourself with this one, if someone is exciting for 3 minuetes of a round and not after, then that aint boring. No to mention all this guys wins have been either stoppage or sub and his only losses came in an unbelievably exciting fight v brock and a decision which was a good fight against A good jds.
    As well as these 3, any fighter where you quote "doesnt know any better" or something similar, is you admitting they are exciting. A stupid fighter is not generally a boring fighter. So now we can say
    Melvin Guillard (UFC)
    Yoshihiro Akiyama (UFC)
    Leonard Garcia (UFC) .
    Plus the ones you actually find exciting.
    Brian Stann (UFC)
    Carlos Condit (UFC)
    Donald Cerrone (UFC).

Thats 9. 9 of greg jacksons team that are damn exciting and great fighters to watch, out of the 21 fighters named above, some of which we can say dont train with jackson anymore or havent fought under his gym yet, that stands at all upon 50% of his top level mma fighters that are exciting. Making jacksons gym probably one of the most enjoyable set of fighters camps that there is, there will not be many gyms that 50% of the top fighters there are exciting to watch!

No, that's not 9. It's 6, plus 3 minutes of Carwin. Jones and GSP are not exciting to watch. They are safety first spoilers. Jones did little against Rampage other than wall and stall, he did similar to Shogun until he realized that Shogun was at about 10%. He hadn't fought anyone worthwhile before that.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:00 am

Agree about GSP, but totally disagree about Jones.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:23 pm

efils_god wrote:Agree about GSP, but totally disagree about Jones.

Same here. IMO what you said about Jones is completely untrue. He didn't wall n stall against either Quinton or Shogun and I actually think his style is very exciting to watch.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm

He rocked Shogun to his boots within the first 10 seconds of their fight... Blatant stalling if ever I've seen it Rolling Eyes
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:23 pm

No way Bones falls under the category for a staller Rampage just didnt take some of the big shots, there were Wheel Kicks, Jumping headkicks, Spinning elbows etc. during those 4 rounds where he finished Rampage. It wasnt the best Jones fight ive seen but there he mixed up Head, Body and Leg attacts with flashy slying or spinning strikes, didnt get taken down, scored a couple of TD's and finished by Sub.

Pretty well rouned, If one of those crazy headkicks landed there no way youd have even remembered the wall and stall.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 am