THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
superman_punch
Mryzyz
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
Cowboys From Hell
The_Axe_Emperor
p4pnumber_1
ChelseaQuinsfan
2brutal
Sheldan
Anfields5thKing
15 posters

Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th!

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th! Empty Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th!

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/09/brock-lesnar-vs-alistair-overeem-ufc.html

So the fight has been made, the most under-rated HW in the sport right now against the most over-rated fighter in history of the sport. Reem vs Brock. Neither man impressed in their last fight, Reem's yawnfest against Werdum was a lowlight of the year, while Lesnar getting his ass handed to him by Cain Velasquez was a highlight of any year.

Fight is set to be 5 rounds, not sure why. Brock will have jumped up and over the cage and run all the way home after Reem lands his first punch at around the 30 second mark. For those keeping count, that will be 3 fights in a row he will have run away as soon as a fist touches his face.

They should call this Event UFC 141 - Brock's retirement party.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th! Empty Re: Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th!

Post  Sheldan Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Good to see an unbiased report.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th! Empty Re: Dana gives Brock his Xmas present, an epic beating on December 30th!

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 pm

It's not a report, the report is in the link. Mine was merely an announcement.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 pm

lesnar will win imo if he can avoid the big shot
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 pm

This on paper sounds like a great fight but it could be a repeat of the Werdum yawn fest. I reckon Overoids going to keep his arms down for fight to stop Lesnars take downs. Neither guy likes getting hit so it could be down to who strikes first. I'm leaning towards Lesnar, who is possibly the only fighter on earth stronger than Overoid. I hope its a great fight either way.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:27 pm

They are both -115. Easy money in my opinion (Overeem win of course.)

I see this being very like Cain vs Brock, in the sense that if Brock does get him down, Overeem will get straight back up and catch Brock.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 am

Laughing Anfield.

There is an argument for Brock being overrated, of course there is. But there is no doubt about it that he has humongous balls. Aside for Min Soo Can in his first fight, he's taken on;

- Former champion Frank Mir in his UFC debut
    - A respected veteran in Herring (ok this isn't that impressive Razz )
    - HOF'er and champ at the time Couture
    - Mir again
    - Carwin who was destroying everything back then and even destroyed Brock in rd.1
    - Velasquez who was also destroying everyone and hadn't shown ANY weaknesses before this fight
    - Coming off a loss, agreed to fight the new destroyer in JDS until Diverticulitis struck him down
    - And now OVEREEM!

Say what you want about him but Brock has my respect for being willing to step in there against anyone and anything.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 am

If Lesnar didn't mind getting hit in the face I would give him a huge chance In the fight but alas he does mind....I see Lesnar crumbling to the canvas early in the 1st.

Fair play to Ubereem for passing up a Title fight in favour of fighting Lesnar but saying that fighting Lesnar on the end of year show means Huge $$$ and attention so It's no small consolation prize Is It Smile.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

Fair play to Overeem for being confident enough to pass up on a title fight id agree, If Junior beats Cain he just turned down a 235lbs guy who would strike with him for a 275lbs guy who could pin him down... risky move in a way

But Honestly I said it before when the fight was 1st rumored Lesnar is so bad on the feet going in against a K-1 champ he will shoot for the legs from the get go... Reem's 2 biggest weapons are his Guilitine and Knee... perfect counters.

Brock is balls to take this fight as oppose to building himself up again (which I think he should) but I think Overeem is the nightmare match for him and I see a 1st round KO, wouldnt worry about this being a 5 round fight.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 am

This fight is going to be ugly one way or another. If Brock take Overeem down, then he wins. Forget GnP that fact that Overeem has 280lbs on top of him for 4+ minutes is going to wreck him.

And will be interesting to see what Overeem striking is like when there is treath of a takedown. Overeem hasnt fought a wrestler in over 8 years and that was Chuck Liddel lol. There is a clear avoidance of wrestlers in Overeems record. So no one can really say Overeem has good tdd, as its never really been tested. And lets face it he looked really uncomfortable when standing with Werdum who he knew wanted to take him down.

Big unknowns going into this fight, Lesnars health, training. Overeems Cardio, Wrestling. I cant wait though bounce
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Suppose he hasnt fought many Wrestlers but Ironhead is a wrestler and he fought him back in 09. The thing Ironhead and Lesnar have in common is they will both have spent time in hospital after taking an Uberknee.

Seriously though I dont think Lesnar is as strong or as good a Wrestler as he is made out to be.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

In terms of Wrestling Lesnar hasnt really impressed me, theres a difference between being a great amature and being a great MMA wrestler. GSP hasnt any wrestling credentials but he is 10X the Wrestler Brock is in MMA.

The Idea that if Brock scores a TD its game over I dont buy into.

Brock got held against the cage by 220lbs Randy Couture he didnt come out of that fight looking the better wrestler because it was a punch that put Randy down.

Brock couldnt keep 230lbs Cain down at all

Brock couldnt get off his back when Carwin put him down and couldnt take him down till he totally puffed

The Herring fight didnt really matter, Herrings heart and head clearly wasnt in the fight game because he retired 1 fight later, its like Mayhem subbing Saku its 10 years too late to mean anything.

So his 1 time he looked good at Wrestling was hammering Frank Mir into the matt... im not impressed at all.

If this Legendary Wrestling is what he is relying on I dont like his chances, Overeem has more ways to win this fight, Lesnar is going to have to keep him down for 25mins or GnP him out...
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

It's funny how the guys on here who have made it public that they hate Lesnar are the ones who seem certain that he has no chance, funny how that works out.

Despite what weight class he has been in, Reem has beaten 1 top 10 fighter in 5 years, and that was the bore fest against Werdum that many people actually thought Werdum won. Since then, Lesnar lost a 2 on 1 handicap match to Frank Mir and Steve Mazzagatti, then beat Heath Herring who was coming off a win over Kongo and close decision loss to Big Nog, then he beat Couture for the belt, then he destroyed Mir, then he beat Carwin, then he lost to Cain who had run through everybody. Funny how some people are saying that Lesnar's list of victories isn't impressive, but Reem beating the likes of Kazuyuki Fujita and James Thompson apparently makes him the most underrated HW in the world, ok then.

I'd say that it's quite the opposite of him apparently being the most underrated, Reem wins the K1 Grand Prix and then apparently it's the second coming. We saw in the Werdum fight that he might be a top striker, but that means fuck all when he's in there with a guy who wants to take him down. Well done to Reem for being K1 Champion, it was a great achievement, but it's no different to Lesnar being a NCAA Division 1 Wrestler. They both might be top guys in different sports, but that changes when it's a MMA bout, as we have seen with Lesnar struggling to get some guys down, and Reem struggling to do anything with his striking, but the difference being that Lesnar struggled to get down other guys who have wrestling credentials, whereas Reem couldn't use his striking against a Jiu-Jitsu guy. In a fight between a striker and a wreslter, i'd much rather have the wrestling credentials than the striking credentials, and despite what everybody seems to think, if Lesnar hits you on the feet then it's likely that you're going down, as shown in his fights with Mir, Herring and Couture. I'd say that overall, Lesnar has better wrestling and striking combined to Reem's wrestling and striking.

This fight comes down to two things, the condition of both guys, and the gameplans of both guys. Lesnar will be coming off a long lay off, but if rumours are to be believed and he has spent the entire Summer training, then Lesnar should come in good shape. Reem gassed hard in his fight against Werdum, and that was just due to throwing Werdum around a few times, so you have to wonder how he'll do if/when Lesnar gets him down and has his weight on top of him. Lesnar gassed against Cain as well, and that was due to the stupid game plan he had when he ran out throwing flying knees at Cain, so if he has a better gameplan then he shouldn't gas, and that is where the gameplans come in. I assume that Reem will have the same sort of gameplan that he had against Werdum, and keep his hands low to try and defend the takedown, but there are two differences between Werdum and Lesnar, Lesnar will run through you to get the takedown, and he hits miles harder than Werdum, so Reem keeping his hands low may not be the best idea. As for Lesnar, he's obviously stronger on the ground, and if he gets the takedown, I think it will be hard for Reem to get back up. It's a lot more important for Reem to try and keep this fight standing than it is for Lesnar to try and get it to the ground.

If Reem comes in with the gameplan he had against Werdum, I give the edge to Lesnar, if Lesnar comes in with the gameplan he had against Velasquez, I give the edge to Reem. It's a close fight to call, but I have to go with Lesnar.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm

First of all Lesnar deserves a lot of respect for taking this fight.

I see this fight being spent largely with both fighters clinched up against the cage. I don't see him taking REEM down unless REEM makes a mistake. However I don't see REEM tossing Lesnar aside like he did to Werdum, hence fence hugging is the logical outcome. REEM has gas for two rounds and I don't think anyone in the world can take an un-gassed REEM down, apart from maybe Cain or Barnett. (TBH I don't think they could either)
    It is very unlikely that REEM won't land a solid shot before he gasses at about the end of round two. And one solid shot is all it will take.

Another factor is... does Lesnar go into panic spasms from getting hit in the face or just getting hurt in general?
    REEM will have a lot of opportunities to use the ÜBERKNEE and test that out. Although he'll have to be careful Lesnar doesn't catch one, or that could be the mistake that leads to a TD.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

An uberknee up against the cage on Brocks recently operated on abdomen sounds like the beginning of the end for me. He's got balls taking the fight coming off the surgery he's had.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Brock will probably make upwards of $2 million for this fight so he doesnt deserve any special respect for fighting anothr fighter in the same division of the same organisation.

I agree with ben, Lesnar's wrestling is not very impressive. Herring, Carwin, Randy, Cain all stuffed takedown attempts he made.

I cant see Brock winning this, after the Cain fight.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:12 pm

FUCK YEAH Overeem in the UFC!!!

I hope he smashes Lesnar, and ends this silly romance everyone has with him. Although its a MASSIVE first test for the big man!
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Get the drug tests ready.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm

I see this going only one way. Lesnar to charge Overoid, Overoid to tag Lesnar, Lesnar to turtle and Overoid to win. Lesnar to retire.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Sheldan wrote: Well done to Reem for being K1 Champion, it was a great achievement, but it's no different to Lesnar being a NCAA Division 1 Wrestler.

It's actually very different for a number of reasons. But then, it wouldn't fit whatever point you were attempting to make to tell the truth.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm

My heads saying Reem,but there is no way I'm counting Lesner out.

I think Alistair has to be the most experianced guy in MMA,who has so many question marks against him.

We haven't seen Reem have to defend takedowns against a high level wrestler,and really we have only seen Reem tested a couple of times at HW,with the last one being a shocking performance,that answered nor proved anything about how good he is.
    I think he has the capability to blow anyone out of the water within the first couple of minutes,if he's allowed to unload,but I still think that if Reem gets pushed hard for a rd,he'll gass out,so who knows brock could bully him against the cage,get the takedown and ride him to exhaustion,like he did when he was controlling herring,but we are talking about unknowns with Alistair,what we do know about Lesner is that he freaks out when hit by guys with power and Reem has a ton of that in his striking game.

That's why I think you have to lean towards the Reem taking this one
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:02 pm

everyones talking about overeem gassing, I dont think Lesnar would have much of a tank to be fair. To carry his body around is hard work. Lesnar is not guna wanna clinch with Overeem incase of getting tagged with the knee. Lesnars only chance is on the ground but Overeem is SUPER strong and pushes most heavy weights around as if they are nothing. Overeem win for me then he'll fight Cain for the title!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 am

I reckon Lesnar has the strength advantage. I certainly don't expect Reem to brush him off like he did to Werdum. Lesnar struggled with some takedowns against other experienced wrestlers. Iron head was 5 years past his best when he fought Overoid, that fight proves nothing apart from the fact that he has a terrifying knee. Reem won a K-1 championship in a tournament where two of the top fighters weren't involved. Winning at all is still impressive, and there's no doubt he is one of the best stand up fighters in the sport. However we saw how much of his offense he lost against Werdum because his lands were kept low. He's going to have to do the same against Lesnar. If Lesnar really struggles to get Reem down, he'll push him against the cage and that will tire Reem down considerably. It suddenly become a lot easier after that.

Ahh doesn't matter, who ever wins is getting Knocked out by Dos Santos anyway Very Happy
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

chelsea jds isnt getting anywhere near brock or lesnar cain is going to make him look like a little girl
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:41 am

2brutal wrote:chelsea jds isnt getting anywhere near brock or lesnar cain is going to make him look like a little girl

Cain got rocked to his boots a couple of times by Kongo, JDS has better TDD and better hands. Dont believe the hype, Cain is getting stretchered outta there against Junior Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:10 am