THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
pinsman
2brutal
Anfields5thKing
Cowboys From Hell
rudeboyben84
sunthunder
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
Ginginho
13 posters

Rumour: Sonnen vs Machida "all but a done deal"

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Rumour: Sonnen vs Machida "all but a done deal" - Page 2 Empty Re: Rumour: Sonnen vs Machida "all but a done deal"

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:53 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I personally think Silva's striking is better than Machida's and from what I've seen more dangerous of his back with those long legs but there is a key difference. Machida is a lot more conservative in his approach and his miles ahead of Silva in terms of take down defense. Look at whats happened to the wrestlers who have faced Machida. Couture, Evans, Ortiz all got fucked by Machida. I think Sonnen would be goaded in to try and stand with Machida for a while as well. No one has ever been able to take Machida down and Machida has better takedown defense than anyone Sonnen has ever faced. I don't know how good Machida's judo is, but I can't imagine it being much worse than Maia's who threw Sonnen around like a sack of potatoes.

Jones would destroy Sonnen IMO. He has a big size difference and a ridiculous strength one. This is the same man who threw the likes of Hammil, Bonnar and the Janitor around with comical ease. Remember the Maia judo throw on Sonnen? Imagine what Bones would do. These criticisms of his opponents don't make sense. You fight who's put in front of you. The Bader comparison is irrelevant. I can use the same thing with nearly any other fighter. Fedor beat Sylvia in 36 seconds. Ray Mercer beat him 9. It doesn't take away from Fedor's win though.

Rampage took Machida down, Randy and Rashad didnt even try to take him down. And Randy is nearly 50 yrs old and Rashad came in with retarded tactic of not using his wrestling. So bascially all we have is Tito then.....

I forgot about 5 round main events, that would certainly favour Machida.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Rumour: Sonnen vs Machida "all but a done deal" - Page 2 Empty Re: Rumour: Sonnen vs Machida "all but a done deal"

Post  2brutal Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Anfield So at the start of anyones career you can not state they are a special talent or will beat people ? Not his fault shogun was on the Diego Sanchez eat pies diet, I just see him being too good, time will till, don't get me wrong still have 2 ? Marks re bones, can he take. Big shot and will he gas if pushed hard and long,

Rekon silva wins and fights sonnen do not see this fight happening
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 pm

A fight between one time middleweight challenger Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) and former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is not happening.

Sources close to the promotion today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fight was briefly entertained but did not become a reality after being heavily rumored for the fall, possibly at UFC 136.

Both fighters currently are awaiting their next bookings, the sources said.

Sonnen was freed to fight exactly one week ago after serving a suspension handed down this past May by the California State Athletic Commission. The commission issued an indefinite suspension after determining that the fighter had given inconsistent statements about his testosterone-replacement therapy this past December in an appeal of a one-year suspension issued in the wake of his UFC 117 loss to Anderson Silva (which was later halved to six months). The commission also cited his conviction earlier this year on one felony charge of money laundering when handing down the suspension.

According to CSAC Executive Director George Dodd, Sonnen must appear before the commission if he wants to be licensed again. If he chooses to do so, the commission is likely to ask him to show rehabilitation from his previous misdeeds.

Machida, meanwhile, is two months removed from a triumphant win over Randy Couture at UFC 129. In a highlight-reel performance, he stopped Couture with a leaping front kick that knocked the UFC Hall of Famer silly (and dislodged a few of Couture's teeth).

It was the second such kick seen in the octagon since Machida teammate Anderson Silva, the UFC's reigning middleweight champion, knocked out Vitor Belfort with the strike at UFC 126. Like Silva, Machida thanked aging martial-arts movie star Steven Seagal for his tutelage on the technique, which earned him a "Knockout of the Night" bonus at the gate-buster event.

The win also reversed a slide for Machida following losses to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua – which robbed him of his title – and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Bones Chin and Stamina have been tested a bit before, If you watch the Gusamo fight Bones really slows in the 3rd, Gusamo does as well but thats because he was absorbing more punishment! Laughing He gets tagged in an exchange and ducks his head and clintches but thats more reatcion to a punch than being rocked by it.

In the Bonnar fight he gassed bad at the end, and again didnt really look hurt by strikes but ducked his head and clinched to avoid an exchange. It was high paced 3 round fight allright so its not a bad thing but 5 round fights might stop him being so flashy against someone who can hang with him to the late rounds.

Im not sure his stamina is going to hold up in the 4th and 5th, I think Chael has a better chance to beat him than nearly any 205er out there, Jake O'brien landed punches well on the feet against Jones and he was at least holding his own on the feet. Good front footed Boxing with Wrestling enough to stop yourself being taken down and maby catching kicks into TD's is what I can see Sonnen doing....

I would call Hendo as a dangerous opponent for him but Hendos footwork and handspeed wouldnt close the distance like Chaels could.

I think Bones will dominate Rampage, but as Crazy as it sounds if Titos boxing has come on and the KO over Bader wasnt a one off punch he might do well against Bones. Near impossible to KO with that big head, Strong enough to put Bones into the cage at will... If Tito is still at the Wildcard Gym he might end up a threat... Weird to think but IMO a Hard headed Wrestler with good hands and Cardio will beat Bones.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Just read that UFC are going a different direction and Machida vs Sonnen has been scrapped, was on MMAbay linked from MMAjunkie... hmmm

I wonder what they are doing with the 2 of them, That was a real superfight.

I reckon they are keeping them in seperate devisions if this is true.

Sonnen vs Stann would be good at 185. Number 1 contenders fight, Its fast trackin Stann a bit but they are two realy popular fighters and either man getting a win would make them the most credible number 1 contender. Leben can fight the winner of Belfort is he beat Akiyama. Munoz can fight Bisping/Mayhem winner. Devision sorted! Laughing

For Machida has a long wait to get another good ranked Lhw, All are Tied up. I couldnt even think who they can offer him if he wants to fight by 136...
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Just read that UFC are going a different direction and Machida vs Sonnen has been scrapped, was on MMAbay linked from MMAjunkie... hmmm

Ben I posted the article on this thread a few posts back Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Shit sorry I missed that mate... What else can they do with Machida? I hope its wrong Sad
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Shit sorry I missed that mate... What else can they do with Machida? I hope its wrong Sad

Not a clue mate, there isn't really anybody out there for Machida at the minute, be interesting to see who he gets.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 am

I did a happy dance when I heard Sonnen was beating up Stann instead of fighting Machida!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:34 pm