THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
2brutal
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
7 posters

MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY Empty MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY

Post  Sheldan Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm

One-time UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt will not be making his welterweight debut this weekend.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Marquardt is a late scratch from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, and opponent Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will now instead meet Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) on the evening's main card.

With the late change, a highly-anticipated heavyweight bout between Pat Barry and Cheick Kongo has now been promoted to main-event status.

The reason for Marquardt's last-minute withdrawal, mere hours before he was scheduled to hit the scales at the event's official weigh-ins, wasn't immediately evident. However, Marquardt's camp did release a statement insisting the setback was temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds.

"Nate is really disappointed," the statement read. "He really was looking forward to making his welterweight debut, and he plans to be back in there as soon as possible."

UFC on Versus 4 takes place Sunday at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh

Story is Brenneman's third opponent for UFC on Versus 4. His original opponent, Matt Riddle, withdrew from the card in May, while replacement foe T.J. Grant fell ill earlier this week and was also forced to withdraw from the card.

A Pennsylvania native, Brenneman looks to build on a January decision win over Amilcar Alves. The victory came after a TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 117 that snapped a six-fight win streak for "The Spaniard."

Story was also a replacement, stepping in on short notice for an injured Anthony Johnson, who was originally scheduled to face Marquardt in the evening's featured bout. Story, who is riding a six-fight octagon winning streak, recently notched the biggest win of his career with a UFC 130 victory over Thiago Alves.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY Empty Re: MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:03 pm

and I thought this card couldn't have gotten any weaker....
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY Empty Re: MARQUARDT OUT OF FIGHT WITH RICK STORY

Post  2brutal Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Ta sheldan enjoy your holiday wot a joke this is
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Probably near killed himself bacause of weight cut.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Of for fucks sake, what a pain in the ass this is. Could they really not find anyone better than Brenneman? Amir Sadollah, Ebersole, Lytle, Serra, Koscheck, some one from the recent season of TUF? That's quite disappointing, I wonder if Nate had problems with the cut.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:10 pm

I agree mate all this shite about I can make the weight no issue I work around at this and that wot a dick its the fans who bought tickets I feel bad for

I cudnt decide a winner anyway

I'll be backing against him next time bum
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 pm

Chelsea none of them wud of been able to make weight 1day notice

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 pm

At this late notice, it is a miracle they found any replacement.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I am FAR more excited for the prelims than the main card!!

That's a true point about the people that bought tickets for this... honestly if it was me I would try and sell my ticket!! This card is a shambles
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Brenneman's not really a great replacement but he was really the only fighter that could step in for this fight,since he had already been training to fight TJ grant on this card.

I'll just scrap the main event in the predictions.

Nobody has used there Trump on the Kongo vs barry fight,so that is now the main event in the prediction league aswell.

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Do you think the UFC told Brennemen to keep his weight down incase Marquardt didn't make the weight?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 pm

they are saying nate failed his pre fight medical.

“He was not medically cleared. It is nothing serious,” said Kelly Crigger, a representative of Marquardt’s management team at Alchemist Mixed Martial Arts. Crigger could not go into any further detail than that until Alchemist releases an official statement, which is expected shortly.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Your all right about them not being able to make weight, but I still think someone like Howard would have been a better replacement. It might not have been fair on Howard though and if he lost he could lose his job as well.

I do feel sorry for Story, it's a no win situation for him. If he wins, no one care if he loses then that's his title aspirations fucked.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:05 pm

SHIT! Dana just posted a video to his twitter saying Nate Marquardt has been released!

http://bit.ly/l3GTU8
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Good riddance !!! This is great news for fans, and for Mr. Lombard who can now actually fight someone legit.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:36 pm

There has to be more to this story
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:55 am

Good riddance to Nate the cheat

Glad the UFC cut him no slack - will be interesting to hear what he failed on!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:04 pm