THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
2brutal
payneNglory1
Mryzyz
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
9 posters

Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix Empty Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:31 pm

I think its a great Idea, He is bitching and moaning about fighting Sahne Roller next and I reckon fair enough, He came off a cracking win over Dunham and has only lost once in his last 8 fights with wins over Dunham, Stevens, Siver and Tibau so I guess he feels hard done by.

He described the top of the devision as a traffic jam and thinks a GP is the best way to solve it. I agree. The fighters that Id consider top of the devision apart from Edgar and Maynard who fight next. I suppose Miller gets next shot so I wouldnt include him, id say fair enough to him walking into the next shot.

So if it was an 8 man tournament id go for....

Melvin Guilard vs George Sot.
    Dennis Siver vs Gleison Tibau
    Nate Diaz vs Takanori Gomi (fight already made)
    Clay Guida vs Ben Henderson

16 man id add

Pearson vs Barboza (fight already made)
    Sam Stout vs Anthony Petis
    Gleison Tibau vs Jeremy Stevens
    Sean Sherk vs Donnald Cerrone

There you go a really exciting tournament and it would only envolve cancelling a could of fights. There is a wealth of tallent at Lw and as SF shows a tournament really gets the fans interest.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix Empty Re: Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Your lineup looks great ben.
    tournaments/GPs are an awesome idea...really the foundations which the sport of MMA is built upon, and UFC need to bring them back.

I cant imagine anyone being against them!

..but then again Payne posts here.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix Empty Re: Guillard calling for a 155lbs grand prix

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Haha I cant imagine Payne not liking a tournament if it was done on different cards like the SF set up. It really is a traffic jam in there, none of them really stick out as contenders to me but the winner of a tournament with so maby top guys would put at least 2 big name wins on someones record and easily justify a shot...

In the meantime UFC should pull their fingers out of their arses and sort out Melendez coming over and punching holes in the Edgar vs Maynard winner.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:15 pm

They should send some guys over to Strikeforce and have the GP there with Aoki, Masvidal et al, with the winner fighting the UFC champion.

Like the situation with the HWGP now.

That should be what Zuffa use Strikeforce for.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Cheeky bastard

I love Tourneys like the way bellator and strikeforce have them,I just think one day tourneys should stay in the amateurs and in circus tents(or basicly JMMA Razz )

No place for them in professional sports.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Ben how come tibau fights twice Shocked

It's a great idea solid line up it is the most stacked div for me

Strikeforce included would be fine

I'm with pain 1 nighters aren't coming bk
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Is there a reason why Jim Miller hasn't been mentioned?

Also, Tibau twice? I'd have Wiman in there, as I think he'll beat Siver next week. or Evan Dunham?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:58 pm

p4pnumber1

He thinks Jim Miller should get the next shot after Maynard so there's no point in having him in the tournament. I think Wiman might get an ass kicking against Siver, it's a huge step up in competition and IMO he is outmatched standing and on the ground.

I really like the idea, it could be a lot of fun but I'd do it a little differently.

I'd keep Miller vs Bendo on and I'd have Guida fight Siver.

So we'd have:

Melvin Guilard vs George Sot.
    Dennis Siver vs Clay Guida
    Nate Diaz vs Takanori Gomi
    Jim Miller vs Ben Henderson

Pearson vs Barboza (fight already made)
    Sam Stout vs Anthony Petis
    Gleison Tibau vs Jeremy Stevens
    Sean Sherk vs Donnald Cerrone

Although I'd maybe swap Henderson with Stephens, so the higher level fighters stay on throughout the tournament. The format above gives 37 year old Sherk a good chance of reaching the final. I reckon at this stage he could beat Cerrone, both Tibau and Stephens and then I reckon he could beat Stout, Pettis, Pearson and BArboza.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:16 pm

forgetting who's already matched up

I'd like to see Nate take on Georgie Sot and Gomi vs Guilard.

Miller vs Benson would be a good fight.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 am

Tourny in one night are a joke and shouldn't be considered the way MMA is evolving - however I would love to see this GP pan out over consecutive UFC events.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 am

Paddyjock wrote:Tourny in one night are a joke and shouldn't be considered the way MMA is evolving - however I would love to see this GP pan out over consecutive UFC events.

why are one night tournaments a joke?

much more exciting when the fighters dont have 8 weeks to calculate a gameplan to make the fight as boring as they can.

I realise that an individual fight within a one night tournament setting might not be "fair" given what may/may not have happened earlier that night, but its not about individual fights, its about the whole tournament.

As long as the fighters are willing to do it - and they are - there should be no problem....because they are much more fun cheers
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:40 am

You cant justify the safety of fighters fighting multiple fights in one night - MMA is evolving as a sport and safety has to be paramount in every fight. I'd hate to see guys holding back because they know they have to fight again that night - just not something I want to see in the sport. Also hate seeing guys winning and then having to withdraw due to injury - make a mockery of the format.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:47 am

i wonder why people would prefer MMA to become like boxing, rather than following the format that every other martial arts competition in the world adheres to.

- in fact even boxing has one night tournaments, with the prizefighter.

I dont know why fighting more than once in a night is that much more dangerous...for example if there are 3 fights: 2rds, 2rds, 3rds

thats a maximum of 7 rounds...
    boxers go 12 rounds and nobody bats an eyelid, i just posted a link to the K1 -63kg japan GP, in these tournaments guys can fight 3 fights..9 rounds and nobody bats an eyelid.

10 minute fight, hour rest, 10 minute fight, hour rest, 15 minute fight...is it that bad?
    ...anyways like i said, in terms of safety if the fighters are happy to do it its fine by me.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:51 am

Matter of opinion mate - I hate the prize fighter tournament

The fighters get paid and unfortunately if you aren't a top guy then then you need to fight to get paid - I fear it puts them in danger
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 am

MMA was built on one night tournaments and there's no reason why they couldn't have one now..........other than the fighters being a bunch of whiny little bitches.

One night tournament with

Dan Severn
    Don Frye
    Tank Abbott
    Steven Seagal
    John Claude Van Damme
    Wesley Snipes
    Michael Jai White
    and
    Chuck Norris

would show these young fairies what fighting really is!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:32 pm