THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
ChelseaQuinsfan
p4pnumber_1
6 posters

UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division Empty UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 am

UFC president Dana White today confirmed that the organization is moving forward on its plan to add a 125-pound flyweight division to its existing seven weight classes.

White said it could come "like, really soon," possibly by year's end.

White and other officials have hinted at the weight class over the past few years, first with the since-folded WEC and then with the UFC. Talk of the division really heated up in 2010, when the UFC adopted the WEC's featherweight (145-pound) and bantamweight (135-pound) divisions, but fizzled until recently.

While the organization already has been talking to flyweight fighters about contracts, White said it'll take time to truly build the division and crown a champion.

"We have to get out there; we have to create the division," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at today's pre-UFC 131 press conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. "We bring the guys in, sign them and start putting on fights. You figure out who the best is, and you have a title fight."

In fact, while the executive traditionally shies away from tournaments, he said a grand-prix format could be used to determine the UFC's first-ever flyweight champion.

"Maybe," he said. "There's a lot of options we could do."

Currently, a host of Japanese organizations and the California-based Tachi Palace Fights have had a stronghold on the world's top 125-pounders. But with the UFC offering unrivaled paydays and exposure, many of those fighters certainly could be wooed to the octagon.

Additionally, some of the sport's top flyweights could come from the existing UFC roster. While they've discussed their satisfaction with fighting at bantamweight, smaller 135-pounders such as Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson could make for intriguing options for the new weight class.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division Empty Re: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 am

Cool, I wonder if they are going to have a tournament to crown the first champion. I don't know many 125ers so I don't know who's on top but if they had an 8 man tournament like SF have, it could be very interesting. It will get people watching straight away.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division Empty Re: UFC adding 125-pound flyweight division

Post  efils_god Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 am

I'm also not too clued in on this division, but htere are definately people who could make the cut and be instantly in a title picture. The obvious ones being for me Benavidez, and maybe Mighty mouse.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not too sure about an 8-man tournament, as that would probably rule out all the contenders.

But i can definitely see a 4-man tournament happening, with the likes of Benavidez and Mighty Mouse involved.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 pm

i didnt think it was possible men weighed as little as that lol.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm pretty clueless really when it comes to 125lb fighters,I've only heard of a handful of them,but I am looking forward to watching and learning when this actually happens.

I'll can't be much help for you,when your 125 rankings come out Ben,but I had a quick search for 125lb fighters and I found this list of a load of them,which might give everyone an Idea who to watch out for and to give you an idea how the fighters actually stack up in this division.

http://sites.google.com/site/mixedmartialartsrankings/home/world-flyweight-rankings-115-125lbs
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I'm pretty clueless really when it comes to 125lb fighters,I've only heard of a handful of them,but I am looking forward to watching and learning when this actually happens.

I'll can't be much help for you,when your 125 rankings come out Ben,but I had a quick search for 125lb fighters and I found this list of a load of them,which might give everyone an Idea who to watch out for and to give you an idea how the fighters actually stack up in this division.

http://sites.google.com/site/mixedmartialartsrankings/home/world-flyweight-rankings-115-125lbs

Cool cheers for that mate, another weight class is going to make the rankings a pain in the balls though! Laughing

Look forward to seeing them fight, A lot of epic fights happen at the lower weight and you get to see more crazy shit like jumping kicks etc.. look forward to seeing what little tiny men under 9 stone can do!

Post  Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:39 am

125 pounds lol i aint know ufc was gonna let kids fight lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:24 pm