THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
Cowboys From Hell
Anfields5thKing
Sheldan
9 posters

Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132 Empty Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132

Post  Sheldan Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 am

It has been announced that Wanderlei Silva will return to the octagon at UFC 132 against Chris Leben, assumingly replacing the Penn-Fitch co-main event that would have took place.

HUGE dissapointment, I know Wanderlei VS Leben will be one hell of a match, but I just so badly wanted to see Vitor VS Wanderlei, the build up and the history would be great, and while I hate to say it, I just feel that Wanderlei has ducked Vitor here, as it has been made clear by Belfort and Dana White that Wanderlei VS Belfort was the fight they wanted, but Wanderlei obviously wanted no part of it.

It will still be one hell of a match though, i've got Wanderlei stopping Leben late in the second, although one big shot and it could go either way. Also kind of dissapointed we're not going to see the rumoured bout between Penn and Condit, I wonder whether they will just hold out for Fitch to heal up and book Penn V Fitch 2 somewhere down the line.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132 Empty Re: Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 am

Smart move by Wandi. Would have been stupid to fight Vitor on the back of such a long layoff. It's a dangerous fight though, one Leben could win if he lands that left hand. Here's hoping Pride Wandi turns up and destroys him rather than the Wandi who fought Bisping.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132 Empty Re: Wanderlei Silva VS Chris Leben Announced For UFC 132

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 am

I feel Wand has a far better chance against Leben I just don't see how he beats Vitor saying that I have a horrible feeling Wand I might get knocked out in this fight Sad .
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Leben is still top 25 in the world and top 15 in UFC acording to fightmatrix. So despuite loosing to Stann he is a tough opponent, The guy Subbed Akiyama, KO'd Santiago, KO'd Swick, Beat Sakara, Cote etc.. he isnt to be taken lightly because he is HARD to KO and he hits really hard. In a toe to toe fight he is one of the best, but I dont see him beating Wanderlei at his own game.

Sheldan I think its harsh to say Wanderlei ducked Belfort, it was him who called for a fight with Belfort and in his latest interview before this Belfort and Marquardt were the two he names that he wanted to fight.

You have to remember he is coming off a long layoff (over a year) and he hasnt been active since 06 he has fought at most twice a year... You gotta ease him back into competition and his coaches didnt want him thrown straight into a fight with a guy coming off a title shot. He diserves an easier fight for a comeback fight because as we saw with Shogun long layoffs can really hurt.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 pm

wand via knees Twisted Evil
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:wand via knees Twisted Evil

Hopefully so mate, Leben being one of the shortest opponents he has fought in a while and having the biggest head (Even bigger than Rampage) is hopefully an easy target for them! Laughing

I miss Wandy mauling people with knees.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm

good matchup im hoping for a real slug fest.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Good fun fight, before the Stann matchup i would have HATED this fight because Leben is just Wanderlei but with a chin, but since Stann f-ed him up i expect/hope Wanderlei to do the same.

Think this fight could go similar to Wanderlei- Jardine.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Dana on the fight

"Wanderlei accepeted the fight with Vitor," White said. "I know a lot of people are out there saying he ducked and all this other stuff, Wanderlei accepted the fight. Wanderlei has been a good guy and he's a guy I respect and like very much. The bottom line is people don't tell us who they are going to fight and they don't go on Twitter campaigns and do all this other stuff. I let Wanderlei know that. Wanderlei told me 'I'll fight Vitor, I'll take the fight. Let's do it.' I gave him what he wanted, I gave him Chris Leben.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 am

I agree with Anfield on this one, Belfort would have been a very tough fight after such a long layoff. I'd love a Jardine like KO by Wandy, but I reckon he'll be able to outstrike Leben in route to a pretty close decision.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Dana on the fight

"Wanderlei accepeted the fight with Vitor," White said. "I know a lot of people are out there saying he ducked and all this other stuff, Wanderlei accepted the fight. Wanderlei has been a good guy and he's a guy I respect and like very much. The bottom line is people don't tell us who they are going to fight and they don't go on Twitter campaigns and do all this other stuff. I let Wanderlei know that. Wanderlei told me 'I'll fight Vitor, I'll take the fight. Let's do it.' I gave him what he wanted, I gave him Chris Leben.

Is it just me or is this statement totally wierd and contradictory.

He says he wanted wandy to fight Vitor, then says both agreed to fight, and that no fighter can 'choose' who they fight. The he gives Wandy Leben anyway, and says 'I gave him what he wanted'.....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:24 pm