THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
6 posters

Lyoto Machida interview

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Lyoto Machida interview  Empty Lyoto Machida interview

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Machida talks Ortiz, Shogun and Rampage:

On Coming To The UFC: "I did think when I came in that I deserved a higher profile," Machida admits. "Instead, they chose for me a slow path, step by step. But anything that happens to me, I try to see the positive side. If the opportunity presents itself as a longer road, no problem – I'll learn more. I'll gain more experience. I've always looked at it that way; I could still gain something from the situation."

On Fighting Tito Ortiz: "Tito is super famous in the U.S.," Machida said. "He has a lot of fans. I was in the middle of that fight between [Ortiz and the UFC], and I didn't even know why. I was there to defend my job, my spot in the company, but I was embroiled in their conflict regardless. In the middle of the fight, the fans were chanting 'Tito! Tito!' so loudly, I could no longer hear my own corner. That kind of pressure affected me without a doubt."

On The First Fight With Shogun: "[Rua] studied me a lot, and I felt he came to that fight to win by points, not to go for a finish," Machida said. "I felt I won most of the rounds. He might claim the same. We each have our point of view. I landed more power shots than he did, with the intent to finish. Everyone is human. Fighters win or lose; it's part of the game. But when a myth is created, the same people who create that myth choose to knock it down. It's happened throughout history. So I think the same sort of thing happened to me regarding the 'Machida Era' or being untouchable. No one is untouchable. When you reach the top, there's a target on your back. Everyone is studying you and gunning for you."

On Their Rematch: "For our second fight, I studied Shogun extensively," Machida said. "I managed to block his kicks, knock him down. I landed knees. But a fight is a fight. When you're in it, anything can happen. If you watch the replay of the end of the fight, he started his strike earlier, but I arrived first since I went in a straight line. I missed since he lowered his head, and his punch came over the top. Shogun even went toward the wrong side – he went toward the punch. I don't think it was something he specifically studied. All credit to him, but that's the sort of thing that happens in a fight."

On Fighting Rampage: "'Rampage' is very experienced, a tough guy, and has had great fights," Machida said. "I think it will be a great battle. It's a different type of pressure," Machida said. "It's not external. It comes from the inside. I'm the one who wants it. It's different than when one is the champion. We'll keep working hard to try and please the fans," Machida said. "On my next fight I'll give my best and it will be the 'Return of the Dragon.'"

Interesting interview I think. I agree with most of what he has said except that Shogun was fighting for points in there first fight.

I also think the UFC planned to throw him straight into the limelight, he was meant to fight Griffin in his second fight but injuries meant that fight never happened.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Lyoto Machida interview  Empty Re: Lyoto Machida interview

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:00 pm

How on earth can you disagree that Shogun was trying to win on points in the first fight??
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Did you see some of the shots Shogun landed? He was looking for the KO, he was definitively being very cautious in the fight which is the smart thing to do, and his style was very methodological, but he was looking to finish IMO.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Shogun never landed any big shots in the first fight! Machida landed all the power shots. Shogun was trying to legkick his way to victory and he got beat.

methodological is not the word you're looking for there by the way! Methodical is. Cool
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Ah here we go again. Rolling Eyes
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:10 pm

i think the first fight was too close to call and machida got the desision as a number of fighters failed to even defend the title once. im not sure how the rampage fight will pan out.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Shogun never landed any big shots in the first fight! Machida landed all the power shots. Shogun was trying to legkick his way to victory and he got beat.

methodological is not the word you're looking for there by the way! Methodical is. Cool

Embarassed So embarrassed being an A-Level English student not 3 months ago.

I agree Machida landed the bigger shots, but Shogun did land some powerful shots as well, and he did some decent damage. He did land a lot of leg kicks but I think he was trying to cancel out Machida's speed so he can put him away.

I never thought Shogun was robbed btw,I thought it was an extremely close fight that could have gone either way. I thought Shogun won it at first, but I had no idea who the judges would give it to by the end of the fight.

I think Machida will easily beat Rampage if he avoids his big punches. Rampage is far too slow for Machida, especially training with Wolfslair.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:

lol! "Methodological"!!!! That is brilliant!!!!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Dont think it will be as easy a fight as most people seem to think, its still unknown how Machida will react from his devastating KO loss at 113, and also i would expect a much better Rampage than the one that showed up at 114.

However the longer this fight goes the more it will favour Machida, I think Rampage's only chance is too catch Machida in the 1st round. Rmpage will tire and slow down the further the fight goes on, and thats when Machida could have it easy, but it will be tense the first few minutes or so.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:11 pm