THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
ChelseaQuinsfan
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
manschesthair_utd
8 posters

WEC 51 videos

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

WEC 51 videos Empty WEC 51 videos

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

WEC 51 videos Empty Re: WEC 51 videos

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Cannot view Megavideo at work, anyone got any other links?

Cheers
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Absolutely great night of fights,Bellator was good and WEC was great.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm

World Extreme Cagefighting awarded $10,000 bonus checks for in-cage performances at WEC 51 in front of 5,100 spectators at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colorado.

The bonus money recipients were Miguel Torres, George Roop, Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner.

Submission of the Night went to former WEC bantamweight titleholder Miguel Torres for his second round rear naked choke submission of Charlie Valencia.

Knockout of the Night was awarded to George Roop for his highlight reel knockout of “The Korean Zombie,” Chan Sung Jung, by high kick.

Donald Cerrone and Jamie Varner went to war in the main event earning Fight of the Night honors. Cerrone defeated Varner by unanimous decision in the rematch, settling the score with former champion.

Total bonus money awarded at WEC 51 was $40,000.

All really worthy winners

Miguel Torres looked like he was back to his best,with some great stand up and a lovely controlled finish,once he had his back,the choke was inevitable.

WOW what can you say about Roops KO,It's not surprising that the Korean Zombie will get Ko'd every now and again,with his low hands,lets throw down kind of style,but i wasn't expecting Roop to be the one to do it really.
    Very good performance from Roop and not just a great KO,since I thought he won the first rd aswell,but shit,that kick was something a prime cro-cop would of been proud of,Zombie was snoring before his back hit the canvas.

Varner v cerrone was a bad intentions war from the opening bell,with cerrone looking the guy with worse intentions,great fight from start to finish,both ate some big shots,but overall cerrone was the one pushing the action and landing the more meaningfull menacing shots,he even took Varner (the wrestler)down a few times,while varner didn't look anywhere close to taking Cerrone down.
    A thouroughly deserved UD 30-27 decision,but varner still played his part in making it a great fight.
    there was nearly abit of handbags at the final bell,but it lead to nothing.

Hominick v Garcia was another really good fight,I thought the S/D was wrong,but atleast the correct winner got the decision.
    Garcia threw more punches and every single one of them,had the intentions of taking hominick out,but Hominicks boxing and defence was great,he blocked most of garcias bombs and just basicly picked garcia apart with jabs and straight punches all fight,while Garcia,like normal gave it everything untill his gas tank emptied and he was just running on pure heart for the last round.
    I gave garcia the first rd and Hominick the 2nd and 3rd.

Zhang did a good job on Garza and did a good job sinking in the finish,but for me personally,he was nothing to get over excited about.
    I can see him deffinitely being given an easy ride for a while,so ZUFFA can use him to build up and breakdown some bridges in getting into the Chinese market.
    The Chinese Bisping,they'll give him 4 or 5 favourable match ups before they throw him in with a ranked guy IMO.

I can't say enough good things about Aldo,the guy is a beast,everything he touches,he hurts,his kicks are nasty,when he attacks,you blink and you miss it,his speed and timing is phenominal and every single shot is thrown with the power of a WW,never mind a FW.
    Manny looked like he was a good match up for the first 2 mins,then after that it soon became clear that,he doesn't belong in the same cage as Aldo,not trying to be too down on Manny,since so far it looks like there isn't a FW on the planet that looks like they can compete with Aldo in the same cage.
    Aldo IMO,depending on what weight divisions he fights in and how long he stays a FW,has the ability to go on a run that could,eclipse either fedors or wandi prime runs.

P4P IMO

GSP
    Aldo(I want to see him face better opposition before he makes the no1 spot)
    Silva
    Fedor
    Edgar
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Nobody ever said Zhang was one of the worlds best fighters...but he just faced a 9-0 fighter, took him down, passed his guard and submitted him (beat him at his own game basically) in the first round.
    don't know how you are not impressed.

anyways, Aldo looked pretty good, you just have to remember that he isn't fighting in a really strong division, i mean Manny Gamburyan got sparked in 10 seconds by Rob Emerson using exactly the same tactic he did against Aldo.
    just swinging wild haymakers Neutral

WEC 51 videos 2e3win9

I reeeeeeeallly want to see Aldo go to japan and fight Marlon Sandro..otherwise he should just go to UFC lightweight division because he is a big fish in a small pond in the WEC.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I thought Zhang looked good,not really good and not bad.

Bonner kept saying that he should stand up and not fight him at his own game,I was thinking he obviously doesn't have a clue about this gut,Zhang's a BJJ purple belt with 6 subs and only one ko on his record Rolling Eyes

Garza took this fight on 6 days notice,he might have a pretty good record on small local shows,but I have personally seen him fight twice now,once on TUF and last night and in both fights he didn't look anything special on the ground,infact it was on the ground he lost both fights,he might well be a ground fighter,but that doesn't necessarily mean he's great there.
    Where as Zhang is being touted as one of the cream of the crop of Chinese MMA and has been taking out all of his opponents in the first rd,so of coarse he has alot of hype behind him,he is also the very first Chinese BJJ purple belt,so it's not as if the ground game isn't one of his strong points.

The FW's of coarse are not as strong as say the LW's but IMO the WEC FW division is the strongest in MMA and taking out Swanson,MTB,Faber and now Manny is very impressive,especially in the manner he took them all out.
    I don't think there is a FW on the planet that comes close to Aldo and I personally think he would destroy Sandro,he'd still be a huge fish in a small pond if he fought in Japan,since the WEC is stronger,the only step he should make when he's ready to up his competition is obviously a move up in weight and join the UFC's LW's.If Aldo stays as a FW,IMO,I can't see anyone beating him for a very long time.

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm

well ok, i guess that guy Garza is worse than his record suggests, i never saw him fight before.

anyway it simply opinion which is better FW division...i know which is more exciting Wink but either way Aldo has cleared out WEC featherweight division, and you cannot deny Sandro is the fight you want to see him in at FW!..alright Bibi Fernandes is higher on our rankings, but check these horrendous KOs out....each more brutal than the last, i dread to think what is gonna happen to poor old Hioki!
    pale

fight is 2.00 - 2.16

fight is 0.19 - 0.28

fight is 1.48 - 2.23

this guy reminds me of Gomi and to a lesser extent KID...
    because Gomi started out as a boring grappler, and turned into a KO artist, and Sandro is the same, thats the reason he is so exciting.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks for the vids.

Very happy that Cerrone beat Varner, I've always been a huge fan of Cerrone and I've never really liked Varner all that much. Very good fight though.

I would have never picked George Roop, a guy who struggled to beat that can from TUF 8 and lost to Nover to be the guy who kills the Korean Zombie. Shame for the Korean Zombie but there are a whole lot of wholes in his game and I hope he fixes it up.

I really do feel sorry for Garcia, the guy always gives it his all but he just doesn't have the tools to become anything more than decent. I like him and I always find him exciting, he has given us some memorable bouts but that's it. Good win for Hominick, he has always been a good fighter. He went 2-0 in the UFC I think over solid guys in Edwards and Gurgel. Don't think he'll become a champ or anything but a good fighter. I had it 29-28 Hominick.

Torres looked with a very composed and professional display. Hopefully the rot is done and he'll be going after the title. He had an 11 INCH reach advantage Btw.

Zhang did a good job, there isn't anything to complain about. He came out and beat the guy in a round but we'll need to see him against better fighters. So far so good though.

And for the main event. Gambaryuan did a good job in the first round and might have taken it but Aldo is a monster. He damaged that leg badly, it was red near the beginning of the 2nd round and then Gambaryuan made a moronic mistake by trying to brawl with Aldo and got the holy shit kicked out of him. Honestly I would like Gambaryun but anyone who loses to Emerson can't be taken very seriously in me eyes. He made up slightly by sparking MTB (great performance BTW, hopefully he's on his way back up) but still, its EMERSON!

I don't think there's anyone left in the WEC at FW left for Aldo. If he went to Japan and fought guys like Fernandes, Omigawa, Sandro, Kid among others he would clear out the division completely and then he could go to LW. Doubt it will happen though. I think he could go to LW in the WEC and fight Lil Hendo. Cerrone has talked about moving down as well. After that its time to go to the UFC.

P4P best (IMO)

1.GSP
    2.Fedor
    3.Shogun
    4.Aldo
    5.Silva
    6.Edgar

I think Aldo has to beat much tougher opponents before he moves up.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah your dead right it is only opinion,to which is the strongest division and it's obvious over our time on here to which we both show the most bias towards Wink

Sandro or fernandes would be good challenges (well there rankings atleast suggest they would be anyway)for Aldo,but obviously I'd prefer for them both to come to the WEC to fight him Wink

I still think Aldo would destroy either to be honest,sandro has obvious impressive skills and power,but trying to strike with Aldo is a complete different kettle of fish,to the guys he has been standing up with and sparking,plus the opposition Sandro has fought and beat doesn't really compare to the fighters Aldo has destroyed.
    I don't think Fernandes would survive with him either,a few lesser fighters have pushed him all the way where he has just managed to squeak out a decision,don't get me wrong he is still a very good fighter,a top tier fighter no doubt,but I could not see he possibly finishing Aldo,he's only finished 3 fighters in his career and I highly doubt he would survive 5 rds with Aldo.

Aldo is the next gen of fighter,he's younger,faster,has better range,explosiveness,kicks and defensive skills and IMO has by far the overall best striking at FW(shit I think his striking rivals most LW's but thats just speculation for now),I know Fernandes is a top fighter and Sandro has improved alot and is also up there,just like Omigawa seems to have in the last couple of years,but I still think that standard of fighter is a league behind Aldo.

admittedly i could be getting carried away with him,but watching him easily destroy very top opposition,it's hard not to.
    a 24 year old that is undefeated in 5 years and has gone 8-0 in the top fight WEC FW division,not even remotely being put in any kind of trouble,and basically clearing the division out,taking four top guys out back to back with ease.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 pm

it was a great event i really enjoyed it, why dont the ufc introduce a lighter weight to their divisions as the 135-145 lbs guys always provide great bouts.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Ye Payne I do think Aldo would beat all three but all three guys posses different problems.

Omigawa I think would have the least chance to beat him but he does have a well rounded game and if he took Aldo down he could give him problems. He is a very good grappler. Aldo has been subbed once, although to be fair to him he was only 20 at the time. But we haven't seen much of Aldo on the ground on his back, its been hard to get him on his back so far. I think Aldo would spark Omigawa but he does have a chance.

Fernades I think is a very good fighter. He's only been between twice and that was by Faber and Kid in the 2nd and 3rd fights of his career. He has a very good ground game and has good takedowns, he would cause some problems for Aldo. i think so far, Aldo has shown very good takedown defence and he destroys his opponents legs so Fernades would need to get the takedown quick and look for a sub.

Sandro is dangerous because if you get in a brawl with him, he can always KO you. Aldo is the more technical, skillful striker but Sandro has the power of a HW. I would pick Aldo to pick him apart and eventually stop him, but Sandro is very dangerous.

I think Warren could have a decent chance but I think that fight would go a lot like Faber vs Aldo did.

Im expecting Grispi to get the next shot if he gets past Koch, and Grispi is a good fighter as well.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah Grispi was the first name mentioned after the fight,by Ariel Harwani on the daily line show that followed it.

Josh Grispi is a very good young fighter that has been steam rolling some pretty good fighters in the last couple of years(he's only 21),he even made short work of LC Davis,who's no slouch in this division,after being out for a year.

I don't think he will have a problem with Koch,I think he can bring a challenge to Aldo,but I think Aldo will be to much for him for now.
    Still I think he has a good future in front of him,but don't know how long he can stay as a FW,he's still filling out IMO and he's a pretty big kid now.WEC 51 videos Thumbnail.aspx?q=274193131149&id=781848375fffd33795479535e04f2a33&url=http%3a%2f%2fstatic3.jadedpixel.com%2fs%2ffiles%2f1%2f0007%2f7042%2ffiles%2fjosh_grispi
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:56 am

It sucks that Aldo and Sandro will likely never meet being close training partners. An Anderson vs Lyoto situation, but Sandro has much less time left on his career. And the nuts thing is that it could happen at 135 if Fabiano wins the belt and they sign Dantas (which they will at some point).

I'd really be interested in any big name they could bring in from outside the WEC though, it'd have the old UFC vs Pride intrigue, even though Aldo prob walks through them all. Omigawa, Hioki, Fernandes would all be good.

Aldo's performances are borderline implausibly good, but it's hard to look past the fact that his biggest wins are all guys who essentially hit a wall at 155. He needs to face guys who have come straight up as featherweights looking impressive doing so, ie Grispi or Mendes.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 pm

ROOP,There it is

WEC 51 videos Apgur
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 am

Aldo does need to fight Bibiano and Sandro IMO but he's clearly the best FW in the world and having destroyed everyone in his path, including Faber and MTB is hugely impressive.

I'd like to see Aldo cut to 135 and fight Bowles, Torres and Cruz before he considers moving up to 155.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:00 am

Does anyone else think Ben Henderson could give Aldo some problems?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:03 am

I want to see Aldo fight the top 135 guys at WEC also, i dont think there is much left in WEC 145 division to would trouble Aldo, as Faber and Brown are still top fighters there.

A dream fight would be Aldo-Edgar. There probably the same size. Everyone always says Edgar should be at 145 lb.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:05 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Does anyone else think Ben Henderson could give Aldo some problems?

Yeah i think if he can get hold of Aldo he can cause him problems. However, in order to get hold of him he's going to have to take some big shots.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:07 am

redmeanie77 wrote:I want to see Aldo fight the top 135 guys at WEC also, i dont think there is much left in WEC 145 division to would trouble Aldo, as Faber and Brown are still top fighters there.

A dream fight would be Aldo-Edgar. There probably the same size. Everyone always says Edgar should be at 145 lb.

I agree, Aldo-Edgar would be amazing. The speed involved would be ridiculous.

Aldo-Penn is the dream fight for me though, Penn isn't a big LW and could prob make 145. I think a 150 catchweight would suit both of them.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:20 am

Yeah i think if he can get hold of Aldo he can cause him problems. However, in order to get hold of him he's going to have to take some big shots.

How do you think Henderson compares to the other wrestlers Aldo has faced. Im not sure at all of Henderson's wrestling cred so I can't compare him to Faber and MTB. I think Henderson is very well rounded so while he wouldn't out strike Aldo, he could grab him and take him down.

I would also suggest Warren, but looking at how badly dominated he got against Soto standing, I wouldn't give him much hope against Aldo. If he followed Sonnen's game plan against Silva, then maybe he could pull it off but then I still think its a matter of time before Aldo pounces.

I think Aldo might also fill out and be a comfortable 155er, he is a pretty big LW. I would love to see Edgar or Penn vs Aldo.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 am

Henderson is much longer than any of Aldo's previous opponents. He has really long arms and legs. He's not as explosive but he can wrap people up and keep them under his control.

I think Aldo would destroy Warren, i don't think it would last a round to be honest.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:05 pm

I like Warren and think he is a tough little son of a bitch,but I think he would get destroyed if he fought Aldo.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Dana White Hints at a WEC Announcement That Will "Blow Your Mind"

Here's an interesting nugget that you might have missed on Carmichael Dave's pound-for-pound debate with Dana White:

I brought up the fact that Silva had the opportunity to test the 205 division when he had cleared out his 185-pound division, and since Aldo had all but done the same in the 155 division,(Aldo's 145 but never mind) would he also get an opportunity?

This is where Dana White puts back on his president's hat, if there is such a thing. Known for fantastic quotes, he also knows when to be coy.

"The (expletive) we are going to do in the next year is going to blow your mind," he added. When asked if that meant anything from a WEC/UFC merger to an Edgar/Aldo superfight, he artfully dodged.

"You'll just have to sit back and watch. You have no idea the crazy (expletive) we're working on."

Naturally, the first thing that comes to mind is the possibility of seeing the best 145 and 135 pounders in the UFC. I actually don't know, or care, how Zuffa would do it - may it be a straight merger or by just adding extra weight classes while keeping the WEC alive - but what I do know is, the best featherweight and bantamweight fighters in world deserve the recognition, exposure, and the money, that their heavier counterparts have been enjoying.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 pm

could be.

but i wouldn't get your hopes up...he says his kind of stuff all the time and it ALWAYS disapoints.

like "just you fucking wait, there is an announcement next week that will blow the minds of the mma community"

next week

"we are opening a UFC gym"

scratch
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:06 pm

yeah that was my first thought,just like I'm still waiting for the,"we're going to put something on for the fans to make up for the Silva - Maia performance" we were told they would do.
    but I thought I'd post it anyway.

They do give us alot more free events now,so I can't be to upset about it,but regarding that promise,I've not heard him come out with anything that he has said,"this is the one we are putting on,like I promised to make up for that event".

unless I missed something.

I do think they will be doing loads of great things and putting on some great fights next year,but I'm not so sure they will be doing things that we haven't already heard rumours about or things out of the blue that we are not expecting.

I would be happy enough with a WEC merge or just the UFC and the WEC having all Weight classes,taking the cream out of the WEC and moving into the UFC,and leaving the WEC to function as a free to watch B league to the UFC.
    The Global TUF shows would be good as well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:46 am