THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
payneNglory1
redmeanie77
pinsman
7 posters

Bruce Lee doc....

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bruce Lee doc.... Empty Bruce Lee doc....

Post  pinsman Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Just watched a Bruce Lee Documentary on Virgin TV on demand... Really good doc lasts about two hours... theres alot of references to the UFC and Weightlifting which makes it fairly relevant to this forum.

Didn't realise how much of an influence he had on MMA... and his Style of Jit Kun Do is used in general... He also had a big influence on Body Building which is something i'm pritty into... interesting stuf I you get a chance to watch it!

What are people opinions on Bruce Lee influence as I know theres alot of Boxing fans on here?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bruce Lee doc.... Empty Re: Bruce Lee doc....

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Welcome Susan. Cool
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Welcome to the Armbar Susan.

I beleive you are the first female member,(unless your like the song,a boy named sue Smile )

Look forward to your comments,oh and to get you started what is your take on womens MMA?
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Nice to see you all found my topic real interesting Rolling Eyes welcome Sue!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Sorry mate but I've done the Bruce Lee thing to death in the past.

I respect Lee as a great teacher of Martial arts and he is responsible for getting more people interested in martial arts through his acting than any man that has ever lived,I loved his films growing up,but I find most Lee fans are dillusional and think he was some kind of super human being that would destroy anyman alive,when there is absolutely zero evidence apart from a couple of ameture boxing bouts he had as a child that Lee could of been a competitve professional fighter,his profesion was one of a dancer and an actor.People say he was one of the first people to cross train and MMA would not be around if it wasn't for his teachings,well that is also bullshit because there have been loads of people before Lee that cross trained,just none of them had the fame to bring it to peoples attention like Lee.

I don't want to bash Lee because like I said he is one of the most influential people in the history of martial arts and deserves a ton of credit for alot of great things he has done for the martial arts community but he wasn't the first by along way to think of MMA nor does his parlour tricks make him some kind of super human.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:15 pm

if this post had a link to the documentary i would be more interested. Twisted Evil

i'm more stumped to why no-one replied to my calendar posts which concern some exciting fights.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:18 pm

pinsman wrote:Nice to see you all found my topic real interesting Rolling Eyes welcome Sue!

You should be thankfull to Susun, she stopped your thread going into the hall of shame.

https://thearmbar.forumotion.com/search.forum?search_id=unanswered

Haha look how many Payne has Laughing Razz
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm

You bastards,you cut me really deep Very Happy

The 6 deadly arts didn't go down to well did they Rolling Eyes
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm

The Muay thai one got a few hits. I enjoyed reading them all actually.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:35 pm

you should have put them all in one thread.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

I would of but it always seems to mess up when I try to put more than one vid in an article,my computer skills are basic at best,in fact nearly everything I've learned about posting things is what I've picked up since I became an Armbar member.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 pm

12replys now, im happy he he he!

And Chesty, sorry dude can't find the Doc online it was a two hour show!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am

I'm a huge fan of Bruce Lee, both from his films and a lot more because of his philosophy on the martial arts and fighting in general. I think I posted something ages ago about him being relevant, which I will probably repeat most of below.

Payne is right when he says that there are a lot of delusional fans of his and I cringe whenever I read posts from a dickhead who has just seen Enter The Dragon (one of my favourite movies of all time!!) and claims Bruce Lee could kick Gods arse.

I have to disagree about evidence of his fighting credentials, however.

There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that he could hold his own in a fight, even against much bigger opponents. Although the stories get blown up a bit over time, I believe the facts remain true. Anyone who can hold their own sparring against Chuck Norris (insert favourite Chuck Norris factoid here Smile ) despite being 50-60 pounds lighter and a lot shorter could surely fight Laughing

In saying that, I don't how he would have fared as a professional or sport fighter because his philosophy was based around real life situations and not combat sport. A lot of his most effective strikes and holds would be illegal in todays MMA.

There was an outtake or it may have actually been in one of his movies but there was a scene in one of his later movies where he was training a kid. They spar and Lee ends up with the kid in an armbar. The kid taps and Bruce berates him. He slaps the kid and asks him why he didn't bite his leg to try to break the armbar. The kid said that biting while fighting was dishonourable. Bruce explains that once a situation becomes violent, the honour in the situation has already gone so it then becomes win at all costs.

While this was just a movie scene, Bruce Lee had started to use his movies as a way of explaining his ideas of combat. And as you can see it is important to separate the ideas of real combat and sport combat.

But he had an incredible thirst for knowledge and I believe he would be a great trainer or coach today if he were alive.

While Payne is right in saying that he was a dancer first, yes but only in his childhood. He was a child actor and that's when most of his dancing was done. You can probably credit the dancing for his balance and efficiency of movement when fighting so it was all positive in the end.

Fighting has a history as long as humanity so there can, in my opinion, be no one person who "invented" MMA. It has been a sport developed over thousands of years and is still developing. The Gracies get a lot of credit but they only started the UFC to prove BJJ was better than anything else, not to embrace the concept of MMA. You could argue that BJJ and fighting effectively off your back was the last piece of the jigsaw in making a complete MMA fighter, I guess.

Payne is right that Lee gets a lot of credit because he was able to broadcast his views to a wider audience but it is no reason to hold it against him because a lot of what he said was right. He never claimed to have started MMA or to have been the perfect fighter but his philosophy was based on always improving your skills and fighting to your strengths, all qualities of the best MMArtists at the moment.

The thing that interests me is that his background was Chinese martial arts which don't seem to be overly represented amongst the top echelons of MMA. Maybe someone can tell me otherwise because I am not that clued up on the backgrounds of todays fighters. Bruce Lee was highly critical of a lot of aspects of Chinese martial arts like some of their overly flamboyant and ineffective strikes and positionings.

He is relevant to MMA today because, whether you believe he deserves to be or not, he is a modern day icon whose name and image can almost be considered to be synonymous with the term martial arts who claimed that no one martial art held all the answers. The sport of MMA as it is today is proof of that. There have been many of people who have known this through the history of combat but they have not popularised the concept as well as he has (fair enough, some of them didn't have the means) and he should be given credit for that.

Bruce Lee - Legend!!!

Note to self - stop writing about Bruce Lee when stoned drunken
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Ginginho

The footage of him armbering the student is in the documentary, it was filmed in the 60's or early 70's I think way before BJJ became popular (I believe?). I see Lee as someone who inspired MMA, they speak to alot of guys fighting in the UFC now and im pritty sure Randy is interviewed aswell... Dana White too.

Lee is someone who learned many different styles and combined them into his own style of martial arts, inventing his own form... he seemed a real cool guy and I love his on screen styles, theres not many Martial arts actors now, anywhere near him in terms of talent, most use bungy cords and what not so they can jump 100 feet in the air... his does not impress me at all.

Tony Jarr of Ong Bak is probably the only other Martial artist I take interst in, his films are awesome his style is Mauy Thai... although he too was a dancer/gymnast... check him out if you haven't already!!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Ginginho wrote:I'm a huge fan of Bruce Lee, both from his films and a lot more because of his philosophy on the martial arts and fighting in general. I think I posted something ages ago about him being relevant, which I will probably repeat most of below.

Payne is right when he says that there are a lot of delusional fans of his and I cringe whenever I read posts from a dickhead who has just seen Enter The Dragon (one of my favourite movies of all time!!) and claims Bruce Lee could kick Gods arse.

I have to disagree about evidence of his fighting credentials, however.

There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that he could hold his own in a fight, even against much bigger opponents. Although the stories get blown up a bit over time, I believe the facts remain true. Anyone who can hold their own sparring against Chuck Norris (insert favourite Chuck Norris factoid here Smile ) despite being 50-60 pounds lighter and a lot shorter could surely fight Laughing

In saying that, I don't how he would have fared as a professional or sport fighter because his philosophy was based around real life situations and not combat sport. A lot of his most effective strikes and holds would be illegal in todays MMA.

There was an outtake or it may have actually been in one of his movies but there was a scene in one of his later movies where he was training a kid. They spar and Lee ends up with the kid in an armbar. The kid taps and Bruce berates him. He slaps the kid and asks him why he didn't bite his leg to try to break the armbar. The kid said that biting while fighting was dishonourable. Bruce explains that once a situation becomes violent, the honour in the situation has already gone so it then becomes win at all costs.

While this was just a movie scene, Bruce Lee had started to use his movies as a way of explaining his ideas of combat. And as you can see it is important to separate the ideas of real combat and sport combat.

But he had an incredible thirst for knowledge and I believe he would be a great trainer or coach today if he were alive.

While Payne is right in saying that he was a dancer first, yes but only in his childhood. He was a child actor and that's when most of his dancing was done. You can probably credit the dancing for his balance and efficiency of movement when fighting so it was all positive in the end.

Fighting has a history as long as humanity so there can, in my opinion, be no one person who "invented" MMA. It has been a sport developed over thousands of years and is still developing. The Gracies get a lot of credit but they only started the UFC to prove BJJ was better than anything else, not to embrace the concept of MMA. You could argue that BJJ and fighting effectively off your back was the last piece of the jigsaw in making a complete MMA fighter, I guess.

Payne is right that Lee gets a lot of credit because he was able to broadcast his views to a wider audience but it is no reason to hold it against him because a lot of what he said was right. He never claimed to have started MMA or to have been the perfect fighter but his philosophy was based on always improving your skills and fighting to your strengths, all qualities of the best MMArtists at the moment.

The thing that interests me is that his background was Chinese martial arts which don't seem to be overly represented amongst the top echelons of MMA. Maybe someone can tell me otherwise because I am not that clued up on the backgrounds of todays fighters. Bruce Lee was highly critical of a lot of aspects of Chinese martial arts like some of their overly flamboyant and ineffective strikes and positionings.

He is relevant to MMA today because, whether you believe he deserves to be or not, he is a modern day icon whose name and image can almost be considered to be synonymous with the term martial arts who claimed that no one martial art held all the answers. The sport of MMA as it is today is proof of that. There have been many of people who have known this through the history of combat but they have not popularised the concept as well as he has (fair enough, some of them didn't have the means) and he should be given credit for that.

Bruce Lee - Legend!!!

Note to self - stop writing about Bruce Lee when stoned drunken

Laughing that was actually a really good read! I didnt know he held his own in a saprring session with Chuck Norris!! Wow!
    james_hampton
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  james_hampton Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 am

yeah i enjoyed that ginginho as well, really interesting, cheers. Tony Ja is great, he does all of his own stunts. Hes been getting a lot of grief in Thailand after Ong Bak 2 from people saying he is trying to appeal to western tastes too much, and just trying to show off muai thai (Which is pretty similar to the gracies with BJJ i believe.) He did another film the elephant king which was pretty gash in terms of a story but good action. Check him out if you havent heard of him
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:22 pm

is the elephant king the one where they steal his elephant and he goes on the rampage to get the baby elephant back, if it is its awesome!

Havent seen Ong Bak 2 yet can't wait to see it!! Ong Bak 1 is quality, prob one of my favourate films!!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Fist of fury is my all time greatest Bruce lee movie.

Anyone bored and want to kill some time before the verses card can watch it here....

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=216UFRSB
    james_hampton
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  james_hampton Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 am

Yeah thats the elephant king, Where he beats up about 50blokes in a couple of minutes. Like i said lots of action but ong bak was a lot better. I quite liked the 2nd one. I watched in in thai so didnt understand all of it, but got the jist.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:42 pm

i will be buying!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:29 pm