THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
9 posters

Herring on the UFC

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Herring on the UFC Empty Herring on the UFC

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:47 pm

“I really don't care too much for them. I don't think they care too much for me. They've got their guys they want to push, guys they want to market. Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir are the guys they want to push and market. The problem is if you're one of the guys who's not one of their favorites, they want to keep you out of the competition.”

“I'm trying to make money for myself, feed my family, and these guys are trying to do everything they can to make it impossible for me. With the way the UFC's pay scale and as much as it costs me to get ready for a fight. At the end of the day I made like 40 grand.”

“If I was getting a little more money and it was worth my while I'd get back into fighting. But right now I'm making more in movies. I've got to look out for number one as far as that goes. These guys are literally making money off our blood, sweat and tears. We don't get any health insurance. If you get hurt training for a fight, you're screwed. It's really kind of crazy. Dana White's got six Ferraris. Hell, I just want one.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I though Herring was getting paid alright, im sure no worse than he was in Pride? Anyway what movies? he did some Cheesy Straight to DVD action movie with a lot of Other MMA guys and some dude that looked like Rob Schneider beating them all up... I dont think he is going to be a big movie star! Laughing

I seriously dont think he has gotten over the beating Lesnar gave him. He Blabs on about UFC wanting to Market certain guys... If you want them to market you start winning! If Herring had of Finished Nog or beat Lesnar you can bet UFC would be trying just as hard to Market him as they do Mir. Infact with the Crazy hair and Cowboy coat and hat they would probabally love to push him as main guy!!

I think he needs to see out his contract, if he wins im sure he can negotiate a better one or go to Dream/SF who would be happy to pay a UFC fighter coming off a few wins what he is after. If he is still in contract to get X amount of pay he needs to man up and fulfill his contract. He agreed on the day after all! It might look a shit deal now but he signed it at the time.

Anyone know how long he has left on his contract? We could see him headed to SF if its an amount of time as oppose to a number of fights, but I doubt that. Ive only heard of an amount of time on Coutures contract.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Herring on the UFC Empty Re: Herring on the UFC

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't care much for Herring, a good fighter but nothing more than a gatekeeper. Most of the good fighter's he has faced not only beat him but kicked the shit out of him as well, the performances against Fedor, Cro Cop and Lesnar were very embarassing. I know those three are all excellent fighters but he didn't do shit. The Lesnar fight was particularly embarassing. If he went in all out and got Koed ok but he just lay there and got the shit kicked out of him. He was utterly humiliated, aside from Lesnar riding on his back, he was stripped of his manhood. He looked like a little girl, I know Lesnar is incredibly strong but even 46 year old, LHW Randy Couture put up a much better fight than him. I wasn't expecting Herring to outmuscle Lesnar by anymeans but I expected more from a 255 6'3 giant.

He can blame the UFC all he wants but at the end of the day he lost to "Irish" Jake O'Brien, a LHW. Pure Garbage.

The UFC are gaining nothing from him, if he leaves they lose nothing. Strikeforce would gain nothing from signing him either, just another fighter who would lose to the better ones. I think Fedor, Werdum, Silva, Rogers, Lashley and Del Rosario would beat him.

Best of in Japan, he is popular there, he can make a lot of money and have some intresting matches.

Herring vs Minowaman anyone?
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm

i really like Herring and hope he fights again i wouldnt even bother watching any of his movies im sure there pretty bad hes a good fighter and i think if thats how he feels about the UFC id like to see him leave maybe go to dream or strikeforce some good fights for him there
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:17 pm

according to IMDB:

# Devil Dogs (2010) (pre-production)
    # Salt (2010) (post-production) (uncredited) .... Henchman
    # Unrivaled (2010) (completed) .... Demoledoe
    # Circle of Pain (2010) (V) (completed) .... Colin 'the brick' Wahle

# Hell's Chain (2009) .... Lucas Owens
    # Never Surrender (2009) .... Stone

of those: 4 are directed by Hector Echevaria
    of those not directed by Hector: 1 is another mma movie with Kimbo, Mir, Huerta and Miguel Torres.

and 1 (salt) is actually a legit film with angelina jolie! affraid

well at least he is keeping busy with acting.

i actually saw never surrender and he was the best actor in the film so he could have a future.

anyway....back to mma!

i agree he would be best off in DREAM, they need him too! he would be their 2nd best HW after Overeem if they signed him.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Speaking of Movies,I watched Arlovski in that Universal soldier last night.

Not a great movie as you would expect but I thought it was OK, the fight scenes were alright and used a good mixture of real mma fighting and movie fighting and they didn't hold back on the violence or gore.

Arlovski is a bad Mother trucker in this film,Van Dam doesn't look as sickly as I've seen him and actually looks ok and Dolph is still just the perfect big scary russian dude.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Never surrender Laughing

I love you GSP but I wasn't impressed wid your per-for-mance in never surrender. Ofcoarse id doesn't help when you can't even use your own fucking voice!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:43 pm

the first of many unintentionally hilarious moments in Never Surrender was when Georges starts talking in someone elses voice! also when they called Sergio (or whatever the main character is called) the "world's best pound for pound fighter in his weightclass!!!!"

I think Herring should go to DREAM and request a fight with Overeem.
    He'll probably get his ass kicked, but if he wins....

Herring on the UFC Article_image_d9762fa40c61d5b1

check out that consort Razz
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:51 pm

then there is Andrei:

Herring on the UFC L_185cc634f2575bc88871cd0c19b899cb

an more likely win would be Tim; but could you bring yourself to go where Tim has been? No

Herring on the UFC Tim-sylvia-and-girlfriend
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 pm

Laughing Laughing haha quality

When I first heard GSP speak I spat my drink out in disbelief, I was thinking did Dana make him take accent classes or something?

I must say the consorts are pretty attractive, how the hell did Timmeh get a girl like that? Oh ye he charges for autographs!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Andrei win the consort contest, personally I feel Herring is turning into a waste of space... I go with the majority move on to Dream
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm

I like Herring and think he's right in what he says.

That being said, he did lose to Jake O'Brien!

I'd prefer Over-Roid's consort to the others.

And the good thing about going after Alistair is that his dick and balls will be so shrivelled from all the roid that she'd think you were a horse compared to him!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 pm

^^^^^

Herring on the UFC Hahaha-lulz
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Heath on recent UFC criticism...

Heath Herring is not trying to start a crusade; he's just looking out for No. 1.

In a Wednesday interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the UFC heavyweight addressed several controversial statements he made four days prior during a segment on an Orlando ESPN radio affiliate.

In the interview, Herring bluntly said that the UFC plays favorites and does not make it worth his while to make fighting a priority.

Herring said the statements have been blown out of proportion and assured fans he is not trying to alienate his fight employer nor give up on the fight game.

He is, however, attempting to seize several opportunities in the entertainment industry that have followed after a canceled fight with Cain Velasquez at UFC 99 this past June. Herring withdrew from the Cologne, Germany card's co-main event with a serious bout of the flu.

"It's not fiscally responsible for me to turn these opportunities down [when] they might pay off better than what my fighting career is doing for me right now," Herring said.

Herring (28-14 MMA, 2-3 UFC) has not fought since August 2008, when Brock Lesnar defeated him by unanimous decision at UFC 87.

"I really don't care too much for [the UFC], (and) I don't think they care too much for me," Herring said during the ESPN affiliate interview. "With … the UFC's pay scale and as much as it costs me to get ready for a fight, at the end of the day I made like 40 grand.

"These guys are literally making money off our blood, sweat and tears. (UFC president) Dana White's got six Ferraris. Hell, I just want one."

The former PRIDE contender said he acted in several film projects in the latter half of 2009 – including a role in the upcoming Angelina Jolie-starring action flick "Salt" – and was briefly involved in a restaurant start-up. He also took a commentating job this past October for a new fight promotion in San Diego, Calif., that holds a regional TV deal with the CW Television Network.

"I think the whole five Ferrari comment is that at this point in my career, I'm actually making less money than when I was younger and I was 23 years old," Herring told MMAjunkie.com. "Like I said, I've got these business opportunities that have arisen, and it actually makes more sense for me to try to do that financially than try to take the time out and fight. That's the decision I'm being faced with right now."

It wasn't an easy decision, he noted.

"It's obviously a risk that I wrestle with on a daily basis," he said. "It's been a very tough decision for me. But with my current contract, I feel like I've hit the glass ceiling, so to speak. It's not that I don't ever want to fight again. But I have to be intelligent with my body and my time, and (if) I can find something that pays off better, I need to go down that road.

"I've got a lot of scars and wounds but not a lot to show for it. It's like, 'Do you want to keep destroying your body?' I love fighting. But it's like you wake up one day – and I'm almost 32 years old now – and you say, 'What have I really done? What's the legacy I've left for my child and my family, other than do you want to watch me on YouTube? You want to watch me on Spike TV?'

"It's not really intelligent for me to continue down this road and look up in five or 10 years and be like, 'OK, what did I get here?'"

Herring said his UFC contract expires April 10 and does not anticipate a fight before its time runs out. In the past, the promotion has not taken kindly to those who criticize its business practices.

So where does that leave him?

"I don't know, now," he said. "Obviously, the way that that interview was taken and blown out of context, I think Dana's very vindictive. I think when he gets upset about something, he tries to stick it to whoever.

"But on the other side, I'm one of the few marketable heavyweights. I think I'm making them more money even by this stuff. By causing a commotion, it's even putting my name out there more, which is more marketing for them at this point. I'm not trying to cause a crusade against the UFC by any means."

Even if fighting is not first on his mind at this point, Herring plans to stay involved in the sport however he can.

But of the question asked of him daily – when are you going to fight? – he can't answer.

"I don't now," said Herring, who said fans can check out his commentating work at www.ia-mma.com. "This ride's been pretty wild lately. I'm just enjoying the ride right now and seeing where this is going to take me."
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/17992/heath-herring-clarifies-recent-ufc-criticism-says-non-fight-ventures-simply-more-lucrative.mma
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm

I agree with Ben, i dont think he has gotten over the Brock beating, and he just wants to make a living by making movies now. Thats fair i suppose he can do what he want. Its not like millions of people around the world are loosing sleep to see him back in the cage.

He has always been a gatekeeper, and i think there are now many young talent at HW coming through, i dont think he will be relevant much longer anyway.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 pm

Its not like millions of people around the world are loosing sleep to see him back in the cage.

I don't think anyone's loosing sleep over it Laughing Somehow I doubt MMA fans will be thinking he was "The one that got away". I do feel sorry for him, the only way people are going to remember him is by remembering he was the guy who got the shit kicked out of him by Fedor, Cro Cop, Lesnar and Nog.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 am

He gave Nog some close fights and nearly beat him the last time.

Fedor and CroCop gave him worse beatings than Brock. I don't think that has much to do with his decision to stay away from the cage.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:10 am