THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
hendos_right_hook
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
9 posters

Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce Empty Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:57 pm

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/10/bobby-lashley-signs-strikeforce/

The fight organization Strikeforce has added another fighter to its roster — Former World Wrestling Entertainment star and current heavyweight mixed martial artist Bobby Lashley.

Lashley (4-0) signed a multi-year agreement, which will officially start when he makes his Strikeforce debut at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. on Jan. 30.

“I’m looking forward to fighting for Strikeforce and challenging myself by taking on some of the top heavyweights in MMA,” said Lashley.

Lashley is a former collegiate wrestler at Missouri Valley College and served in the U.S. army. At 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, he’ll be one of the larger fighters of the heavyweight division.

He made his professional debut in the sport on Dec. 13, 2008 with a 41-second TKO over Joshua Franklin. He then defeated Jason Guida, brother of UFC fighter Clay Guida, by unanimous decision, followed by back-to-back submissions in the first round of his next two fights.

The news comes just days after Strikeforce announced the signing of former UFC middleweight Dan Henderson.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce Empty Re: Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Good news Lashley isnt quite LEsnar popularity but he will bring a lot of fans to Strikeforce.

Hopefully by now the Waterman fight is dead in the water.

1st potential fight? Antonio Silva would work for me... Maby Jeff Monson if he has signed with them although he fight this month its Jeff Monson, a fight a month wont be stretching himself, Ray Sefo is the only other fight I can think of, A win over a K-1 legend would surely be a huge achievment for a guy who has been fighting the likes of Jason Guida.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce Empty Re: Bobby Lashley signs with Strikeforce

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm

great news for strikeforce and Lashley!

side note: we NEED the regular events on TV in this country.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:20 pm

From what i've seen, I don't rate him as a fighter. Size and strength can only get you so far, but at least Lesnar beat some genuinely good opponents in his first few fights.

From a purely business point of view, Strikeforce can easily market him in America, getting a sort of Lesnar/Lashley rivalry going.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Lesnar beat Min-Soo Kim who is a second rate bum in MMA terms(used to be an amazing Judoka though!) and then lost to Mir.

Lashley is doing the smart thing, and from what i've seen he's been very impressive other than in the Guida fight.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

Lashley vs Fedor this is the dream fight that mma fans around the world have been waiting for Smile
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:02 pm

To be fair to lashley he is new to the game and came in with just a credible wrestling background (he is no lesnar in that respect either). He needs to start at the bottom and work his way up, and regardless of what you think of of bob sapp he is a good name for any 4-0 fighter to have on his record. Signing for strikeforce is positive step, and also benefits strikeforce in that they can build a 'homegrown' star. I expect them to bring cans in for his first couple of fights then give him decen opponents if he looks strong. Lashley vs fedor would do huge numbers but could be a career killing fight for lashley in the same way the fedor fight was for sylvia.

Ps. When lashley was on the wrestling I used to call him 'head of a baby' cause he has the body ofa bodybuilder and the head of a 3 month old.

Pps. Who will be the next ex WWE superstar to try MMA? I'm hoping for Billy gunn for comedy value but I'm trying to think of someone who may have a skillset, steve blackman is too old but does now run an MMA school. Perhaps lo ki who has a standup . Martial arts background and is of the right build to not be short at his weight? In all seriousness pro wrestling gets a bad rep amongst MMA fans but I'm a trained pro wrestler and in my only ever jiu jitsu class I was able to grab half guard and not get subbed by using a pro wrestling defence against an armbar to avoid getting subbed bya red belt for ten minutes. He did some wierd nerve hold thing on me that fucking killed in the end I made a girl noise then tapped.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Good signing, he should get Strikeforce a lot of publicity. Some reports are suggesting that he'll wrestle with TNA as well.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm

(used to be an amazing Judoka though!)

Wasn't he an olympic silver medalist or something like that in Judo?

Lashley has looked ok so far against journeymen. Silva and Monson are too much right now, I think the Waterman fight should have gone ahead because it is a step up. A little step up from the competition he has faced. Lashley was horrible against Guida who plain sucks so you can't throw him in with some one like Silva. Id like to see him vs Mike Kyle first. They can gradually build him up and then put him in a fight with Fedor, Overoid, Werdum ect.

Does anybody know if he is still with TNA?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:(used to be an amazing Judoka though!)

Wasn't he an olympic silver medalist or something like that in Judo?

Lashley has looked ok so far against journeymen. Silva and Monson are too much right now, I think the Waterman fight should have gone ahead because it is a step up. A little step up from the competition he has faced. Lashley was horrible against Guida who plain sucks so you can't throw him in with some one like Silva. Id like to see him vs Mike Kyle first. They can gradually build him up and then put him in a fight with Fedor, Overoid, Werdum ect.

Does anybody know if he is still with TNA?

Yeah he won a silver medal in 96. I saw him give a seminar in Seoul in like 2001 or 2002 and he was just incredibly good.

And having just checked TNA's website(and gotten distracted by Christy Hemme) i can confirm that Lashley is still performing with TNA.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 am

how about this guy? he is 37 though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Prudius
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:07 am

I had no idea koslov had legit credentials haha ' I love double double E' .

The obvious pick would be scott steiner but he is old and injury riddled.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:12 am

Just thought of Toshiaki Kawada. In his prime in 96 that guy could have cleaned up in the UFC don't tell me he couldn't kick the shit out of Harold Howard lol
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:25 am

Yeah he won a silver medal in 96. I saw him give a seminar in Seoul in like 2001 or 2002 and he was just incredibly good.

And having just checked TNA's website(and gotten distracted by Christy Hemme) i can confirm that Lashley is still performing with TNA.

Wow, shame he never was a success in MMA although to be fair he did fight some tough competition. Frye, Mighty Mo, Sefo, Sapp (not really),Schilt and Lesner. He does have a win over Minowa.

Thanks for the update on Lashley, I have to go check that Christy Hemme picture out drunken

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:03 am