THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Cowboys From Hell
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it? Empty Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it?

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 pm

I might head over to this, any of you lads live near that fancy it?

The GLORY kickboxing promotion next month teams up with DREAM for a New Year's Eve mega-show in Japan.

But in February, GLORY will return with a card on its own. GLORY 5 is slated for Feb. 16 in London, and veteran heavyweights Tyrone Spong (68-6-1) and Remy Bonjasky (77-14) are set to headline.

Spong earlier this month made his MMA debut with a dominant first-round knockout of Travis Bartlett at World Series of Fighting 1 in Las Vegas.

GLORY 5, announced Monday by promotion officials, will take place at the arena at ExCeL Exhibition Centre in London. Also announced for the card are lightweights Jordan Watson (29-5-1) vs. Steve Moxon (29-4-1) and Liam Harrison (67-13-2) vs. Mosab Amrani (48-7-4).

Tickets for the event are expected to go on sale in November, with pricing levels and an exact on-sale date announced soon.

Spong spent roughly a year training with the Blackzilians squad at Imperial Athletics in Florida in preparation for his crossover from kickboxing to MMA. And against Bartlett, he didn't disappoint. He was a massive favorite of as much as 13-to-1 in the fight, which took place on the main card at WSOF 1 and aired on NBC Sports Network.

Just 40 seconds into the fight, Spong landed a head kick that dropped Barlett, and 30 seconds later continued to try to land the big right roundhouse kick to the head. He also mixed in knees, leg kicks and punches against the veteran of nearly 100 boxing matches.

But after barely breaking a sweat, Spong landed a straight right hand that planted Bartlett, and Spong just turned around and walked away.

As a kick boxer, Spong has won four straight, including a knockout of Peter Aerts in June. His last setback came nearly two years ago against Alistair Overeem in the K-1 World Grand Prix quarterfinals.

Bonjasky owns three K-1 Grand Prix titles and just this past month returned after three years away from the sport due to an eye injury and subsequent surgery. His return was successful as he won a decision against top-ranked Anderson "Braddock" Silva at GLORY 2 in Belgium.

"This is a dream fight that kickboxing fans around the world have been wanting to see for some time," GLORY Managing Director Marcus Luer stated. "Bonjasky is one of the sport's all-time greats, and anybody who watched him fight in Brussels could see immediately that he was as sharp as ever. He had the same dynamic fighting style that earned him tremendous success and acclaim in the sport before he went on hiatus three years ago.

"As for Spong, his speed and technicality are just amazing. He is unbelievably agile for a heavyweight and he makes fighting look like ballet. He also has plenty of power and a real killer instinct, which we saw in his win over Peter Aerts earlier this year. Bonjasky and Spong are two of the most natural athletes the sport of kickboxing has ever seen."
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it? Empty Re: Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it?

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Sounds good.....But I should add Zuffa has responded to this by announcing that they will at Wembley Arena for UFC on Fuel 7 on the same night. It seems to me they see GLORY as a threat.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it? Empty Re: Spong vs Bonjasky Feb 24th in London.... anyone fancy it?

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

Yeah saw that buddy, Maby Diego vs Hardy as a main event? Bonjasky is as good as Anderson or Bones at the very least so in my eyes he would be more one to tell the grandkids about seeing in the future, I kick myself to this day for missing a live Severn fight in belfast.

Bonjasky is top 3 of all time in K-1 I think behind Schilt and Hoost, partly due to Injury. I love the guy and remember watching him 10 years ago, Itd be something special to witness live I reckon. Heres hoping I can scrape up enough to see it, could use a holiday!
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am

Hardy has confirmed that he will not be fighting on the fuel 7 card in London. The only scheduled fight so far is Matt Riddle v Che Mills and tickets go on sale this week. I think the UFC are really taking the piss out of UK fans that they can start to sell tickets without a headline fight announced.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:49 am

I'm really disappointed that Hardy isn't fighting at this event to be honest. I agree with Paddy, the UFC are taking the piss if they think they can just open up ticket sales without having a decent fight announced, let alone a headline fight. Riddle vs Mills? Fuck off. Big yawn, back to sleep.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:29 am

Whoa now, they have also got Josh Grispi v Andy Ogle Laughing

Surely the British market is bigger than the Aussie market but it seems like although they have had fewer events, the Aussie cards are generally better.

Good news for me though, sounds like Mark Hunt v Stephan Struve is down for Saitama Super Stadium on March the 3rd. WAR Hunto!!!!!
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 am

Barao vs McDonald title fight has been added to the London card.

Can't complain about that.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Fair play to Zuffa, Barao v Mayday that's a very solid Main Event for us Brits, in fact groundbreaking !. Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:44 am

That's going to be an incredible fight! Fair play to the UFC. Absolute cracker.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:47 am