THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
KalDog
manschesthair_utd
wilksdaman
9 posters

Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110 Empty Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110

Post  wilksdaman Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 pm

A heavyweight clash between Ben Rothwell (30-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-7-2 MMA, 2-3 UFC) is likely to take place in February at UFC 110.

The matchup was first reported by Sherdog.com, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with sources close to the event that the fight has been discussed as a possibility but not signed.

Although not officially announced by the UFC, UFC 110 is expected to take place Feb 21. The event, which takes place at Acer Arena, marks the UFC's debut in Australia.

A middleweight bout between Wanderlei Silva and Yoshihiro Akiyama could take the card's main-event slot.

Rothwell, a former star of the now-defunct International Fight League, signed with the UFC earlier this year and made his promotional debut in a TKO loss to Cain Velasquez at UFC 104 in October. Including a loss to Andrei Arlovski in July 2008 at "Affliction: Banned," Rothwell has now dropped two of his past three fights. The skid followed a career-high 13-fight win streak the Miletich fighter posted from 2005 to 2007.

Filipovic, meanwhile, returns to the octagon following a second-round submission loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC 103 in September. Filipovic, a former star of PRIDE Fighting Championships, made his UFC debut in 2007 with a TKO win over Eddie Sanchez. However, he then suffered back-to-back losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, and he then left the UFC to compete in Japan, where he went 2-0 before returning to the UFC with a controversial TKO win over Mostapha Al Turk (the referee failed to see Filipovic's illegal, but accidental, eye poke).

Following the latest loss, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com Filipovic might be dropped by the organization. Rumors of a potential retirement, partially spurred by "Cro Cop," then surfaced. However, it appears the Croatian fighter will enter the cage at least once more.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16742/ben-rothwell-and-mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-likely-to-meet-at-ufc-110.mma
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110 Empty Re: Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm

i am bricking it already and its 3 months away!
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110 Empty Re: Ben Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic likely to meet at UFC 110

Post  KalDog Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:42 pm

Seriously?

Does anyone else just want him to retire already?
    The more he fights, the more he looks unimpressive and he looks like his heart isnt in it anymore.

Its only my opinion and i know he's a legend but he is damaging his legacy with lacklustre performances ala Chuck and Frank.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 am

Would anyone else like to see Mirko go back to K1 and give it one last go? At least there he'd be on level ground.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 am

Fuck yes!! If those fights are in Aussie, I might make the effort to go to it. It would probably be one of the few chances I might get to seeing top quality MMA live and to have two absolute legends of the sport on the same card..... cheers

And the Sexy one too....... Wink
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:58 pm

thats definetely a fight mirko can win but the way he has been i see rothwell taken him down and pounding him out i would like to see him try k-1 again like anfield said
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 pm

K-1 might not be the Ideal environemnt for a figher that shys away from being hit. I think Mirko should have Hung 'em up by now. He is only further damaging his legacy by keeping fighting.

This is a very winnable fight for a 50% Mirko even but I dont know where his head is at. It would be great to see him winning again and Rothewell is probabally still top 20ish.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:52 pm

This is a fight he can win easily but my question is where after that? Fight with Randy? Nog? At the end of the day he lost to Dos Santos, one of the fastest rising HWs in MMA today with very quick hands and crazy power. He lost to a fitter, stronger, bigger hungrier fighter lets give him a break. Rothwell won't cause Cro Cop nearly as much trouble standing up as JDS did. I say take it. If he loses-thats it. If he wins well then we will see what happens. He isn't tarnishing his legacy, he is trying to further it, no need to give up after a few hard losses.

Its only my opinion and i know he's a legend but he is damaging his legacy with lacklustre performances ala Chuck

Chuck didn't tarnish his legacy, infact the only poor loss he had was against Jardine in what was a shit performance. Other than that he beat Wandy in a classic and KOed by 3 of the best LHWs in the world so lets give him a break.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Fair play actually mate, Old Legends taking a few losses to top guys isnt the end of the world but Crocop looked like he didnt want to fight, Chuck never looked like that, Chuck was throwing wild punches with his chin in the air like a madman, He went out swinging as they say.

Crocop ducked his head and turned away from punches to the face, Amatures do that in the gym, Im guilty of doing it before and im sure anyone who sparred has done it but in a fight to do this shows you want no part of it, When your Psyched up or in the right frame of mind you shouldnt be looking at the floor pushing him the che chest. Mirko isnt really getting old Physically, maby a bit slower but he can still cut it physically he just hasnt got the right mind to fight and I think once its gone its gone. He is like (and sorry to use him for a comparison again!) Tyson, A Wrecking Machine who just lost the Killer Instince and whos head just didnt look in the fight after a certain point and Crocops was the Gonzaga loss.. hell he didnt really even look that good in his UFC Debut but the Gonzaga loss Ruined him, He wont break the top 10 again.

Chuck did hang with Wandy but he has a problem that he cant fiz and its the Punch resistance going, Chuck for being a counterpuncher was a bit of a wildman in the day and I dont think he understands the notion of tucking in your chin when you fight Laughing Shame but both are done for different reasons. They wont be top 10 again but if Chuck fights ill be more interested in Crocop because Chuck will go out there looking to KO or be KO'd,

Id actually think a Crocop Liddell fight would make sence for both men, Its obviously one of those superfights that was talked about a lot back in the Pride days. Liddell fought Overeem who is Much bigger than Crocop, Crocop has fought Wanderlei and smaller before. Why not let them fight if Crocop wins here. Whoever looses would probabally he happy to go out taken out by another Legend, Whoever wins has a big name win on his record and in Crocops case maby a bit of confidence restored.

Liddell will fight agiain by the way. I didnt watch that dancing show he was on but I heard he kept his weight to 215lbs during it... Maby I got that number wrong that doesnt look totally right but kept it low anyway. I supprised MMAbay didnt rumour thats why the Kimbo 215lbs catchweight is happening!! But theres another Idea? Winner of that vs Chuck?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 pm

CroCop lost his killer instinct for some reason. He used to circle people like a shark, gradually coming closer and throwing strikes, now he's so timid I almost can't believe what I'm watching.

I was floored by his fight with Dos Santos. No leg kicks? A verbal submission? I know CC has considerable flaws in his game, but he could've won if his head was in the right place.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 pm