THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Hank Scorpio
Shanemc
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Yvel in UFC

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Yvel in UFC Empty Yvel in UFC

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:41 pm

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9400&zoneid=13

Gilbert Yvel was apparently signed to UFC with the other Affliction fighters! Good news, Yvel is a good heavyweight in a devision that is getting stronger and stronger. Yvel has had his ups and downs in his MMA career, Some of his high points includin Pounding out Kongo in a close fight, he brutalised Pedro Rizzo in his last outing, and TKO'd Semmy Schilt... His KO record is very impressive 36 wins, 31 KO's (5 submissions!) Meaning every fight he has won he has finished.

I dont think he will be a top level fighter, Not a title contender by any means but put him in with Kongo, Hardonk, Barry hell even Crocop or Dos Santos and I think he stacks up very well against any other Heavyweight striker. Or him vs Kimbo would always work.. see who is really the bad boy of heavyweight MMA!

Good Job UFC thats another exciting heavy on the books... And again one I though they would sign, I always though such an explosive exciting figher who has such a bad ass image would suite UFC very well... Lets hope Big Dan doesnt make any bad stoppages in his fights or we will see another Ref get KO'd!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Yvel in UFC Empty Re: Yvel in UFC

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 pm

Good news, he is good fighter and exciting to watch. If the UFC market him properly he will be a draw. A Yvel-Kimbo fight will make money, although I hope thats kept on a FN event. Mazzaghati and Dan Mirgolita better watch out, Yvel isn't as forgiving as Lesner which tells you the whole story.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:21 am

good signing added bit more depth to the ufc heavyweight division but cant see him being better than a good gatekeeper imo
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Have read that this is not true, UFC have not picked up Gilbert Yvel's contract
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Yvel-JDS it is. Cool

Should be good one Twisted Evil
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 pm

He's an average fighter who's nothing more than a scumbag. Easy win for JDS. Won't really prove anything as far as he goes.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 am

Like i said in the calender thread i am shocked they signed him, guess that means Arlovski is Strikeforce bound if they couldnt get him. I wonder if many casual fans know about him and his controversial incident few years ago....

He is a good addition to UFC at this moment in time when they are struggling with many injuries, and would be easy to hype up with his 31 ko's and record.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:07 am

Dos Santos is going to sleep if he stands with him saying that from what I have read JDS ground game is OK not as great as some make out (Nog said he still needs to improve on the ground) so I wouldn't saying taking it to the ground is a great idea and Yvel is pretty underrated on the ground.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:34 am

I think JDS will win, Yvel is hit and miss, JDS is probabally that big quicked and better on the ground, I think he will get the sub.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm

I guess we will see how good that Purple belt of his is in BJJ, i dont think he should stand with yvel though, JDS may have big power and kickboxing backround but i think Yvel is a class above him in striking department. Yvel weakness is the ground game but he is not a complete novice in ground, even if JDS gets him down he wont be a cert to finish him on ground.

This is a very dangerous fight for JDS i think, his stock is very high in UFC atm, and he is fighting a (sort off) unknown fighter in the states, who is also very dangerous.

A win against Yvel would not really be that impressive for the casual fans in states.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Yvel vs Barry please
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Yvel is awful on the ground! Does no1 remember his fish out of water impression against Barnett?!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Yvel's power makes him a threat but he'll never be anything more than a gatekeeper at best, JDS should win this one.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:17 pm

A purple belt under Nog is probably more legit than most BB. Dos Santos is a better striker than Yvel, he just has power technichally he is horrible. Should be a good win for Dos Santos.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:26 pm

Yvel is the better striker for me, though i think JDS will still want to stand with him. If he does this could be a WAR.

Some nasty KO's here, paticularly the one on Semmy Schilt, and watching him KO people with open fist no glove smacks is incredible.

I think this is a very risky fight for Dos Santos, and Yvel is great signing for UFC.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:31 am

Affliction refugee Gilbert Yvel now has a home... the UFC.

When Affliction entertainment nailed up the shutters, the famed Dutch striker was left in limbo. He had been vocal about his UFC aspirations in the past, but nothing was set in stone until Gabriel Gonzaga was forced to withdraw from his bout at UFC 108, opposite rising contender Junior Dos Santos.

From there, negotiations sped up and the Pride veteran quickly inked a deal with the UFC to fill in for “Napao” for the televised portion of the Jan. 2 fight card.

His original bid for UFC stardom wasn't without its fair share of problems, but it's all smooth sailing now.

“It was difficult with all the problems we had in the past and I was just waiting for the chance,” Yvel commented in regards to contract negotiations due to his rocky past. Bad-boy antics in full swing overseas, “The Hurricane” is infamously known for his mid-fight confrontation with a referee in 2004, after refusing commands given by the official.

Since the incident, amongst others in his past, Yvel has received counsel and returned to the good graces of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The commission previously denied Yvel a standard license to compete due to his history.

Past indiscretions behind him, the 33-year-old is now primed for the big time.

“It's the biggest show in the world and it's like a dream for everybody,” Yvel said of the UFC while speaking with MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“This is like the highest point you can reach. It's still a little bit difficult to believe, but I am in the UFC.”

Having faced off against the likes of Cheick Kongo and Josh Barnett, and holding a recent first-round knockout victory over former UFC title challenger Pedro Rizzo, he will have no easy transition when he takes on one of the heavyweight division's elite in Dos Santos.

“What better way to prove myself than to knock out Dos Santos,” said the jiu-jitsu purple belt.

“He's a strong guy; he's a tough guy. If I play my game and I be relaxed, and listen (to my corner) through the whole thing, I won't, I hope there won't be no problems because he is a good fighter, but his stand-up game is not in my league.

“We can play that game all night. I don't see any trouble.”

Though fighting in the UFC for his first time to open the New Year, Yvel shows the kind of poise and confidence that a man of over 50 mixed martial arts fights should exude. It's an almost brutal honesty, which the kickboxing expert hopes to make Dos Santos realize on Jan. 2.

“For sure I'm going to knock him out,” said the Las Vegas resident. “I do MMA to knock somebody out, because then you know you won. He's on the ground. He's sleeping, you're standing, and it's better than after two rounds the judge says to tell you who is better.

“If I knock him out then I did my job and nobody can say anything.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10347&zoneid=1

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:32 pm