THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
Shanemc
The_Axe_Emperor
8 posters

Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5 Empty Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Dan Hardy's make-or-break fight in the UFC will not take place on home soil, ESPN can confirm.

Hardy has strung together three straight losses, against Georges St-Pierre, Carlos Condit and Anthony Johnson, to leave his UFC future in severe doubt. Defeat to Chris Lytle would surely see the Briton handed his marching orders by the UFC.

With so much riding on the bout, it was widely expected that Hardy would appear on the UK card, expected for October this year. However, the UFC has confirmed to ESPN that Hardy is heading for UFC Live in Milwaukee, where he will headline the card against Lytle on August 14.

UFC president Dana White said: "This is a great fight - two of the most exciting fighters in the welterweight division who've both got a lot on the line. Hardy has a fan friendly style and is looking forward to an all-out war. He actually asked Lytle for this fight because he wants to take on a guy who is known for having absolute wars.

"This is another very dangerous fight for Dan. Lytle has won the Fight of the Night bonus a record five times. He's also won KO of the Night and Submission of the Night twice, more bonuses than any fighter in the UFC.

"Both guys love to throwdown and got for it. This could be one of the best fights of the year and I'm pumped to see it."

Hardy added: "I'm very happy to get this fight, and I want to thank the UFC and Chris Lytle for making it happen. I was very disappointed by my last fight and was in the gym almost immediately. I've got the summer to improve my game and I'm very aware that Chris is as good with his submissions as he is his strikes. But it is exactly the fight I wanted, Chris is trying to finish you throughout the fight, and I'm ready for a blaze of glory.

"This is the kind a fight you can define your career around. You can guarantee Chris Lytle will bring it, that he will have an exciting fight. He's someone I have always respected because of his attitude. Everyone loves to watch this guy fight; the UFC, the fans and I bet especially his bank manager with all those Fight of the Night bonuses he gets.

"We're not high-ranking guys right now. A year or so ago I was at the top of the division, riding a four-fight win streak in the UFC. I never thought my UFC career would start like that. But that's a long time ago now, and now I've got it all to do again. But I'm ready for the challenge. I'm ready to claw my way up.

"This is no easy fight. Chris Lytle is no-one's idea of a one-dimensional slugger. He can submit you in a second, he's very good on the ground and striking. He's also a great athlete; he will try and push the fight for five minutes of every round. I'm excited for the fight.

"I am getting a place in Las Vegas and I'm training full-time with Roy Nelson and some of the best in the world. I used to split my time between LA and Nottingham, but there's more MMA in Vegas so me and my girlfriend are getting a place there. Roy is already adding things to my game but we've not scratched the surface of what he can teach me. He's a legitimate top contender as a heavyweight and a lot of people don't realize he's a great wrestler and a legitimate Renzo Gracie BJJ black belt."

Hardy has huge cojones taking this fight, Chris is a tough fighter to beat on any normal night, but Hardy will be riding a three fight losing streak into this, so a loss would surely mean he'd be cut. Kudos to Dan for not taking a step down in competition.

Hardy by UD, fingers crossed. I think his striking is too versatile for Lytle.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5 Empty Re: Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5

Post  Shanemc Wed May 11, 2011 5:21 pm

tough fight for both hardy is obviously technically better striking but lylte has big power and a good chin hardy will need to play this safe and use his jab and kicks and not brawl with lytle dont see either wanting to take it to the ground so i see fight of the night here
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5 Empty Re: Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle at UFC on Versus 5

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Great fight on paper and as you say credit to Hardy for taking a fight like this.

Really hope Hardy pulls out a win, I think he has a good chance in this one.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Wed May 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Don't think hardy will win this at all but you never know is best way is to do a bisping jab kick and move
    Good fight though
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Weird to think Hardy is probabally fighting for his job in this one, I think he is a good bit bigger and will probabally be able to bully Lyttle. Cant wait for this one, big fan of both men, hope they get FOTN so the looser wont get cut. Backing Hardy to get the job done by clintching a bit and throwing his weight around, Hardy UD, this might be one fight Hardy doesnt want to bang toe to toe.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 am

This will be a war. Fight of The Night written all over it. I think Hardy wins it.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 am

Can none of you see Lytle by sub? He's a scrapper and it's bound to hit the mat at some point during clinch/scuffles. Lytle has shown good BJJ and subbed a good few folk, and Hardy is evidently weak there.

Not saying i predict it'll happen, just it wouldn't overly surprise me.....

Also another fight that's been announced for this event is Jim Miller vs Ben Henderson

For me this should be the main event, as both fighters are much more relevant to their divisions that Lytle or Hardy, and the winner of this will at worst be in a No1 contender fight, or at best get a title shot.

How do you see it going? I'll take Miller by UD, i think he's hugely under-rated.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am

Hardy has shown he is hard to submit he is working with big country full time so will only get stronger in that area I fancy lytle at the moment,
    Miller henderson is headlining that event no doubt about it much bigger fight hard one to call I'm not sure like them both I edge to miller a little at this time
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 am

Ah cool i thought Hardy-Lytle was main, but it must be co-main.

I also am favouring Lytle slightly but should be a good one.

Think Miller-Hendo will be great too, and although i fancy Miller by UD it's fairly evenly matched.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu May 12, 2011 6:00 pm

mysterious pizza
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 12, 2011 8:31 pm

Lytle will need this to go to the ground IMO. I don't think he can beat Hardy standing at this time.

Hendo vs Miller is probably the best fight the UFC have made in a while. Really looking forward to it. Winner should be close to a title shot.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu May 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Rekon they will be right behind petis if he beats guida that card is weak by the way

Lylte was looking good up until ebersole
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm

I think Pettis will have a hard time with Guida. I thought Hendo beat him, think the judges were gave him too much credit for his flashy moves.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:48 am