THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

2 posters

Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo Empty Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:54 am

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/ishii-calls-it-quits-on-mma

Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo Ishii

Japanese judo star turned MMA fighter, Satoshi Ishii, has decided to call a halt to his MMA career and return to judo. The Japan Times reported the news of Ishii's exit, as he hopes to obtain a U.S. citizenship and represent the United States at the 2016 Olympic games in Rio. In fact, according to FightOpinion.com, additional Japanese reports claim that on Monday, Ishii decided to enter the upcoming 2011 USA Judo Senior National Championships event in Orlando on the 29th.

After winning a gold medal in judo at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, Ishii made the announcement of his plans to test himself in the sport of mixed martial arts. After being courted by promotions such as FEG, and even the UFC, Ishii signed with the Sengoku promotion in 2009. His MMA debut came against fellow Olympic judoka, Hidehiko Yoshida at a co-promoted K-1 Dynamite show on New Years Eve, after Sengoku's year end show was cancelled. Ishii was unsuccessful in his debut as he dropped a three round unanimous decision to Yoshida, but would bounce back with a four fight win streak that included victories over Minowaman, and Jerome Le Banner. Ishii leaves the sport with a professional record of 5-1.

This is really bad news....

he looked pretty crude, but the potential was obviously there...even though he wasnt a really exciting fighter, it was exciting to see a young world class judoka utilising his judo in MMA.

I think with a few more fights and a bit more training he could have been a contender.
    The guy is strong like an ox, he manhandled JLB and Minowaman (one being enourmous and one being a veteran grappler).

all the best, in all honesty i expect him to make the USA olympic team if he qualifies as american.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo Empty Re: Satoshi Ishii retired -> back to Judo

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm not to surprised he was ratings dud in Japan the Japanese just couldn't get behind him which is a shame considering the potential he had.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:48 pm