THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24 Empty After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24 Phil-davis-7

After winning his first four UFC fights, Phil Davis (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) earned a coveted spot in a main event. It's the first of his brief career – but likely not his last.

The 26-year-old has been on a meteoric rise after a seamless transition from collegiate wrestling star to full-time mixed-martial-arts fighter.

He gets his toughest test to date when he faces veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) Saturday at UFC Fight Night 24 in Seattle at KeyArena. The main card, including the Davis vs. Nogueira headliner, airs live on Spike TV.

Originally targeted for a UFC 129 matchup with Jason Brilz, Davis answered the call when Tito Ortiz pulled out of the fight with Nogueira due to injury. The opportunity to fight a bigger-name opponent on a more prominent platform was simply too good to pass up.

"To me, that just means I've got to sit in the locker room all night long and wait for my turn to do what I was going to do," Davis recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'd rather be in the third fight in, but whatever. It comes with the territory."

A win could position him on the doorstep of the upper tier in the light-heavyweight division. Some even have gone as far as to say he's the one who poses the most serious threat to newly crowned champion Jon Jones down the road if he continues his progression.

"It's exciting to know that it would put me in the mix with some bigger-name guys," Davis said. "Hopefully that's where I belong."

Looking past a dangerous opponent such as Nogueira would be a mistake. It's not one he will allow himself to make. Davis knows firsthand the type of skills he possesses. The pair has trained together previously in San Diego, albeit brief.

"It was a while ago," Davis said. "I trained with 'Big Nog' (Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira) a few times. I only got a chance to train with Rogerio maybe once or twice, which is neither here nor there.

"It sucks because in the MMA community it's so small that if you want to excel, you have to train with good people. But, it's also so small that you'll probably see those people later."

How much the knowledge attained on both sides from their previous encounters will play a role on fight night is a mystery.

Predictably, Davis is playing coy with regards to his game plan in an effort to keep everyone guessing.

"I told you guys I'm crazy," Davis said. "You never know what crazy people are going to do. You don't. You know they're going to be crazy. That's all you know. All you know about crazy people is you can expect not to know what they're going to do."

"Crazy" has been a frequently used adjective in news headlines recently to help describe now-infamous actor Charlie Sheen. Does this mean the two have something in common?

"He's not that crazy," Davis said. "He's probably to the point where he has enough money to live. He's comfortable without working. And he really doesn't care. He just wants to 'do Charlie.' Somebody calls him out by name, and he just wants to act crazy in public."

In other words, he's not truly crazy. He simply chooses to act that way from time to time. By his own analysis, that would make Davis crazier than Sheen.

On second thought, the way he's manhandled his competition in the octagon so far has been pretty crazy. The modified kimura he used to defeat Tim Boetsch at UFC 123 was crazy. His top-control wrestling game is and always has been crazy.

Maybe he's onto something here.

I'm hoping it's going to be another great night for another of my favourite new school stars.

cheers Mr Wonderful
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24 Empty Re: After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:21 pm

That guy truly is a freak of nature! Look at his shoulders they must be 3x his waist! Insane!

I think he has a bright future in the sport too, and hope he manages to get past lil nog who is on the way down like his brother i'd imagine.

In my opinion he lost to both Bader AND Brilz, so Davis should get the job done.

He also seems like a fun, down-to-earth guy, and adds a bit more entertainment with his interviews!!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24 Empty Re: After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Fighters like Jon Jones and Davis are the future of the sport IMO,they are just a bigger,stronger more athletic breed of fighter,who have an all round game and are still improving.

I could easily see thoughs two dominating the division,becoming the #1 and #2 in the division.

but Davis has a tough ask infront of him,against a guy with a ton of experiance,who himself has a pretty good all round game,but I have confidence and think he has the tools to pull it off.
    He'll be using lil Nog as a stepping stone to get to the matches against your Machida,Rampage,Shogun etc of the division.(hopefully Twisted Evil )
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah Nog is by no means a walk over and surely has the tools to beat Davis on the feet AND on the ground, but i think, looking at Nog's last 2 fights, a wrestler like Davis, who has a better ground game than Brilz, will get a UD in this fight.

I agree, in 3-4 years, Davis and JBJ will be top 2. I think JBJ would win if they were to fight (especially right now). I haven't seen enough of Davis' stand-up to know how he's evolving there, any ideas?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

I think he has a great personality and his game is very good everywhere,but his stand up is definitely his weakness,it isn't great,nowhere near lil Nogs level,he has good power and some descent kicks,but his punches look a little sloppy.

I would say that will definitely improve though,he's been working on his boxing and Muay Thai skills for the last few years,and he's got a good team around him to help with that.

I'm trying not to get to carried away with him,because he still has alot of proving to do,but from what I've seen of him,it's hard not to get abit carried away,He's a big strong athletic wrestler with a great ground game and he has showed some absolutely dominant control over people,but he is not close to what i'd describe as a boring wrestler,he's really impressed and entertained me everytime I've watched him..

Here's some Vid links from his debut and his UFC fights.

Phil Davis MMA debut

Phil davis vs Brain Stann
    http://www.mmavideofights.net/265/brian-stann-vs-phil-davis-video-ufc-109/

Phil Davis vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Couldn't find the Vid link for you,so this gif will have to do

After self-diagnosis, Phil Davis ready to go "crazy" at UFC Fight Night 24 28uljk4

Phil Davis vs Rodney Wallace

http://www.pancrase.org/phil-davis-vs-rodney-wallace-ufc-117/08-08-2010/

Phil Davis vs Tim Boetsch

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=1P1DJ29I
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

No TV and no beer make Phil Davis something something...
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Cheers for the links. His striking is a weakness for sure but as you say, it'll improve as i'm sure striking, muay thai and BJJ are mostly what he's working on, since the wrestling base is there.

I agree, he's exciting, and he shows that a fighter with a strong wrestling base and improving skills elsewhere does not need to LnP in order to be successful.

some other fighters should take note!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm