THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

BJJ in MMA

KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

BJJ in MMA Empty BJJ in MMA

Post  KalDog Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:54 pm

What about ya's
    BJJ in MMA, I love BJJ and wouldrather watch a rolling war than a stand up battle any day, who in your opinion has the best MMA based BJJ?

I'm thinking Maia or Jacare

would give honourable mentions to Nog, BJ etc but I think Maia and Jacare are the shit.

Plus, has anyone noticed the amount of "bjjblack belts" who's groundskills just don't cut it?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJJ in MMA Empty Re: BJJ in MMA

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:30 pm

i have noticed that too actually; Kang has lost 7 by submission, andy wang has 1 submission win and there are others. and yet guys like Nate Diaz submit people left and right and also centre, and he is only brown belt. I dont do bjj but is the lineage important could a brown belt under Cesar gracie in diaz beat Kang at grappling? maybe but then again he got controlled by joe stevenson.

aaanyway, i think the best BJJ in mma has to be Roger Gracie or Jacare. Galvao, Ribeiro also up there.

I dont know if he is a BJJ practitioner but Kitaoka has a sick ground game, also Fedor doesnt practice bjj but he has one of the best ground games.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Shit, forgot about Roger, but he needs to fight more.

I suppose it depends who is training you, seems that there are a lot of black belts that are under par or maybe that they just can't make it work for them in mma maybe
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:23 pm

I think Jaqcare in MMA, Maia looks up there too and Palhares BJJ looks top notch, I saw a video of him snapping someones leg and another one of him tapping two guys at once!!

I think there are people who have BJJ blackbelts that arent legit at all, Wanderlei Silva is certainly one of those. Ive not seen him pull out anything on the ground to suggest he is blackbelt level.... Maby they were handing them out a Chuteboxe one day!!! Who knows. I wonder who he earned it under because that really makes the difference.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Carlos Gracie -> Carlos Gracie jr. -> Wanderlei Silva

lol thats about as legit as it gets in terms of lineage. He doesnt have alot of submission wins, but i think he is a legit blackbelt, he had Yoshida and Sakuraba (i think) in very bad positions on the ground, and hasnt been submitted in what, 45 fights? And hes been in with some of the best sub guys in mma, or at least the best out of japan.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:31 pm

but then again just looking as Carlos jr's wikipedia he has given out probably more than 100 blackbelts so who knows?
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Exactly, who would you rate as the best trainer ben?
    I would go for Cesar.

It shouldn't make different who trains you, if you're a black belt you should be of a high standard (although this is not always the case)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 am

Xande Ribeiro has the best BJJ of any fighter in MMA IMO. He's just incredible. Maia, Jacare and Palhares would all be in the discussion though.

Saulo Ribeiro is, for me, the best coach. And his lineage is nearly impossible to beat, Helio Gracie-Royler Gracie-Saulo.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:56 am

Vinny Magalhaes (the guy from TUF that said Nog doesnt have world class BJJ) is very talented at grappling and submissions also has some serious accomplishments,

In Gi BJJ tournaments he is a three time world champion in the heavy weight, super heavy weight, and absolute divisions. He is a two time Brazilian National Heavy weight champion, a six time Rio De Janeiro State Champion in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005.He is also the US Open Champion and 2007 Grapplers Quest West Coast Champion. In 2007 Vinny also became the North American Tournament Champion in no gi submission grappling. Vinny is also the winner of the Pan-American Grappling Championship.

Too bad he sucks at MMA though.... lol!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:59 am

This little girl deserves a mention too cheers

Maia lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content