THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
rudeboyben84
8 posters

UFC 109 in Dublin???

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 109 in Dublin??? Empty UFC 109 in Dublin???

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_109

Anyone know if this is true? I cant wait to get back to a UFC event over here! I really really really hope some decent home grown fighters get a chance. Last time they let ur man Tom the Tank someone fight and he is shit, I saw him fight on the same card as my Brother and he got beat down my some 5 foot polish guy!

Stevie Lynch, Colin Robinson... we havnt exactly done ourselves justice as a nation of scappers. For a tiny country were always taking medals in the olympics at Boxing, and they dont say fighting Irish for nothing!! Were well overdue a decent figher to represent us!
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC 109 in Dublin??? Empty Re: UFC 109 in Dublin???

Post  Shanemc Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:20 pm

please let this be true i missed the last one that was here wont be missing this one
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:21 pm

I want to see rudeboyben's brother fight in the UFC! seriously though, is he any good?

Egan is the irish guy your thinking of and he get destroyed by posh boy john hathaway!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes its true and there will also be a UFC event in Sydney Australia.

I am definatly going to 109, i went the last time there were in Dublin and had a really good time.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:25 pm

I think you'll end up with these pseudo-Irish fighters like Marcus Davis, Forrest Griffen and maybe even Rich Franklin filling the card and "representing" Ireland.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Dunno if it's true, think it might be just rumours. Dana said he wanted to have the next event in Ireland around Paddy's day.

I hope there's no Irish fighters on the card. They're an embarrassment. Tom the Tank is the WORST fighter i've ever seen. Did anyone see him in the paper?? He said he was cut because of the recession and that Dana had been very impressed by his performances and told him he had what it takes to be a future LW champion!? Hilarious. Tim Sylvia has more chance of being a LW champion!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Well I know better fighers that Tom the Tank so If they give him a shot im sure that they will stick an Irish figher or two on the undercard.

My Brother was county antrim champ and Ulster champ in Amature boxing and was asked to go to Breens Gym to go Professional. Breens is the gym that Eammon Mcgee and Martin Rogan fight out of. He took the MMA fight for a payday really, it was on sky sports and all! He stormed in and backed the other fighter up dropping him but then he followed him to the ground to finish he ended up getting cought in a choke he had no idea how to get out of! He was only 18 at the time, Ill say this though MMA training or not Id bet a months wages he would punch a hole in Thoman the tank Eggan! lol!

I really want to see some Irish fighters getting a chance because I know there are some decent fighers about and Tom the tank and Colin "I cant take a leg kick" Robinson were such poor representitives of out country!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Sounds like your brother just needs to learn to sprawl and he should do ok.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Haha yeah mate! He actually got Very good at Kickboxing (coming 2nd to my Striking coach in a tournament) and got a belt in Judo as well as really taking off at BJJ, he would be a great MMA figher now but he far rathers Boxing and has to 100% comit himself to one or the other.

I think in a way your build determins what you will excel at. Tall broad and ragey is likely to make you a striker and having no flexability in his Legs boxing was his sport by default I guess! lol. Also he can cut rediculous amounts of weight and went down to Welter (being 6foot and Built like an upside down triangle! Like Paul "Punisher" Williams), theres no money in the lower weights in MMA anyway compared to boxing!

I hate watching wrestlers as a style but Its what Im best at I could get on top in Sidemount against out BJJ coach as well as get top position on a few bigger fighters when I was training regularly. I think being stocky but Flexable made me better at Wrestling.

Do you think you Build influences what style you do? Anderson Silva is a steriotypical striker, Matt Hughes is a steriotypical wrestler etc.. I read an article on it in fighters only as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Yeah i do tend to agree. If i'd grown up in America i'd have been a wrestler, if i'd grown up in Russia i'd have done Sambo. But since Ireland had neither in the late 80's i took up Judo. I tried to be a striker, i went to TKD and Karate for years but i never felt comfortable from a punching point of view. Kicks were grand. I'm not doing anything at the moment after getting my back fixed but i'm planning on going back to Karate when i'm able to. Machida has inspired me.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 am

Shit, is anybody else on this Forum not Irish?

I reckon the demographic on here is about 60% Irish, 38% Scottish and then me.

My wife's Irish though so I'm planning to suggest we go visit her family, and then tell her when we land that I'm actually going to 109 and she's on her own for the night I love you
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 am

first post!

woop woop!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm not irish!!

(both my parents are though! and i lived there for a year as a boy)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Rumours now are that 109 will take place in Virginia and with 110 set for Vegas and 111 rumoured for Australia, i think 112 will be in Dublin around Paddy's day.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Wiki now has UFC 109 in Vegas, Ufc fight night on paddy's day in dublin.

I'm depressed Crying or Very sad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm

A fight night? That won't draw a full house unless they do a big main event the way they did with UFN Silva vs Irwin.

Also worth noting that Wiki no longer has Anderson Silva vs Vitor at 108.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 pm