THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
GSPfan11
6 posters

UFC PPV Figures

GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

UFC PPV Figures Empty UFC PPV Figures

Post  GSPfan11 Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Hey guys

Been browsing the BBC 606 and got talking to a guy on the boxing forum - ray jones his name is. Really anti mma guy (typical boxing 606 poster) and he seems quite certain that ufc lies about there ppv sales for whatever reason. He seemed to think it was a fact rather than general opinion.

Don't wish to sound like a complete tool but what would be the reasons for them to lie? I just don't see how it can help the company unless it's just Dana trying to feed his own ego.

Anyway you all seem to no alot more than most (except anfield tongue) so just wanted your opinion on this and if there's any truth in it?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC PPV Figures Empty Re: UFC PPV Figures

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm

I assume you mean they all know less than me....................this is true.

UFC sometimes does fudge the numbers a little bit but the PPV numbers are announced by independent sources moreso than the UFC themselves.

Basically, any UFC event will do 300,000-600,000 unless Lesnar on the card and the pro wrestling fans tune in and push it to 1,000,000 or more. Lesnar is BY FAR the biggest draw in the UFC, drawing well over twice what anyone else can manage despite Dana's retarded claim that GSP was a close second.

Boxing only draws when Mayweather or Manny are fighting now. With De La Hoya retired and the only two good fighters at HW(The Klitschkos) refusing to fight in America, boxing PPV figures have plummetted.
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Ofcourse that's what I meant.

So it's not down to Dana or anyone else trying to rub boxings nose in it?

Let's be fair the k-brothers couldn't sell in America because they are more effective than sleeping tablets. Wladimir was on ringside last week did you see him? Came across as a bit of a prick to me, but then again he was slagging off haye so we'll let him off!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm

boxing is just jelous, dont get me wrong im a boxing fan but any young lad that can throw a punch wants to be in mma now, my gym i train in mma at also had a boxing class every tuesday and thursday now they only do thursday because alot of the guys now train with us on monday and wednesday.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Personally if it was me and I could pursue a career in either I'd choose boxing. I prefer to watch MMA and i do enjoy training in different aspects, but if i was the right age and had the right skillset i'd go with boxing.

GSP, I think Dana still loves boxing. Without boxing he'd just be an irrelevant dickhead still living in his mothers spare room in Boston. I don't think he has much control over the numbers. If he did I'm sure every card would come out with bigger numbers. Lesnar is the draw, only 2 people draw more than him right now, Floyd and PacMan.
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:46 pm

There does seem to be alot of jealous boxing fans out there. I got a mate who won't watch ufc or any mma event coz he says his 1st love is boxing. Fucking tool he is. I like pretty much any combat sport, I only go to the ice hockey games when I think there'll be a fight.

Another question maybe anfield can answer when ufc announce there ppv figures do they take into account how many uk fans are watching on espn?

If I was a kid growing up and had to choose a sport to go into it would be mma as I feel the more the sport grows the more exposure it gets will benefit the fighters financially. However if I new no matter which sport I went into I was going to be a superstar I'd choose boxing as the money some fighters earn in 1 fight is huge compared to mma fighters
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm not 100% sure, as far as I know it's only people who actually pay for the PPV in the states. I don't think it takes ESPN viewers in the UK and Ireland into account but I couldn't say for definite.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Boxing is in such a bad pittiful state now, the only fights i would be remotely interested in now is Mayweather-Manny and Haye against either Klitschko.

I remember the good old days of Boxing in the 90's and early 2000's Crying or Very sad Those were the days. Not this garbage of watching the Klitschko's fight the mug of the month and watching Haye and Valuev sent 90% of the audience to sleep.... Evil or Very Mad
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:58 pm

The figures dont take into account the ESPN figures, but does take into account international PPV buys, from UFC website.

Canada is by far the biggest demographic for PPV buys for the UFC. Lorenzo calls it the "Meccah of MMA".
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:07 am

Cheers brownpride.

It is a shame about boxing, the standard has slipped a bit in boxing I'd say. Always hard to compare current fighters with previous fighters but when you got the likes of b-hop and mosley still involved in some of the biggest fights you no your in trouble. If it wasn't for pacman boxing would be fucked!

Where's the next barrera or morales trilogy or the gatti's of this world gone?

Audley Harrison in a world title fight says it all!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 am

i would definitley pick MMA to go into if i were to pick one.

i guess the top boxing guys make more, but if you are good MMA fighter you will make a living for sure....with less chance of getting punch drunk.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:55 am

if people didnt stream live events then ufc and boxing figures would shoot through the roof.
    Ronwah
    Ronwah
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Ronwah Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 pm

If the UFC didn't do decent numbers on their PPV's they would have abandoned the model and pursued a major network deal in the states sooner. Plus, they don't actually disclose figures, they are industry guesstimates. Then you need to remember that some fighters get a percentage of the PPV buys, so there would be major legal ramifications if they were to inflate/deflate any numbers.

But hey, it's the fight game and it's not the cleanest (boxing included) so who knows?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Ronwah wrote:Plus, they don't actually disclose figures, they are industry guesstimates.

UFC don't disclose them, the PPV carrier does.
    Ronwah
    Ronwah
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Ronwah Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:
    Ronwah wrote:Plus, they don't actually disclose figures, they are industry guesstimates.

UFC don't disclose them, the PPV carrier does.

Is that a definite? It's normally just from places like MMA Payout and the Wrestling Observer.
    Ronwah
    Ronwah
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Ronwah Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 pm

Just to clarify, the only reason I question that is if that was the case then there would be no need for these other sites to speculate on buyrates based on trends etc. I am pretty sure that the UFC ppv buyrates are neither disclosed by Zuffa or the PPV carrier.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Carrier has to disclose.

Sites speculate until the figures are announced.
    Ronwah
    Ronwah
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Ronwah Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Carrier has to disclose.

Sites speculate until the figures are announced.

Any links to the official figures then mate? It's not that I don't believe you, but as long as I can remember the UFC PPV buyrates have always been estimates. I've never seen a single official figure.

http://mmapayout.com/2009/12/ufc-establishes-new-mark-for-ppv-buys-in-2009/

Read that, especially the last bit.

4.) There’s been some criticism of Dave Meltzer’s PPV estimates lately, but he’s always maintained that they’re just estimates and susceptible to inaccuracies - sometimes a number will change by as much as 10%. To his credit, he often follows up to change a number when a better estimate is reported.

Regardless, even if you take +/- 10% range on each of the yearly totals, the lower 2009 estimate is still large enough to beat the upper limit of what 2008 could have possibly done.

Now if the figures eventually get published, surely they wouldn't put a disclaimer on the PPV numbers for a calender year?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:44 am