THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Batista close to Strikeforce deal

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Batista close to Strikeforce deal Empty Batista close to Strikeforce deal

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Half-Pinoy wrestling star Batista confirms jump to MMA

abs-cbnNEWS.com
    Posted at 10/19/2010 10:09 PM | Updated as of 10/19/2010 11:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- The time has come for another “actor” to step out of the spotlight and get real.

Former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) combatant Batista finally declared that his deal with mixed martial arts (MMA) promoter Strikeforce is nearly sealed.

"We're real close. We actually agreed on a number last week and we're sorting stuff out," said the half-Filipino-half Greek former pro wrestler in an interview with DC 101, a Washington DC-based radio show.

Batista, whose real name is David Bautista Jr., said that his MMA debut will probably start early next year.

"We should have a deal real soon. Hopefully, I'll be fighting in March," the 41-year-old bodybuilder-actor said.

In an MMAfighting.com article, a Strikeforce spokesperson confirmed that there has been ongoing dialogue between sides. He, however, said Batista remains unsigned.

A logical move

Batista believes he has what it take to survive in MMA, citing that he had trained in the Filipino martial art, Kali. He added that he also tried out Muay Thai and worked on his ground game.

"The grind of professional wrestling, there is nothing is more brutal," he said. "I told my mom I wanted to get into fighting. She was scared to death. I said, 'Mom, the last few years I was an inch away from breaking my neck every night and now you're worried about me being punched in the face?'"

He said several issues with WWE have prompted him to leave the company, and venturing into MMA was more of a logical move.

In WWE, he became a 6-time World Champion. Batista was also declared winner of WWE's 2005 Royal Rumble match.

Batista said he and Strikeforce had talked about him possibly making his debut in Washington DC. The promotion has yet to run an event in the northeast US.

Batista is the latest wrestler to leave pro wrestling for MMA. Other former WWE stars who jumped into the MMA scene are Bobby Lashley and current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. -- With a report from Mike Chiappetta, MMAFighting.com
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Batista close to Strikeforce deal Empty Re: Batista close to Strikeforce deal

Post  the_king Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

cannot ever see him being relevant. his training diaries look awful.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:27 am

Batista is a beast, I doubt Fedor could beat John Cena.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:30 am

mikeyboybisping wrote:Batista is a beast, I doubt Fedor could beat John Cena.

not if a cena win is written in the script.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:58 am