THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Overeem passes drug tests

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Overeem passes drug tests Empty Overeem passes drug tests

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 am

When it comes to performance-enhancing drugs in sports, everyone is a suspect. We've long since passed the time when there was a presumption of innocence in sports: If you do something extraordinary -- if you get bigger, stronger and faster -- plenty of people are going to suspect you of cheating.

But some athletes are suspected more than others, and Alistair Overeem was suspected more than anyone else in mixed martial arts. He got bigger, stronger and better while fighting in Japan (where they don't test fighters for drugs), and by the time he returned to fight in the United States again this month, it was taken as a given in some MMA circles that he was cheating.

Now, however, Overeem has taken a drug test. And it came back clean.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Loretta Hunt of Sherdog that Overeem has tested negative for anabolic steroids and drugs of abuse. Strikeforce independently tested Overeem and other fighters, separate from the tests imposed by the Missouri Office of Athletics. Missouri hasn't released results of its own tests, and it's not clear whether Overeem was subjected to a second test by the commission.

But it is clear that Overeem can now point to Coker's exoneration as a strong statement in his defense.

So does that mean Overeem never should have been subject to those cheating allegations in the first place? I don't know.

Overeem certainly does fail the eyeball test -- he's big and muscular, and he looks like what we all suspect drug cheats look like -- but then again the eyeball test isn't particularly helpful. Floyd Landis doesn't "look like" a drug cheat, but he was one. And there are hundreds of NFL players who "look like" drug cheats -- men who are bigger and stronger than Overeem -- but have managed to pass all of the NFL's drug tests, which are more stringent than those of American MMA promotions and athletic commissions.

Overeem can't do anything to prove he's clean, because you can't prove a negative. All he can do is take the drug tests he's asked to take. He did that this month. That doesn't mean he's not a suspect, because everyone is a suspect. But Overeem tested clean.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/05/21/everyones-a-suspect-but-alistair-overeem-tested-clean/
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Overeem passes drug tests Empty Re: Overeem passes drug tests

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon May 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Innocent untill proven guilty then! I think its getting a bit long i nthe tooth now, I dont care if he is drugged up to his eyeballs, because he has stopped whatever he was going now and you cant hold someones past against them if they test clean...

For example Lesnar was far bigger and more ripped in WWE but joins MMA and when he starts getting drug tested goes the way of Overeem... drops some Muscle mass...

Lets be honest they were both Juicing but both stopped to beat the tests... then again I dont know how much proof Scott Cokers tests are! Laughing
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I promise not to call him Overroid anymore Razz

Lets face he probably was/is juicing, but also even some of the UFC guys that dont fight in Japan are cycling some aswell.

Prime suspects- GSP, Sherk, Marquardt, Lesnar, Carwin, Mir.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon May 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Man I just don't know, you have got to remember these guys are training 2 - 3 times a day and they are hard sessions, their guna get big... I've seen footage over Overeem power lifting aswell that guna add a hell of alot of size to his frame... but then the mind does wonder how can they train like this constantly with taking something to keep the aches and pains away?

I like Overeem, and if he has done his weight gain naturally fair fucks to the guy he looks awesome!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:40 pm

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:43 pm

so there is no truth in the name overoid?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Seemingly not, neither is there any truth in the name Roidereem.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:37 am