THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Once Mohawked Pete
GSPfan11
Bulldog67
7 posters

Last nights UFC

Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Last nights UFC Empty Last nights UFC

Post  Bulldog67 Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Firs 3 fights on the main card - quality quality:

Not watched the prelims yet but Sanchez v Melendez was a proper tear-up fight, kinda fight where I had to drag my 4 boys out of the garden and sit them down to watch it all again. TBH I cant stand Sanchez and his 'im so intense BS' but it turned that fight into something memorable. Only worry was that Sanchez sounded like a 60yr old punch drunk boxer at the end of the fight

Dodson has some big power, despite Montague having some rapid recovery there was only ever one winner.

Gonzaga can bang, but I was amazed they had him as an underdog against someone as raw as Jordan.

Then the disappointing fights:

Cromier v Nelson - I know DC had his moments of excitement in strikeforce but man alive is he a boring fuck - easy win tho as Nelson has turned into a 'lets hope I land a haymaker' fighter.

Cain v JDS - I know it wont get agreement from everyone but Cain is as dull as DC, when those two spend 5 rounds humping each other against the fence I will be overusing the caffeine to stay awake. He is also lucky that a ref lets him get away with all that head butting he does from an inch away from the other fighters head.

Anyway, great main card, I probably wouldnt have been so bored with Cain if i hadnt had to sit through Crmoiers masterclass in tedium
    GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Last nights UFC Empty Re: Last nights UFC

Post  GSPfan11 Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Mate I gota be honest I think the same RE Cain. Although I gota question what the hell JDS was doing in letting him continually back him up against the fence so effortlessly. I get that with the cage behind him it made fending off takedowns more easy, but to often he'd let Cain smother him without trying to punch him whilst Cain came forward. I know its hard to criticize JDS after showing so much heart but it looked like he was trying to almost let Cain tire himself out? Or he was pacing himself? Either way surely his best chance of winning was catching Cain, preferably early and knocking him out!

Dana had a great point about him being to tough for his own good, I get that his corner must have been hoping for 1 big punch to turn the fight but I was looking for them to pull him out. If they'd got him out of there JDS could have saved face, and maybe with another couple of wins came back to fight Cain again.

Also when he hurt Cain towards the end of the 1st why not go after him with everything? He'd obviously lost the Rd he wobbles him with an elbow throws 1 punch then stands off? Even if he'd been taken down by over commiting to his attack Cain would have had no time to do anything. I just can't help feeling even tho he got cometely dominated he could have done more to give himself the best chance of winning!

I can't agree about Diego, I love that guy! A 5 rd fight would have been fantastic. Both guys need massive respect for last night. Gil could easily have taken an easy points win but wanted a tear up. And Diego just never fails to deliver a good fight. When he got cut I thought man they should cut this guy before he enters the cage coz it just turns him into some crazy lunatic. I was screaming for more kicks to the body as I think he hurt Gil but still fantastic performance from both.

Can't be bothered to bore you all with my thoughts on other fights, but a great card all in all.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Have to put up some sort of defence with regards to both Cain and DC.

IMO, both fought the fights needed to win, JDS has amazing one punch power, but Cain's cardio and intensity is off the charts, I've said this before, if you want non stop tear ups, watch boxing or Kickboxing, this is MMA, and all styles hold an interest for me. It's not as if either fighter was trying to avoid fighting, just fighting a clever fight.

I thought last nights card was one of the best UFC events for donks. Delivered in all areas for me. Agree with Sanchez sounding like a punch drunk 60 year old, and he must have been a bit punchy, as he seemed to genuinely think he won.

The undercard and prelims showed some huge promise in both Horiguchi and Fili (brilliant nickname), Amagov looked a beast and I look forward to him stepping up a level. I thought that Kaufman/Eye decision could have gone either way, but the Boetsch/Dolloway decision was very poor IMO. Impressed with Dodson again, as well as Lombard.

I really cannot see anyone troubling Cain for a while, would like to see Werdum test his sub game, but not so sure that Cain would make the same mistake that Fedor did, and really cannot see Werdum taking him down.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Enjoyed the card easily the best MMA card of the year but I do think the reaction to Gil-Diego is a bit OTT don't get me wrong It was a great fight easily FOTY but hearing Rogan & White calling It the greatest MMA fight of all time Is way over the top to me.

Lombard looked very good as Horiguchi & Amagov all impressive finishes of course should add Gonzaga too that finish surprised me I'll be honest I thought Jordon was going to do what Gonzaga ended up doing to him.

The Cain JDS fight went exactly how I expected, It was essentially the same as the 2nd fight but with the Finish. Not sure what to make of the Werdum-Cain fight TBH I'm expecting another wall & stall effort from Cain just pressure against the cage and being very safety first...Just like DC who just looked like he was fighting to get W from the get go, I didn't expect him to do anything other the be cautious which is understandable considering what Roy is capable of.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:41 pm

That was the best UFC card of all time,13 great fights.Hardly spent any time in my seat,I'm still buzzing.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed what I saw, Melendez-Sanchez was great, but surely no better than many other slug fests??
    I find it hard to warm to Cain, appreciate comment about it being MMA not kickboxing, and he certainly works his game plan out well, but I agree that his head rubbing often looks like head-butting....either way from a personal standpoint I find it a bit off putting, a bit like smothering a guys mouth/nose with a hand. Legal I know, but still.....!
    I was thinking that I have no real interest in seeing JDS get beat on AGAIN, but I can't see Werdum pulling a Fedor moment out of the bag with Cain, who else could would be a credible opponent do you guys think?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm

On about opponents for Cain (with mates), just last night. I really, cannot see anyone, currently in UFC, that I would back against Cain at the moment. You look at the rankings, JDS- Comprehensively beaten in last 2 against Cain, Cormier - Won't fight Cain, Big Foot - Lost even more convincingly in his last 2 against Cain, Hapa - Was on the verge of losing to Overoid, until catching him, and I cannot see him living with the pace of Cain (although he does have the one-punch power to trouble him), Werdum certainly has the ground game, but I think that Cain would have to get sloppy to get caught (plus we haven't seen anything of Cains ground game, although he has BJJ black belt).

The likes of Barnett, Hunt, Gonzaga, Overoid, Nog and Mir, would surely be demolished. The only other that I could see getting some sort of a shot, would possibly be Miocic (although I reckon he's a few fights off that yet). I would like to see Werdum test Cain's ground game, although as has been mentioned, I see a Wall & Stall type game from Cain, I wonder how much talent there is outside of UFC? I know that there's some noises being made about the Russian contingent (Volkov, Minakov) and Ivanov, the Bulgarian dude that (almost unbelievably) had a punctured heart caused by a knife wound, on a year and a half ago, would be (IMO) a great addition to UFC, does anyone else see any new additions coming through, or anyone they think could pose a challenge to Velasquez?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Gil vs Diego was better than Hendo vs Shogun for me. Gil doesnt diserve the critism ive heard on some websites for not dominating Diego because at 155 Deigo is a top level figther no doubt about it. Gils range on his Hooks and Elbows is something that really impressed me, he can stretch those hooks out some distance and still have a big impact behind them.

Deigo vs Nate Diaz and Gil leapfrogging TJ for the title shot I say.

Cain is a beast, he looked like he could Kill JDS at some point. Im not fussed about the headbutting being a little unsportsmanly, ive seen worse in title fights, Evander Holyfield isnt known as a dirty fighter and he made a career of headbutting and hitting after the bell!

I think its too early to say he has cleared out a devision and there are no challenges left for him. Werdum doesnt have a hope though, He cant take Cain down and Cain will batter him standing. I think someone like Overeem or Hunt landing a good KO shot will be the way we see him lose. Barnett wont hang with him because he couldnt hang with Cormier but Browne might land a good enough shot. Ill never forget about Kongo rocking Cain to his boots so I expect the fighter to beat him to be a striker, even if it isnt JDS. I hope Junior keeps him chin up and comes back better.

Lombard will be a contender at 170, he has called out Kim and also said he will fight ellengerger.

Gonzaga is one to watch, Ive always though he had the skills to get to the top, BJJ BB, upper limits of the weight class, Powerfull kicks and good wrestling but his Striking (his hands in particular and defensive boxing) really let him down. He was Winning against Werdum and Carwin before they turned it around and I think he is a better fighter today. The Schaub loss was a disgracefull showing so he really needs to avenge that one, after that maby I can finally see Gonzaga vs Bigfoot! Twisted Evil 
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:59 pm

I understand your thoughts about Cains chin Ben, but, let's face it, any HW lands a clean shot, and another HW could crumble. The bottom line is, he immediately (in the Cheik fight) shot for the legs and hit wrestling mode. The reality is, he has one ko defeat to his name, and that was against the best striker in HW MMA (and even then, it wasn't an immediate 'lights out' ko, it was more of an equilibrium shot behind the ear. I really don't see either Overoid or Hunt holding more than a 'punchers chance' against Cain. Yes, I understand that he has been 'wobbled' but, I think it would be harsh to think that based on the couple of occasions he's been rocked, that he's vulnerable (certainly not more than any other HW).

Definitely agree that Lombard has to be a challeneger, and that Diego is still a top fighter at 155 (I actually though a few years ago, that he'd be the one to dethrone BJ at 155). With regards to the slug-fest itself, I still prefer the Hendo/Shogun fight, just because it really could have gone either way, whereas the Gil/Diego fight, as fun as it was, was essentially a fight that Gil was clearly winning, bar one shot in the 3rd. I suppose it's all about opinions though, and speaking of which, where in the name of fuckery, has Anfield gone?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Diego could be top 5 in a stacked devision, his smaller reach and lack of speed carrying excess fat at 170 really highlighted that he isnt an accurate striker but at 155 he is a different animal. I will always love him because I watched an event with my brother back at my mums house and he made her say "Gosh this is awfully exciting" when he was toe to toe with Guida! Laughing

I honestly though he was going to get a TKO in the 3rd rounds, those body kicks took their toll then he dropped Gil standing and I though it was going to be an epic comeback but for Shogun vs Hendo the last round especially I could have slept through.

I dont mean to Shit on Cains chin either, I used to call him Chinny but I totally take that back. He doesnt have a GREAT chin, even his best fan will say this because we have seen him rocked a fair bit. Im only pointing it out because I dont see someone out wrestling him, and I dont see anyone subbing him because he isnt getting taken down by anyone at Hw. So a standing KO has gotta be the best bet surely? Not that that is easy either because he dropped Junior in an standp up fight, his striking is top level, his Chin just isnt.

Wonder wether Lombard is a big enough fight to bring Diaz out of retirement? Id love to see him smash Rory Mac!

No idea about Anfield, he wasnt on Facebook I dont think so he could have dropped of the edge of the earth for all I know!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am