The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Does anybody hear train? And other stuff......

KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Does anybody hear train? And other stuff......

Post  KalDog on Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey,

So I know we are all into mma in a big way on here but do any of you train? If so where and who with?

I boxed as a soldier then split my time between Billy Murrays pro kick (don't think it's open anymore) and Gracie Barra at the valley leisure centre in north Belfast/Newtownabbey, until I had to have restabilisation surgery on my right knee.

Now I train at Stealth BJJ in Oldham as I've moved to Greater Manchester. I train under Steve Campbell who is a black belt under Carlos Gracie.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Does anybody hear train? And other stuff......

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Stopped all training in my late teens,went off the rails for a good while.
    Eventually sorted my shit out,got married,had two kids and started a fresh in the states.

I Used to box at Draycott boxing club until they closed it down and practice lau Gar and goya ra ru,also played loads of football,but now I'm just an armchair fan of the sports I love and love watching my kids try their hands at sports.

My daughter 13,plays volley ball and has been at Karate for 7 years and my boy 9,has been at karate for 5 years,but wrestling is what he loves.
    He came 2nd in a NC state under 85lb championship a few months back. cheers proper proud dad.
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Wed May 22, 2013 7:41 pm

My wee lad just turned 5 and he's started bjj, he loves it, picks up the techniques but still has to learn to grow a pair when it comes to sparring.

I love training, I love watching my boy train also.

It's great that some parents encourage there kids to take up a sport. I'm afraid the world will be full of Xbox fatties that have no social skills, drive or life!!!
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm

FYI Rosi Sexton trains at the same bjj place as me......

Pretty cool
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:09 pm

I'd like to see her do well on Saturday,but really,I think she is out sized and out gunned in this one.
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Tend to agree my friend, but still ripping Stealth BJJ
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Havnt trained in years now, well and truely an Armchair fan now, got the speedbag and heavybag out the back im always rattling away on but havnt trained in a few years. Ive trained at both the Valley (BJJ) and under Billy at Prokick...  Jack of all trades really. You ever train at Frames or know of anyone who did? There was a great Muay Thai class there and an MMA gym but it closed a few months ago. Thats where I spent most of my time training martial arts, they have produced a few good local fighters.

My Son is turning 4 in August, Ive had him hitting pads, getting the basics of boxing but ill be bringing him to Judo or something at 5 I think. Some clubs say 6 is the youngest they take kids for martial arts.
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 pm

How didn't we bump into each other? I used to go to Prokick and The Valley, before The Valley it was at the uni.

Not sure if I know anyone from Frames, the club website hasn't been updated in yonks......

I do remember getting blocked and booted out of frames a few times but
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Was only at the Valley Twice, was about 2 years ago. Bumped into a kid I beat up in school who was now 100lbs heavier and a head taller than me who tried to pull my limbs off! Good craic though.

Prokick I went to when I was about 14 so were talking 15 years ago!

Frames had the Muay Thai Gym run by Frankie (last name escapes me) but twice a week they had an MMA class, ran by Eoin Wilson, Paddy Ritchie and Mark Uprichard.. They started as Thaijutsu to have a lot of links to the Queens Thaijutsu guys if you know any of them?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm