THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
Ginginho
8 posters

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight?

Poll

What would you want to see in UFC?

[ 1 ]
    Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? I_vote_lcap17%Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? I_vote_rcap [17%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? I_vote_lcap83%Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? I_vote_rcap [83%] 

Total Votes: 6
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? Empty Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight?

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 pm

I hear talk of UFC bringing in a 115lbs devision. 9 of the 10 top 115ers are Japanese and 7 out of 10 fight in Shoto or Pancrase. Only 2 out of the 10 are under 28.

Doesnt seem like a lot of hope for UFC making a strong devision.

Shw is the only other weight class UFC dont have and the case for not having it is that there isnt much tallent, It would be a weak devision.

Id say 115 would be the weakest devision anyway, maby a TUF to round up a few good Americans and Brazilians because a lot of Japanese fighters are intent on staying in Japan.

Shw doesnt have much tallent either but there are Hw's with no chance of a Title shot who could go there. Hunt has weighed over 265, Carwin and Mir have both had to cut to 265 though both have bulked down. Bigfoot has to keep the weight off to be a Hw, he was up near 300lbs before.

Lavar, Gonzaga, Browne, Nelson, Struve when he is older, maby Rothwell. There are guys within 10lbs of the limit who could go up easily who arent winning the title soon.

Outisde the UFC there is

Soa Palelei
    Sylvia
    Schilt
    McCorkle
    Guilherme "Guigao" dos Anjos (10-1, 0 decisions)
    Mondragon
    Mighty Mo
    Pele might have a fight left in him? Is he retired?
    Jeremy Norton (14-6, 0 decisions)
    Wes Shivers (8-1, 0 decisions)
    James Thompson
    Alexandru Lungu (9-2, 0 decisions)
    Lyubomir Simeonov (3-0, 0 decisions)
    Ryan McGowan (3-1, 0 decisions)

Bellator have a few who were Shw in Prindle, who is the Biggest Hw in MMA I reckon, Sparks and Thiago Santos... they could be poached maby?

Seriosly Id rather see these big less tallented guy produce a load of 1st round finishes than 8 stone Japanese guys I dont know fail to produce finishes time after time.

Im for a Shw devision, I honestly think its a better Idea than Womens or 115lbs devisions though I can see how some guys might give it a bad Image, Nelson would suddenly in good shape by comparison.

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? Alexandru-lungu-09
    Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? 13081
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? Empty Re: Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight?

Post  Ginginho Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I voted for Super HW - 115 lbs just seems too small - it would be like midget wrestling

But even though I voted SHW, I really think they should limit the HW class to say 240 lbs and extend the SHW boundary out to 300lbs or more
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? Empty Re: Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight?

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Why have upper weight limits? A good hangfull of those guys I listed are over 300lbs so why force them to get to a certain size, Boxing and K-1 dont.

Yep I think it would be like Midget Wrestling too. The amount of KO's would be non existent. I love 145lbs, I said when WEC was going it was the best to watch, 135lbs is good too but by the time you get to 125 I wouldnt really watch boxing at that weight either generally.

I dont think UFC have a say over how the weight classes are broken down and aparently the comissions werent keen on a Cruiserweight class when it was brough up before... Im happy with 265 and over, you might just have one freak fight every 2-3 cards because the devision is so shallow but the amout of 1st round finishes you would see would liven up a crowd who dont appreciate the smaller guys.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah they don't need an upper limit but I know that the UFC doesn't like the fatties

That low 115 limit could get dangerous for some weight cuts - my 13 year old son is already heavier than that...
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm

I'd prefer to watch fast,technical little guys who can go full out for 15 minutes,over fat useless big fuckers who gas after a round any day.

I think you can unearth some good talent at 115lb from loads of countries around the world,be it Mexico,South america,Asia,the US and Europe.
    I think with the ever growing popularity of MMA,I can imagine a few little central Americans could easily turn from Boxing to MMA.
    The money would probably be bigger and the fame from getting in the UFC would dwarf what the currently get,fighting at super Flyweights or below in boxing.

In boxing you've managed to get some great talents below that weight,I mean guys like Manny Pacquiao,Jorge Arce,Vic Darchinyan, Nonito Donaire,Tapia have all fought at 115lb or below.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 am

Give me Schilt vs Soa Palelei over any 115lbs fight I can think of.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 am

I'm with Ben. If 300lb+ fighters is a "freakshow", then 115 lb fighters is equally freakish.

I think they could reduce the heavyweight limit to somewhere around 230-245 lbs and have no limit on super-heavyweight. I always thought having an upper weight limit of fighters who could compete in the organisation was messed up.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 am

And if im not wrong Wrestling has weight classes up to 285lbs, maby if these huge guys dont have the olympics UFC would be the best option?

Any other decent Shw fighters you can think of?

Not many, but if you have to do a TUF to get some good fighters in a Shw would be great, they could find all sorts of Freaks, and Minowa could be a trainer...

Would you rather see Strawweight or Superheavyweight? Minowa-giant-silva-blog-124
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 am

For me, it's purely about health concerns, as Ginginho already said, what about the weight cut? 115lbs is no weight at all.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Super Heavies baby !

Although a legitimate version of the faux Cambodian Midget Fighting League sounds intriguing.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Womens 145 and 125 lb before either.

If they do introduce a 115lb division they need to hold the occasional event in a 25-27 ft octagon, and put all the 125 and 115 lb fights on those cards, ideally 135lbs as well. The current setup is just too big for the lighter weights.

As for SHW, god no...
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

superheavy or freakshow open weight 4 me but that is not wot the ufc is selling soo i choose cruiser weight 230

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 pm