THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
p4pnumber_1
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
1972-casual
8 posters

UFC 149 Possibly the

1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

UFC 149 Possibly the Empty UFC 149 Possibly the

Post  1972-casual Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Worst UFC event ever...????

Only fight worth a mention was Riddle v Clements

Main event was predictable, Lombard was rubbish and I think Jordan and Congo have announced they are officially a couple.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 149 Possibly the Empty Re: UFC 149 Possibly the

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Yep,that was an absolute stinker,shit fights.
    The undercard was good,but the main card sucked.

I recorded it last night and when I got home to watch it,I found myself with my finger on the fast forward button for most of the event.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 pm

It's up there with UFC 33 and 119 bloody awful
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Snap Payne, I ended up watching most of the fights at 6 x FF.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Im in the exact same boat as you guys. I had work this morning, so I just recorded it. I was debating whether to stay up, thank god I didn't!!

The Riddle fight was decent, but it was probably made to look better because of the rest of the card. Anyone see him calling out Dan Hardy?

Things then went from bad (Ebersole fight), to worse (Kongo fight) to god damn awful (Lombard).

I actually thought Faber/Barao was half decent, but again it was made to look good as it followed them 3 disasters.

Lombard is incredibly overrated, thank god they gave him a fight against Boetsch and didnt throw him straight in with Silva. Massively exposed. Boetsch didn't even look good either, though theres talk he broke his foot in the second round.

Barao will dominate this division for years to come. Where does Faber go from here? He's ruled out a move to 125 so I really don't know. He will never beat Barao or Cruz in my opinion.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 am

Yeah worst card I can remember, that Kongo fight was terrible, far worse than the Lombard fight, at least there was a couple of decent shots and a slam... Kongo fight was 15mins of interracial man love, not my cup of tea at all! Laughing

Lombard had the worst case of Octogon jitters ive ever seen, he just froze in there, he saw the fight slipping away or at the very least saw a fight he wasnt dominating and didnt follow up on anything, a really bizzare performance. Cant argue with a SD loss, personally I think Judges score backpeddling as "octogon controll" even if they arent outstriking their opponent, the fighter walking backwards seems to be the one given credit these days which is a slippery slope to bad fights. Clearly the fighter walking forwards needs to be given more credit to avoid fights like this or Guidas/Condit's recent performances.

Dana's calls for him to cut to 170 are a laugh, where were these calls when Palhares lost, Lombard is a wee bit bigger than him isnt he? Lombard looked stronger than Boetsch who is one of the biggest Mw's, Size isnt an issue for him id say. I think the Munoz fight is destin to happen though id much prefer to see him vs Belfort.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:20 pm

I'd like to see Lombard vs Cung Le,good stylistic match up,but I can't see that happening after the loss,so Wandi vs Lombard next please.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

The Lombard-Boetsch fight put me into such a comatose state that I didn't really have any strong reaction to the verdict straight after, just 'eh? thats wrong' but I really just wanted to fast forward to the next fight.

But, looking back on it now, I have to say that it was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. It was disgusting.

Boetsch did absolutely nothing.

NOTHING

100% of the offensive output and control was exerted by Lombard. The total offensive output may have been much, much less than everyone hoped for and was expecting, but it was still all Lombard, and clearly he was the victor.

Ah, sorry, as I type this I vaguely remember that Boetsch landed one good knee late in the 3rd round... I think? That obviously swung the fight in his favour.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:31 am

Boetsch landed plenty of solid jabs, a couple of straight rights and some good leg kicks. I thought he just about won the fight but Lombard was embarrassingly poor. Needs to get his act together quick. Boetsch must surely be top 5 now after beating Okami and Lombard! That's two bigger wins in a few months than Bisping has in his entire career.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Mryzyz I think you have hit the nail on the head watching such an unactive fight I just didnt care come 15mins, It seemed like a fight where noone did much but I hate to see a backpeddling fighter win especially if he doesnt significantly outstrike the front footed figher.

This is a massive lack of knowledge on the judges part. Anyone who has fought or even sparred will know you dont land even half as hard when BackPeddling as you do coming forward, a Punch from the guy on the front foot should be worth more than a punch while backpeddling because of the effect it has.

Lombard for the TD's and Landed the more significant strikes, for me he should have won but in a way Im glad he didnt, he just looked to relaxed and didnt push the pace, he is a fighter who has had cardio issues and he was so lazy in this one he could have gone another 15mins because he foguth at such a slow pace. Diserves what he got IMO.

Botech is so far beyond Bisping now, 2 top 10 ranked wins.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Personally I still think Lombard won the fight jabs and leg kicks aside Boetsch nothing of note apart from failing to get a take down out of 9 attempts. I got to say though I thought the McGee fight was a worse decision those 2 fight would have been ideal to have the old Pride rules in play rather than the 10-9 system.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't know how you can claim Lombard's top 10 after that Ben.

This was a fight to prove Lombard was top 10,and for me,he failed miserably.

Boetsch still hasn't proven anything for me at this weight,fair enough he beat Okami,but did you watch that fight?

Boetsch was getting his arse handed to him for 10 minutes of the 11 minutes the fight lasted,then he caught a lightening in a bottle moment,to pull out the miracle comeback.

I'd back Okami to beat Boetsch 8 time out of 10 after watching that fight.

records and History will tell a different story,but the better fighter certainly didn't win that match up for me.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 am

You can't help but laugh about how people need to bring Bisping into everything Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I don't know how you can claim Lombard's top 10 after that Ben.

This was a fight to prove Lombard was top 10,and for me,he failed miserably.

Boetsch still hasn't proven anything for me at this weight,fair enough he beat Okami,but did you watch that fight?

Boetsch was getting his arse handed to him for 10 minutes of the 11 minutes the fight lasted,then he caught a lightening in a bottle moment,to pull out the miracle comeback.

I'd back Okami to beat Boetsch 8 time out of 10 after watching that fight.

records and History will tell a different story,but the better fighter certainly didn't win that match up for me.

Lombard is maby out of the top 10 after that, if he is still top 10 right at the bottom end of it but he lost to Boetsch who was top 10

So 26 fights unbeaten doesnt make you top 10 ranked?

But Bisping goes 4-2 beating Mayhem, Riviera, Akiyama, Dan Miller and one of those 2 losses isnt ranked and he is somehow though to be on Lombards level?

I dont get it 26-1 with a loss to a ranked guy and no ranked wins to 4 non ranked wins and 2 losses...
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:55 pm

So was Travis Fulton ever a top 10 HW ?
    Huge undefeated run against bums,but loses when he faces solid competition (sound familiar Very Happy )

I thought Bisping was 8-3 at MW in the UFC.

Bispings MW wins have been of a higher level than Lombards and all his losses have been against a level of competition Lombard hasn't even stepped in the cage with yet.

When Lombard gets a few wins under his belt in the UFC,for me that's when he can make a case for being top 10,his can crushing run shouldn't mean that much,as I think 70% of the UFC's current MW division would have a similar looking record if they fought the same competition.

Also I don't think one fluke win against Okami,which I'm sure he couldn't repeat and 3 wins against top 20 competition proves,Boestch is top 10 for me.

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm not sure Bisping's MW wins are higher level than Lombard's wins, Bisping's biggest wins are Miller & Leben at MW. TBH If people think Bisping is Top 10 then surely Lombard is Top 10, Going on what each man has done at MW.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:53 pm

This gets old,I'm not even a Bisping fan and I wouldn't be sure who to back if they fought,but Shlemenko is the only fighter Lombard has beat that can be compared to Bispings best wins.

Lombards impressive run,is flawed throughout,with cans,fighters who were on losing streaks,ones that had been cut from bigger promotions,he drew with Noke,his wins over ebersole and the, at the time green 6-3,Te Huna were due to injuries.
    It just looks good on paper,when,like I said before,I'm sure 70% of the UFC's current MW roster would have had very similar results against the same opposition.

It seems it doesn't matter how many times fighters with great wins streaks and reputations keep getting found out when they fight in the UFC,people just ignore it.

Unless they lose to Bisping of coarse,you know,like Akiyama,Mayhem and Kang,who were all top fighters when they were building themselves up great reputation fighting outside the UFC,but become shit after they lose to Bisping.

If Lombard can string together 4 good wins in the UFC,then I'll start to give him credit as a top 10 MW.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 pm