The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Most underrated and most overrated fighters in the UFC?

Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Most underrated and most overrated fighters in the UFC?

Post  Sheldan on Thu May 17, 2012 2:38 am

Ariel Helwani and Chael Sonnen had a debate on UFC Tonight about who they each believed was the most underrated fighter in the UFC, Helwani said Joseph Benavidez and Sonnen said Fabricio Werdum. So I thought I would ask the forum on who they thought was the most underrated UFC fighter AND the most overrated UFC fighter.

One of the most underrated I would probably say is Gleison Tibau. In the last 2 years he has really developed into a great MMA fighter. If you look at the guys he has lost to throughout his UFC career, they have all been top 10 guys and yet he still gave them very close fights. One of the most overrated I would say is Mevlin Guillard. We hear all this talk about how he is one of the best strikers in the UFC and his combination of speed and power is second to none, and then he gets dropped by Joe Lauzon in 30 seconds.

Anyway, who would you guys say are most underrated and overrated in the UFC?
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Most underrated and most overrated fighters in the UFC?

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Thu May 17, 2012 3:44 am

Think underrated is harder to pick than overrated. I think Bispings quite underrated by many. Now that you mention Tibau...Good call by the way, but I also think Dos Anjos who he just beat by split decision is VERY underrated.

Jake Shields is the most overrated UFC fighter in my opinion.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu May 17, 2012 5:29 am

Tibau has stopped trying to be a body builder and is letting his talent get him notice rather than his pecks.

Most over-rated = Jon Jones

Most under-rated = Alan Belcher. By me anyone. Didn't think he was close to top 10 material but his performance against Paul Harris changed my mind.
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Thu May 17, 2012 10:36 am

Overated = Shane Carwin
    Underated = Travis Browne

Overated = Forrest Griffin
    Underated = Feijao

Overated = Bisping/Lawler
    Underated = Belcher

Overated = FITCH!!!
    Underated= Ellenberger

Overated= Aoki
    Underated= Dos Anjos

Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am

Underrated easily Amir Sadollah.............oh wait Laughing

I agree with Sonnen that Werdum is underrated but i'll go with his up coming opponent Mike Russow he is pretty solid everywhere and has a great chin.

Overrated I'd say Miguel Torres (although maybe people are finally realizing this now) by far and also easily the most padded record in MMA to boot.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu May 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Anyone else surprised to see Sonnen name Werdum?
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 pm

There has been loads of guys that have been way over rated,but most have already been found out.

Laughing like people putting Brett Rogers down as a top 10 HW not long ago.

Aoki,my personal favorite Cro-cop and Kid,they all had a ton of hype,but fail to live up to it when they face real top fighters of their divisions.

I'd say King Mo has to be one of the most over rated,he's only 2-1 at LHW,yet people had him straight in their top 10 lists.
    Joe Warren's another that I think was way over rated.

as for under rated,KZ and Belcher have to fall into that category,but i think they've recently done enough to change that opinion.
    I don't necessarily think Shlemenko is under rated by the hard core fans,but I think he could do with getting himself into the UFC,to show his talent to more fans.
    Dos anjos and hathaway are under rated as well IMO.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Thu May 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I think calling Kid overrated is harsh payne I think the reason he has been so poor recently is because the extensive knee surgeries he has had he isn't the same fighter I mean Kid beat Sudo, Bibiano Fernandes, Yahya, Uno, Miyata, Jeff Curran, Nintendoplug and Royler Gracie before the 18 month lay off he's just past It for me sadly.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm sure you know by now,I think JMMA and most of there fighters are way over hyped and over rated,love watching them,but I think they are mostly poor versions of the top western fighters.

so when they make rankings like #2-5 in the world,building up impressive looking records fighting on the JMMA scene,you'll have to forgive me for being a sceptic.

You have 11 Japanese fighters that have made it to the UFC,who all built themselves very impressive records on the JMMA scene,but only 3 of them currently have a winning record in the UFC.

Okami,who only spent a short time on the JMMA scene,Hioki,who's not looked like living up to the #2 FW in the world tag so far and Tamura who's only had the one fight.

then you have

Akiyama 1-4 in the UFC,12-1 on the JMMA scene
    Omigawa 1-5 UFC,11-5 JMMA
    Gomi 2-3 UFC,30-4 JMMA
    Kid 0-3 UFC,17-3 JMMA
    mizugaki 4-5 UFC,11-2 JMMA
    Mitsuoka 0-1 UFC,17-7 JMMA
    Urushanti 0-1 UFC,18-4 JMMA
    Fukuda 1-1 UFC,15-2 JMMA
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm

There's a number to chose from, for me, I would say it's a toss-up between Ryan Bader and Jake Shields, although I've always thought that Mir is vastly overrated.

Most underrated - Hector Lombard, although maybe not so much on these pages.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Thu May 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Amir Sadollah = extremly overrated. Though I think most people now realise that he's probably not going to progress much further. I see him being out of the UFC within the next year and a half or so. P.S I think Lopez beat him.

Shame though cuz he's a good lad, and I really enjoyed him winning TUF...shame that hes a really average fighter in truth.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Fri May 18, 2012 1:36 pm

I think it's hard to claim that somebody is underrated when they are so highly ranked. For instance, Helwani picking Benavidez who was considered the #2 BW before dropping to flyweight, and Sonnen picking Werdum who most people see as a top 5 heavyweight, so they're clearly not underrated in that sense.

Schaub is another we can add to the overrated list.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Fri May 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Payne is a racist! Laughing

I know what you mean about Japanese MMA to be honest they do tend to fail when fighting in the states. I think its because of the size difference. Asians arent really gont to compete Physically with other races and the rediculous weight cutting that happens in the states means they are also usually at a size disadvantage too.

Id also put it down to the fact a cage is tailored to figthers who dont come to fight. Couture tactics of holding a man against the cage should be seen as the other guy winning, Your trying to take him down and failing... to me its the guy staying standing winning but in the US hugging a man is kicking his ass scoring wise.

Weird Sonnen picked Werdum, I though he hated Brazilians like Payne hates asians Laughing (joking) Its a great call though, Werdum isnt highly though of at all by the average UFC fan even though he is top 3-5 ranked across all MMA sites. Sheldon you point out most sites have him top 5 but you think the average UFC fan thinks of him that highly?
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Fri May 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Laughing

I love the little noodle arm bastards,so i don't know what your on about Razz

I think the size difference was a valid point,but I don't think the issue is as bad now as it maybe was before,since alot of the Japanese fighters are changing their ways and following suit,especially the ones that are now making their way over to the bigger western Orgs.

Okami is a one of the biggest MW's in the division,Omigawa revitalized his career by dropping to FW,Akiyama has dropped from fighting at LHW in Japan to WW in the UFC,Kid's dropped 3 weight divisions,Gomi's always been a big LW,Hioki is a huge FW as is Mizugaki at BW.

The introduction of the lighter weight divisions at the top level has helped the FW and BW not have to fight at LW to make it in the UFC,but even with the lower weight classes,they will still have to face some huge weight cutting monsters in any of today's divisions,so it's a case of if you want to successfully compete with these guys,you've got to train like them.

The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Fri May 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Underrated- Bisping

Overrated- Palhares, certainly before the Belcher fight. Apparently he was top 10 before that fight, even though Bisping wasn't... scratch
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Fri May 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Overrated- Palhares, certainly before the Belcher fight. Apparently he was top 10 before that fight, even though Bisping wasn't...

I think they were both top 10 before the Belcher fight...obviously Palhares has dropped...but I still think he has the tools to beat anyone in the division on a given night.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Well the same could be said for anybody who is in that top 5 bracket really as not many average UFC fans pay much attention to depths of a divison. Just like I'm sure many average fans are unaware of the talents of fighters such as Gilbert Melendez, Michael Chandler etc as they're not getting the UFC platform, which until recently was the same for Werdum.

Agree with Axe about Palhares being overrated, he submitted a few cans and most people on here had him down as the second coming. Also, despite doing what he did to Silva first time round I would say that Sonnen is overrated too, although I could be made to eat my words in the rematch, although i'm backing a Silva KO inside 2 rounds.

I'll probably get criticism for this too but I'm saying that Machida is overrated.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Fri May 18, 2012 6:19 pm

underrated:

Shinya Aoki
    Rousimare Palhares
    Rafael Dos Anjos
    Vitor Belfort
    Lyoto Machida
    Thiago Alves
    Fedor Emelianenko

Overrated:
    Carlos Condit
    Junior Dos Santos
    Frankie Edgar
    Gray Maynard
    Jim Miller
    Dan Henderson
    Anderson Silva

- not that the above don't deserve their current ranking, but i think they arent as good fighters as they are currently believed to be, or hyped to be.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Fri May 18, 2012 6:22 pm

ALOT of... strange picks there Chesty. Care to elaborate a bit? Especially regarding Rousimar being UNDERrated...
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Fri May 18, 2012 6:51 pm

How is Fedor Underated? It was damn near blasphemy to say anything negative in MMA forums just a short while ago, and even when he's lost he is still being worshiped by many out there.

I forgot Overroid he's the most overated guy in MMA last 3 years.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Fri May 18, 2012 7:06 pm

I think Chesty may have mixed his headings there, I believe (and feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong), that he has intended Palhares and Fedor to be in the OVERRATED category, and Dos Santos, Edgar et al to be in the UNDERRATED category.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Fri May 18, 2012 7:07 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    You have 11 Japanese fighters that have made it to the UFC,who all built themselves very impressive records on the JMMA scene,but only 3 of them currently have a winning record in the UFC.

Okami,who only spent a short time on the JMMA scene,Hioki,who's not looked like living up to the #2 FW in the world tag so far and Tamura who's only had the one fight.

then you have

Akiyama 1-4 in the UFC,12-1 on the JMMA scene
    Omigawa 1-5 UFC,11-5 JMMA
    Gomi 2-3 UFC,30-4 JMMA
    Kid 0-3 UFC,17-3 JMMA
    mizugaki 4-5 UFC,11-2 JMMA
    Mitsuoka 0-1 UFC,17-7 JMMA
    Urushanti 0-1 UFC,18-4 JMMA
    Fukuda 1-1 UFC,15-2 JMMA

on the topic of those Japanese fighting overseas in USA, i should mention those misleading stats.

firstly Fukuda is considered 2-0 in the UFC by the brass, he was given that win bonus for that clear win over Ring.

Mitsuoka is 0-1 with a loss to Gomi in japan, so his ufc record is somewhat irrelevant.

Its just mean to pick on KID at this point..it was clear in 2009 that he would never be the same fighter again. Those knee injuries completley took away his explosiveness he had in his heyday (2003-2006), which was his main attribute (his striking and grappling technique wasnt ever so elite), and his chin is gone too thanks to 2 K1 losses he took at that time.
    he took 2 losses in Japan before coming to the UFC as a deservedly unranked fighter, and unsurprisingly he has lost. getting submitted was surprising though.

Who knows about Gomi?, his skillset seems to have regressed considerably compared to his heyday (which was 7-8 years ago by now!) comparing those current performances to those against Kawajiri, Mach, Pulver, Ishida etc etc.
    i think he is punch drunk too, and was getting dispatched quickly by japanese in japan before getting picked up by the UFC due to his name(unranked).

I think those 2 would really be top UFC fighters in those years when they were at their best (2004-2006).

Urushitani lost to Benavidez, i think there were no fighters of Benavidez quality in the flweight division up until that point. There wasnt a flyweight div in any of the major japanese organisations too, so up until UFC introduced it the most talented fighters like Benavidez were probably fighting above their weight.
    Benavidez was 1/10 odds on fav to win that fight.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:I think Chesty may have mixed his headings there, I believe (and feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong), that he has intended Palhares and Fedor to be in the OVERRATED category, and Dos Santos, Edgar et al to be in the UNDERRATED category.

I sure hope so haha!
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:
    How is Fedor Underated? It was damn near blasphemy to say anything negative in MMA forums just a short while ago, and even when he's lost he is still being worshiped by many out there.

I forgot Overroid he's the most overated guy in MMA last 3 years.
    I dont think Fedor was undderated when he was considered as #1.

i think Fedor is underrated by people now because he lost those 3 fights.
    I still think he could beat or at least challenge those fighters who he lost to, as well as those current top 3 in the world.

he might not be relevant now, but thats because he isnt in the UFC, not because he isnt good enough.
    (in my opinion).

to pete:

Edgar is overrated in my opinion, i dont feel the need to elaborate too much, i will just say that he lost to BJ the first time, soundly beaten by Henderson, soundly beaten by fellow overrated Maynard the first time.
    his striking is the annoying style, point fighting style, little power.
    his wrestling is only for points.

I explained in another thread, i like JDS but he hasnt proven he is anything other than 1 dimensional...and people dont remember this, they consider him as indomitable.
    he is deserved #1 as i said, everyone considers him #1 so how can he be underrated? whats higher than #1?

cant really talk too much about Palhares having not seen the Belcher fight, so maybe i shouldnt have included him.
    i think based on what ive seen that he would be champ given a shot.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 pm

cant see how fedor is overrated when most people dont consider him top 10.

i think if everyone agrees with your lists then you missed the point of the thread, am i right? Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 am