The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Football discussion

Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Re: Football discussion

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:Feel sorry for Citeh fans they get rid of Johnson and possibly bring in Walcott to me It makes no sense sure Walcott is quick but I feel Johnson offers so much more. You'll probably see Johnson flourish at Sunderland now be sold on in 2 years for double the fee.

I'm really impressed with our signings of late signing players from Ligue 1 and convincingly to join a NPC is very impressive, Although they do stink of Solbakken playing too much FIFA and FM for me. Very Happy

Walcott is far better than Johnson who's ridiculously over-rated. He looks good on Youtube, not in full matches. City are delighted to be rid of him. Terrible attitude, numerous off-field issues, and not all that good on the pitch.

City aren't getting Walcott, they're going to take Sinclair. Walcott doesn't want to go there and money won't influence him.

With Walcott the thing that sticks out to me is that he has not developed or improved enough since his Southampton days which is more shocking because of the fact he is under the guidance of Wenger & co.

He is so inconsistent one game he looks like a World beater then 5 or 6 games after that he is really mediocre. I always will remember when we lost 1-0 at the Emirates when Bendtner scored in last minute that day day Walcott skinned the immobile Elokobi with ease in the 1st half but did fuck all with his end product. That will always sum him up to me just so inconsistent.

As for Sinclair honestly I don't think he is any better than Johnson and I'd say Swansea have done very well out of the deal sell on Sinclair and bringing in Pablo Hernandez seems a great bit of business.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:12 pm

When Walcott stays fit, he's consistent. His inconsistency has always been caused by injuries. He's developed a huge amount since joining Arsenal, strange to claim otherwise. But the thing with Walcott is that even when he's not playing well, he can produced something.

Sinclair and Johnson are about the same level, City have done well to get rid of Johnson, replace him with a young version with more potential and make a profit.

Swansea have had a fantastic summer though.

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:
    kavik2 wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:He could be worth It Pete but the thing is It is a huge gamble to make and a lot of pressure on him to deliver with the fee and ect. The situation sort of reminds of Billy Sharp about 5 years ago there was so many teams after him (including Wolves) because of his exploits for Scunthorpe in League 1 Sheff Utd took a gamble paid around £2.5M for him and he flopped. In his defense though the move came at an early age and maybe he wasn't ready I get the feeling the same could happen to Rhodes who is around the same age as Sharp was.

Man City spending 5 million on John Macken!! He wasnt event a top level Championship striker.

I remember Macken very well decent player but as you say he was never a top level Championship striker I couldn't believe City splashed £5M on him he wasn't overly prolific something like like 1 in 3 or 4 games. I think the fact he was a product of the United youth system probably bumped up his price.

He scored a goal against City in the cup from about the halfway line and they signed him not long after that, but it was just one of those goals were everything falls right for you with the bounce of the ball and the Goalkeeper being AWOL. I went on Preston a fair bit over those few seasons and Macken had a decent touch for that level but he lacked pace and finesse, it was a lot of money for both Preston and City at that time, Healy was in the same team at Preston and he was a better striker, think Preston signed Nugent for 250k not long after selling Macken.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Champions League groups:

Group A: Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Paris St Germain, Dinamo Zagreb

Group B: Arsenal, Schalke, Olympiakos, Montpellier

Group C: AC Milan, Zenit St Petersburg, Anderlecht, Malaga

Group D: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund

Group E: Chelsea, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, FC Nordsjaelland

Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov

Group G: Barcelona, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Celtic

Group H: Manchester United, Braga, Galatasaray, CFR Cluj

As a Celtic fan i'm delighted.

Arsenal and Man Utd should walk their groups, though we heard this last year also...

As for Man City's group.. well that's just an incredible group. I actually don't see City qualifying.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 am

I think it's better for City if they don't qualify. Their focus this season should be on retaining the title. United, as usual, got an easy group.

Celtic's group is exciting for the fans in terms of Messi and co coming to play, and Aiden McGeady coming home to play.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 pm

That's 11 signing SOD's be allowed to bring into the club,with Coppinger and Billy Sharp added to the Forest squad,oh happy days cheers cheers cheers

Cox,Sharp and Blackstock as our main striker choices,with Derbyshire,Tudgay and Findly as back ups,that is a very strong championship front line IMO Very Happy

Guediura,landsbury,Reid,Coppinger,McGugan,Majewski,Greening,Cohen,Gillet,and the Moose fighting for midfield spots Very Happy

with any of Ayala,Hutchinson,Halford,Collins,Harding,lascelles and Moloney protecting Lee Camps goal Very Happy

I'll be very disappointed if that team doesn't finish in the top half now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 pm

We had ourselves a shocker of a day. Ah well, could be worse. Could have been embarrassed by Atletico Madrid.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 am

Really embarrassing performance but that should be a lesson for RDM and the players. Falcao is absolutely immense, I think he is the best striker in the world. Our strongest team should not consist of Lampard and Mikel as a partnership in midfield. They don't offer the back 4 enough protection. I was actually impressed with Mikel in possession but he is far too slow recovering on the counter. I think our strongest team should have Ramires as the box-to-box midfielder with Romeu in the holding role. Oscar on the right. I think I would also like to see Azi come in at RB and Ivanovic in the centre with Luiz dropped for a couple of games. Hopefully just a blip but there is a lot for RDM to think about. Shame we didn't go for Falcao in the transfer window but thankfully no else did either.

In other news Southampton have signed Ramirez! Great signing for the move, this reminds me of when Tevez and Mascherano went to West Ham. He could keep them up and if he plays well I would expect one of the bigger teams to pick him up in a transfer window or two.

The decision to let leave Carrol looks risky for Liverpool now. I think they were banking on us letting Sturridge leave but we couldn't get Schurle.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:44 am

You were never going to get Schurrle without paying over 30mil for him. Remy was the striker you tried for when all else failed.

Sturridge will likely just run down his contract now so all going well we'll nap him in Jan for 5-8mil or next summer for about the same through the tribunal.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:49 am

After watching last nights game I can't believe Chelsea have let Essien go out on loan I know he has had his injuries problems and that but I felt they really missed a player of his caliber in the middle last night.

I think easily the signing of the day had to be Clint Dempsey for £6M. How on earth did Liverpool not pull this deal off the player wanted to come and the fee was bloody cheap why on earth did low ball Fulham with a £4M offer. QPR were busy again man I really hope It all falls apart for them I hate the way they are throwing silly money at players.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Dempsey demanded that Fulham accept whatever we put in, some bellend at Liverpool(Ian Ayre) thought he was being clever offering 4mil. Fulham immediately demanded 10mil. We were willing to pay 6 rising to 7.5 but Fulham wouldn't listen and sold him to Spurs for 6 rising to 7.5mil.

Good signing for Spurs but that's two players they now bought who don't want to be there.

QPR is a cluster fuck of epic proportions. Makes Leeds and Pompey look like ideal business models. It's basically Chelsea on a low scale.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:42 pm

LEvy signs LLoris, and the next day, AVB confirms Friedel as his number 1 keeper. Welcome to the club mate, how's that for a confidence boost!! Smile
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm

He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Robin van Persie, he scores when he wants!

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:28 am

Two really good goals from Van Persie today. United were so so lucky though. They've been poor in all three games. That defense is verging on being comical.

We were pretty muck today. Some easy fixes though. Gerrard needs to be in the front 3. And once we get Lucas back it'll sort the midfield and defense. Arsenal aren't good though, we easily matched them despite playing really poorly.

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 pm

efils_god wrote:LEvy signs LLoris, and the next day, AVB confirms Friedel as his number 1 keeper. Welcome to the club mate, how's that for a confidence boost!! Smile

Friedel was our only decent player on Saturday to be fair tho! Think it is right to ease Lloris in over the next 3 months, hopefully he will be our Number 1 for many years,

Saturdays was as bad as I have ever seen Spurs play and thats including the last few months under George Graham, I think we have bought well in the end but we have had no pre season whatsoever so I am not expecting a lot this season we will struggle to come top 8 until we adapt to a new style of play.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

A very sad day Today, Terry Connor has been given the boot after 13 years at Wolves to be fair he's been a great servant to the club, but after last seasons debacle and Stale going on about the squad stinking of relegation, the stench of relegation, a relegation hangover and ect...It's no surprise.

It's also sad that Terry's clipboard might need a new home after his departure. Sad
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 pm

You are very optimistic Anfield, good on you. A lot of Liverpool fans are seriously worried. What do you make of Borini? Very unimpressive so far IMO. Suarez has been his usual snappy self but he isn't a natural finisher and that's what Liverpool lack. Alot of questions about behind the scenes as well, especially the last 48 hours or so of the transfer window; why were Liverpoo not willing to pay £6m for Clint Dempsey, yet now there is real talk of Michael Owen..? Really looking forward to this fly-on-the-wall documentary about the club.

Brilliant start for Chelsea, Hazard is something special. Torres seems to be thriving with him.

United haven't played well but still have two trademark wins.

City are another who have started slowly and made hard work of games but still came out on top. Along with United and Chelsea, they are the favourites for the title.

Going on early season form I reckon the top 4 will be as follows;
    1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man Utd
    4. Arsenal

Arsenal are real dark horses. It's early days I know but their defence looks to have finally settled. Gibbs is starting to look a player, Mertesacker and Vermaelen were immense against Liverpool and when Sagna comes back they're only going to get better. Cazorla is just class, Arteta is as consistent as ever and in a fit Diaby they seem to have found a player who is a spitting image of Yaya Toure in everything he does, thought he was amazing against Liverpool.

Swansea will take some beating this season as well. I think a top 7 finish is there's for the taking this season. In Pablo Hernandez and Michu they've probably replaced Scott Sinclair and Gylfi Sigurdsson with better players! Shame about Neil Taylor though, he was really on form of late.

AVB has quite a lot of work to do at Spurs, as does Pardew with Newcastle, although they have badly missed Tiote recently, and Cisse needs to rediscover his form from last season. Been impressed with West Ham, we were destroyed by Swansea but a lot of that was our own doing and the win against Villa was a top start to the season. Andy Carroll could be the player that gets us into the top 10 (if Liverpool don't poach him back in January) It's a shame he got injured on Saturday because there was more goals in that game. He was sublime, everything we did went through him. He is the perfect player for West Hams style, and with Matt Jarvis and Matt Taylor we have two of the best crossers in the premier league, so he'll be right at home. His telepathy with Nolan is as clear as day though. Hope he stays.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Hulk to Zenit St Petersburg for £39.5m!
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am

Odd comments by Brendan Rodgers. Liverpool might have to start diving.

To START diving? Has he met Suarez and Gerrard? I'm not saying other clubs have less diving players, but Licerpool certainly have as many as others.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 pm

efils_god wrote:Odd comments by Brendan Rodgers. Liverpool might have to start diving.

To START diving? Has he met Suarez and Gerrard? I'm not saying other clubs have less diving players, but Licerpool certainly have as many as others.

This whole 'victimisation' thing, is getting tired now like. EVERY club, has it's fair share of players that go down easily (mine included), sometimes you get the luck, sometimes you don't. Does he think that his team should get special treatment? Think his rant, may be more to do with the pressure that he's under at the moment.

On a lighter note, 8 year contract extension for Pardew. Who'd have thought that, when he was appointed?
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Suarez has had two stonewall penalties turned down in the last two games, we've had absolutely nothing off referees this seasons. Two laughable sendings off, 3 hilarious penalties againsts, and nothing given to us.

Oh, and Rodgers isn't under any pressure Pete.

Comical stuff from Toon giving Pardew an 8 year deal. What happens if they fall apart and decide to sack him? He'll be owed a ridiculous amount of money.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Suarez has had two stonewall penalties turned down in the last two games, we've had absolutely nothing off referees this seasons. Two laughable sendings off, 3 hilarious penalties againsts, and nothing given to us.

Oh, and Rodgers isn't under any pressure Pete.

Comical stuff from Toon giving Pardew an 8 year deal. What happens if they fall apart and decide to sack him? He'll be owed a ridiculous amount of money.

I think, that after all of the years of upheaval at SJP, we're due a little bit of stability, certainly wouldn't label it as comical, and with regards to getting nothing from refs this season? Really? Dude, pretty much every fan in the country (at times) will say exactly the same thing. You going to be complaining when Liverpool get the decisions? You've never been given 'dodgy' decisions before? Whether Rodgers is, or isn't under pressure, he's certainly beginning to sound like a man that is. Oh, and don't get me wrong, nowt against Liverpool per se, just hacked off, that some managers seem to constantly whine and moan, about their team not getting the rub of the green. Latest one, was Pullis saying, that players diving, should be automatically suspended. What about players that blatantly cheat Tony? Like Crouch playing basketball in the opponents penalty area?
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Have you seen us play this season? Name one 50-50 call that's gone our way. Suarez got fouled three times in one tackle on Saturday and still couldn't get a penalty. We've literally gotten nothing from referees these season. WBA away, Sunderland away, United at home. All games affected massively by poor refereeing decisions that went against us. Saturday could have been the same if Suarez hadn't been in such devastating form.

Rodgers doesn't sound like a man under pressure at all, silly statement. He was sticking up for his players and warning as to what the consequences of a lack of protection could be, and he was quite clear that he wasn't just referring to our players. Spurs and Arsenal have both suffered from some poor refereeing decisions this season too.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:08 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Have you seen us play this season? Name one 50-50 call that's gone our way. Suarez got fouled three times in one tackle on Saturday and still couldn't get a penalty. We've literally gotten nothing from referees these season. WBA away, Sunderland away, United at home. All games affected massively by poor refereeing decisions that went against us. Saturday could have been the same if Suarez hadn't been in such devastating form.

Rodgers doesn't sound like a man under pressure at all, silly statement. He was sticking up for his players and warning as to what the consequences of a lack of protection could be, and he was quite clear that he wasn't just referring to our players. Spurs and Arsenal have both suffered from some poor refereeing decisions this season too.

You honestly think that there's some deep rooted conspiracy against your club? As I said, all teams, have spells where it feels nothing is given by refs, just find all of this whining and moaning a bit much. With regards to my 'silly' statement of Rdogers sounding like a man under pressure. Any manager that starts making such ridiculous reasoning behins an apparent lack of form, normally does so, to deflect blame and therefore try and ease pressure, hardly silly to suggest that a relatively inexperienced manager at a 'big' club, not getting the greatest run of results, at a club that recently sacked a 'Legend' might be under a bit of pressure.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 pm

It was far from ridiculous reasoning. He was stating fact and he was very calm about it. He wasn't ranting or raving. And you seem to be under the impression that he just sat down and starting talking about refs. He was asked specifically about referees and about how poorly Liverpool's games have been refereed this season and he gave an honest answer.

There's not even a hint of pressure towards Rodgers. Everyone understands what he's taking over, everyone understands that this season is being used for a purpose and that we're not going to be looking at top 4, probably not even top 6 because there's a much bigger long term view being taken. Everyone that's watched us can see the progress that's been made already and realizes that if it weren't for poor referees and individual errors we'd be on 13 points now. The only way pressure will start to mount on Rodgers is if we're 15th at Xmas which we won't be.

You show me a single team that's had as many game changing decisions go against them in a 6 game spell as we have in the season. Just one. We've had 7 of them in 6 games and it's not like they were even difficult decisions for the referee. Apart from 2 of them, they weren't even close to being 50/50.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 am