The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Football discussion

redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Football discussion

Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

lol!

The Carroll one is great aswell. Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 am

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Was over the moon, with our performance yeserday, and hopefully (barring a colossal fuck up), that should be us safe for Europa league spo, next season. Although, we do still have Swansea away, Man City and Cheski still to play.

Ciss is looking full of awesome at the moment, and Perch is looking a completely different player, now that he's settled in the EPL.

Was a great performance from Newcastle from about the minute Carroll took his dive. Up until then we were the better team.

We really should have had a pen for the handball on the line, yet again many people show themselves up for the vendetta they're holding against Suarez by not screaming blue murder as they would have if it had been him.

Pen and red card make it a different match, but we didn't deserve anything from yesterday on the whole.

Perch is a tosser by the way.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:49 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Was over the moon, with our performance yeserday, and hopefully (barring a colossal fuck up), that should be us safe for Europa league spo, next season. Although, we do still have Swansea away, Man City and Cheski still to play.

Ciss is looking full of awesome at the moment, and Perch is looking a completely different player, now that he's settled in the EPL.

Was a great performance from Newcastle from about the minute Carroll took his dive. Up until then we were the better team.

We really should have had a pen for the handball on the line, yet again many people show themselves up for the vendetta they're holding against Suarez by not screaming blue murder as they would have if it had been him.

Pen and red card make it a different match, but we didn't deserve anything from yesterday on the whole.

Perch is a tosser by the way.

I can understand you saying that about Perch, but I don't think even the most ardent Liverpool fan, could say that Reina did not intend to put the nut on Perch. Whether there was huge contact or not, there aren't many footballers (if any) that would not have reacted like Perch. The blame for the sending off, falls firmly at Reina's feet. And yes, it should have been a pen for handball, but I think that we dominated enough of the game, to deserve the three points.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Oh no, the red card was justified but Perch's actions were horrendous.

Imagine if Balotelli, Suarez, Tevez or another of the "nasty foreigners" were to trip a good old English goalkeeper and then throw themselves on the ground like Perch did if the keeper reacted like Reina. There'd be fucking uproar, but he gets away with it because he's English, whereas if Suarez and Joe Hart were the two involved we'd be walking up to headlines that read

"Convicted racist assaults national hero and then feigns injury to get him sent off".

It's pathetic the vendetta that is being held up against players like Suarez, Balotelli and Tevez where their actions are slammed left right and centre but british players do far worse and get away with it.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Oh no, the red card was justified but Perch's actions were horrendous.

Imagine if Balotelli, Suarez, Tevez or another of the "nasty foreigners" were to trip a good old English goalkeeper and then throw themselves on the ground like Perch did if the keeper reacted like Reina. There'd be fucking uproar, but he gets away with it because he's English, whereas if Suarez and Joe Hart were the two involved we'd be walking up to headlines that read

"Convicted racist assaults national hero and then feigns injury to get him sent off".

It's pathetic the vendetta that is being held up against players like Suarez, Balotelli and Tevez where their actions are slammed left right and centre but british players do far worse and get away with it.

I've kept away from attacking players reactions (like Perch aainst Liverpool) primarily because, we all (regardless of the team) have at least one player that has been guilty of over-reaction. There are some that will claim, they are imply ensuring that the ref takes notice of the incident. Whether the Perch 'trip' was intentional, I don't know, I do know that Reina's reaction to it was ludicrous, and as you say, he deserved to go. I fear that you may well be right, had it been Suarez and Hart, but let's not forget, the press were equaly condemning of Ian Wright, when he had that infamous set to with Schmeichel. With regards to Suarez,. Balotelli and Tevez....I cannot remember the last time that an English player was excused calling another player Negro/Negrita/Nigger (however you wish to phrase it), not the last time an English player refused to enter the field of play, after being asked to go on as sub, so I don't think we can say it was simply because of their nationality. It is true, however, that certain players get 'picked on', but this has always happened, has it not? Roy Keane, Cantona, Ginola, Viera, more recently the likes of Joey Barton spring to mind.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

I think that we have to understand, that in football, we will all cheer, wen our players win dodgy penalities, or dive, or possibly get away with something, and jeer the oposition players, when they escape punishment/win dodgy decisions. It's in the nature of football, and as long as we all try to keep it in perspective, it's all good.

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 am

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Oh no, the red card was justified but Perch's actions were horrendous.

I've kept away from attacking players reactions (like Perch aainst Liverpool) primarily because, we all (regardless of the team) have at least one player that has been guilty of over-reaction. There are some that will claim, they are imply ensuring that the ref takes notice of the incident. Whether the Perch 'trip' was intentional, I don't know, I do know that Reina's reaction to it was ludicrous, and as you say, he deserved to go. I fear that you may well be right, had it been Suarez and Hart, but let's not forget, the press were equaly condemning of Ian Wright, when he had that infamous set to with Schmeichel. With regards to Suarez,. Balotelli and Tevez....I cannot remember the last time that an English player was excused calling another player Negro/Negrita/Nigger (however you wish to phrase it), not the last time an English player refused to enter the field of play, after being asked to go on as sub, so I don't think we can say it was simply because of their nationality. It is true, however, that certain players get 'picked on', but this has always happened, has it not? Roy Keane, Cantona, Ginola, Viera, more recently the likes of Joey Barton spring to mind.

You don't remember John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a black cunt? Hardly surprising as it received only a fraction of the media coverage despite the incident being caught on camera and reported by multiple QPR players, as opposed to Suarez/Evra in which nobody backed up Evra's side of thing and there was not a single bit of evidence that Suarez said anything of a racist nature.

Again with Tevez, who says he refused to play? The manager he was at odds with. Who else? Nobody. Not another single soul on the City bench from subs to Mancini's own staff heard or saw him refuse to play. Not one.

With the exception of Barton, all of the players that gets the brunt of the British vendetta have one thing in common, they're not British. And Barton asks for it with his antics.

Keane and Cantona never got anything like the shitstorm they deserved despite their actions either.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 am

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:I think that we have to understand, that in football, we will all cheer, wen our players win dodgy penalities, or dive, or possibly get away with something, and jeer the oposition players, when they escape punishment/win dodgy decisions. It's in the nature of football, and as long as we all try to keep it in perspective, it's all good.

Suarez was clearly fouled and multiple members of this forum raced on to call him a scumbag. Andy Carroll flung himself to the ground, and it's just a bit of a joke.
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 am

Carroll got caught and was yellow carded for diving, Suarez was actually given the penalty. The Carroll dive was also hilarious as he was clear through on goal, but decided to dive instead, what kind of striker would do that?? He's not even the penalty taker. He's an absolute joke.

And i dont for 1 second believe that Carroll's quick thinking came up with a cunning plan to get a penalty and a red card for Krul. He just decided to bottle it when through on goal.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 am

Andy Carrol is a joke, does he have no respect for the Geordie fans? A poor attitude and a poor player, one of the worst signings in history. For 35 Million that's probably Liverpool's worst signing of all time. King Kenny has made some truly horrendous signings, 0 goals and assists Downing for 20 million? Laughing The Liverpool team facing Newcastle looked weak in comparison and that was with a 4th choice CB partnership. Newcastle's midfield looked considerably stronger with Ben Arfa and Cabaye compared to Shelvey and Spearing. Newcastle genuinely look like a much better team than Liverpool right now and it's thanks to some brilliant signings by Pardrew. I hope they can build the team up and keep their best players this time instead of selling them.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am

I think Newcastle are benefiting from some great signings by Pardew. Obviously Ba and Cissé have worked out well, but Cabaye has been excellent too. I follow the french league closely and he is exactly the sort of player that can shine at a mid-top tier club in the EPL. There are alot of good players in the french league who could do the same and would come relatively cheap.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:14 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Carroll got caught and was yellow carded for diving, Suarez was actually given the penalty. The Carroll dive was also hilarious as he was clear through on goal, but decided to dive instead, what kind of striker would do that?? He's not even the penalty taker. He's an absolute joke.

And i dont for 1 second believe that Carroll's quick thinking came up with a cunning plan to get a penalty and a red card for Krul. He just decided to bottle it when through on goal.

Suarez was fouled. there's the difference. Carroll flung himself to the ground without contact. He is a joke.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 pm

efils_god wrote:I think Newcastle are benefiting from some great signings by Pardew. Obviously Ba and Cissé have worked out well, but Cabaye has been excellent too. I follow the french league closely and he is exactly the sort of player that can shine at a mid-top tier club in the EPL. There are alot of good players in the french league who could do the same and would come relatively cheap.

Don't forget Ben Arfa. Huge talent.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    efils_god wrote:I think Newcastle are benefiting from some great signings by Pardew. Obviously Ba and Cissé have worked out well, but Cabaye has been excellent too. I follow the french league closely and he is exactly the sort of player that can shine at a mid-top tier club in the EPL. There are alot of good players in the french league who could do the same and would come relatively cheap.

For me, Ben Arfa has been the difference in the last few games. He just gives us that bit of quality. Santon will, IMO come good, just needs a little time to find his feet. And regardless of how folk view the 'incident' on Sunday, Perch has been an absolute revelation. He's filled in so many positions this season, and with the exception of the game against Norwich, he's looked ok, especially when you think how bad he looked last year.

I really hope, that we can either keep hold of our top players, or, find suitable alternatives for the outgoing players. Newcastle's scouting network has been amazing in recent years. It will be difficult to keep hold of players like Tiote and Ba, but, as long as we replace them with quality, I feel confident going forward.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:

Ben Arfa was brought to the club by Hughton to be fair.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 am

Only brought in on loan under Hughton, and then broke his leg. Pardew took a punt and paid 5mil when he was injured.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:24 am

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

For me, Ben Arfa has been the difference in the last few games. He just gives us that bit of quality. Santon will, IMO come good, just needs a little time to find his feet. And regardless of how folk view the 'incident' on Sunday, Perch has been an absolute revelation. He's filled in so many positions this season, and with the exception of the game against Norwich, he's looked ok, especially when you think how bad he looked last year.

I really hope, that we can either keep hold of our top players, or, find suitable alternatives for the outgoing players. Newcastle's scouting network has been amazing in recent years. It will be difficult to keep hold of players like Tiote and Ba, but, as long as we replace them with quality, I feel confident going forward.

If Toon can keep this team together, bring in a centre back and maybe someone like Belhanda to play the opposite wing to Ben Arfa, I think they'll be excellent next year.

Ben Arfa is a fantastic talent, one of the most talented players in Europe but it's taken him a while to find his way. When he was at Lyon he was rated as highly as Benzema.

Santon is one of the best young fullbacks in Europe, Newcastle will see the best of him next season.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah Ben Arfa has an enormous amount of potential. I really hope he lives up to it after losing his way somewhat at Marseille.

Others i see succeeding in the prem off the top of my head (non-exhaustive!)

Belhanda
    Giroud
    M'Vila
    Hazard (obviously)
    Valbuena
    Remy
    Sissoko (Toulouse)

kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Happy birthday Tom Finney, at 90 years old - Think he would still get in the current Preston team.

All time great.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am

efils_god wrote:Yeah Ben Arfa has an enormous amount of potential. I really hope he lives up to it after losing his way somewhat at Marseille.

Others i see succeeding in the prem off the top of my head (non-exhaustive!)

Belhanda
    Giroud
    M'Vila
    Hazard (obviously)
    Valbuena
    Remy
    Sissoko (Toulouse)

Sakho and Blaise Matuidi would be great in England too. And Gonalons from Lyon.

I think Belhanda, with the right move, has the potential to be a star.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 am

Yeah although i think both are a bit raw, and they are playing for PSG so i suppose there is no financial reason to move to the prem!

I think Gonalons would do well, but for me he is a bit limited compared to say M'Vila. Gonalons is great at breaking up play but lacks the passing range and quick mind of M'Vila.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 am

efils_god wrote:Yeah although i think both are a bit raw, and they are playing for PSG so i suppose there is no financial reason to move to the prem!

I think Gonalons would do well, but for me he is a bit limited compared to say M'Vila. Gonalons is great at breaking up play but lacks the passing range and quick mind of M'Vila.

I don't think Matuidi is raw, Sakho is though.

Gonalons would be do well in the United midfield. Win the ball, give it to a team-mate quick and easy.

ANOTHER win for the Toon today and ANOTHER two goals for Cisse. I really want them to get 4th now and knock Spurs out of the CL places.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 am

Fantastic again by Newcastle, Pardrew is my manager of the year but the scouting team deserve to have their pay doubled. Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote all exceptional players who would make most teams in the premiership. Part of me wants them to make into the CL but I still don't see it happening. Spurs have a tough game against Sunderland but their run in isn't too difficult, I can see them finishing in 3rd. I think Chelsea's best chance is getting ahead of Arsenal which would require them losing against City and then us beating them when we play. It's a very tough ask with the amount of games we have to play.

Just to join the conversation about players from France moving to the PL, Sessegnon has been immense this season. Now that he is actually being played in his position of choice he has flourished, I'd love to see him at Chelsea but I see Spurs and Arsenal, even Utd making bids for him in the summer.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:47 am

Well chuffed that we've given ourselves a realistic chance at Champions League fotball next season, although, truth be told, it's probably a season too soon. Under no illusions about how ifficult a top 4 finish would be, this season. We've still to play Chelsea and Man City though, so our destiny, is at least in our hands.

Sessengon, much as it pains me to say, has been outstanding fro the mackems this season.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:ANOTHER win for the Toon today and ANOTHER two goals for Cisse. I really want them to get 4th now and knock Spurs out of the CL places.

I want Chelsea to win the champions league and spurs finish 4th so that Chelsea take Spurs place Very Happy ... Long shot but would be hilarious.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm