THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
Mryzyz
Ginginho
payneNglory1
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
19 posters

Football discussion

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Football discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:13 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Anyone who saw the England game can see what a joke Johnson is. Had an absolute shocker, gave the ball away, tackled no one and kept losing the ball anytime he went on one of "his threatening runs". One of the worst players to wear the England shirt. Forget the embarrassingly better Richards, I would have had Danny Simpson, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville hell even Gary ahead of that clown.

Also fantastic to hear that Kelly has been called. Exactly what we need, more Liverpool players. I'd still have him over Johnson but Jones should start. He won't though because I think Woy feels to blame for the current status of Liverpool and I think this is his way of saying sorry.

Big yawn. Usual brain dead nonsense. Johnson had a poor game but apart from Cole and Gerrard, no England player played well. England under Roy are a dour, dull team and having James Milner on the right wing is not going to help any right back. Your two central defenders were just as poor as Johnson. Shame Cahill broke his jaw, but great to see Terry get injured. Hopefully it's serious.

Kelly's better than Jones as an RB, and as a CB. Jones is hugely over-rated after one decent season where Chris Samba carried him.

Odd how we have far more players at the Euros than your small club given how great Chelsea apparently are.

Cahill barely had any time on the pitch and was solid when he was on and Terry was fine. Nothing special just solid. Johnson was awful. As you said only Cole and Gerrard played well but no one aside from Johnson had a mare. Not the biggest fan of Milner but he works hard for the side and always tracks back. He got better as the game went on and put in a couple of decent crosses. Not sure what Milner had to do with Johnson needlessly giving the ball away, tackling no one and running straight into Vertonghen's back pocket.

Agree about Woy though, the team lacks creativity. Not sure why we can't just admit English managers aren't very good. And on the odd occasion we do have one like Clough, we don't pick them. Woy was an awful choice, it should have given to Redknapp for the time being. It's hardly Woy's fault though, he was never going to turn it down. I blame the dinosaurs at the FA who are leaving English football back in the dark ages. When you see the incredible talent the likes of Brazil, Spain and Germany produce it's really quite frustrating looking at the England side.

Jones is overrated but he is still a talent and has a lot of potential. He is better and younger than Kelly and a lot of top managers have shown great faith in him. He has struggled a bit because he has had to play so many different positions but he has also had some terrific performances. Needs to work on his crossing though.

The reason you have more players is because of injuries and laughable selections by Woy. But as I said, this is his way of apologizing to Liverpool fans. Why else would he pick Downing when there are about 7 or 8 better options?

Because he's the only natural left footed left winger that England have. Quite simple really.

Kelly's a lot better than Jones who's had some utterly shocking performances over the past two seasons. Kelly's yet to have a bad game. Jones's defensive failings get glossed because he's good on the ball. Kelly's a much better defender.

It should have been a foreign manager for England. They are no good English managers at the highest level.

Milner offered no support on the flank and didn't make himself available. Terry was woeful. As was Milner. England were just shite.

He's crap though, by that logic we should have called up Ethrington or Taylor. Ashley Young can play on the left as can Mathew Jarvis. Aaron Lennon is a far better player and has more experience at the top level having actually played in the Champions league where he performed well. Can play left or right and he would have swapped wings during the game like he does with Bale for Spurs. Joe Cole had a fairly good season with Lille. Even taking a gamble on someone like Scott Sinclair or Nathan Dyer who both have better stats than Downing would have been better. The amount of English wingers who have had better stats than Downing is quite ridiculous. Should never have been in the squad.

The curse of the left wing has haunted England for many a year. Some truly awful players have played on that left wing for England.

Jones has played a lot more than Kelly though despite playing for a better team and being younger. Mistakes and poor performances at his age are a given. Kelly's positioning thus far has looked very impressive and he has the making of a very good defender but Jones is a more complete player and has played at a higher level. Jones does need to work on his defensive frailties and crossing (if he continues to play RB) if his to continue to progress.

I agree, only decent English manager out there right now is Padrew and that's after one season where he had some great help from his scouting team. We need to just admit English managers are shit and there's nothing wrong with having a foreign manager. Would love for Mourihnio to take it but he's not a fan of international football and would probably prefer managing Portugal.

Terry was solid, not his best ever performance but hardly woeful. I don't like him either but he certainly wasn't woeful. Milner is known for his hard work, one of his redeeming qualities. Johnson was just shite.

England were quite poor though and were outplayed. A lack of world-class players is going to hurt this team. There are 2 or 3 world class players in the side and only Ashley Cole can claim to be the best in the world at his position.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:35 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Are you actually mentally retarded Chavski? Serious question. You haven't got a club what you're talking about when it comes to football.

Oh and by the way, you weren't linked with Rodgers, you offered him the job. He said no and then the rumours came out in the press to which he replied "I'm trying to build my career, not destroy it". After what happened to his two close friends, Mourinho and AVB, who were driven out of the worst run, most toxic club in England, he had no interest. That, and he was waiting for a big club to make him an offer. We made him an offer, and now we have a great young manager. Enjoy your patsy.

You think Johnson is in "the top 4" RBs in the PL. You shouldn't question anyone else's mental health.

Rodgers is a good manager but doesn't even have the players to play the sort of football he does. Also a Judas. He was never seriously linked with Chelsea and rightly so, he is a mid-table manager.

Also Kuyt is off just like I said predicted. Nothing special as a player as his price of a mighty 1 million suggests but he still had better stats than Downing.

I'll take that as a yes then. Sorry for your parents, I'm sure they're still very upset about it.

Sagna, Richards, Walker, Johnson. Yep, he's easily in the top 4. He's as good as Walker, easily.

Rodgers wasn't just linked with the job, he was approached about the job. He wanted nothing to do with your toxic club. He's by far the best young manager in the league and one of the best young managers in Europe. And how is he a judas you mug?

Everyone in the world knew Kuyt was leaving you bellend. And the price was written into his contract as a reward for his service to the club. You really are very stupid, but given your condition, that's understandable.

Laughing

Rodgers has the potential to do well but again he doesn't have the right players to play his game and he won't be able sign any Swansea players for 12 months. He is a judas for the way he left Warford (My second side). Claimed he was staying and said that anyone who said otherwise was questioning his integrity. He went to Reading and failed miserably.

I want to see how Rogers handles the pressure of the Liverpool job. Mid-table team with a lot of unrealistic fans who want big success. A poor run of form might see the fans turn on him. The situation at Liverpool is similar to Newcastle a couple of years ago.

Your second team? Jesus you are properly plastic.

Vorm is a sweeper keeper - we have Reina. Perfect fit. Huge upgrade
    Rangel is an attacking RB - we have Johnson. Perfect fit. Huge upgrade
    Caulker is a commanding CB - we have Skrtel. Perfect fit. Huge upgrade
    Williams is a ballplaying CB - we have Agger. There's no better ballplaying CB in Europe.
    Taylor is an attacking LB - we have Enrique. A good fit who's an upgrade and we have the best young LB in England in Jack Robinson

So defensively we're a perfect fit for what Rodgers wants.

Britton is the DM hub who recycles the ball - We have Lucas. Perfect fit. Huge upgrade
    Allen is a box to box midfielder - We have Henderson. Perfect fit. Upgrade. Might bring in someone more experienced. We have Aquilani too, who is perfect for Rodgers.
    Gylfi plays the 10 spot using power running, long range shooting and good passing. We have Gerrard who's brilliant in that role. Perfect fit. Upgrade

We don't have a right winger with pace but Suarez can play on the right and is brilliant in that role as shown at Ajax and for Uruguay.
    We don't have a left winger/playmaker. We'll buy one. Gaston Ramirez wants to move to Liverpool and would be perfect for us and Rodgers.

We need a goalscorer, we're in talks with Luuk De Jong so that will solve that.

---------------------Reina--------------------

Johnson-------Skrtel--------Agger-------Enrique

-------------Lucas---------Henderson-----------

----Suarez-----------Gerrard--------Ramirez----

----------------------DeJong-------------------

That's easily attainable. And we'll prob add 3 or 4 other squad players to increase depth. Gylfi looks likely, Clasie from Feyenoord looks likely, I'd expect another out and out winger and probably another striker as well.

We're only a couple of players off having the perfect team for Rodgers system. It's utter nonsense to say we don't have the players to fit his system.

Not that I have to explain myself to you but I spent part of my childhood living in the area and I saw a couple of their games. Always had a soft spot for them ever since. Hardly makes me plastic.

Johnson is barely an upgrade on Susan Boyle. Caulker is a very promising young CB, has the potential to be very good.

Henderson isn't an upgrade on Allen if this season is to go by. Allen had a great season and I heard Liverpool were interested. Henderson's best position hasn't been determined yet because he has been moved around so much and it's hurt his development as a player. Not sure Henderson can play the type of one-touch passing Rogers likes.

Lucas coming back is going to be huge but I can't see Aquilani coming back. I don't think he wants to although I think Rogers could get the best out of him and might get him to change his mind. Criminally underused. He should also consider bringing Joe Cole back. Still a good player and can easily fit into the style Rogers likes. Far better than Downing.

Suarez is very good on the right but the best way for Liverpool to utilize his talents is upfront linking with Gerrard. Liverpool's best season was when Gerrard and Torres formed a partnership upfront. Let's say De Jong comes, he is still a baby and no garuntee to become a regular goal scorer straight away. You need Suarez for his goals.

De Jong and Rameirez are being linked with some top clubs so they are far from assured signings yet.

You still have 35 million pound Carrol and 20 million pound Downing. Not sure about Downing but I don't think the club are going to give up on Carrol just yet because the amount of money spent. Especially since you will find it hard to sell him for even half of what you paid. Neither player fits into Rogers system either.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Anyone who saw the England game can see what a joke Johnson is. Had an absolute shocker, gave the ball away, tackled no one and kept losing the ball anytime he went on one of "his threatening runs". One of the worst players to wear the England shirt. Forget the embarrassingly better Richards, I would have had Danny Simpson, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville hell even Gary ahead of that clown.

Also fantastic to hear that Kelly has been called. Exactly what we need, more Liverpool players. I'd still have him over Johnson but Jones should start. He won't though because I think Woy feels to blame for the current status of Liverpool and I think this is his way of saying sorry.

Big yawn. Usual brain dead nonsense. Johnson had a poor game but apart from Cole and Gerrard, no England player played well. England under Roy are a dour, dull team and having James Milner on the right wing is not going to help any right back. Your two central defenders were just as poor as Johnson. Shame Cahill broke his jaw, but great to see Terry get injured. Hopefully it's serious.

Kelly's better than Jones as an RB, and as a CB. Jones is hugely over-rated after one decent season where Chris Samba carried him.

Odd how we have far more players at the Euros than your small club given how great Chelsea apparently are.

Cahill barely had any time on the pitch and was solid when he was on and Terry was fine. Nothing special just solid. Johnson was awful. As you said only Cole and Gerrard played well but no one aside from Johnson had a mare. Not the biggest fan of Milner but he works hard for the side and always tracks back. He got better as the game went on and put in a couple of decent crosses. Not sure what Milner had to do with Johnson needlessly giving the ball away, tackling no one and running straight into Vertonghen's back pocket.

Agree about Woy though, the team lacks creativity. Not sure why we can't just admit English managers aren't very good. And on the odd occasion we do have one like Clough, we don't pick them. Woy was an awful choice, it should have given to Redknapp for the time being. It's hardly Woy's fault though, he was never going to turn it down. I blame the dinosaurs at the FA who are leaving English football back in the dark ages. When you see the incredible talent the likes of Brazil, Spain and Germany produce it's really quite frustrating looking at the England side.

Jones is overrated but he is still a talent and has a lot of potential. He is better and younger than Kelly and a lot of top managers have shown great faith in him. He has struggled a bit because he has had to play so many different positions but he has also had some terrific performances. Needs to work on his crossing though.

The reason you have more players is because of injuries and laughable selections by Woy. But as I said, this is his way of apologizing to Liverpool fans. Why else would he pick Downing when there are about 7 or 8 better options?

Because he's the only natural left footed left winger that England have. Quite simple really.

Kelly's a lot better than Jones who's had some utterly shocking performances over the past two seasons. Kelly's yet to have a bad game. Jones's defensive failings get glossed because he's good on the ball. Kelly's a much better defender.

It should have been a foreign manager for England. They are no good English managers at the highest level.

Milner offered no support on the flank and didn't make himself available. Terry was woeful. As was Milner. England were just shite.

He's crap though, by that logic we should have called up Ethrington or Taylor. Ashley Young can play on the left as can Mathew Jarvis. Aaron Lennon is a far better player and has more experience at the top level having actually played in the Champions league where he performed well. Can play left or right and he would have swapped wings during the game like he does with Bale for Spurs. Joe Cole had a fairly good season with Lille. Even taking a gamble on someone like Scott Sinclair or Nathan Dyer who both have better stats than Downing would have been better. The amount of English wingers who have had better stats than Downing is quite ridiculous. Should never have been in the squad.

The curse of the left wing has haunted England for many a year. Some truly awful players have played on that left wing for England.

Jones has played a lot more than Kelly though despite playing for a better team and being younger. Mistakes and poor performances at his age are a given. Kelly's positioning thus far has looked very impressive and he has the making of a very good defender but Jones is a more complete player and has played at a higher level. Jones does need to work on his defensive frailties and crossing (if he continues to play RB) if his to continue to progress.

I agree, only decent English manager out there right now is Padrew and that's after one season where he had some great help from his scouting team. We need to just admit English managers are shit and there's nothing wrong with having a foreign manager. Would love for Mourihnio to take it but he's not a fan of international football and would probably prefer managing Portugal.

Terry was solid, not his best ever performance but hardly woeful. I don't like him either but he certainly wasn't woeful. Milner is known for his hard work, one of his redeeming qualities. Johnson was just shite.

England were quite poor though and were outplayed. A lack of world-class players is going to hurt this team. There are 2 or 3 world class players in the side and only Ashley Cole can claim to be the best in the world at his position.

Joe Hart can probably make an argument for being top 3 or 4 in his position but other than him, and Cole obviously, no1 in this England team is particularly great. Gerrard was as good as anyone but injuries have destroyed his groin and taken away a lot of his explosiveness. Him and Cole are going to retire as two of the best England players to never win a major tournament.

The players coming through are a bit special though.

Hart's going to be there for a long time unless Butland replaces him, either way GK is set for the next 10 years minimum with great keepers.
    Walker will probably be England's RB in a year or two if he keeps developing.
    Kelly and Jones will be central assuming Ferguson doesn't ruin Jones and continue to push back his development.
    Robinson is going to be a fantastic left back, he's easily the best youngster we have, including Sterling.
    In midfield there's Wilshere, McEachran, Rodwell, Barkley, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, that Morrison kid if he can sort his life out, Nick Powell and a couple of others.
    Plus some talented wingers like Albrighton, Sterling and Redmond from Brum. There's others too.
    and upfront there's Sturridge, Wickham, Delfouneso and others.

England would be better off appointing a young manager, someone like Rodgers for example, and allowing him to built a team towards the next Euros with no focus on the next world cup. Dump everyone over the age of 27 from the squad, and start over. Someone like Karl Robinson of MK Dons would have been a good choice. I know he's ridiculously young and inexperienced but he'd have a long term vision, he's progressive and inventive and he could relate to young players. What on earth are Hodgson and Oxlade Chamberlain going to talk about??

Mourinho wanted the England job when Capello got it, doubt he'd have much interest now. Another year or two at Madrid, win that third CL he's been after and then to City he shall go to cement his legacy as the best ever with a few league titles and a few CLs.

Kelly has played at every level Jones has played at and always performed. Jones playing more makes his mistakes worse, those should be eradicated. United are going to ruin him by making him a fullback or fucking about with him in midfield because Fergie hasn't realized Rio is finished.

Downing's not crap. Rubbish to suggest he is. He had a grab season statistically but he's a good player who actually created a shit load of chances last season that Andy Carroll managed to waste. Never worth 20mil obviously, 12mil is more his value, but Downing is, and has been, one of the best wingers around for a number of years. He's the best left footed english left winger by a distance, that's not saying much but it's a fact. And he generally does perform well for England. Himself and Cole have a good understanding too which helps.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Are you actually mentally retarded Chavski? Serious question. You haven't got a club what you're talking about when it comes to football.

Oh and by the way, you weren't linked with Rodgers, you offered him the job. He said no and then the rumours came out in the press to which he replied "I'm trying to build my career, not destroy it". After what happened to his two close friends, Mourinho and AVB, who were driven out of the worst run, most toxic club in England, he had no interest. That, and he was waiting for a big club to make him an offer. We made him an offer, and now we have a great young manager. Enjoy your patsy.

You think Johnson is in "the top 4" RBs in the PL. You shouldn't question anyone else's mental health.

Rodgers is a good manager but doesn't even have the players to play the sort of football he does. Also a Judas. He was never seriously linked with Chelsea and rightly so, he is a mid-table manager.

Also Kuyt is off just like I said predicted. Nothing special as a player as his price of a mighty 1 million suggests but he still had better stats than Downing.

I'll take that as a yes then. Sorry for your parents, I'm sure they're still very upset about it.

Sagna, Richards, Walker, Johnson. Yep, he's easily in the top 4. He's as good as Walker, easily.

Rodgers wasn't just linked with the job, he was approached about the job. He wanted nothing to do with your toxic club. He's by far the best young manager in the league and one of the best young managers in Europe. And how is he a judas you mug?

Everyone in the world knew Kuyt was leaving you bellend. And the price was written into his contract as a reward for his service to the club. You really are very stupid, but given your condition, that's understandable.

Laughing

Rodgers has the potential to do well but again he doesn't have the right players to play his game and he won't be able sign any Swansea players for 12 months. He is a judas for the way he left Warford (My second side). Claimed he was staying and said that anyone who said otherwise was questioning his integrity. He went to Reading and failed miserably.

I want to see how Rogers handles the pressure of the Liverpool job. Mid-table team with a lot of unrealistic fans who want big success. A poor run of form might see the fans turn on him. The situation at Liverpool is similar to Newcastle a couple of years ago.

Williams is a ballplaying CB - we have Agger. There's no better ballplaying CB in Europe.
    Taylor is an attacking LB - we have Enrique. A good fit who's an upgrade and we have the best young LB in England in Jack Robinson

Britton is the DM hub who recycles the ball - We have Lucas. Perfect fit. Huge upgrade
    Allen is a box to box midfielder - We have Henderson. Perfect fit. Upgrade. Might bring in someone more experienced. We have Aquilani too, who is perfect for Rodgers.
    Gylfi plays the 10 spot using power running, long range shooting and good passing. We have Gerrard who's brilliant in that role. Perfect fit. Upgrade

We don't have a right winger with pace but Suarez can play on the right and is brilliant in that role as shown at Ajax and for Uruguay.
    We don't have a left winger/playmaker. We'll buy one. Gaston Ramirez wants to move to Liverpool and would be perfect for us and Rodgers.

That's easily attainable. And we'll prob add 3 or 4 other squad players to increase depth. Gylfi looks likely, Clasie from Feyenoord looks likely, I'd expect another out and out winger and probably another striker as well.

We're only a couple of players off having the perfect team for Rodgers system. It's utter nonsense to say we don't have the players to fit his system.

Not that I have to explain myself to you but I spent part of my childhood living in the area and I saw a couple of their games. Always had a soft spot for them ever since. Hardly makes me plastic.

Johnson is barely an upgrade on Susan Boyle. Caulker is a very promising young CB, has the potential to be very good.

Henderson isn't an upgrade on Allen if this season is to go by. Allen had a great season and I heard Liverpool were interested. Henderson's best position hasn't been determined yet because he has been moved around so much and it's hurt his development as a player. Not sure Henderson can play the type of one-touch passing Rogers likes.

Lucas coming back is going to be huge but I can't see Aquilani coming back. I don't think he wants to although I think Rogers could get the best out of him and might get him to change his mind. Criminally underused. He should also consider bringing Joe Cole back. Still a good player and can easily fit into the style Rogers likes. Far better than Downing.

Suarez is very good on the right but the best way for Liverpool to utilize his talents is upfront linking with Gerrard. Liverpool's best season was when Gerrard and Torres formed a partnership upfront. Let's say De Jong comes, he is still a baby and no garuntee to become a regular goal scorer straight away. You need Suarez for his goals.

De Jong and Rameirez are being linked with some top clubs so they are far from assured signings yet.

You still have 35 million pound Carrol and 20 million pound Downing. Not sure about Downing but I don't think the club are going to give up on Carrol just yet because the amount of money spent. Especially since you will find it hard to sell him for even half of what you paid. Neither player fits into Rogers system either.

Sunderland want Downing and Spurs want Carroll. Keeping Carroll is fine as an option off the bench. Spurs want him, and they'll pay 15-18mil to get him but we should prob keep him and use him off the bench as a plan b. Complete change from what the style of play will be, great option to have.

Both DeJong and Ramirez want to play for Liverpool, neither wants to go anywhere else. We've already made a move for DeJong and we'll likely go back for Ramirez once he gets done with Uruguay.

Suarez will score more from the right than he will through the centre. Look at his records for Ajax and Uruguay. The added freedom adds dimensions to his game. There's not a left back in the league other than Cole that's got a chance at containing him. DeJong is well developed and a very mature player for his age. He's also a brilliant finisher. He'll score goals for us if we get him.

Gerrard's best season actually came on the right, in 05/06 but I take your point. We'll be playing a totally different style under Rodgers than we did under Mr. Counter-Attack Rafa. Gerrard in that central AM role will allow him to see plenty of the ball, influence the game, but not have to carry the burden of creativity because Suarez and Gaston can do that.

Cole's shit. He should never have been signed. He was shit for 18 months before he left your lot. Typical Hodgson signing. No legs, no stamina, no intelligence. He'll be off out the door. Aquilani possibly will as well. Lots of talk of sending him in a part exchange. We've been scouting Pjanic at Roma and Jovetic at Fiorentina since Xmas. Both have talked about wanting to play for Liverpool in the past, and both their clubs want Aqua. Possible that a deal for one or the other could be struck.

Henderson's best position has very much been determined. Central mid. He played 6 or 7 games there at the end of the season and in all bar one was excellent. He dominated the midfield against your lot at Anfield. One touch quick passing is his biggest strength, always has been. He's a better player than Allen who won't be coming from Swansea.

Johnson's a good player, 4th best RB in the league. Ideal for Rodgers formation.

Caulker's good, Skrtel's better as are Kelly and Coates.

Plastic or Elton John fanboy, your choice.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:If Hulk does end up at Chelsea I think he could a Shevchenko type buy for them he will most likely flop IMO.

Seen the Brendan Rogers press conference on SSN this morning he spoke well in his Northern Irish/ Scottish hybrid accent and whatever else is in there (I detect a little Welsh as well).

I really question the decision making at the club sometimes. It's beyond moronic, overspending on an unproven player. Not sure what it is but I think far too many people rate the Portuguese league higher than it is. Last year Mourihnio payed 30 million for Coentreo who's an average winger and an awful defender.

With that being said Hulk has the skills to succeed. He has pace and skill, a good goal scoring record and a freakish shot. And he provides a good physical presence which is useful in the premeir league and it's useful for us since Drogba is leaving. Plus the new core of our side lacks side as Ramires, Hazard, Mata, Marin are all quite small players.

Ramires is 5'11!! He's not small at all. Marin will only be a sub if Hazard and Hulk both sign. It's a bit odd that Chelsea haven't made a statement on Hazard yet. Assume it's just a hold up in getting his medical done because of the international friendlies.

Hulk has the tools to do well, but he also has the tools keep the ball all to himself at the expense of the team. As does Hazard who I think is a bigger risk than Hulk given the system Chelsea will play will require him to work for the team, something he doesn't enjoy doing. Chelsea are buying a team on unproven individuals, there's no cohesiveness to it at all and Ramires and Mikel could find themselves over-worked because the front 4 aren't workers. And they still haven't sorted their managerial situation out.

Odd that you have a go at the Portuguese league, your second best player came from there and your best ever defender came from there. And the likes of DiMaria and Falcao made their names there and are now amongst the best players in Europe. Coentrao is a decent defender and a good allround player. He was over-priced but he was a good signing for Real and played a number of different positions for them. RB, LB, DM, RW and LW during the year.

You have a point about players from there being over-priced but it was Chelsea who caused that when they paid 38mil for Carvalho and Ferreira and another 14mil for Bosingwa. You only need to look at these rumours of 30mil for Gaitan to see what's happened over.

Ramires is sort of built like a Kenyan marathon runner. He's isn't short by any means but he is quite physically small and offers no sort of physical presence. Marin and De Bruyne will be subs is Hulk and Hazard come and I think that's a good thing. If one of Hulk or Hazard flops, there is at least good cover for them.

Hulk and Hazard can both be ball hogs but I think they will realize quickly that they will need to pass the ball. Hazard against England was the most frequent passer of the ball. He also worked quite hard upfront, switching from wing to centre to wing and he was always looking for the ball. Defensively I don't think either of them will produce much help but Ramires and Mikel are work horses. Ramires in particular has excellent fitness. Cole should be able to cover for who ever is playing ahead of him.

Not saying that the league isn't good and that it doesn't produce quality players because it does. But it also produces it's fair share of overrated and overpriced talent as well. Our best ever defender was Deasily but Carvahllio was quality and worth every penny we paid. Coentreo is a utility player and they are not worth anything close to 30 million. That's the same price Real Madrid paid for Xabi Alonso and cost more than Ozil! He is pretty poor defensively IMO, cost Real Madrid the game against Bayern in the first leg.

Carvallio was worth it, Feirrara was slightly overpriced but he played for us and we paid far too much for Bosingwa. He is worth half of what we paid. Especially since he hogs the spotlight whenever we win a trophy. I heard Gaitan is being linked with Man Utd and I can't see them paying that much for him.

United might panic and pay for him because his wages would be a lot lower than the normal wages for a 30mil player. Ferreira was never worth more than 5mil, nor was Bosingwa. Cavarlho wasn't worth the money Chelsea paid at the time but he did prove worthwhile.

Alonso cost 30mil sterling, Coentrao cost 30mil Euro(if he hits certain incentives). Ozil is the bargain of the decade. You've just spent 3 times what Ozil cost on Hazard who's nowhere near as good. We paid 3 times the amount on Carroll who's never going to be 1/3 the player. Buying from Germany is the smart thing to do.

Cole's great, but he's not going to manage against 2 players coming at him all season long. Neither is anyone you have at RB. Ramires is immense, but asking him to do the defensive side of the game constantly will take away from his game.

I heard they are close to wrapping up Kagawa who plays in the same position but is considerably cheaper and I think a better player. He has performed better than Gaitan in a better league. Gaitan is good but he is nowhere near that sort of money.

Feirrara was terrific when Porto won the Champions league and in his first couple of seasons for Chelsea. Carvillio proved his worth to the side and I think he was worth the money.

Not sure how Bremen let Ozil go for that cheap after his performances at the world cup. Absolutely brilliant player and just as important for Real Madrid as Ronaldo. After this season I really think he could be considered the third best player in the world ahead of Iniesta. A lot of talented players in Germany for good prices.

I think part of the new focus for Chelsea is to play a poor possession based game. That means Cole won't have to be constantly defending. Also who ever plays on the wing (Hazard/Mata/Hulk) will ensure the opposing fullback will be stuck in their own half for the majority of the game. Cole is one of the best one-on-one defenders in the world and it's part of the reason why the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and other top class players haven't performed as well as they usually do against Chelsea. Ramires will play a box-to-box role and will eventually take Lampards spot. Lampard's days as a box-to-box player are close to being finished and from now one I think he will play a more defensive, deep-laying role. Mikel and Romeu will rotate throughout the season so everyone stays fit and we still have Essien and Mierles for cover.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:38 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

Joe Hart can probably make an argument for being top 3 or 4 in his position but other than him, and Cole obviously, no1 in this England team is particularly great. Gerrard was as good as anyone but injuries have destroyed his groin and taken away a lot of his explosiveness. Him and Cole are going to retire as two of the best England players to never win a major tournament.

Hart's going to be there for a long time unless Butland replaces him, either way GK is set for the next 10 years minimum with great keepers.
    Kelly and Jones will be central assuming Ferguson doesn't ruin Jones and continue to push back his development.
    Robinson is going to be a fantastic left back, he's easily the best youngster we have, including Sterling.
    In midfield there's Wilshere, McEachran, Rodwell, Barkley, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, that Morrison kid if he can sort his life out, Nick Powell and a couple of others.
    Plus some talented wingers like Albrighton, Sterling and Redmond from Brum. There's others too.

England would be better off appointing a young manager, someone like Rodgers for example, and allowing him to built a team towards the next Euros with no focus on the next world cup. Dump everyone over the age of 27 from the squad, and start over. Someone like Karl Robinson of MK Dons would have been a good choice. I know he's ridiculously young and inexperienced but he'd have a long term vision, he's progressive and inventive and he could relate to young players. What on earth are Hodgson and Oxlade Chamberlain going to talk about??

Mourinho wanted the England job when Capello got it, doubt he'd have much interest now. Another year or two at Madrid, win that third CL he's been after and then to City he shall go to cement his legacy as the best ever with a few league titles and a few CLs.

Kelly has played at every level Jones has played at and always performed. Jones playing more makes his mistakes worse, those should be eradicated. United are going to ruin him by making him a fullback or fucking about with him in midfield because Fergie hasn't realized Rio is finished.

Downing's not crap. Rubbish to suggest he is. He had a grab season statistically but he's a good player who actually created a shit load of chances last season that Andy Carroll managed to waste. Never worth 20mil obviously, 12mil is more his value, but Downing is, and has been, one of the best wingers around for a number of years. He's the best left footed english left winger by a distance, that's not saying much but it's a fact. And he generally does perform well for England. Himself and Cole have a good understanding too which helps.

Right now I'd probably rate Casillas, Cech, Neur and possibly Buffon ahead of him so he can just about be considered world-class. England haven't had a goal keeper of that standard for a long time. I think Rooney can be described as world-class as well even though I don't like him he is still a quality player. Gerrard's injuries have slowed him down I agree.

I agree there is a lot of talent coming through but it also worries me when I look at some of the young players countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil are producing. The likes of Thiago, Cuenca, Tello, Goetze, Reus, Schurrle, Kroos, Neymar, Ganso, Lucas Moura plus the already established stars who are still quite young. I think any of those players would walk into the England side right now and they are technically far superior.

Out of the current new generation of England stars I think a couple of the defenders have the potential to become world class as well as Wilshire, the Ox and possibly MchEachran. Powell could be special too. Lack of quality strikers coming through IMO.

I agree that's the strategy England should have taken because for one it takes the pressure of such a cursed job. The media in the country is awful and love jumping on the bandwagon. Taking an approach like that would ease the pressure as the side is building. After these Euro's, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Parker ect all need to retire from international football so we can start again. However as I said the clowns at the FA would never consider something like that.

If and when Mourihnio wins the CL with RL I think he will have already cemented his legacy as the best manager of all time and he'll have nothing left to prove at club football unless he can get a team from Scotland to win the Champions league. But even he isn't that special. He could take the Utd job after Fergie retires though although I hope he doesn't.

Kelly hasn't played in the Champions league and won't for a while yet. He also hasn't had the pressure of playing title-deciding games and competitive international games (might or might not change after this summer).

He has never been one of the best wingers around. At his best he is a player with a good left foot, decent dribbling and good crossing. Nothing special ever though. This season he was a failure. Always went missing a defensive liability.

This article shows just how poor he was statistically.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1188603-liverpool-fc-statistical-analysis-of-stewart-downings-failures
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:20 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Laughing

Sunderland want Downing and Spurs want Carroll. Keeping Carroll is fine as an option off the bench. Spurs want him, and they'll pay 15-18mil to get him but we should prob keep him and use him off the bench as a plan b. Complete change from what the style of play will be, great option to have.

Both DeJong and Ramirez want to play for Liverpool, neither wants to go anywhere else. We've already made a move for DeJong and we'll likely go back for Ramirez once he gets done with Uruguay.

Suarez will score more from the right than he will through the centre. Look at his records for Ajax and Uruguay. The added freedom adds dimensions to his game. There's not a left back in the league other than Cole that's got a chance at containing him. DeJong is well developed and a very mature player for his age. He's also a brilliant finisher. He'll score goals for us if we get him.

Gerrard's best season actually came on the right, in 05/06 but I take your point. We'll be playing a totally different style under Rodgers than we did under Mr. Counter-Attack Rafa. Gerrard in that central AM role will allow him to see plenty of the ball, influence the game, but not have to carry the burden of creativity because Suarez and Gaston can do that.

Cole's shit. He should never have been signed. He was shit for 18 months before he left your lot. Typical Hodgson signing. No legs, no stamina, no intelligence. He'll be off out the door. Aquilani possibly will as well. Lots of talk of sending him in a part exchange. We've been scouting Pjanic at Roma and Jovetic at Fiorentina since Xmas. Both have talked about wanting to play for Liverpool in the past, and both their clubs want Aqua. Possible that a deal for one or the other could be struck.

Henderson's best position has very much been determined. Central mid. He played 6 or 7 games there at the end of the season and in all bar one was excellent. He dominated the midfield against your lot at Anfield. One touch quick passing is his biggest strength, always has been. He's a better player than Allen who won't be coming from Swansea.

Johnson's a good player, 4th best RB in the league. Ideal for Rodgers formation.

Spurs don't have that sort of money to pay for Carroll. Plus Adebayour who is a much better players looks like he is staying with them so there is no need for Carroll there. I agree he is a good plan b to have but I don't think he'll be happy sitting on the bench for too long either. If Sunderland offer 10 million you should offer to fly Downing there.

Ramierez signed a contract extension not too long ago so he won't come cheap if he does come. De Jong is being watched by Juventus who need a goal scorer if they are to challenge for the Champions league.

It's not just his goals, it's his creativity that is needed. Remember that 3-1 win against United? He destroyed United while playing through the centre. Also playing Suarez on the wing will leave Johnson exposed and you certainly don't want that. He could be a deadly winger though AFTER you build a world-class team. DeJong is a good player and goal scorer but remember he is playing in the dutch league. Some awful players have scored a good amount of goals there. Remember Afonso Alves? He might struggle at first to adapt to the physicality and speed of the Premier league and won't hit his prime for a few years. Right now Suarez is your most important player, everything good attacking wise will come through him.

What I meant to say was Liverpool's best season in 2008-09 when Liverpool should have probably won the league was due to a deadly partnership between Torres and Gerrard, even if it wasn't Gerrard's best personal season. He still had a great season that year, he scored more goals than Rooney, Torres and Lamps.

Cole wasn't shit for us ever. He suffered from injuries but had some brilliant performances from us. He always provided plenty of assists and scored some vital goals. He struggled to get into the side because Malouda was in great form and we didn't play with a creative attacking midfielder most of the time. He was also one England's best players in that 18 month period but that's hardly saying much. He was great for us early on and it's a shame injuries have affected him. He is a clever and a creative player with skill, I think he could add to your side. Never had a bad season before he joined you.

Jovetic is a great player. Single handily saved Forientina from relegation. Would be a great signing for Liverpool but I can't see that happening because Forientina don't want to let him go.

He dominated what was essentially our second side. I agree he had some good games towards the end but he also had some shockers. I think he was given a bit more stick than he deserved but he often went missing and lost the ball too often. Playing alongside Lucas behind Gerrard will help his development.

If you are trying to imply I am gay Anfield then you are behind the times. Sir Elton John? Justin Bieber fanboy is more appropriate in this day and age.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Laughing

Spurs don't have that sort of money to pay for Carroll. Plus Adebayour who is a much better players looks like he is staying with them so there is no need for Carroll there. I agree he is a good plan b to have but I don't think he'll be happy sitting on the bench for too long either. If Sunderland offer 10 million you should offer to fly Downing there.

Ramierez signed a contract extension not too long ago so he won't come cheap if he does come. De Jong is being watched by Juventus who need a goal scorer if they are to challenge for the Champions league.

It's not just his goals, it's his creativity that is needed. Remember that 3-1 win against United? He destroyed United while playing through the centre. Also playing Suarez on the wing will leave Johnson exposed and you certainly don't want that. He could be a deadly winger though AFTER you build a world-class team. DeJong is a good player and goal scorer but remember he is playing in the dutch league. Some awful players have scored a good amount of goals there. Remember Afonso Alves? He might struggle at first to adapt to the physicality and speed of the Premier league and won't hit his prime for a few years. Right now Suarez is your most important player, everything good attacking wise will come through him.

What I meant to say was Liverpool's best season in 2008-09 when Liverpool should have probably won the league was due to a deadly partnership between Torres and Gerrard, even if it wasn't Gerrard's best personal season. He still had a great season that year, he scored more goals than Rooney, Torres and Lamps.

Cole wasn't shit for us ever. He suffered from injuries but had some brilliant performances from us. He always provided plenty of assists and scored some vital goals. He struggled to get into the side because Malouda was in great form and we didn't play with a creative attacking midfielder most of the time. He was also one England's best players in that 18 month period but that's hardly saying much. He was great for us early on and it's a shame injuries have affected him. He is a clever and a creative player with skill, I think he could add to your side. Never had a bad season before he joined you.

Jovetic is a great player. Single handily saved Forientina from relegation. Would be a great signing for Liverpool but I can't see that happening because Forientina don't want to let him go.

He dominated what was essentially our second side. I agree he had some good games towards the end but he also had some shockers. I think he was given a bit more stick than he deserved but he often went missing and lost the ball too often. Playing alongside Lucas behind Gerrard will help his development.

If you are trying to imply I am gay Anfield then you are behind the times. Sir Elton John? Justin Bieber fanboy is more appropriate in this day and age.

Not implying your gay at all. Merely a lost soul who goes the match to sing candle in the wind.

He had 100% passing success against Chavski on the night and in all of his league appearances in CM he had over 90%. Henderson rarely lost the ball last season. Even played RM. His problem was that he didn't do anything with it. He just gave it back to whoever passed it to him. Confidence is the issue with Henderson, not talent. That trio in midfield, Lucas/Henderson/Gerrard has the potential to be excellent. Especially in Rodgers' system. Just need to sort the wide players and the striker and we'll be in business. Awful shame we didn't take Cisse or Jelavic when they were offered.

Fiorentina don't want to sell but if he asks to leave they've promised not to stand in his way. Stunning player, great that he's bounced back so well from his ACL injury.

He was muck for 18 months before he left you. He's far too stupid to play under Rodgers as well. Rodgers will remember what Mourinho said about him. Mourinho's the only manager to ever truly get the best from Cole because he limited his role in the team and gave him a specific task.

He was immense that year, he had Masch and Alonso behind him though, and Torres in front. Those three were the best in Europe in their positions that season. We were by far the best team in the league and threw the title away because Rafa lost his bottle.

To get the best from Suarez we need to play him in his best position, that's right side. Lucas and Henderson can help Johnson the same way Britton helped Rangel. Gerrard can drop back into the midfield. Rodgers uses a different formation when his team don't have the ball than when they do and uses his CMs to support his fullback.

Ramirez signed the deal so Bologna could write in a buy-out clause. 16mil. He's ours if we want him. So is DeJong who really doesn't want to go to Italy. Juve's main target is Gomez if Bayern get Dzeko, DeJong is just a back-up for them. And he won't go there.

Spurs have the money for Carroll. They have the money for Adebayor, they just don't want to pay his wages so he's unlikely to stay there unless he agrees to take a BIG paycut, which he won't. I've already emailed the club and offered to drive Downing from the gates of Anfield to the front door of that awful stadium Sunderland play in. O'Neill's a big fan of his, reckons him and McClean can do a good job for them.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:59 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:If Hulk does end up at Chelsea I think he could a Shevchenko type buy for them he will most likely flop IMO.

Seen the Brendan Rogers press conference on SSN this morning he spoke well in his Northern Irish/ Scottish hybrid accent and whatever else is in there (I detect a little Welsh as well).

I really question the decision making at the club sometimes. It's beyond moronic, overspending on an unproven player. Not sure what it is but I think far too many people rate the Portuguese league higher than it is. Last year Mourihnio payed 30 million for Coentreo who's an average winger and an awful defender.

With that being said Hulk has the skills to succeed. He has pace and skill, a good goal scoring record and a freakish shot. And he provides a good physical presence which is useful in the premeir league and it's useful for us since Drogba is leaving. Plus the new core of our side lacks side as Ramires, Hazard, Mata, Marin are all quite small players.

Ramires is 5'11!! He's not small at all. Marin will only be a sub if Hazard and Hulk both sign. It's a bit odd that Chelsea haven't made a statement on Hazard yet. Assume it's just a hold up in getting his medical done because of the international friendlies.

Hulk has the tools to do well, but he also has the tools keep the ball all to himself at the expense of the team. As does Hazard who I think is a bigger risk than Hulk given the system Chelsea will play will require him to work for the team, something he doesn't enjoy doing. Chelsea are buying a team on unproven individuals, there's no cohesiveness to it at all and Ramires and Mikel could find themselves over-worked because the front 4 aren't workers. And they still haven't sorted their managerial situation out.

Odd that you have a go at the Portuguese league, your second best player came from there and your best ever defender came from there. And the likes of DiMaria and Falcao made their names there and are now amongst the best players in Europe. Coentrao is a decent defender and a good allround player. He was over-priced but he was a good signing for Real and played a number of different positions for them. RB, LB, DM, RW and LW during the year.

You have a point about players from there being over-priced but it was Chelsea who caused that when they paid 38mil for Carvalho and Ferreira and another 14mil for Bosingwa. You only need to look at these rumours of 30mil for Gaitan to see what's happened over.

Ramires is sort of built like a Kenyan marathon runner. He's isn't short by any means but he is quite physically small and offers no sort of physical presence. Marin and De Bruyne will be subs is Hulk and Hazard come and I think that's a good thing. If one of Hulk or Hazard flops, there is at least good cover for them.

Hulk and Hazard can both be ball hogs but I think they will realize quickly that they will need to pass the ball. Hazard against England was the most frequent passer of the ball. He also worked quite hard upfront, switching from wing to centre to wing and he was always looking for the ball. Defensively I don't think either of them will produce much help but Ramires and Mikel are work horses. Ramires in particular has excellent fitness. Cole should be able to cover for who ever is playing ahead of him.

Not saying that the league isn't good and that it doesn't produce quality players because it does. But it also produces it's fair share of overrated and overpriced talent as well. Our best ever defender was Deasily but Carvahllio was quality and worth every penny we paid. Coentreo is a utility player and they are not worth anything close to 30 million. That's the same price Real Madrid paid for Xabi Alonso and cost more than Ozil! He is pretty poor defensively IMO, cost Real Madrid the game against Bayern in the first leg.

Carvallio was worth it, Feirrara was slightly overpriced but he played for us and we paid far too much for Bosingwa. He is worth half of what we paid. Especially since he hogs the spotlight whenever we win a trophy. I heard Gaitan is being linked with Man Utd and I can't see them paying that much for him.

United might panic and pay for him because his wages would be a lot lower than the normal wages for a 30mil player. Ferreira was never worth more than 5mil, nor was Bosingwa. Cavarlho wasn't worth the money Chelsea paid at the time but he did prove worthwhile.

Alonso cost 30mil sterling, Coentrao cost 30mil Euro(if he hits certain incentives). Ozil is the bargain of the decade. You've just spent 3 times what Ozil cost on Hazard who's nowhere near as good. We paid 3 times the amount on Carroll who's never going to be 1/3 the player. Buying from Germany is the smart thing to do.

Cole's great, but he's not going to manage against 2 players coming at him all season long. Neither is anyone you have at RB. Ramires is immense, but asking him to do the defensive side of the game constantly will take away from his game.

I heard they are close to wrapping up Kagawa who plays in the same position but is considerably cheaper and I think a better player. He has performed better than Gaitan in a better league. Gaitan is good but he is nowhere near that sort of money.

Feirrara was terrific when Porto won the Champions league and in his first couple of seasons for Chelsea. Carvillio proved his worth to the side and I think he was worth the money.

Not sure how Bremen let Ozil go for that cheap after his performances at the world cup. Absolutely brilliant player and just as important for Real Madrid as Ronaldo. After this season I really think he could be considered the third best player in the world ahead of Iniesta. A lot of talented players in Germany for good prices.

I think part of the new focus for Chelsea is to play a poor possession based game. That means Cole won't have to be constantly defending. Also who ever plays on the wing (Hazard/Mata/Hulk) will ensure the opposing fullback will be stuck in their own half for the majority of the game. Cole is one of the best one-on-one defenders in the world and it's part of the reason why the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and other top class players haven't performed as well as they usually do against Chelsea. Ramires will play a box-to-box role and will eventually take Lampards spot. Lampard's days as a box-to-box player are close to being finished and from now one I think he will play a more defensive, deep-laying role. Mikel and Romeu will rotate throughout the season so everyone stays fit and we still have Essien and Mierles for cover.

Kagawa plays right side or central, Gaitan plays left side. They wanted Hazard to play left side. Kagawa is going there either way, if they can agree a fee. He's always been their main target.

Ferreira was never anything more than average. He was a weaklink in that Porto team. Mourinho bought him to act as a dressing room mole. Carvalho wasn't worth 24mil at the time. Later yes, in 04 no.

Lots of young players in germany have buy-outs. Same reason Khedira and Sahin went so cheap. Ozil is the best playmaker in the world. Himself and Iniesta are about even IMO. Just a joy to watch.

You do realize that you can't play 12 players? If Lampard is in the team - he shouldn't be, he's well past it, then Ramires, Mata, Hazard or the superhero will have to miss out because Mikel/Romeu or Felliani will start every game at DM. Chelsea haven't bought players to play possession football. They've bought players to counter attack. Hulk, Mata, Ramires and Hazard are all better on the counter. As is Torres. Only Mata is suited to a possession style of play. Chelsea don't know what they're doing. No manager, no big name managers interested, it's going to be RDM again and aside from the 9 man defense and 1 striker formation he won the CL with, he's tactically clueless. What will they do if the new manager walks in and decides he wants Mata in the 10 role and Hazard on the wing? Hazard will run to those who signed him, whinge and cry and then there'll be more fallings out.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

Right now I'd probably rate Casillas, Cech, Neur and possibly Buffon ahead of him so he can just about be considered world-class. England haven't had a goal keeper of that standard for a long time. I think Rooney can be described as world-class as well even though I don't like him he is still a quality player. Gerrard's injuries have slowed him down I agree.

I agree there is a lot of talent coming through but it also worries me when I look at some of the young players countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil are producing. The likes of Thiago, Cuenca, Tello, Goetze, Reus, Schurrle, Kroos, Neymar, Ganso, Lucas Moura plus the already established stars who are still quite young. I think any of those players would walk into the England side right now and they are technically far superior.

Out of the current new generation of England stars I think a couple of the defenders have the potential to become world class as well as Wilshire, the Ox and possibly MchEachran. Powell could be special too. Lack of quality strikers coming through IMO.

I agree that's the strategy England should have taken because for one it takes the pressure of such a cursed job. The media in the country is awful and love jumping on the bandwagon. Taking an approach like that would ease the pressure as the side is building. After these Euro's, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Parker ect all need to retire from international football so we can start again. However as I said the clowns at the FA would never consider something like that.

If and when Mourihnio wins the CL with RL I think he will have already cemented his legacy as the best manager of all time and he'll have nothing left to prove at club football unless he can get a team from Scotland to win the Champions league. But even he isn't that special. He could take the Utd job after Fergie retires though although I hope he doesn't.

Kelly hasn't played in the Champions league and won't for a while yet. He also hasn't had the pressure of playing title-deciding games and competitive international games (might or might not change after this summer).

He has never been one of the best wingers around. At his best he is a player with a good left foot, decent dribbling and good crossing. Nothing special ever though. This season he was a failure. Always went missing a defensive liability.

This article shows just how poor he was statistically.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1188603-liverpool-fc-statistical-analysis-of-stewart-downings-failures

Cech is not better than Hart. Not even close. Buffon's not better than him anymore either. Buffon's the best keeper I've ever seen but he's not the keeper he was 5 years ago. Back injuries have harmed him.

Mourinho won't take the United job, the City job offers him far more. It offers him everything he was denied when Chelsea treated him so badly. The chance to truly build a dynasty. He'll need a 4th CL to be the best ever and 3 more league titles. City are in a position to dominate, add Mourinho to their current team and they'd win the CL.

Kelly has played in the Champions League. Bit of research in future like a good lad. And "title deciding games" in which you played poorly and helped your team throw away the title, and international matches against mediocre teams are not the highest level. Kelly has done everything Jones has done and been more impressive in doing it.

Downing's been one of the best wingers in the league for a number of years. Last season he was one of the best player in England from December to May and carried Villa whilst Young went missing.

Aside from the fact that the Bleacher Report is a shocking website, that article is shockingly poor and isn't a statistical analysis of anything. Downing created more clear cut chances than anyone in the league, and the "shots created" category apparently doesn't include headers created. It also misses the fact that Downing had to play with Carroll who couldn't finish a well cooked meal, and hit the woodwork 6 times. Had 4 of them gone in, and had Carroll from 5 of the 25 chances Downing made for him, then Downing's season would be seen more accurately.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:19 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Ramires is very small. Maybe not in height (he's 5'11" at a push) but in build he is one of the thinnest players in the EPL.

Ramires is one of the strongest players around. Ever see him get knocked off the ball? He's not small either, just lean. He's not smaller than Jordan Henderson. He just looks so skinny because he plays next to Fat Frank in midfield.

Agreed, Ramires is pretty slight, but he it so strong, and very agile as well. He never gets knocked off the ball, even by people alot bigger than him. Class player.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:06 am

Spurs don't have that sort of money to pay for Carroll ??????????????

If he goes for less than 20 mill then Spurs will go for him, thay have just bid 15 million for Leandro (and Carroll is a better option for the prem IMO)

Spurs have spent virtually no money in the last 4 windows and they have the impenidng sales of Modric and Bale, they are already cash rich with virtually zero debts.

There problem is that with a 36K stadium at the moment they are worried about meeting the impending uefa fair play rules so are waiting to see if they are enforced and they will because platini has to back it up.

Not sure what Chelsea's and Man City's plans are with this, they just seem to be ignoring the fact that this is going to happen.

Spurs top earner is on 70K a week, most of Chelsea's and Man city's 2nd/3rd team are on that kind of money and they dont have big stadiums. Almunia was on 70K a week at Arsenal!!!! and he is oenof the worst keepers i have ever seen.

Joe Hart is as good as anyone in the world, as is Ashley Cole!
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 am

Agree about Woy though, the team lacks creativity. Not sure why we can't just admit English managers aren't very good !!!!

England were really good IMO under Robson, Venables and Hoddle- Played attacking football and looked like contenders just really didnt get the rub of the green in 90, 96 and 98.

Keegan was obviously a big mistake and after that the FA decided we have to go down the foreign route with ten years of Sven and Fabio which was just pitifull other than one game in Munich and the game against Denmark in the Euro's.

We have now gone for an english choice, but Roy is very old school continental (very similar to Sven IMO) in approach so more of the same for the next 3 years.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 am

I said, when the England job became available, that the FA had a brilliant opportunity. They should have given the job to a manager that can think on his feet, with no pressure on the Euros, but, to build a young team for the future. Whilst the old guard look dreadfully 'past it', there is some tremendous young talent that, if handled right, could be world class in a few years time. The likes of Jones, Smalling, Walker, Kelly, Wilshire, O-Chaimberlain, Sinclair, McEachren, all have the potential IMO.

At the moment, I'm afraid that many have 'hit the nail on the head' here, there are simply too many average players in this squad, and the only world class players I can see are - Hart, Cole and Rooney. I was looking at the French team the other night, the difference in quality is unbelievable.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Barnes - Platt - Gascoigne - Waddle ----------
    -Beardsley - Lineker.

And fans were moaning that Barnes Shouldnt be in the team!!!

Not sure the golden generation or the current new crop coming through are that great in comparison.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

So United have signed Kagawa now that's a a great signing. Although I'm a Wolves fan I have a little sympathy for The Albion Onadingie, Olson and now Mulumbu want out and the manager search is starting to look a bit worrying in fact I think they might end up doing what we regrettably did and promote someone in house.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 pm

I agree with what you are saying about england and the lack of creativity.

Not sure i totally agree about France though (being half French myself and a pessimist....!)

We have probably one truly world class player and that is Benzema. The rest are either great on their day but can go missing (Ribery, Nasri, Malouda), players with potential (M'Vila, Ben Arfa) or players that i don't think are necessarily better than what England have. M(Vila has a sprained ankle and will probably miss the England game, which is a REAL blow to France as we'll likely play Alou Diarra who is awful in comparison, or Cabaye out of position. M'Vila will be a star and has really become the metronome of the France team, dictating tempo etc.

I think France will line up something like this for the England game (assuing M'Vila and Matuidi are forfeit):

Lloris

Debuchy Rami Mexes Evra

Cabaye Diarra Malouda

Nasri Benzema Ribery

Really losing M'vila is a massive blow to the team, and i don't think that that line-up is so far ahead of Englands to be honest. It'll be a close game.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:26 pm

efils_god wrote:I agree with what you are saying about england and the lack of creativity.

Not sure i totally agree about France though (being half French myself and a pessimist....!)

We have probably one truly world class player and that is Benzema. The rest are either great on their day but can go missing (Ribery, Nasri, Malouda), players with potential (M'Vila, Ben Arfa) or players that i don't think are necessarily better than what England have. M(Vila has a sprained ankle and will probably miss the England game, which is a REAL blow to France as we'll likely play Alou Diarra who is awful in comparison, or Cabaye out of position. M'Vila will be a star and has really become the metronome of the France team, dictating tempo etc.

I think France will line up something like this for the England game (assuing M'Vila and Matuidi are forfeit):

Lloris

Debuchy Rami Mexes Evra

Cabaye Diarra Malouda

Nasri Benzema Ribery

Really losing M'vila is a massive blow to the team, and i don't think that that line-up is so far ahead of Englands to be honest. It'll be a close game.

I think, man for man, they are a far better outfit. Cabaye is far better than anything England have in MF, and admittedly, the big names need to 'turn up', but, there's talent running right the way through that team, plus Ben Arfa and Martin to come off the bench, I seriously see France doing well this year. Do you not see Koscielny or Clichy starting against England?
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:56 pm

The centre backs look like the weak link for France, and I have always felt Evra is really overated - he makes Aaron Lennon look like a world beater when spurs play utd.

Think they are half way to being a great team again, I do think that Carroll and Welbeck could give Mexes fits if we can get the ball up to them.

Still think that Germany will be the team to beat.

There is a punter in manchester who put a £400 treble on for City to win the prem, Chelsea to win the Champs league and Germany to win the Euro's/

He stands topocket 90K if Germany win.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:35 pm

kavik2 wrote:The centre backs look like the weak link for France, and I have always felt Evra is really overated - he makes Aaron Lennon look like a world beater when spurs play utd.

Think they are half way to being a great team again, I do think that Carroll and Welbeck could give Mexes fits if we can get the ball up to them.

There is a punter in manchester who put a £400 treble on for City to win the prem, Chelsea to win the Champs league and Germany to win the Euro's/

Wouldn't mind being in possession of that ticket like. For me the Germans look an outstanding bet, although, as I say, I've had a small flutter on France each way myself (could fail at the qtr finals against either Spain or Italy).
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    kavik2 wrote:The centre backs look like the weak link for France, and I have always felt Evra is really overated - he makes Aaron Lennon look like a world beater when spurs play utd.

Wouldn't mind being in possession of that ticket like. For me the Germans look an outstanding bet, although, as I say, I've had a small flutter on France each way myself (could fail at the qtr finals against either Spain or Italy).

Yeh defo, there must have been many times this season that he felt he had lost his bet, City sneeaked over the line and Chelsea were a shambles for 80% of the season.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I am kind of hoping that Italy get thrown out if the corruption scandal explodes, and they also lose there champions league places.

Spurs probably still wouldnt get in to the champs league tho! They will give the place to a John Terry select XI instead./
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 pm

kavik2 wrote:Wouldn't mind being in possession of that ticket like. For me the Germans look an outstanding bet, although, as I say, I've had a small flutter on France each way myself (could fail at the qtr finals against either Spain or Italy).

I am kind of hoping that Italy get thrown out if the corruption scandal explodes, and they also lose there champions league places.

Spurs probably still wouldnt get in to the champs league tho! They will give the place to a John Terry select XI instead./

TBH dude, I cannot see them losing their CL places over this. Now, if it had been an English scandal........ TBH though, next years Europa League looks quite tasty.. Atletico Madrid, Spuds, Napoli, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Toon, PSV, Lazio, Liverpool, Inter, and of course Dundee Utd.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

yes we would be gone already (English clubs)

Spurs will play there reserves/acadamy team again so there is no point in us entering it if that is what we are planning on doing.

The champs league is dull untill the quarter finals and the Europe League is worse, money really has ruined the formats for European football, the Uefa cup used to be a great tournament and difficult to win (the team that was second in there domestic league was quiet often the number one team the following year) so therefore very presitigous in its own right.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    efils_god wrote:I agree with what you are saying about england and the lack of creativity.

Lloris

Debuchy Rami Mexes Evra

Cabaye Diarra Malouda

Nasri Benzema Ribery

I think, man for man, they are a far better outfit. Cabaye is far better than anything England have in MF, and admittedly, the big names need to 'turn up', but, there's talent running right the way through that team, plus Ben Arfa and Martin to come off the bench, I seriously see France doing well this year. Do you not see Koscielny or Clichy starting against England?

Personally i'd put Koscielny ahead of Mexes, but Blanc seems set on Rami and Mexes. Rami is quality but not sold on Mexes, and Koscielny has experience of the Prem and alot more pace than Mexes.

I'm unsure of the LB spot but i prefer Evra over Clichy who i think is a bit of a liability defensively. Could go either way. Debuchy at RB is a good replacement for Sagna, and has been scouted by SAF a fair bit recently.

As i say, if M'Vila had been fit i'd really fancy our chances against England, with him sitting and Cabaye in front of him with another creator (Malouda or Nasri?). without him.....We'll see!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm