The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Football discussion

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Football discussion

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Mad ahhh bollox,thought today was going to be the day we went safe,should of known better,it's just not the forest way,back in the relegation mix Mad Mad Mad Mad
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:30 am

No mention of Ashley Young being a complete scumbag after his theatrics today?

How strange.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:No mention of Ashley Young being a complete scumbag after his theatrics today?

How strange.

TBH mate, I was going to post something to that effect, but couldn't be arsed. Was a terrible decision, not only the penalty, but also the sending off. Also found Mancini's decision making quite poor aainst Arsenal. Was clear that City needed an outlet up front, when Arsenal started to dominate 2nd half again, yet he took Nasri off (who IMO had been quite effective) and brought on Kolorov? Then gave Tevez the last 8mins........Now regardless of anyones feelings on Tevez (I personally would have kept him with the reserves all season, then got shot of him), if he's on the bench, then you have to use him, and tobring him on with 8minutes to go, 1-0 down and expect that to change the game?
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:No mention of Ashley Young being a complete scumbag after his theatrics today?

How strange.

First of all, you spent about a month trying to convince us all that Suarez didn't dive against Arsenal because there was contact so he was entitled to go down.

Last time I checked, there is contact there on Young, so based on your logic, that is not a dive.

But your logic is wrong, Young dived, as did Suarez, both should be ashamed of themselves.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Suarez's leg was taken from underneath him, Young had three fingers brush against his back and flung himself to the floor. Suarez was fouled, Young was not.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

How strange.

TBH mate, I was going to post something to that effect, but couldn't be arsed. Was a terrible decision, not only the penalty, but also the sending off. Also found Mancini's decision making quite poor aainst Arsenal. Was clear that City needed an outlet up front, when Arsenal started to dominate 2nd half again, yet he took Nasri off (who IMO had been quite effective) and brought on Kolorov? Then gave Tevez the last 8mins........Now regardless of anyones feelings on Tevez (I personally would have kept him with the reserves all season, then got shot of him), if he's on the bench, then you have to use him, and tobring him on with 8minutes to go, 1-0 down and expect that to change the game?

Mancini just earned himself the sack IMO. He's thrown away the title with his ineptness. City are by far the best team in the country, but United have Ferguson and that made the difference. But Fergie or to be honest, any manager with a club, in charge of City and they'd have the title wrapped up. Instead it's United's again.

Young has been diving a lot since joining United, don't remember him doing it as much at Villa.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Now, does that last sentence tell us more about Young's diving habits, or your own prejudices?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:38 pm

I'd like to congratulate Manchester United on winning the PL title this season despite having one of the weakest teams they have had for a while. City don't deserve to win the title and for the best team in England they are really quite weak compared to the Man Utd and Chelsea winning PL teams. Their CB partnership of Lescott-Kompany is pale in comparison to the Terry-Carvahllio and Vidic-Ferdinand partnerships. Just have a look at how bad they were in Europe. This current City side does not intimidate teams like Chelsea and Man Utd have in the past. Mancini will get sacked most likely, not sure who the replacement will be. Interesting to see what happens to Ballotelli, a complete disaster to manage and he's stupidity is quite unbelievable at times but at least he was one of the few City players giving it a 100%.

In other news GET IN NORWICH! Brilliant performance and they have done us a huge favor. Newcastle won as well though, magic goal by Ben Arfa he is real quality. This Newcastle team has really developed into a great side.

Also Young always used to dive at Villa, during the latter seasons.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:06 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'd like to congratulate Manchester United on winning the PL title this season despite having one of the weakest teams they have had for a while. City don't deserve to win the title and for the best team in England they are really quite weak compared to the Man Utd and Chelsea winning PL teams. Their CB partnership of Lescott-Kompany is pale in comparison to the Terry-Carvahllio and Vidic-Ferdinand partnerships. Just have a look at how bad they were in Europe. This current City side does not intimidate teams like Chelsea and Man Utd have in the past. Mancini will get sacked most likely, not sure who the replacement will be. Interesting to see what happens to Ballotelli, a complete disaster to manage and he's stupidity is quite unbelievable at times but at least he was one of the few City players giving it a 100%.

In other news GET IN NORWICH! Brilliant performance and they have done us a huge favor. Newcastle won as well though, magic goal by Ben Arfa he is real quality. This Newcastle team has really developed into a great side.

For me, the problem is the age old one, of too many prima donnas. They have qulaity all the way through that team. Best GK in the EPL, in Kompany, one of the best CD's, Yaya Toure would walk into any side in Europe, Silva has been unplayable at times. Too many players have stopped performing during the title run-in, they've found goals difficult to come by, Aguero, Dzeko and Ballotelli have almost disappeared over the last couple of months. I cannot see Ballotelli staying at City next season, nor can I see Mancini being there.

With regards to 4th/5th/6th So much is going to hinge upon the game between Chelsea and Toon, Wish we had been playing you this coming weekend TBH, I would have fancied our chances, but, I think that we'll finish in 6th (which I'll be well chuffed with). Champions League football would be, too much too soon IMO. If we can keep a hold of Krull, Colo, Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse; bring in one or two new faces, and keep the team spirit, who knows what we can achieve. I think that we'll lose both Tiote and Ba at the end of the season, and as long as we get good money, and bring in the right replacements, most fans will accept it. Exciting times ahead methinks. And Ben Arfa's goal today was top drawer like.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Wow. Speaking as a frenchman, on this form, Ben Afra has GOT to go to the euros!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:18 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'd like to congratulate Manchester United on winning the PL title this season despite having one of the weakest teams they have had for a while. City don't deserve to win the title and for the best team in England they are really quite weak compared to the Man Utd and Chelsea winning PL teams. Their CB partnership of Lescott-Kompany is pale in comparison to the Terry-Carvahllio and Vidic-Ferdinand partnerships. Just have a look at how bad they were in Europe. This current City side does not intimidate teams like Chelsea and Man Utd have in the past. Mancini will get sacked most likely, not sure who the replacement will be. Interesting to see what happens to Ballotelli, a complete disaster to manage and he's stupidity is quite unbelievable at times but at least he was one of the few City players giving it a 100%.

Firstly, Kompany is as good as any CB that either United or Chavski had, and City's first choice 11 is as strong as almost any team the PL has seen. The difference is in the managers.

Secondly, how bad City were in Europe? They had by far the hardest group of an of the English teams in the CL and with their points total would have qualified from almost every other group and if they were bad in Europe, what were United??

Norwich did Newcastle a favour. But Spurs are still the clear favourite for 4th.

Did Young dive a lot of Villa? I saw limited amounts in his final season and a bit there because they weren't worth watching but he didn't used to.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 am

Mryzyz wrote:Now, does that last sentence tell us more about Young's diving habits, or your own prejudices?

When I watched them under O'Neill, Young was not a diver. Chelsea reckons he dived a lot in his last few years there. I'd be curious to how much of Villa he saw during that time, but it's possible he developed diving habits there.

Ferguson is well known to encourage players to dive in the box. Multiple ex-United players have said as much.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:27 am

The Titanic cost £200m. So did Liverpool's current side.

One is a sinking ship..... The other was the Titanic.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:27 am

only a wee joke Anfield Very Happy lol!
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 am

Would be funnier if our team had cost that much. Wink
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Reina - £6m
    Enrique - £7m
    Agger - £6m
    Skrtel - £6.5m
    Johnson - £17.5m
    Downing - £20m
    Henderson - £20m
    Gerrard - Free
    Kuyt - £9m
    Suarez - £23m
    Caroll - £35m

Total - £150m

£150 million is close enough Very Happy
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Sheldan wrote:Reina - £6m
    Enrique - £7m
    Agger - £6m
    Skrtel - £6.5m
    Johnson - £17.5m
    Downing - £20m
    Henderson - £20m
    Gerrard - Free
    Kuyt - £9m
    Suarez - £23m
    Caroll - £35m

Total - £150m

Haha it was worth an effort Smile lol
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Sheldan wrote:Reina - £6m
    Enrique - £7m
    Agger - £6m
    Skrtel - £6.5m
    Johnson - £17.5m
    Downing - £20m
    Henderson - £20m
    Gerrard - Free
    Kuyt - £9m
    Suarez - £23m
    Caroll - £35m

Total - £150m

Carroll's not in the team though is he? Shelvey or Bellamy far more likely to start. Cost 1.8mil, or free. Johnson cost us 13mil, not 17.5. Henderson cost us 16mil, not 20mil.

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Liverpools transfers in and out since the Prem started.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/liverpool-transfers.html
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 pm

gutted about Coventry losing 1-3 to Bristol, its a challenge but I believe they can stay up!
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I thought it was a great result cheers

7 points clear,4 games to go.
    I think we are safe now,but I think we'll add a few more points to our total before the season ends.

I can't believe Bristol won both 6 pointers against us and Coventry though.

They were both surprising results,I had Coventry to win their second away game of the season in that one,because Coventry looked like they had hit there best form of the season in the last month or so,and Bristol are,well basically they are shit.

yes I know we lost to them the week before,but that was just one of those matches,that the result didn't at all tell the story of the match.
    I think we had something like 65% of the possession,22 attempts at goal to there 5 and they only had the one shot on target and that was the penalty they scored.

I do hope Coventry stay up and Bristol or Millwall go down instead.

4pts in 4 games is going to be tough to pull back though,but you do have an easier run in than Bristol IMO.

I think you can win your last two home games,but I think you really need to take something out of the Burnley game aswell.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Super Andy Carroll Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:

Firstly, Kompany is as good as any CB that either United or Chavski had, and City's first choice 11 is as strong as almost any team the PL has seen. The difference is in the managers.

Secondly, how bad City were in Europe? They had by far the hardest group of an of the English teams in the CL and with their points total would have qualified from almost every other group and if they were bad in Europe, what were United??

Norwich did Newcastle a favour. But Spurs are still the clear favourite for 4th.

Did Young dive a lot of Villa? I saw limited amounts in his final season and a bit there because they weren't worth watching but he didn't used to.

Kompany isn't anywhere near prime Terry, Vidic, Carvallio or Ferdinand IMO. At their best all could have been considered the best in the world. Lescott isn't even close, he's closer to the likes of Alex and Brown than Terry or Vidic.

I disagree their starting 11 is as good as any PL team. Their attack might be but outside Silva, Nasri and Toure their Midfield lacks quality. Barry, De Jong, Milner and Pizarro lack the quality for the highest level. Nasri has been inconsistent this season although I don't think Mancini has used him as well as he could have and Silva has dropped down drastically in the last couple of weeks.

City were poor in Europe, never looked all that impressive in any of their games. United were comical in Europe this season but as I mentioned this is one of the worst United teams in years which makes their victory in the PL title race all the more impressive IMO. Fergie and Scholes deserve all the credit in the world for United's success this season. Fergie for being able to get the best out of average players and turning them into top performers. Nevermind the likes of Young and Valencia, but just have a look at Johnny Evans who looks like a completely different players in the last few weeks. Carrick as well has had a great season. Since Scholes has returned the United team has looked infinitely better.

They have done us a favor too because it means we still have a chance and spurs are fading badly. Their top 2 players Bale and Modric are looking more and more exhausted by the game.

Not counting this season I watched alot of Villa over the last 2-3 years. One of my close delusional mates was a Villa fan who was convinced every season that they could make the Champions league and as a result I watched a lot of Villa games. At first Young didn't dive because he was in terrific form and defenses had a hard time dealing with him but he was found out after a while and was kept quite. That's when the diving started.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389011/Ashley-Young-Im-diver.html

That article shows that Young was accused of (and rightfully so) diving for Aston Villa plenty of times, while Sunday's incident was one of a few cases for United this season. I don't recall a player coming to United having been a saint and then suddenly becoming a diver, far from it in my opinion. The likes of Ronaldo and Nani started their United careers with a number of dives, and as their United careers continued, that began to stop.

Nice to see Kenny Dalglish continuing to embarrass Liverpool last night by the way.

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Sheldan wrote:

Nice to see Kenny Dalglish continuing to embarrass Liverpool last night by the way.

Whats more embarrassing doing an interview and standing up for one of your players and speaking your mind, or, spitting your dummy out and refusing to do interviews?????

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:47 pm